- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”

-“Everyday, girl I wake up and pray to come back home
And don’t take too long.
Cause since you’ve been gone, everything’s gone all wrong
I wish you were here, holding me near.” “If I Don’t Have You.” By BSB.

**~Falling Further Away~**

A.J. leans back on the bed, rolling his fingers over his cell phone, shaking his head in confusion. He couldn’t believe it, he had to hear the message Yasmine left for him again. He places the phone up to his ear as he closes the bedroom door quietly behind him, hearing his friends murmur softly from the den. He closes his eyes as Yasmine’s voice mail plays in his ear:

“Alex, I’m so sorry. You must be so worried. But I’m alright, you’ve must have been freaked out. Petey told me you sent Nick over by the store asking for me. I’m so sorry I caused quite the mess. But I’m alright. I met a friend of mine’s who was new to the town and needed to get to a hotel. He’s a buddy of mines and I tried to give him directions but he was clueless about the whole thing so I offered to take him to a near by hotel. Anyways, I’m at the hotel and it’s like two something in the morning. I hope my little Faith wasn’t a problem, I’ll be there shortly. Again, I’m so sorry. Talk to ya later babe, bye.”

A.J. gulps, pulling the phone away from his ear slowly. “Yeah well it’s eight in the morning. This isn’t considered being here shortly.” He whispers to himself quietly. He opens Yasmine’s door quietly, glancing back at the small sleeping bundle in the white crib. Smiling, he stops mid-way at the door and quietly heads to the crib, kissing Faith’s little forehead with glee. “I love you, even if you don’t know it yet.” He whispers softly, hearing Faith’s soft breathing as she turns in her sleep. Smiling, he strokes the side of her head in awe. He never thought he was ready for the responsibly of caring for a child, but now at this moment, he was glad he took up the challenge. He quickly eases away from the crib and exits Yasmime’s room, closing the door behind him.

He walks into the kitchen watching his four friends mutter and whisper about something to themselves. Sighing, he slumps into a wooden bar stool, placing his head on the blue Formica kitchen counter. He hears the front door creak open, slowly raising his head off the counter. The other men sit up and distracted, all gaze at the opening front door. In steps Yasmine, her black tussled curls tangled down her back as she slides through the threshold, not noticing the audience that was gazing at her. She closes the door behind and gasps, seeing five pairs of eyes staring at her in dismay. Her mouth drops open as she gazes over at the men, her eyes finally falling on A.J. at last.

Kevin clears his throat as he stands up from the leather sofa, his gaze locked on her. “Uh… well good morning.”

“Ummm… yeah thanks. Good morning to all of you as well.” Yasmine mutters awkwardly, stepping slowly into the den, her cheeks now ablaze softly as she stands uncomfortably in the vision of the others.

“Yeah well uh listen Yasmine, I think me and the others will leave you and A.J. alone. Ok? And you’re welcome to call me or the others at any time ok?” Howie gently whispers, placing his palm on her shoulder.

“Ok gracias.” She whispers, lowering her head gazing at the polished wooden planks below her.

Howie nods, “No problem. Come on guys. Alex, listen we’ll meet you downstairs ok, we’ll be in the lobby. Talk to ya later Yas.” He gently whispers out, giving her a quick peek on the cheek while Kevin holds the front door open.

Brian slowly smiles and embraces Yasmine before stepping out of the apartment, “I’m just glad to see you’re ok and you’re back.” He whispers into her ear as he steps out of her apartment, his blue eyes gazing at her gently.

Yasmine smiles, waving at him, moving over to the door to hold it as Kevin walks over to her.

“I just hope that what happened last night won’t be a repeat. You scared the hell out of all of us. A few more hours and we have sent out for the police to begin searching for you.” Kevin mutters, placing his hands into his jean pockets.

Genesis gulps, “I know. I messed up. I can’t do that anymore. I’m just too nice sometimes I guess.”

“Yeah a little too nice I think.” Kevin states, embracing Yasmine and stepping out of the apartment.

Nick locks eyes with her and sighs, “I’ll talk to ya later. Don’t pull that stunt again, let me be the one to mess up.” He smiles softly causing Yasmine to break into a small giggle.

“Come here girl.” Nick smirks, pulling her into a hug as he exits the room with the others.

“Thanks guys.” She whispers as the four men exit her apartment. She closes the door and fearfully turns to gaze at A.J.

His eyes seem distant to her as he gets up from the stool and heads over to the sofa in silence. He didn’t say a word as he plops down a sofa, his eyes on her the entire time.

She gulps and tucks behind a strand of her dark brown hair behind her left ear. She didn’t know where to begin or what to say. She was too nervous, fearfully even that he would longer be or want to be apart of her life because of this past mistake. She quietly takes a seat on a sofa across from his, licking her lips gently.

She exhales slowly and closes her eyes, hoping that things will be ok when she begins to talk. “Alex. Please forgive me.”

A.J. looks up at her in confusion, “Forgive you for what?” He whispers uncomfortably. “It’s not like you cheated on me right?” He quietly states, his murky brown eyes stare back at her, lost and confused.

