- Text Size +
“Troubling Gifts”



**~Chapter Six- Experiments Gone Wrong~**



The dim yellow lights lit up the isolated hallway that Summer and Jamelet walks in. After going down a few stairwells, the place where as Summer would say the “the prisoners are held” is located. Going down the cement pathway through a large copper door, laid a hallway, showing four prisons and at the end of the hallway laid a large metal silver iron door. Jamelet pulls out a keycard and types in a password on a small flat screen next to the copper door. After accessing the code, the door slides open allowing entrance to Summer and Jamelet. Summer follows closely behind as they walk down the quiet hallway. Only the sounds of their heels clicking on the hard cement ground provided some noise in the eerie quietness. Summer stares at the four prisons, each cell had a twin bed and a small dresser. A small bathroom with a shower and tub which was provided and there in the center of the cell was an entertainment system: with a TV and everything electronic that can provide some form of entertainment. The bathroom itself had a doorway and an oak door that allowed privacy in the bathroom.



Summer was stunned with how beautiful the cells looked. It was designed as a small studio apartment, looking comfortable and cozy. A small red carpet was strewn in each cell near the beautifully covered beds. There were red laced curtains hung across a wide circular window exposing the garden outside in front of the CAPPA institution. A small leather beige chair was in the center of each of the rooms for relaxation. Different pictures hung in each of the four cells. The first cell had no one in it.



Summer stops and looks at that cell. “Jamelet, why is there no one here in this cell?” Her green eyes blinking, taking in the scenery before her. The cell smelled of fresh mahogany and perfume.



Jamelet walks to the next cell beside the empty one. “That cell is not being used.”



Summer drew a confused look, “So one of them is sharing a cell with someone else?”



Jamelet shakes her head no and points to the cell in front of her, “Come, I want to introduce you to someone.”



Summer nods her head and stands beside Jamelet looking into the cell. There in the cell was a young sixteen year old with a full set of dark brown wavy hair, mid-length down her back. Her hair hung loosely down her back. The sunlight coming through the window reflected the natural red highlights aligning the hair. Her light tan skin glowed brilliantly in the sunlight as she sat in the center of the chair staring at them with big dark brown eyes. In her eyes a beautiful shade of amber rings surrounds the dark brown.



Jamelet smiles and waves to the girl in the chair. “Come over here, you have a visitor, say hi to her.” She states to the young woman. The teen stands up at a height of five feet seven inches and gently steps close to the front of the prison where the thick black bars are. Placing her hands on the bars, the girl smiles at Summer.



Summer gulps nervously and says a quiet hello. “Jamelet, I don’t see anything wrong with her. She seems innocent enough. Why does she have to be locked away like this? Like she’s some kind of animal.”



Jamelet smiles and looks at Summer gently, “Something is wrong with her. I never said she had something physically wrong with her. It’s in here where the trouble lies.” Jamelet states, pointing to the side of her own head.



Summer gulps and nervously speaks to the young woman in front of her. “Hi, what’s your name? I’m Summer. I work here.”



The girl tugs on her black halter top and rubs her fingers on the dark blue jean pockets she’s wearing. Smiling, the girl spoke softly, “I’m Kimberly but you can call me Kim.” She smiles and sticks her hands out of the bars to shake Summer’s hand.



Summer nervously shakes the girl hands and stares at Kimberly for a few seconds before Jamelet interrupts.



“You’re probably wondering what Kim can do right?” Jamelet states.



Summer nods her head, “I don’t know if that’s a good idea.” She states nervously staring at the young teen before her.



Jamelet smiles, “It’s ok, she won’t hurt you, will you Kim?”



Kim shakes her head and backs away from the cell bars smiling.



“Go ahead, sweetie, show Summer what you can do.” Jamelet states quietly.



Kim smiles and her cinnamon colored lips take a deep breath. She closes her eyes and spreads out her hands away from her on the side. When she opens her eyes, the amber rings in her eyes glowed brilliantly and suddenly the ground shook violently. Summer gasp and grabs onto Jamelet’s arm in surprise.



“What is she doing?” Summer shouts out over the rumbling of the ground shaking.



Jamelet smiles and tells Kim to stop, “Ok that’s enough for now Kim.”



Kimberly nods her head and places her arms down her side. At once the ground stopped shaking. Summer draws in a deep shaky breath and stares at Jamelet waiting for an explanation.



