- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste~**



**~Chapter Thirty- Walking Away From The Pain~**



Her screams ring out into the still darkness as bullets remain frozen in mid air. She sits up to see A.J. frozen in fear, his big chocolate eyes covered in pure trepidation. He was still just like everyone else who stood frozen in time. Alison gulps and runs her fingers through her medium dark brown hair, which remained in a small bun. She gazes down at her yellow thin strapped shirt and sighs. She rubs her pale snowy fingers over her dark denim covered knees and looks at the frozen scenery before her. Her eyes stop at Roy who was the kidnapper, she remembered his threats and how he was close to shooting and killing her if it weren’t for the minor distractions the experiments were making trying to break free from the institution. She was thankful she woke up from the frightful drug that she had inhaled when one of the soldiers kidnapped her. She feels the goose bumps rising on her arms as she crawls painfully over to the driver’s seat and gets out the truck. She turns back to see a grenade sitting besides A.J. and quickly she grabs it and flings it back to where Roy was standing. The grenade makes a clinking noise as it rolls pass Roy’s feet. She smiles as time resumes and everyone shouts and ducks for cover.



Alison could hear A.J. screaming for help as he panicked in the truck believing the grenade was beside him.



“We’re gonna die, it’s too late!” Kimberly shouts sadly, her dark brown eyes glittering in misery as she and Rose back away from the shooting Roy and soldiers. Jamelet and Ana duck besides the truck avoiding the flying bullets that crash into the ground. Dr. Natalie backs away near Alison as Riley begins shooting back; every once in a while pulling out another loaded pistol. Alison gulps and watches the disarray before her. No one paid mind that she was awake and doing well because of the bullets that set off distractions. Brian runs past Alison ducking for cover until he stops and sees her, a big smile spreads on his face. He joins her and takes cover beside her.



“You’re awake! God you don’t know how happy I am to see you’re ok!” Brian whispers as a bullet swipes pass them, grazing Alison’s shoulder.



“I’m fine, I was drugged that’s all. I guess a lot happen since I was taken.” Her bright eyes glitter in joy, “We’re out of the building and are about to cross the boundary. Over that line and we’ll be ok. Even the government will help us get out of here.”



Suddenly coughing was heard as Nick and Rose creeps up besides them, their backs against the truck as bullets came flying towards their direction.



Summer watches A.J. jump out the truck and tackle her on the ground as a bullet came at her. Her green eyes stare up at him in surprise and she smiles. “Thanks!”



A.J. chuckles, “No problem girl, I got you covered.”



Roy laughs and smiles knowing full well that he won. He turns to see his army loaded with artillery. There was no way the experiments can leave and he would make sure of that. He was determined to follow through with Dr. Sanchez’s plan, even though the man died still there was some form of respect that Roy carried when he remembered how the doctor took him under his wing. His brown eyes twinkle in glee as he holds his firing magnum in his soft brown hands. He laughs and takes a nice cold breath of air in. A small beeping sounded near by him through all the shooting and shouting. His eyes gaze at the dark cement ground to see a blinking grenade centimeters away from his feet. It’s too late now, the grenade has been activated and he’s in its path. He’s swallowed by the loud earth shattering explosion as he feels his lungs take in the last breath of air he’ll ever take in his life. The thunderous sound vibrates through his body as it pulls his limbs away from his living body. The raging fire sprays onto his flesh immediately. The large consuming fire eats away at his skin as the last thing he hears before closing his eyes is rejoicing from the experiments. They won and he was surprised he failed. It was his first time he ever failed and he hated the feeling. And with that he is welcomed into the silent dark void of death that consumes him.



Suddenly as Kevin, Howie and Paige take cover in the back of the truck: a deafening, ringing, exploding sound breaks out in the night. The grenade went off and they all watch as the grenade blows up all the soldiers, taking lives along with it. The soft crackling is heard as the ground shakes softly from the passing explosion. Wisps of smoke and splintered flesh odors rises into the night air as the dead broken bodies of what once was soldiers lie deposited on the ground.



Kevin sighs and steps out of the back of the truck followed by Howie and Paige.



“It’s over.” Howie whispers softly as the soft small flames burn through a burnt cloth of a dead corpse. His short brown locks blow softly in the wind, as his tan complexion glowed in the golden street lights.



Kevin smiles, his emerald eyes reflecting happiness. “We’re free, we can go home now.” Kevin states quickly as he runs his fingers through his black spikes.



