- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”

-“She was like nothing I’ve ever known
Her eyes shine like diamonds in a field of snow
Man, that destiny led her to me
Made her feel like life is now complete
A thousand days have passed and nights gone by
You can see the glow slowly fading from her eyes
Though she denies her pain and her dismay
I said this to her anyway.” – “Pass You By” by Boyz II Men

**~A New Found Freedom~**

Ever read a novel that connects to your life in any way imaginable? One that leaves a mark on your life that in one way or another transcends into your path of life with love? I have, plenty of times. An example is the Bible. There is something about acquiring love and holding it tightly to one self because of its meaning, its significant nature that draws people to such things. Hence love has no boundaries, nothing to hold it back and nothing to make it from affecting those it touches. And it breaks even the most strongest of people out there. Don’t ever fight against love, you’ll never win. God created us in his image, we carry his compassion in our lives whether we believe it or not. And love is in us, though it might seem like hatred is a huge thing at the moment around us in this world. Love can overcome anything and that is what God is.
~*~

She lied, she intended for that to happen. She didn’t return back to New York until the Christmas holidays. The day A.J. bought her ticket to head back to Florida, she went for the ride. She lived down there for the past few months, slowly erasing and forgetting her toxic past. Plenty of times, she was glad A.J. forced her to go with him to the south. She was content for once, living off the quiet city of Palm Beach, its warm inviting sun welcoming her peace for once in her tragic distilled life. She didn’t want to leave, she feared for her life, feared for her friend’s life. She wanted nothing to do with the precedent and she was willing to start a new in another place. Her intentions were to never make it back to New York, to not have to deal with the pain that is buried there, waiting for her return. But alas, part of her life was in New York and she would have to someday make the voyage back there. Yasmine watches the bustle of bundled people scurry down the snow covered pavement. The Christmas decorated stores lit brightly in the dimming afternoon, sending out its joyous greetings to the customers. She smiles, feeling the gentle cold touch of the falling snow flakes caress her caramel cheeks.

“Yas! There you are. I was looking all over the store for you.” A.J. whispers out, pulling on his warm wool hat, to fit snuggly over his cold ears.

“I wanted to see the snow.” Yasmine slowly answers, enjoying the sweet vibe of Christmas joy that swept down on her.

“There’s snow all over, you didn’t have to leave to see it. It’s nice and warm inside the store, come on.” He tugs on her black polyester coat, her sleeve covered with the small flakes already.

She smiles, nodding, inhaling the fresh cold air that chilled her insides. “Ok in a minute. Just let me watch.”

“Watch what?” A.J. flustered out, annoyed, crinkling his cold red nose at the cold breeze that filtered down the streets.

“The people. They look happy right?” She points her black gloved hand to the small crowd of people slowly easing their way down the crowded streets.

“Who knows? With this cold, I’m surprised they’re even walking slow. I would have gotten my behind back home and drink something warm than to salvage this cold.”

Yasmine laughs, her black locks tumble gently down her shoulders. “I’m beginning to think you don’t like the cold? I think the snow is beautiful.”

“Yeah, well good for you. I like my sun down south. I hate being uncomfortable and that’s what the cold is.” He mutters, wrapping his black wool scarf around his nose to stop the wind’s cold path from reaching it.

“You’re supposed to be happy Alex. It’s close to Christmas and you’re in the greatest city of the world. Look around you boy! Don’t you feel in awe during this time of the year?” She smiles softly, her emerald eyes taking in the delicate surroundings around her.

“In awe my butt. I’ll give credit the snow is beautiful to look at, but not nice to stand around as it freezes our as…”

“Shut up!” Yasmine intercepts, pushing A.J. over to a small pile of snow on the corner of the Sears store.

He smirks, straightening up. “You weren’t trying to push me in that snow now right?”

She playfully gasps, her cold pink cheeks peek through her thick lilac tied scarf that was wrapped around her tightly. “Me? No.”