“You know me Alex! I would never do that to you!”

“Then why didn’t you come back home? Come back to me. Instead you wanted to spend time with a friend of yours while I was here: fearing that you were kidnapped, brutally endangered or dead. But that never worried you right? The fact that I could care so much for you, the fact that I’m here right now willing to talk to you and care for you and Faith.” He whispers out slowly, his emotions leaking out.

Yasmine sobs as tears stream down her face, “Oh God, what am I doing? I’m so lost.” She cries out, her shoulders racking violently.

A.J. watches in quiet shock watching the once glowing bubbly woman, break down before him. He gulps painfully, pulling her to him in his arms. “Don’t worry about this. What’s done was done. You’re here with me now. I won’t leave you alone. You’re not alone do you hear me.” He strokes his fingers through her tangled locks as she buried her wet tear stained face into his chest. “It’s gonna be ok.”

“No. No it isn’t.” She whispers out, pulling away from his embrace.

“Why not?”

She eyes him, holding onto his hands, “Because it won’t be. I know so.”

A.J. pulls away from her and stares at her, wishing he could read into her thoughts for once in his life. “Explain.”

“I can’t. I just… Oh God. It’s just sometimes I don’t feel safe.”

A.J. exhales out, gazing at her gently, “Baby it’s understandable. With what you went through, its only natural you feel like that. But doing what you did last night wasn’t the best option either sweetie. I care for you Yasmine and I always will, whether you know it or not. And I will never leave you, but you can’t leave me either. You did last night and I thought that I was never gonna see you again. I got scared and trust me that I don’t scare easily.” He smirks, catching a twinkle in her eye. “Just know that I’m here for you.”

Yasmine smiles softly, her wet cheeks glittering in the florescent light. “Thanks. Are you mad at me? I did something so stupid.”

A.J. smiles, “I could never be mad with you for long anyway.”

She pulls away from him and yawns tiredly. “I guess I should wash up and get some sleep.”

“Yeah, you just rest up, I’ll be back as fast as I can. I’m gonna meet up with the guys and come back here.”

She grins and wipes a stray tear away, “You don’t have to come back here, you know. You can stay at your rented place if you want too. I won’t take it was a bad thing if you chill at your place.”

A.J. smirks, nudging her in the ribs gently, “I made a promise that I will never leave you alone and I’m gonna stick with it aight?”

She nods, “Right, back at ya. I won’t leave ya even if we drift apart in this relationship.”

A.J. raises his eyes and pulls Yasmine closer into his embrace, “Even if we drift apart? I’m beginning to think you don’t want us to be together.”

Yasmine sighs, “I, I don’t know what I want anymore. I’m just happy to have you in my life.”

A.J. pulls her into an embrace, wrapping his arms tightly over her waist, her chin on his shoulder. He seemed to stare into space, his heart breaking at the thought of losing his little angel. A.J. clears his throat, his voice choking if he spoke anymore. “So yeah. You get some sleep. Don’t you worry, I will always be here for you whether as your friend or boyfriend. Or hopefully both.”

Yasmine smiles, yawning into his shoulder as she shuffles and stands up. She glances at the bathroom, gulping nervously as A.J. watches her.

“Do you want me to stand in front of the door while you go in the bathroom? Will you feel better that way?” A.J. whispers, hoping that Yasmine will be alright with the concept.

Nodding quickly, she smiles, “Can you? I feel silly asking you but after what happened…”

“No need to explain sweetie. I’ll stay here until you’re safe and tucked away in bed.” A.J. grins gently as her grins widens. She heads to the bathroom slowly and nervously as A.J. follows up, standing in front of the door. “Don’t take too long. I don’t wanna fall asleep while you shave off all the hair on your legs.” He chuckles as she shots him a playful glare.

“Funny Alex. Real cute.” She states, going inside the bathroom and closing the door slowly behind her.

“Thanks, I know.” A.J. grins, leaning on the closed door as the rushing of water is turned on from inside the bathroom. Drumming his fingers on the closed threshold, his eyes skimming over to the sofa where Yasmine’s cell phone begins to ring. He stares at the small metal item, its shrill sound breaking the utter silence in the den. Smirking, he eases his way over to her phone and checks the ID. “Blocked huh? Well let’s see who you are.” He grins and answers the phone. “Ello?”

“What took you so long to pick up?!” An angry masculine voice blasts through the cell. A.J. blinks, pulling the phone away from his ear.

“Damn, well hello to you too.” He grumbles, eager to see who it was on the other end. “Who is this?”

“Put Yasmine on the phone.” The voice states.

“She’s busy, who’s this?” A.J. hisses, already anger rising in his throat.

“Her boyfriend and who are you?” The voice states, causing A.J. to click his tongue on the inner top of his mouth: nodding his head.

Breathing out, A.J. speaks, “Really now. That’s interesting, she’s already in a relationship but she never mentioned you.”

