- Text Size +
A/N: Real quick, this is an update on the story. I hope you enjoy and please leave a review. By the way, the hospital mentioned is a real one located in NY. I don’t know the basics of the hospital language as you can tell, so please bear with me. Thanks! : )

“Love Can Save”

-Proverbs 17:7 “A friend loves at all times…”

**~Distilled Reality~**

Nick paces worriedly on the beige tiles in the waiting room of the lobby in the hospital waiting for A.J. to come back down and tell him anything about what is occurring with Yasmine. It was killing him staying in the dark about Yasmine’s incident. He fumbles through his army colored pockets clumsily, fingering a pen that he just used to sign an autograph for a nurse. ‘God A.J. Come on, where are you? You gotta fill me in on what’s the deal?’ He blows out a puff of air and takes a seat nervously on one the hard plastic chairs, tapping his foot impatiently. So many images swirled through his head about what could have lead Yasmine here. Could she have been robbed on her way home? Did someone hurt her physically and cut her up? ‘Nick stop. Don’t think that way. She can’t be wounded, why would anyone hurt her?’ Things weren’t adding up and it was driving Nick crazy. He leans back on the chair as the golden fluorescent beams down on the vacant waiting room. He leans back in the seat, leaning his head on the wall behind him and tries to slow his heart rate down but to no avail. “Deep breathes Nick. Everything should be fine. She’s here which means she’s getting the help she needs.” He whispers to himself as he closes his eyes wearily hoping he can catch a nap to forget for a moment where he was at.
~*~

The metal doors slide open as A.J. steps out the elevator following the lead of the nurse in front of him. He gasps as he reads a bold lettered sign above the entrance of this particular wing of the hospital with the words “Trauma Patients” scrolled across it. The nurse smiles tiredly and turns to look at A.J. Her white nurse’s gown flows around her, “Sir, I’ve been advised from the doctor to be careful with her. She’s at a fragile moment and any sign of uneasiness, we might have to send you out, only for her healing. She seems to be having post-traumatic stress disorder. Meaning she’s displaying panic and anxiety symptoms at the moment. I would advise you to keep your visitation brief for tonight for we have to do some final checkups on her before we release her tomorrow.”

A.J. inhales deeply and nods his head in understanding, “Nurse…” A.J. pauses to read the name tag on the nurse’s uniform.

“Warden” The nurse responds as A.J. continues.

“When the rape occurred, how, how was she?” A.J. gulps slowly, his nerves ready to break down. “I, I mean was she awake at all when the paramedics brought her in?” He asks nervously.

“No, she fainted during the sexual assault. She has no recollection to what occurred when we brought her here but she is showing signs of memory. She might not recognize you when you enter her room, her panic symptoms are at an all time high since she woken up and you being here might either set it off or calm her down, depending on how she responds.” Nurse Warden whispers as they travel through the sickening harsh white hallway. They reach the end of the hallway as the nurse turns the corner and quickly places her hand on the metal of a white door handle leading into a hospital room. For what seemed like a minute in reality, seems to A.J. like eternity before he reached the nurse.

He begins breathing rapidly as he grips his stomach, “I, I don’t think I can go it there!” He chokes out, his eyes scanning quickly around the hallway.

“I understand this is a terrible experience for you, but you have to remember she was the one that went through it and needs to get better. You have to help her out, she trusts you. If anything, you’ll be the only man she can trust for a long time depending on how well she can heal.” The nurse whispers quietly as she holds the door open waiting for A.J. to step in.

“Wait.” A.J. states as he inches closer to the open door, “What if she hates me? Hates me cause I left her alone when she left my room. I mean she was upset with me and then for this to happen to her. I don’t think she will ever forgive me.”

The nurse makes a grim expression, “I’m sorry I wouldn’t know what to say about that. I do however know for a fact that what had occurred between you and her are the last thing she’s thinking about at the moment.”

A doctor and a nurse exit the room and whispers to Nurse Warden about Yasmine sudden attacks that caused her anxiety only moments ago.

Nurse Warden sighs deeply and exchange whispers to the doctor and nurse. The doctor hands a metal chart over to Nurse Warden as the intercom blasts with a woman’s voice, “Doctor Ross you’re needed in Room 401 in the pediatrics section. Code 4 on alert, repeat Code 4.” The doctor and nurse exchange worried glances and begin descending down the hall. A.J. watches Doctor Ross and a nurse give him a nod, acknowledging his presence before they disappear, turning a corner down the hallway.

“Mr. Mclean, whenever you’re ready.” Nurse Warden states, her gentle smile breaks into the havoc that A.J.’s emotions are doing within him. “She’s waiting.”

