- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”


-“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.” –Lamentations 3:22

**~Who Needs the World~**

Nick fights the urge to nod off to sleep, gripping his hands on the steering wheel tightly. A rain storm erupted shortly before hand causing the visibility to become difficult. The windshield wipers squeak across the window in the SUV as Nick narrows his eyes, slowly driving down the road. He checked his watch and grumbled. He planned on reaching his hotel suite over an hour ago but thanks to New York traffic, his plans went out the door. The hard cold rain drops sputter on the windows gently as Nick slowly pulls up to the hotel driveway. With holding his yawn, he parks and exits his green SUV, slowly and tiredly heading back into the lobby of the hotel. He glances down to see the red light on his cell blink. “Voice mail?”

Taking hold of the silver gadget, he presses his ear to the cell and hears A.J.’s message.

With a shaking voice, A.J. left a startling message: “Ni, Nick?! Oh damn man. Listen, I can’t, I can’t find Yasmine. She said she was heading to get some stuff at a store and she didn’t come back for hours! Nick, I, I think something happened to her. I don’t, I don’t know what could have happened, but this isn’t like her at all. I called around and heard that Yasmine never made it to the store! Some employers of the building said that the last they saw of her was she was talking to someone. But no one could identify the person she was with. OH God Nick! I just know something went wrong! Call me back when you get this ok?” Nick gulps and pulls the phone away from his ear, sighing. Rushing back to his car, he gets in and heads out the driveway, all the while dialing Howie’s number.

“Ello?” Howie’s sleepy voice responds.

“D, great to see you’re up.” Nick smirks, knowing it was two in the morning and he had awaken his friend.

“Yeah, real funny man. What’s with the call? Shouldn’t you be sleeping? What are you doing now?”

“Heading over to Yas’s apartment. A.J. is over there and something’s up.”

“What’s happened?” Howie asks, concern leaking into his voice.

Sighing, Nick slows down at a traffic light and places the cell on the passenger seat, connecting a wire to his head set so he can drive properly. “Not sure. J said something about how Yasmine went to get something a while ago and didn’t come back.”

“Oh is that all?”

“Yeah, but he seems freaked out so I’m gonna check it out.” Nick states, gazing at the front window, the storm heavily pouring now.

“Alright, but be careful driving, the storm started, it’s not a good idea to be out at this time.”

Laughing, Nick grips the steering wheel, “I will be mommy, thanks.”

Smirking, Howie shuffles over to his suite’s living room, plopping in the leather sofa, throwing his feet up on a foot rest. “Yeah, so anyway. Alex didn’t mention anything else?”

“Uh yeah, said something about how he heard from other people that work within Yasmine’s building that the last they saw of her was talking to someone.”

“So Alex thinks that what, she’s missing?” Howie mumbles, running a hand down his weary face.

“Probably.” Nick releases a long yawn.

“You should catch some sleep after you talk with J. Maybe sleep over, I don’t think you should drive around tired.”

Nick nods and slows down the familiar street where Yasmine’s apartment glitters brightly from the sixteenth floor of the building in a golden light. “Yeah, you’re right. Well, I’m here. I’ll call ya back later then.”

“Nick man now you got me all worried now.” Howie whispers, sitting on the edge of his sofa, dropping his feet to the floor.

Nick smirks, “Yeah, sorry man. Thought you needed to know. I’m gonna call J now and see if everything is alright before I head there.”

Howie gulps, “Yeah, I guess we stood at the recording studio longer than we thought.”

“Hey it’s alright, we were full of ideas for the next album, so it’s all good. Anyways, I’m out man.”

“Alright. Night.” Howie states: hanging up the hotel phone and heading back to his bedroom to try to get some sleep. But that thought dissipated when the worry dwelled deep within his soul. He only hoped that A.J. was fine and just freaked out over something simple. But the more Howie thought about it, the more it got to him. A.J. wasn’t known to jump to conclusions over something that fast, there was something up and he knew that, yet he couldn’t put his finger on it.
~*~

The shrill ringing snapped his eyes open as he dashes over to the kitchen wall to answer it. “Holler.”

“Yo J, it’s me Nick. I got your message man. You alright?”

A.J. sighs painfully, hoping it was Yasmine that called. “Na. Thanks for the call back. But no Yas. I kinda thought it was her that called.”