“In a relationship? What? No. She’s with me. I know she’s not cheating now. You wouldn’t be the guy trying to hit on my girl right?”

A.J. remains quiet, trying to analyze the situation.

“I asked a question, who are you?!” The unknown voice yells back.

A.J. shakes his head, trying to remain strong but he couldn’t believe the news. His sweet angel has flown to another man’s arms and this was grand news to him. He seemed lost in thought until the angry rasp voice yells out, taking him out of his thoughts.

“Well, you gonna answer my question?”

A.J. glances down at the cell and pushes the end button, ending the conversation and throwing the cell on the sofa. He sighs deeply as the running water from inside the bathroom turns off. He gazes as the bathroom door, watching it open slowly. Out steps Yasmine, her beautiful black locks tumble pass her shoulders as drops of water roll down her golden tan cheeks and arms.

Smiling, her emerald eyes catch sight of A.J. and she tugs at her towel wrapped around her petite body. Giggling, she gazes at him, “What? You act like you never seen me in a towel before?”

A.J. narrows his eyes, trying his best to control his emotions. “I’m gonna head downstairs now. The guys are probably wondering what’s taking so long.” He answers coldly, briskly walking over to the front door.

“Alex is everything alright?” She whispers out, clueless to what had just happened with the call.

A.J. holds the door open, his back to her, “When were you gonna tell me?”

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

A.J. blinks back tears, his face staring out in the hallway. “Forget it. I’ll see ya around.” And he steps out of her apartment and into the hallway. Yasmine races behind, grabbing his arm, her eyes lost in utter confusion.

“What’s going on?” She whispers, tugging on his bare arm. A.J. pulls his arm away from her soft touch, his eyes seemed lost and distressed as he backs away from her.

In silence, he walks away from her, his back facing her as he descends down the hallway.

“Alex! Alex! Sweetie what happened? Why are you pissed with me?” Yasmine whispers, fearing she lost her friend once and for all.

A.J. remained quiet, he was too hurt to respond back and he eases his way down the elevator bank.

Yasmine watches him until he disappeared and turned a corner. “What’s going on?” She whispers to herself, stepping back into the apartment at the sound of Faith whining. She closes the door and heads to her bedroom, the thoughts of her friend’s reaction lingered in her mind.
~*~

A.J. steps into the wooden polished elevator, its metal door welcoming him. He leans his head back on the wall, pushing the first floor button. Once the doors closed, he releases the tears he so painfully held back from Yasmine. He wanted to be there for her, but at this moment, it was too much for him to bear. She stomped on his heart and he couldn’t believe she had the nerve to do that. Maybe he was jumping to conclusions, but what could explain the man that called her up claiming he was with her. Obviously Yasmine was with another person and things started to fall into place. All the times when Yasmine would leave at ungodly hours of the night to ‘pick something up’ had to be her pitiful excuse to see that man. He rams his fist on the elevator wall, bruising his knuckles painfully. He welcomed that pain for a moment which helped him forget about what Yasmine was doing behind his back. This behavior he expected from regular girls he’d been around with. But not her: not his sweet angel. But he guessed he had placed her on a pedestal assuming she could do no wrong. But alas, she was human just like any of those girls out there and her heart was drawn away. A.J. gasps and roughly wipes the tears away from his face. He knew the guys would ask about this but he wasn’t ready to talk about it, hell he wasn’t even ready to face it. The truth broke his heart and he wished for that one moment he never picked up the phone, then at least he would still be in peace. But it was too late and now he was left to pick up the damaged pieces that Yasmine left behind.

The elevators doors dinged and opened as A.J. exhales, exiting the elevator slowly. He could see his four friends laughing and in deep conversation about something that was obviously amusing. He eases his way over to them slowly, noting only Nick noticed his coming presence. While the other three where engrossed in a conversation that Nick knew nothing about, Nick stands up and was about to greet his friend when he saw the pain look locked in A.J.’s eyes. “Uh oh. J you aight?”

A.J. fakes it and plasters a weak smile on his face, “Yeah, sure just fine. Never felt better man. Thanks for asking.” He didn’t want to reveal his raw emotions to his friend and he wasn’t in the mood for pity hugs or encouragements.

“How was Yas after we left?” Nick asks, sitting on the edge of a lavish sofa the apartment building lobby provided.

“She’s going through some stuff. That’s all.” A.J. ended the conversation, wincing at the mention of her name.

Nick notices that but decided to end the badgering, assuming A.J. wasn’t in the mood for talking. “Well uh yeah, I say we should head out then right guys?”

Kevin looks and nods his head, waving at A.J. “Hey man! Ready to head out?”

“Yeah, let’s go.” A.J. whispers, briskly walking pass them.

Brian watches him and gazes at the others, “Something happened with him and Yasmine I bet.”

“Yeah, tell me about it, he’s acting cold about it.” Howie murmurs, walking behind A.J.

“Yeah, it has to be.” Kevin whispers, leading the rest of the group to their SUV, where they will head back to the studio in New York to wrap up one of their new singles that will be released shortly.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**