A.J. closes his eyes, he doesn’t like the smell of hospitals nor the odd aesthetic smell that always seems to fill the hallways of such buildings, but he pushed those thoughts aside as he steps into the threshold and enters fully in the room Yasmine was in. He gasps and swallows painfully at the site. “Oh God.” He gasps as he walks unsteadily over to his sleeping friend. “This can’t be happening.” He whispers to himself holding onto a wall fearing his legs might collapse under his weight. He can feel the nurse’s gentle hands holding him steady as he makes his way over to the left side of the bed where Yasmine was sleeping. The last time he was in the hospital was years ago when Brian underwent surgery. Nervously taking a seat behind him, he stares in shock at what had become of his friend. Lying on her back on the bed: Yasmine’s black soft locks lie scattered around her like a crown of knotted spirals. Her golden tan complexion lost color now replaced with a rather ashen butter pecan sickly color while her hands lie clutched in tight fists on either side of her. The IV in her right hand stood out as A.J. grimaces in pain at that thought of how much that must hurt. Nurse Warden pats A.J.’s shoulder and whispers that she will be back in a few.

“I’ll leave you with her alone. Maybe she’ll wake up and talk with you. I hope she’ll be glad to see you. I shouldn’t take no longer than a few minutes. I’ll be back fast in case she shows any minor symptoms ok?” She smiles, her olive hands checking the flow charts at the bottom of the bed that hung along side two other chart: one pertaining to laboratory results and the other calculations and measurements and then she exits the room.

A.J. sighs as his heart races never slowing down at the sight of her, he clasps his shaking, sweaty hands around Yasmine’s cold right hand before whispering, “God Yas. I’m so sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking about letting you go by yourself. Because of my stupidity, you’re paying the price and you don’t deserve it. I love you. Just promise me you don’t do this to me again ok?” He smiles to himself hoping Yasmine heard him through her sleep. Yet the only response was that coming from the Cardiac monitor.

He feels her hand close on his as he swings his head over to see Yasmine’s closed lids fluttering open. Gulping, he hoped Yasmine wouldn’t react negatively at the sight of him and he rubs her knuckles with his thumb hoping to relax her in any way before she opens her eyes to see him. He sits in the chair and watches Yasmine turn her head at the sound of his voice and open her light emerald eyes to him in a lost or rather dazed state. She stares at him in silence as he in turn does the same, neither one speaking yet needing to hear the other’s voice for reassurance. And they remain like this for the next few minutes while A.J. gathers his thoughts. He wasn’t much good with words when it came to situations like this, but without Kevin doing all the talking, A.J. was left alone to do the talking and he hoped it will help the process with Yasmine’s healing.
~*~

“Kevin faster! I swear if you don’t speed up now, I’ll take the wheel away and personally drive it myself!” Howie shouts agitated as Kevin growls.

“D! I’m going as fast as I can without getting stopped by the cops! Calm down! Do you want us to get in problems with the police? They’ll slow us down even more if they do.” Kevin mutters as he slams his foot on the gas pedal, careening the Benz down the highway at fifty five miles per hour.

“We’ll get there. Don’t stress please Howie. You’re freaking me out already as it is, I don’t think Yasmine wants to see us like this when we see her. How do you think A.J. is feeling with what’s going with Yas?” Brian asks from the passenger seat, leaning back to hear Howie’s response from the backseat.

“How else? He must be so shaken by this. And Poor Yasmine, if only I could know what went wrong with her.”

“We’ll know shortly.” Kevin whispers as he descends down the exit ramp towards the hospital, all their emotions rising with each inch the Benz came to arriving at the proximity of the hospital.
~*~

“Excuse me sir, are you still waiting for your friend to come down?” The middle age nurse that attended the front desk asks.

Nick snaps open his eyes and sits up tiredly, yawning. “Ummm, ah yeah. He’s still upstairs right?”

Nurse Warden nods her head as she heads back to the elevators. “Wait!” Nick bolts out of the seat and runs after her, “Hold on! Listen is there any way of me being able to see her? It’s really important! I’m one of her close friends as well and it’s worrying the heck out of me not knowing what the deal is with her.”

“She’s lucky to have great friends like you and A.J. but I’m not allowed. Hospital policies, sorry. But I promise that as soon as she asks for you I’ll gladly let you see her.”

“Oh ok, thanks. Listen Nurse…”

Nurse Warden smiles and points to her name tag, as Nick continues: “Warden right? Can you tell me, what is her reason for being here?”

“You don’t know? I thought you were her friend.” Warden gazes at Nick, “She was in accident is all I’m gonna say right now. I’ll let your friend explain the rest, he’s seeing Yasmine as we’re talking.”

“Please, I need to know. Is she sick?” Nick whispers out, the air caught in his throat.

“It isn’t right for me to talk about my patients conditions. You have to understand it’s for their own protection. Your friend Alex I’m sure will tell you shortly.” Nurse Warden whispers as an arriving elevator welcomes her presence. “I’m going up there now to see how everything is going. But I think she’ll be fine. She looks like a strong woman: she survived the worst for now. She should be able to make it out well.” And with that the nurse boards the elevator and disappears behind the closing doors.

“Damn. Back to square one. I still don’t know what’s going on.” Nick whispers.

“Dude you never know what’s going on, why does this surprise you?” A familiar voice cuts into Nick as he turns around the see Brian trying his best to smile as he walks towards him along with Howie and Kevin who all seem to be hiding their fears.