A.J. snorts, reaching for her hand and pulls her close to him. “I was thinking we tell the guys that we’re an item now.”

Yasmine breaks into a laugh and begins to hiccup gently. “Oh no. No, that wouldn’t be right. Besides, it’s not official.”

He chuckles, his beautiful warm eyes gaze into hers as he pulls her into his arms. “Stop playing around. The other guys already have an idea of us, let’s just tell them.”

Yasmine smiles, nodding her head. “I guess.” The cold wisps escaping her lips with each word. And holding hands, they trudge through the snow covered street to enter the lavishly decorated Sears store. Throughout the summer months that Yasmine had spent down in Florida with A.J. and the other guys, she realized she was in denial of her feelings. Yasmine feared the worst if she was to make it clear to A.J. that she wanted nothing to do with him than just being friends. She was lying not only to A.J. but to herself about where her heart will lead her. She knew she found her soul mate in this man long ago, but didn’t want to take the precautious steps of making it happen. The memories of that time back in her new apartment after her fatal attack with Kelvin when A.J. was there to console her, to help her, to kiss her. The kiss. That’s what made everything fall into place. The kiss that time was far different from the one she so playfully teased A.J. about during their little date a few months before. She didn’t tell him what she felt after that kiss, but made up some lies about not wanting to rush things, that she wasn’t well, simply ready for that. She knew she broke his heart when those words seeped out of her mouth that time. He seemed brash about the incident and failed to talk about it with her.

She enters the golden lit store, the display of the store’s large pine tree decorated neatly in gold ornaments and sashes. She smiles, recalling the day she arrived down at Florida: Her family was there along with A.J.’s sweet mother, Denise. She was well taken care of and constantly surrounded by family or friends. She didn’t mind the company, she loved it and welcomed it into her lonely life. When she had stepped off the plane that day back in early July, she felt a new sense of renewal. A place to begin her life again and she was ready for it. No longer was she under the dreadful eye of that man that was beyond obsessed with her. She kept that frightened secret to herself. She had a made a promise to not tell the others about who was the one responsible for her brutal sexual assaults. She wanted to deal with that on her own without others trying to interfere, telling her what to do. If only they knew she allowed what occurred to her happen for their safety. Kelvin was apart of something bigger than she can fathom. He had close connections to a mafia and was entitled to a debt for the Mafia’s protection. She had known this secret only recently after a phone call with him. It sent shivers down her spine to know that this man was apart of something that can deal with the police in its own way. She had only heard stories but only now realized that even the police themselves can be pulled into something as atrocious as this. Many were forced to close her case, to not go after the one they assumed could be responsible. No wonder Kelvin proudly flaunted his ‘innocence’ claiming not even the police can stop him. Things were starting to make sense to her now. But she was greatly upset about the outcomes, Kelvin used her body for his own purpose and used the mafia alliance as his back up which scared Yasmine to death. Now she felt she was a prostitute to his needs and had to maintain a forward relationship with that dreaded man.

She gazes gently at the tree, her fingers tapping the golden balls hanging on the tree’s branches.

“Beautiful huh?” A.J. whispers into her ears, taking off his hat and gloves.

“Yeah. It’s so pretty.” She whispers out, her eyes transfixed on the tree.

“Come on, the others are waiting for us at Pierrot Bistro and Bar.” A.J. whispers out, tugging on her gloved hand.

Smiling, she gazes at him lovingly, following him down the cavernous interior of the store that expanded to a mall. She recalled the day she decided to talk to A.J. about her emotions. She didn’t know how to go about it but knew if she didn’t take the leap that the problem in her heart wouldn’t be resolved. She recalled she was hanging her wet clothes on a clothesline outside the vast backyard at the house she was staying at down in Florida. She remembered Denise stepping out of the threshold of the kitchen smirking at her.

“You alright over there? I think Kevin placed the clothesline a little too far up.” She smirks, eyeing Yasmine carefully.