“She has the power of the Earth. Meaning, she can cause tremendous earthquakes, cause landslides, mud slides, avalanches and if she’s lucky move land apart, all with her mind, she can also camouflage with her surroundings if she wanted to.” Jamelet explains to Summer. Summer stares wide eyed at the girl and at Jamelet.



“Why wasn’t I informed of this before I was applying for this job?” Summer states, her breath coming in rapidly.



“Because this is a well kept secret. This organization has withheld this data from the parts of government for more than a decade.” Jamelet states confidently, her medium brown eyes staring at Kim.



Summer gulps and asks, “But why lock her up like this? She doesn’t seem like a danger now.”



Jamelet shakes her head, “She’s not a danger now, but as she grows, she can lose control of her powers and endanger everyone in the society.”



“Isn’t there an anti-drug that can combat these powers?” Summer asks quietly watching Kim grab a seat watching TV.



“We’re working on it. But until there is, this organization owns her, she’s our property.” Jamelet states sadly.



Summer gulps, “I can’t believe this.”



“Come, I wanna show you the other two girls.” Jamelet states, moving across Kimberly’s cell to another similar cell only with a different young woman in it.



Summer steps close to the bars to look into the cell. There lying on the bed was a young teen staring at her. Standing up the young woman at five feet eight inches with blond hair inches above her shoulders lies layered on her shoulders. Her white complexion shines beautifully in the sunlight that trickles through the wide glass window.



“Good evening Rose, how are you doing?” Jamelet asks calmly.



Rose simply smiles and tugs on her light pink flowered peasant top and a knee length jean skirt. Walking near the bars, her beige sandals barely touches the floor.



Summer notices this and backs away from the cell in fright.



Jamelet smiles and pulls on Summer’s arm, “Here, I wanna introduce you two. This is Rose. She’s precious, if you haven’t noticed yet what her power is.”



Summer stands shaking, “Did, did she just float?” She stammers out frighten, feeling the goose bumps emerging on her arms.



“She has the power of wind. She can cause hurricanes and tornadoes. And the neat part about her power is she can float at times when she wants, of course that doesn’t happen very often. She showed you a small part of what she can do when she came floating over to you.” Jamelet states eying Summer through the corner of her eyes.



Summer shakes her head nervously, “I don’t know if I wanna see the other three.”



Jamelet laughs, “Sure you do, you’ll only see two more. I promise it won’t be so bad.”



Rose looks at Summer and smiles, “What’s your name? I haven’t seen you around here before?” She asks quietly.



“I, I, uh, I work here. Jamelet told me about you guys and I had to come see you, to see if it’s true.” Summer answers nervously, turning her head away from the girl.



“Well it is. Do you know I can do other things as well?” Rose states, a naughty smile appearing on her face.



Jamelet shook her head, “Behave Rose.”



“I am, I just wanna show her my true powers.” Rose states smiling at the petrified Summer.



Summer turns her head to Jamelet, “I say we go check out the other three before it gets too late.” She states nervously.



Jamelet smiles, “Lucky for you, we’re gonna move on and check out the others. Rose was gonna use what we call the ‘death call.’



Summer’s eyes grew big, “Say what, care to repeat?” She chokes out in fear.



Jamelet laughs, “Since Rose has the power of wind, she can scream at a high pitch, like a howling wind during those thunderstorms that bang and rattle on the windows. In other words she can make us deaf.”



Summer fakes a smile and responds, “I, I don’t find that funny. See the mouth, no laughing coming from there.” Summer states.



Jamelet throws an arm around the confused Summer and leads her to another cell, this one with a young teen of about fifteen with short blonde hair down her shoulders and orange tips. Her blue grey eyes lit up when she saw Jamelet appearing in front of her cell. She was curled with her legs pulled up to her chest and her head was lying on her knees. She seems wet, with drops of water dripping off of her face, arms and legs. Her clothes: a black tank top with a blue dragon in the center of the shirt and dark blue denims seemed drenched as drops of water fall off her clothes and skin. Shivering a little, she stands up and greets Jamelet, walking to the bars in front of her.



“Summer, allow me to introduce to you Paige, the youngest of Experiment 1A. She’s fifteen. In case you’re curious, she has the power of water. Which explains why she’s all wet now. She can produce water, make it rain, thunderstorm, she can create floods, she can raise water and if she was being bad, can drown people in water.” Jamelet explains to Summer.