“Oh man I’m sorry. Listen I’m at the parking lot at her place. Want me to come up?”

“Uh you here? I don’t know. I guess, since you’re here. Might as well since Faith can’t talk back to me.”

Nick smirks softly, nodding. “Aight, ok. I’ll be up there shortly then k.”

“Aight.” And he hangs up the phone, trailing his fingers on the blue Formica kitchen counter. Thoughts swirled on the last conversation he had with Yasmine tonight before she headed out, he recalled seeing her so preoccupied and worried. It was as if she was late for something and quickly smiled saying she had to pick something up at a bodega nearby the building. A.J. had tried to tell her that he will go for her and pick up whatever it is, but she insisted and practically raced out of her apartment as if she was already late for something. So A.J. was left to watch over Faith for hours before thoughts began to creep into his head. He knew that the store she was talking about was about a block and a half down, that in matter of fifteen or twenty minutes the most and she would have been back But that was more than two hours ago. Since then, A.J. was close to panicking and he plops down on the sofa staring at the plasma television he got for her, the black screen taunting him with its dark void. Sighing, he leans back on the sofa waiting for Nick to arrive.
~*~

Howie stares up at the ceiling fan still whirling around above him. He tries to accommodate himself on the bed to a more comfortable position to sleep in, but Nick’s phone call bothered him. Rubbing his eyes, he glances around the dark bedroom and decides to listen to some music to get his mind off of the situation. Throwing his legs over to the edge of the bed, he heads over to his portable cd player and slips in a mixed cd hearing Clay Aiken’s “Invisible” come on. Rolling his eyes, he switches to another song until he found something more suitable. Smirking, he pauses at “Slo Jamz” by Twister and slides into a chair, staring out the window. He was close to calling Brian or Kevin. But he didn’t want them worrying. Unless it was something more serious only then will he inform them. For now, he sat staring in the dark outside hoping someone will call him to let him know what was going on.
~*~

He walks down the blue carpeted hallway and reaches 16J, knocking on it quietly. He hears shuffling coming from inside and pauses to hear the door unlock and creak open to see a distress A.J. standing before him.

“Hey J.”

“Sup? Come in quietly. Faith is finally asleep and she’s a pain if she wakes up.”

Smirking, Nick nods and enters the apartment, silently closing the door behind him. “Wonder where she gets that from?”

A.J. rolls his eyes, running a hand through his disheveled black curls. “Funny. Want something to drink?”

Nick sighs and nods, “Uh alright, water is fine for now.”

“K.” And A.J. busily finds a glass cup filling it was crystal clear water from the filtered sink. Nick slumps into a single seat sofa and gazes around the apartment, the boxes all cleared up by now.

Smiling, his eyes trail over to the kitchen where A.J. grabbed a bag of pretzels and chips, dumping them into a plastic bowl. “A.J. relax man. I’m not hungry, you ain’t gotta get me all that.” His eyes watching A.J. pull out a carton of chocolate ice cream.

Smirking, A.J. grabs a spoon and takes the bowl of junk food, carton of ice cream and glass of water in his arms, successfully placing it all on the coffee table in the den. “Dude, I wasn’t getting it for you. Don’t flatter yourself.”

“Whatever.” Nick grins gently, leaning back on the leather black sofa. “So you gonna fill me in on the message?” He asks, taking the glass of water from the table and taking a sip.

“Yup.” A.J. whispers, folding his leg beneath him as he sat on the sofa across from Nick. He grabs a handful of chips and pretzels in his hands as he begins to inform Nick of what occurred.

“It was weird Nick. I mean, she just wanted to head out at ten in the night to a corner store like her life depended on it. She didn’t even let me go for her and she looked so tired. I wanted her to get some sleep, but she seemed so preoccupied and she’s not speaking to me about it.”

Nick listens intently, trying to see what could be a reason for Yasmine’s eagerness. “I can check out the store right now if you want. And see what I can get.”

A.J. shrugs his shoulders, “If you want to do that. But you look tired, get some sleep and do that in the morning.”

“Na, it’s cool. Besides it’ll help ya out if I do this. I’ll call ya if I find out anything k?”