A.J. gets up from the ground and helps Summer get on her feet. A.J. smiles and grabs Summer’s hand playfully and they both run to cross the boundary line screaming in joy. “YESSS!! Thank God almighty we’re free at last!” A.J. shouts, jumping in joy.



Summer smiles when she sees Jamelet and Ana walking over to join them over the line.



“We did it!” Ana states, her bluish green eyes open wide in excitement. She smiles as the wind blows gently on her light blonde locks in a braid.



Jamelet gazes down the end of the deserted road to see the remains of what once was the institution of hell. A compound of torture that ended tonight and for that she smiles. Her peach complexion glowed in the golden street lights and she takes a deep breath. “I can’t believe it!”



“I can’t believe I lived through this and still have my sanity.” Responds Nick as he and Rose move away from the truck to walk across the boundary line to join the others.



Rose gazes to see Kimberly smiling and laughing as she leaps over the line. Her dark brown hair seemed to glow tonight with her red highlights shimmering in the essence of the street lights. Kimberly runs her light tan hands over her black halter top and dark blue jeans. Giggling, Kimberly points over to where Brian is at to see a healthy and wide awaken Alison walking towards their direction. Rose smiles, her blond locks flapping in the wind as she rubs her blue eyes with her soft white hands. “Am I seeing things? Is Ali really ok?” Rose states excitedly running to give Alison a huge hug.



Kevin, Howie and Paige all run over the boundary line to embrace Alison with a hug. Then everyone else joined in the hug.



“Oh group hug! How cute!” Natalie states, her straight dark brown hair blows over her light tan face as she licks her dark powder lips. She throws her arms over the large group and laughs as they were all safe from harm. No more evil, no more fear for them. They were ok and she liked that.



Suddenly Nick asks about the vaccinations. Natalie smiles and pulls out of her lab pocket five different colored vials. “I didn’t forget Nick, don’t worry.”



“But we didn’t find a needle for that. How can you inject the medication to us without it?” Questions Nick curiously as Riley smiles and pulls out a small needle from his pocket.



“See, I’m always prepared.” Riley states, his brown eyes glitter in the yellow street light. His light chocolate hands grips a small needle and hands it to Natalie who places the first tube: a blue colored vial on the needle.



Natalie brushes some of brown locks aside as she smiles at Nick, “Well looks like you’ll be first contender Nick.”



Nick gulps as Natalie lifts Nick’s right wrist close to her. She injects the medicine and pierces Nick’s wrist. The blue liquid disappears from the tube as it gets transferred into Nick’s wrist. “There, all done.”



Nick shakes his head in confusion, “That’s it? I can’t start fires anymore?”



Natalie nods her head as she places a purple fluid vial on the needle. “Yup just like that. I mean give it a few hours or so, but your powers will be drained. The rizado liquid will be destroyed in your system. No more crystalline liquid for you Nick.”



Nick smiles and watches as Howie turns his back on Natalie who injects the needle into the back of Howie’s neck. The purple substance drains into his flesh as Howie grimaces in slight pain.



“Sorry, I’m trying to be as gentle as I can.” Dr. Natalie states softly as she pulls the needle away from the man. “Who’s next?”



A.J. gulps and smiles at Summer, “Me, I’ll go. Let’s get this over with.”



Natalie smiles and takes the empty purple vial and places a yellow vial on the needle. “Ok, this one is gonna hurt.”



A.J. takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, he feels Summer grabs his right hand and squeezes it softly for comfort. Natalie injects the needle into the small back of A.J.’s head as A.J. yelps quietly in pain. “Sorry Alex.” Natalie whispers as the yellow substance drains into the skin of A.J.



Natalie takes the needle out and switches it to black colored vial. “Ok, Kevin your turn. You’re ok?” She asks to Kevin who held a concerned look on his face.



Kevin quickly nods and gulps as he reveals his arms to her. Natalie walks over to his left arm and injects Mystil 4 into his arm. Kevin watches as the tube empties out and the black liquid enters his body through the tiny piercing in his arm.



Natalie draws the needle out and switches to the last vial: the clear Nystan 2. She smiles at Brian as he walks over to her.



“Before you do this, are you sure this will work?” Brian asks nervously as Natalie lifts his right hand up near the needle.



“Yeah, you saw it yourself on the computer. This is your way home to a normal life. You do want that don’t you?” Natalie asks quietly at Brian.