“You think?” She breaks into a giggle, carrying in the empty laundry basket. Denise follows close behind as they enter the cozy house.

“I’m just curious, maybe you know what’s been bothering my son? He’s been a little out of it and I’ve been trying to get him to talk about it, but he insisted he’s fine.” Denise asks curiously, knowing full well why A.J. is acting so estranged towards them.

“Oh uh really? I didn’t notice it. Maybe he’s having problems with the guys or something.” Yasmine tries to steer the conversation away, fearing Denise would come to the reason she brought up her son.

“Well are you sure? You’re one of Alex’s close friends, I’m sure you know. Look, if he told you not to tell me, it’s alright. I understand. But I have the right to know if he’s in trouble.”

“And you’re absolutely right. You should tell him that.” Yasmine smiles nervously, placing the basket on the kitchen counter to quickly ease Faith who was wailing loudly for some form of comfort.

“I was thinking you can. Look Yasmine, I know there’s something’s going on between the two of you.”

Yasmine stops in the middle of easing Faith into a high chair to stare at Denise. “What makes you think that?”

“I wasn’t born yesterday. I know my child and I practically raised you as well. You know as well as I do that A.J. always had a crush on you even he dared denied it for your protection. But you can’t tell me that there isn’t something you’re feeling for him.”

Yasmine snorts, placing a babbling four month old Faith into the high chair. “Crush on your son, na. I didn’t think about us ever getting together.” She tries to brush off the hard gaze on her, but she was getting more uncomfortable the longer the stare went. “Well, I have to feed Faith, she gets fussy if she doesn’t get her way.” She smiles gently.

Denise smirks, eying the child. “Ok, well if you need help, I’ll be in the washing room if you need me. Ok?”

“Sure, thanks.”

“Welcome.” Denise states, exiting the room.

“Well that was interesting.” She mutters to Faith, easing a spoon full Gerber’s baby food into her child’s awaiting mouth.

“What’s interesting?” A.J. asks, coming into the kitchen quietly, surprising Yasmine.

Yasmine jumps up at the sound of his voice. “Oh hey you’re here?”

“Uh yeah my momma lives here, so I decided to visit.” His charming smile crosses his face.

Smiling, she nods, “Right of course.”

“So how’s little Faith?” He asks, kneeling besides the high chair, tickling Faith who bubbles in laughter and gurgles out. “Man she’s big.”

“Yeah that happens when they grow.” She jokes.

“Funny. Real cute girl.” He smirks, rubbing Faith’s little chin. The little infant smiles and drools innocently, her little hands twirl in excitement. “Look at that, she likes me. She really likes me!” Batting his eyes at Yasmine.

“Yeah, well wait to she understands what you’re saying, then we’ll see.” Yasmine giggles, brushing a stray black strand back into her messy bun.

A.J. smirks, clearing his throat, his eyes scanning Yasmine’s beauty. “So what did my mom want to talk to me for?”

“What was bugging you.” She responds, her back on him as she cleans the counter with a small rag.

“Oh, and you told her?”

“That I didn’t know.”

“Really now? You sure? You know.” A.J. asks scoffing.

She tenses up and sighs, “Alright, what is it? What do you want from me huh?” She turns to face him.

“I want you to tell me the truth. Why you are running away from the one thing you want?”

“What?!” She growls out.

“Yasmine, look me in the eye and tell you don’t feel anything for me!”

She gulps, staring into his eyes. Her heart drummed steadily, pounding against her chest as her palms began to sweat. “I…I…” She pauses, licking her lips gently.

A.J. snorts, backing away. “Pshhh. That’s what I thought.” And he heads to the swinging kitchen door.

“Wait.”

He stops, turning to look at her, waiting to hear from her.

“I’ve been fighting with myself recently about things. I just want the best for my child and me. I want to know that if I ever fall in a relationship that things will be ok.”

“That’s what’s bothering you?” A.J. exasperated, throwing his hands to the side. “That you’re waiting for the right man? Well hello Yasmine, he’s right here and he’s ready to walk out if you say so.” He whispers, standing still, gulping.