Summer shakes her head in disbelief, “How, why would your father do such things to these innocents lives? Can you honestly tell me this is right, testing them, giving them phenomenal powers and then locking them up. Because of CAPPA, they can’t live a normal life. Am I the only who sees this as wrong?”



Jamelet smiles, “What’s done is done. I can’t change the past any more than you can. Which is why this company doesn’t ever want to see such failures again.”



Summer rolls her green eyes, “Ok, fine, but listen the minute you can cure them, you’ll let them go, right?!” Shouts Summer feeling her heart go weak at the poor sight of the girls locked up.



“I promise. I feel as hurt as you do. When my father told me about them, I was so hurt, seeing them like this. But we don’t have a choice. The government doesn’t want them, the community is scared senseless and their parents are afraid of them. No one was going to care for them. Only us. So we did want is right and let them live here as normally as they can with us watching them and finding any answers that can heal them.” Jamelet states anxiously moving to a large iron door.



Summer follows Jamelet to the door and points, “What the heck is that behind the door?”



Jamelet points to the door, as the three girls behind the bars leans their heads to see what is going to happen. “Get ready, this one behind this door is feisty.”



Summer backs up, “Feisty as in hot?” She states, her green eyes wide open.



Laughing from the three girls breaks the silence as Jamelet explains. “No, she just gets a little wild. She’s tame though, don’t worry, she won’t hurt you, I have her under a tranquilizer today. I came down here before about an hour ago to calm her down.”



Summer grimace, “You know I don’t find this amusing. You’re getting enjoyment watching me almost piss myself scared, aren’t ya?”



Jamelet shakes her head, “Why no Summer, how ever can you think that?” She states sarcastically as she swipes the keycard into the slot besides the iron door. The door clicks and slides open to see a cold room. The room looks just like the other cells the other girls have. Cold smoke comes out of the room touching the delicate flesh of Jamelet and Summer.



Summer hugs herself, rubbing her arms, “Man why’s it’s so cold in here?”



Jamelet enters the room like cell, only instead of the bars, an iron door was put up. “This girl right here, is a special one.” She states pointing to a young sixteen year old, with light blond hair down her broad shoulders in a low ponytail. Her white skin shines brilliantly in the bright room as the sun enters through the wide window. The red lace curtains flutter as a small breeze of cold air filters into the room. The girl stands up at an average height with a tight dark blue tank top and light blue jeans with a rip on the knees, exposing her light color. Her bluish green eyes stare at Summer and smiles.



“Summer” Jamelet begins, “This is Ana, her power is ice. She has the ability to freeze and create hail storms. She can make it snow and if she’s bad, she can freeze anything she touches.”



Ana smiles and whispers “Hi.” Extending her hand to Summer’s. Summer forces a smile and simply waves, fearing the girl looks like trouble. Laughing the girl shakes her head, “I promise not to freeze you. I’ll behave. I have too. Miss Jamelet gave me a tranquilizer that numbs my freezing ability for a few hours.” As she speaks, an icy breath comes out of her mouth with each word.



Summer stares at Jamelet who’s saying bye to Ana and leaves the cell with Summer closely behind.



“I hope you come back for another visit, Miss Summer.” Ana states with a naughty grin on her face.



Summer just gives her a quick nod, “We’ll see.” And with that leaves the room. Summer stares and notices that she only saw four of the five girls. She was about to ask Jamelet about that when suddenly her cell went off. Turning it off, Summer was about to complain to Jamelet about strange Ana seemed in there when suddenly Jamelet’s pager went off.



Looking down, Jamelet grabs the pager and smiles, “Well Summer, it looks like we got company. Experiment 1b just arrived to the facilities. Let’s go and meet these men shall we?”



“Ok, but one thing, you showed me four girls. I thought you send there was five?” Summer asks.



Jamelet bites her lower lip and shakes her head, “The fifth one I’ll tell you about her later.”



“Why can’t you tell me now?” Summer persisted.



“Because.” Jamelet continues, “The fifth one is little different. She’s not down here. Don’t worry you’re safe. Her powers are not dangerous at all. All she can do is read minds.”



Summer nods her head, letting the details seek in. Summer gulps, “Well, will they have weird powers like the girls?”



Jamelet shrugs her shoulders, “I’ll guess we’ll find in a few, won’t we?” And with that heads out of the hallway and back up the stairs with Summer trailing closely behind her.

~**~



**~TO BE CONTINUED…~**