He nods his head, “Of course I do. I want to be able to wake up and stare into my wife’s eyes and know it’s ok that I won’t harm her in any way just by looking at her.”



Natalie smiles and injects the needle into his hand, the clear liquid drains into his hand and she pulls away the needle.



“Well do you feel any different?” Ana asks, her bluish green eyes examining all five men before her.



“I don’t know, am I supposed to feel any different?” Nick asks and smiles, winking at Rose.



Kimberly sighs, her dark brown hair blowing in the breeze. “So I guess this is it. I mean you guys are heading back home to be stars again.”



Nick laughs, “You know since I came here I completely forget about the fact that I’m supposedly famous. It’ll be weird to go back to my life after what I experienced here.”



“Same here boy. I have no idea what I’m gonna tell my fiancé about this.” A.J. whispers as rubs the back of his head painfully.



“Tell her what I’m gonna say to my wife, that I bang my head real hard and was in a dream state reality.” Kevin says smirking.



A.J. rolls his eyes and asks Jamelet where the nearest airport is around here. Jamelet explains and points down a long deserted highway.



“I guess it’s time to say bye.” Brian whispers gently. “We have a long way home and a lot of explaining to do.”



Kimberly giggles, “Wait, you promised at the end of all this that you’ll sing to me!”



Brian nods and laughs, “And I never break a promise.” And with that sings a short melody for her. Kimberly smiles as he autographs her hand with a pen Jamelet was carrying.



Riley laughs and waves bye, giving the guys a handshake, “Hey now that I know you guys, I’m gonna buy your music!”



At that statement everyone laughs.



The guys hug the women and thank Alison so much for her rescuing. “You know if it wasn’t for you, I don’t think we would have made it out of here.” Howie states, hugging Alison.



Alison smiles and giggles. “I did only what I thought would help. In all honesty I was just scared and screamed. I didn’t think it would do anything.”



“Well it did and thanks!” A.J. states: smiling. “Hey Summer I won’t forget you. I’ll e-mail you later. I promise.” He states crossing his chest with his fingers.



Summer giggles and waves bye as the five men start walking away from them. With their backs turn they raise their hands and wave bye. Then laughing they all turn back to them and blow a kiss. “Thank you for everything!”



Natalie smiles, “No problem, we were in this together.”



And with this the five men walk away singing all ready and happy to get their life back.



Jamelet smiles and faces Natalie. The other five girls were talking excitedly about what they will do now as Summer watches the men disappear down the road. Riley puts away his guns and checks his watch.



“You didn’t tell them did you?” Jamelet asks Natalie.



Natalie bites her lower lip and shakes her head, “No, I didn’t. I didn’t have the heart to tell them.”



“Didn’t have the heart to tell them what?” Summer asks abruptly.



“Nothing.” Jamelet states calmly.



Summer narrows her eyes, “Nothing sounds a lot more like something. Now tell me.” She grumbles.



Natalie gulps and shakes her head as she nibbles on her lip. “Well see the whole medicine thing was just a hoax. You can’t heal what’s naturally there. There is no cure for them and their not in real danger. Those weren’t the men in the experiment1B. What they have is a gift and they’re ok. We just gave them a placebo. They’ll be fine. Sanchez set this up assuming it was them. But he was wrong.”



“So what you’re telling me is they still have those powers?” Summer asks incredulously.



Jamelet and Natalie both nod their heads and watch as the shadows of the five men disappear down the road out of their sight.



Ana laughs, “Oh yeah, their shows will be quite interesting to see now.”



Riley whistles, “Wow, what a gift. They have talent in more than one way.”



Rose and Kimberly shake their heads and sighs, “Man, I hope the guys won’t get mad when they find out they still have those, how should I say? Troubling gifts.” Rose states.



Paige giggles as they begin their journey down the highway to the same airport, “Well at least we can say we met the Backstreet Boys.”



Jamelet smiles and laughs, “Yeah, you’re right about.”



“See one good thing did come out of this. We’re free and I touched Howie!” Ana squeals. The eight women head over to the airport to get on with their lives as they walk away all laughing.



Riley laughs and pulls out his cell phone, he’s going home and he couldn’t wait.



The five girls smile knowing they can live the way they did before the government entered their lives.



Jamelet and Natalie sigh knowing they couldn’t wait to get back to their families and go home.



Summer smirks and tucks away A.J.’s e-mail address in her pocket. She knows she’ll be using that as soon as she gets home.



**~THE END~**