- Text Size +
A/N: Yup, this is the next chapter you’re staring at! Aren’t you excited? Hehe. Read on and enjoy! Don’t forget to leave a review behind! *grins*



“Troubling Gifts”



**~A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste~**



**~Chapter Twenty-Six- Mistaken Identity~**



Brian and Howie stand outside the looming building watching Nick and Rose sneak into an opening that seemed like an attic.



“You guys why did you come back?” Dr. Natalie states, eying the blond man suspiciously.



Nick gulps and smiles, “Oh we have go through here. Cause where we came from is locked. Somehow a door in there was locked from the outside, so we couldn’t get in.” He tries gulping yet his heart was hammering. He believes Natalie knew something but assumed she wouldn’t say until the time is right. He snaps out of his thoughts when Rose tugs on his arm.



“Come let’s go! We have about a couple of minutes before we leave this place!” Rose whispers loudly, her blue eyes shining in fear. Nick nods his head and races behind Rose down some stairs that lead back into the building.



“You got eight minutes guys! Hurry!” Jamelet states as Summer paces back and forth frantically. “What? What is it?” Jamelet asks, her dark medium brown locks tumble pass her shoulders and blow softly in the cool breeze.



Summer gazes at Jamelet with concern on her face. “I’m not leaving until Riley, A.J. and Kevin get here. I can’t leave knowing they can be in danger.” Her green eyes clouded with worry as she runs her fingers down her short blonde locks.



Jamelet sighs, “Fine. Natalie will keep trying to contact them but we can’t stand around this area, the soldiers might walk back here if they hear too much noise.” She states as Summer smiles softly mouthing a small “Thank you.”

~*~



A.J. yawns as Riley tries again to get in contact with the others in the other group. Riley sighs and frustrated, throws the walkie talkie down on the grey tiles.



“Oh this is nice. We’re lost and our leader can’t seem to find the way out. In fact this is the way I always dreamed of getting lost: with Kevin, the horny child Nick and a leader without a clue.” A.J. mutters under his breath but loud enough for the others to hear.



Kevin pushes A.J. playfully, “Watch your mouth shorty!” he states, standing over A.J. glaring at him.



“Hey take that back, I ain’t a child!” Nick states grinning silly as Riley laughs.



“Ok, ok guys, look I think I’m getting through with the walkie talkie, shut up and let me listen.” Riley states as he can hear some crackling and voices through the walkie talkie. “Doctor, can you hear me?” He asks waiting impatiently as the other three men lean in closer to hear.



“Yes clearly, where are you?” Natalie’s voice is heard. Kevin laughs as A.J. and Nick give each other a high five and clap.



“Listen I’m back in the room, where are you guys?” Riley asks, his brown eyes scanning the royal blue curtains in front of him as he runs his fingers through his black unruly curls.



“Outside.” She responds back as her group yells happily.



“Outside!? And you’re still alive? How can that be?” Riley asks as he drums his light chocolate fingers on a desk top.



“We headed out the back way, where the renovations will take place. It’s the construction site but it’s the only way out without getting seen.” Natalie’s voice seeped through the walkie talkie.



“Great! Well we’ll see ya in a few minutes then k.” Riley states as he places his pistol into a small pocket in his black cargo pants. “Alrighty guys you heard the doctor, let’s go!” He says staring at three happy men. He races down the hallway taken previously by the first group and leads the way out the building.

~*~



Rose steps into the long hallway where they had walked so many times to find their way out. “If we take this way, the building is already heavy guarded and we’ll be seen.”



“And if we take this way, we’ll get spotted and shot.” Nick states, his blue eyes gloomy. “Let’s go down the fastest way, I don’t have time for this.”



Rose stares at Nick suspiciously as Nick’s voice seemed to have changed. In fact it seemed that Nick was acting very strangely and she knew she couldn’t be the only one noticing the changes. Feeling the sudden nerve to trust her instincts, she realized she couldn’t be safe with this man beside her. Something was telling her that he wasn’t as safe as he looked. “Nick, you know what, how about you go down that hallway and I take the other.” She figured if she could get away from him, she’ll be safe.



“No more splitting up, let’s go down the left side and we’ll get there quick, I think I know the best way.” Nick states, his stormy blue gaze at her.



Rose gulps nervously, “How would you know the best way, you’re lucky you can find your way around here without getting lost.” She jokes, smiling, hoping he’ll play along.



She gazes at his eyes only to see pure hatred imbedded in the clouds of blue. He mutters a loud profanity and grabs her by her blonde locks, “I say you do it my way or you’ll be my shield when we leave the place.”



Rose gulps as the chills in her body run down her body. “Who are you? What the hell do you want from me?” She screams at him, her voice cracking, suddenly feeling terrified.



Nick sighs and knew he cover was blown, “Fine. Don’t worry about who I am, your little blond boyfriend isn’t with me. But if I had the chance I would have blown his boy band brains out.” Damien seethes, his blue eyes glowing in rage.



Rose stands there and knew she was in trouble. She presses her back against the dingy white walls of the hallway and figured if she didn’t run, her death would come closer than she thought. Tugging on her pink flowered peasant top and jean skirt, she looks at the man she thought was helping her out.