Yasmine looks down, her eyes watering in tears. A.J. places his pointer finger beneath her chin, raising her head so she was looking at him. With his other hand, he wipes the tears away and smiles. “I’m just waiting around Yasmine. You know how I feel about you and even if you don’t ever love me back the way I do, I’ll accept that. Cause maybe I wasn’t meant to have you.”

“That’s not true.” She whispers, her wet eyes on him. “You deserve the best, not me. I have a kid. No real career. A.J. why me?”

“Why not you?! Yasmine you underestimate yourself all the time. Don’t you know I envy you? You have a great outlook in life even with what you’re going through. That’s why I want, no I know that you’re the one for me.” He whispers clasping his hands into hers.

She gulps and nods her head, “So you think you’re the one huh?”

A.J. smirks, nodding his head, “There’s only one way to find out. Say you’ll be with me and I’ll prove it to you.”

Yasmine giggles, “You’re saying you want me to be with you.”

“Shut up.” He laughs, “Just say yes. You deserve the best and I only hope I can be what you’re looking for.”

She smirks, opening her arms. “Yes. God already. Come here boy.”

A.J. laughs, embracing her as they held each other, finally sealing their relationship with the ultimate kiss. Faith giggles gently, clasping her hands innocently.

Denise pokes her head through the crack of the kitchen door, smiling, breathing out a quiet, “Finally.”
~*~

A.J. opens the glass door as Yasmine walks into the restaurant. “Thanks.”

“No problem my lady.” He smirks, guiding her to the crowded table where the other guys and little Faith were at.

“Ohh my baby. How’s my Faith?” Yasmine bubbles out, cradling her child gently in her arms.

Nick smiles, standing up with a huge grin on his face, “She behaved besides the fact that she practiced barfing on me five times.”

“Ahhh, uncle Nicky can’t handle the fact that Faith is disgusted with Nick.” Brian teases, flicking his napkin.

Kevin smirks, pulling out a red velvet menu. “Well glad you guys came back in. You enjoyed the snow A.J.?”

“Shut up man.” A.J. grumbles, a small smile on his face.

“So what will the mommy have?” Howie grins, greeting her.

Smiling, she winks at A.J. and opens her menu as A.J. pulls out a seat for her. “Hmmm, well I already have what I want.” She whispers, winking at A.J.

Nick smirks, eying the others, his eyes catching the wink. “So ah, Yas. What do you want Santa to bring ya? Come sit on my lap and see if I can make that wish come true.”

The others groan and snicker as Howie shakes his head, “Eh Nick man. Dude please don’t. We’re in a public place.”

Kevin chuckles, spreading his menu out on the red velvet covered table. Nick slides into the plush booth as A.J. and Yasmine each had a seat.

A.J. clears his throat, eying Howie.

“A.J. do you have something you want to say?” He asks, catching A.J. off.

“Huh? Uhhhh… ummmm.” A.J. glances over at Yasmine who simply nods her head and smiles. “Well now that you asked. Yes.” He whispers slowly. Sounding out each word as the butterflies in his stomach go on rampage. “A while back I was talking with Yasmine and we both decided that it would be insane to stop fronting. So we made it official.”

Nick who was chewing on piece, starts gagging on bite of bread, gazing up at them. Kevin watches Nick swallow a cup of water, clearing his throat.

Beaming, Brian sits up, “Whoa, wait! You guys are together? For real?”

Yasmine smiles gently as Howie grins, “By the looks of it yeah.”

“Alright!” Brian stands up clapping as Nick smirks and pulls A.J. into a hug.

“Bout time man! Ya were both bugging me!” Nick grins out, taking Faith from her mother’s arms.

A.J. grins as he clasps his hand gently around Yasmine. ‘Thanks.’ He mouths out, feeling at peace for one in his life. This was the one thing that was going right for the both of them and they were glad to have made the choice.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**