A.J. yawns, nodding his head as he leans back on the sofa. Nick took this opportunity to head out and slips out the apartment. It would be a brisk walk to the store and a chance for him to think about things anyway. He catches the elevator after a few minutes and exits it when reaching his destined floor. He speeds through the lobby of the building, exiting it and stepping out into the cold raining night. Sighing, he bundles up his black coat, keeping his head to the ground as the rain pelted him with its gentle hits. He passes the quiet sidewalk with its dead garden and vacant parking lot. The winter chill hung its cold hands in the air as the wind picks up, slowly numbing Nick’s red exposed cheeks. He wraps his thick black scarf around his neck and nose, his gloves making it difficult to do the simple task. He sees the small neighborhood store at the corner of the next block and picks up his pace, his beige timberland boots pounding on the ground as he almost felt like running out of the cold to the warm indoors. Finally reaching “Petey’s Stuff” the neighborhood bodega, he enters it, sighing in relief at the warm inviting heat that embraced him. Looking around at the shelves full of canned food and snacks, he heads to the front counter to see a middle age Latin man reading a newspaper, standing behind the counter bored.

“Ummm… Hey. Good morning.” Nick whispers outs, glancing out at the clock on the wall indicting it was already two twenty in the morning.

The man nods his head, the salt and pepper curls lay on top his head. “How can I help ya?”

“Oh well I’m just curious, you know a woman by the name of Yasmine? She’s about five two or three with black long curly hair and…”

The man intercepts smiling, “Of course I know Yasmine. She’s a sweet girl. Comes here all the time. Really a lovely girl.”

“Oh good! You know her. Well did she stop be here tonight? I’m one of her friends and I don’t know where she went.”

“Yasmine didn’t come here today. In fact I didn’t see her at all today. Why? You don’t think she’s missing or something right? Besides its so late, she doesn’t walk around at this time.”

“Well see that’s the thing. She did leave about two hours ago to head over here to pick up something, or least that’s what she told her boyfriend.”

The man shakes his head, concern clouding his face. “I’m sorry young man, but like I said, she didn’t come here today at all. Maybe she changed her mind, but that’s weird of her walking out at this time. Doesn’t she have a daughter?”

Nick nods, “Yeah, yeah she does. So you didn’t see her today huh? Ok, well thanks. Uh, if you think you know where she could have went, can you call this number?” Nick slides a piece of ripped paper with his number on it. “I’m just worried about her. But thanks.”

The store owner nods his head and quietly takes the piece of paper with Nick’s number. “You’re welcome. Wait, I think I remember something!?” The man states: getting up from his seat and leaning over the store counter. Nick stops and faces him, waiting for any news that can help ease A.J.’s distress.

“My son worked here today and he said he saw a young woman describing Yasmine’s description. He said he saw her pass by this store hurriedly to meet someone. But he couldn’t see who it was, the person was hiding in the shadows. But who ever Yasmine was meeting didn’t seem like a friend. My son said she had a worried look and she looked troubled when she was with the person.”

Nick gulps and nods, taking in the information in detail as the man continues. “That was around eleven thirty or so. I didn’t get in till midnight.”

“Ok. Thank you so much. That helped out.” Nick whispers, feeling a sudden deep chill erupt down from his soul.

“No problem. Listen, maybe it would help if I have my son call the cops when he gets in later this morning to report that.”

“Uhhh ok. Yeah that can help out, thanks again.” Nick whispers, fumbling through his coat to find his cell. He dials A.J.’s cell immediately and at the first ring he picks up.

“Yo!”

“Hey J. Check this out, I got some info you might wanna know.”

“Aight, what is it?”

“I’m at the store right now. The owner said that his son who was working around the time Yasmine left her place said he saw her pass by, but she never came to the store. Just like you mentioned before. The story matches. J, something’s up. The guy here told me, his son saw her talking to someone but he couldn’t see ‘cause the person was hiding.”

Nick waits in silence, pausing to hear nothing coming from A.J.’s line. “J? A.J? You there?”

He could hear A.J. blurt out a list of profanities before responding back to Nick, “Yeah, oh God. Look, just come back. I’m tired. I’ll call the others in the morning and see what can be done.”

Nick nods at the store owner and exits the store, hanging up his phone as he makes his way back to the apartment.
~*~

His eyes snap open and he bolts out of bed at the shrill sound of his hotel phone breaking the silence. Leaning over, he answers the call, sighing tiredly, “Hello?”