Damien pulls out a pistol and is loaded with guns strapped beneath his clothes. He pushes the pistol end at Rose’s forehead and smiles. “Sorry this is as close you’ll ever get to that Nick. But hey to make it up to you, I knew you wanted to know what it’s like to kiss him, well just pretend it’s him.” Damien states as he leans down and kisses her check and makes his way to her mouth. Rose stands there in pure terror as Damien roughly presses his sour lips on her soft lips. She tries pushing him away but he was a lot stronger than he looked. Frustrated and crying out she bites his lower lip hard as he pulls away and slaps her across her face. “You little bit…”



“How dare you!?” She interrupts trying hard to keep her voice down as two armed soldiers pass near by them. “Now I know why no one is coming here. I saw the soldiers looking at us and they did nothing. I knew something was up when they didn’t shoot like they were trained on the spot.” Rose voice quivers as she watches Damien laugh softly.



“Looks like you’re little plan of escaping won’t be happening now will it? I’m sure your so called friends left already. Rose, they don’t care about you, they’ll leave you here and see you dead then to ever save you. Sweetie you should have known no one here is good for trust.” Damien whispers, his short spikes glittering in the dim yellow light.



She couldn’t use her powers yet, it wasn’t refueled yet since the last time and she felt too weak to do anything to this man.



“Actually she does have friends and I would never leave her behind.” A familiar voice says. Damien turns around to see a pistol in his face. “It’s loaded, wanna see?” Nick states to Damien as he fingers the weapon in his hand.



“Kid put the weapon down, you might hurt yourself with it.” Damien whispers playfully, laughing at Nick. Nick gulps and pushes the trigger to hear a pop sound as a bullet shoots out and crashes into Damien’s forehead. Damien stands there, staring eerily at Nick before a small trail of blood leaks from the small bullet hole in the center of his forehead. Damien collapses on the floor dead as Nick drops the gun and shakes in terror. “Oh God, I killed him!, I killed him! No! What was I thinking?” He shouts terrified at his actions.



“It’s ok, thank you! You saved my life. He was gonna kill me if you didn’t do that.” Rose states as relief flooded her system. “Nick it’s gonna be ok, look forget the needles for now, let’s get out.”



Nick bites his lower lip and follows Rose out through a cellar area. Nick stares back to where Damien’s body is lying and Nick feels his mouth drop open. There was no body there. Damien had left. Gulping and feeling an immediate chill and goose bumps arising on his pale complexion, he goes up the steps to join the others outside.

~*~



A.J. and Kevin jump out the window as Riley follows along.



“Wait where is Nick?” Kevin asks looking back up the window.



“He was right behind me, He must have went down the wrong hallway.” Riley states as he sees the other group and smiles.



A.J. turns around in time to see Nick step out of the building on the side where the soldiers are and watches as bullets bombarded his friend’s body.



“NOOOO!!! STOP! NICK!” A.J. screams as Nick collapses dead on the ground, blood spattered all over the place as the crimson liquid leaks out like rushing water, staining the green grass. Riley holds onto A.J. who was ready to run off and try to save his friend but it was too late.



“A.J.! It’s too late! We can’t do anything but save ourselves!” Riley states as he watches the dead corpse of Nick surrounded by soldiers all loaded with weapons.



Tears spring into Brian’s eyes as he witness the act, “Nick, I’m so sorry.” He whispers as his heart breaks in pain.



“Sorry for what? Dude I’m right here, why are you sad?” Nick states, standing next to him with Rose.



Brian shakes his head, “No! You can’t be here, you’re dead! I saw you get shot! Your body is over there!” He points as his voice quivers in confusion and fright.



“No, that’s not me! He was trying to pass off as me!” Nick states, feeling nervous. He knew Damien wasn’t dead when he shot him. It was a blank bullet which he fired and hence didn’t do any effect on Damien. That’s why Damien wasn’t afraid when Nick shot the gun. Now the problem was to prove who he truly is.



He sees Riley rushing over and in pure shock sees Nick standing there. Suddenly an idea rushed into Riley’s head, “You little…” Riley whispers angrily and left the sentence incomplete as he tackles Nick on the ground. Nick screams out in shock and terrified, tries to push a violent Riley off him.



He looks at Rose from the ground, hoping she can help him but she herself was too in shock to say a word. Brian shakes in terror as Howie screams out, “Who is he? He looks like Nick!” Kevin glares at Nick and watches as Riley pulls out a small hand gun and places it on Nick’s temple.



“You thought you were gonna get away. I’m sure Roy put you up to this. Well are you happy? One of them died! Are you happy? You destroyed their lives, I wonder how you’ll sleep that is if I let you live tonight!” Riley’s voice shouts in Nick’s face.



Nick tries talking but Riley clasped his hand around Nick’s neck. Nick was in trouble and Rose was the only one who knows his real identity. He just hopes she can say anything before Riley does the mistake of killing him. Nick stands there as Summer, A.J. with Alison in his arms, Jamelet, Paige, Natalie, Ana, Kimberly, Brian, Howie and Kevin watch what Riley would do next. Nick closes his eyes and did the only thing he can do at that point, he prayed and looks at Brian hoping maybe he can help him, if not then it’s too late for him.

~**~

**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**