“D! Oh man, glad you picked up man!” A.J.’s petrified voice responds back.

Howie brushes back some of his dark curls and slides over to the edge of his bed. “Hey, man what time is it?”

“Seven, I called at six but you didn’t answer.”

“Yeah, well that’s what happens when you sleep, you can’t hear that.” He grumbles, tossing a sheet besides him.

“Sorry.”

Sighing, Howie gulps, “You sound nervous, you alright?”

“That’s why I called.”

“Oh God. It’s Yasmine isn’t it?” Howie whispers out frightening. Something in his heart pounded in his chest nervously as he slowly stands up, cradling the phone to his ear.

“She disappeared! Nick went to the store where she was last seen and the owner said his son saw her talking to someone but she never came to the store. D, she lied to me.”

Howie exhales slowly, shaking his head, “That’s not like her. Why would she do that? What about the person she was with? No description?”

“None. Nick went to the store owner and the guy said his son couldn’t tell who it was. But it’s like she ran away. But why did she run away from the help? D, this doesn’t make sense! I can’t even help out my own girl friend.”

“Alex, relax man, please. I’m sure she has a good reason and she’ll explain when she arrives at her place. Look, are you gonna call the cops?”

“Already taken care of. The store owner was the last to see her so he’ll make the call.”

“J, I’m sorry you have to deal with this.”

“It’s ok. I just want Yasmine back safe and sound. That’s all that matters to me right now.”

“Ok. Look, do you want me to come over?”

“Aight, might as well. Nick is snoozing away. I need someone else to talk to.”

“Ok, give me twenty minutes then and I’ll see there.” Howie whispers, heading to the bathroom to take a quick a shower and then get dressed.

“Aight, see ya then. Bye.” A.J. hangs up, sighing.

Howie shakes his head, tossing his phone on the bed as he enters the bathroom, thoughts swirling in his mind. He feared something like this will go wrong. Why didn’t they all just stayed down in Florida. It was all peaceful down there. Why did she want to come back? Howie knew Yasmine dreaded the thought of being back here in New York, she was at peace down in Florida sharing a place with A.J.’s mom. Why the travel back up north, he still couldn’t understand. But whatever it was, seemed so important for her. And he, like the other guys had to respect that. She did have a life here, she was studying for her future job and she wouldn’t let her tragic past drag her down or take away that dream of hers. And with that, he closes the door behind and prepares for his shower.
~*~

“I don’t know. Kev, I tried calling him and he won’t pick up.” Brian sighs wearily, drumming his fingers on his jean clad thigh. He listens to his cousin’s voice on the other end of the phone line.

“And Howie, did you call him?”

“Yeah, I got his voicemail.”

Kevin sighs, gazing at the kitchen clock in his hotel suite, “Alright, well it’s eight and no one is picking up. Now I know something’s going on. Look, I’m gonna call Yasmine’s place and see if she knows where the guys are.”

“Ok. Better yet, met me at the lobby now and we can track them down together.” Brian mutters, sitting back on the worn lobby sofas.

“Alright, I’ll see ya in a few then.” And he hangs up, quickly dashing out the room and locking it behind him.

Brian closes his eyes, wondering why Howie didn’t pick up his phone, he was the one who was always on the phone and yet now the phone rang and no answer. That was odd even for his friend Howie to allow that to happen.

He gazes up a few minutes later to see Kevin coming towards him. “Well good morning to ya cuz. You seem bubbly as usual.” He grins cheekily getting a smirk from Kevin.

“Hey, morning.” Kevin mutters, his smile disappearing almost as it began. Pulling out his cell, he immediately dials Yasmine’s number.
~*~

A.J.’s heart leaped into his throat at the sound of the phone ring off its hook. A.J. scrambles over to the phone, a smile spreading on his face but quickly disappears as he realizes it was only Kevin. He talks quietly as Nick gets out of the bathroom and gazes at the den table to see A.J.’s cell phone glow a red light to let it know he missed a call and it was a voice mail. Curiosity getting the best of him: Nick picks up the phone and listens to the voice mail, his mouth dropping open at the sound of Yasmine’s voice.

A.J. hangs up the kitchen phone and clears his throat at Nick, eying him. “Nosy much?”

Nick nervously gulps and trembling, he eyes A.J. “Yasmine left a message.”
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**