“Hey guys, glad you can make it.” Nick grimaces as the look of frustration grew on him.

Kevin nibbles on his lower lip and whispers out, “Nothing?”

“Nope. I don’t even know what happened to her. A.J. is seeing her right now. He’s the only one who knows. It’s so annoying to not know.” Nick mumbles as he shoves his hands down his army pant pockets.

“Sorry ‘bout that.” Brian whispers but was cut off by Howie’s mobile phone going off.

“Oh sorry. Hold on.” Howie whispers as he answers the incoming call and walks away in his own private conversation.

Brian passes a hand through his unruly reddish blonde locks and sighs, “You know if its as bad as we all think it could be, A.J. is gonna need a lot of help to get through this.”

“And think about Yasmine.” Kevin states: nervously fingering the pockets of his black jeans. He can’t be here, not in this place, hospitals are the last place he would visit if he could. Too many horrific memories lied in his conscious as he’s suddenly reminded of his late father’s night visits to the clinics and hospitals.

“Kevin, are you ok?” Brian whispers terrified as Kevin swallows and keeps his gaze at the swirling overhead ceiling fans.

“Uhh, oh yeah. Sure why?” Kevin rasps out as he tries to control his emotions.

“Maybe you shouldn’t be here: I don’t think it’s a good idea for you visit her if you’re feeling out of it yourself.” Brian whispers concerned as he rubs his cousin’s shoulder gently.

“Um, maybe you’re right. God, this reminds me of dad that’s all. Brian, I’ll just be in the car if you need me, this place is creeping me out.” Kevin chokes out as he heads towards the exit.

“Brian, if you want maybe you can keep Kevin busy. I don’t want him alone. He doesn’t look like he’s doing too well himself.” Nick offers, his mind speeding with many sorrowful thoughts.

“Yeah, but neither are you.” Brian whispers as he walks away and follows Kevin back to the car.

Nick sadly shakes his head and watches Howie make his way back to him to wait for A.J.’s results on Yasmine’s.
~*~

Yasmine remains muted as she stares at A.J. with unfamiliarity. It broke A.J.’s heart to know she must be someplace alone where she believes no one can understand her.

“It wasn’t your fault what happened to you.” A.J. whispers, holding tightly onto her hands, he couldn’t let her go not now and not ever. He did once and look what occurred. She was left alone and attacked.

Yasmine rolls her head to the side and stares at A.J. in silence.

“What? I have a booger up my nose or something?” A.J. whispers chuckling as Yasmine blinks at his direction.

“Ok, bad joke. Don’t you worry, I won’t say any more bad ones, cause I know you can’t stand that.” A.J. whispers unsure what to say or act. He wanted to be as normal as he can, so she can heal, but how can he when she was brutally attacked by some beast that was still on the loose. A.J. caresses her cheek and she jerks away from his touch.

“Sorry.” A.J. whispers as he watches her, happy that she was awake, “How you feeling girl?”

Yasmine gazes down at the IV and back up at him as if to say, “What do you think?”

“I hear ya girl. I’m truly sorry, I just want you to be ok. That’s all that is important to me right now.” A.J. whispers as he laces his fingers through hers.

Yasmine opens her mouth but nothing comes out but a yawn.

“Tired?” A.J. asks wearily, he wanted to hear her talk, needed to her say that she’s ok. That through all she experienced, that she survived and become stronger.

Yasmine smiles and grips his hand, “A.J.” She rasps out, her dry throat choked out his name.

A.J. smiles and nods his head, “Yeah sweetie, I’m here for you.”

Yasmine’s eyes turned dark for moment as she growls, “You had a nice party after I left.”

A.J lets out a puff of air as he shakes his head, “No Yas. I can’t believe you even care about that. No, I don’t even remember what happened after you left and I could care less by the way. I want to know what happened to you.”

“I don’t want to talk about J.” Yasmine growls as she stares at him with anger.

“I’m sorry for what happened to you girl. If I can find the one who did this to you, I’ll kill him.” A.J. whispers, boring his eyes into Yasmine’s.

“Don’t ok!” She hisses, “I don’t need you dong this for me cause you feel guilty.” Yasmine whispers.

“Guilty. Well damn Yasmine! How do you want me to feel? It’s my fault this happened to you.” A.J. whispers out trying to control his mixed emotions.

“No its not. Its my fault.” Yasmine states as she seems dazed and lost for a moment.

“Your fault!?” A.J. shouts incredulously. “How was it your fault. No one and I tell you no one deserves that type of treatment! You never asked that creep to violate you. You never asked him to take advantage of you!”

Yasmine gulps and whispers out, “What if I did? What if I let him do what he wanted so he could leave me alone?”

“What?!” A.J. cries, leaping out of the chair, “Yasmine what do you mean by that?”

Yasmine shrugs her shoulders, “I heard I’m getting out of here tomorrow, will you pick me up?”

A.J. chews on the inside of his cheek as he nods his head, Yasmine never answered his question. What did she mean by that? She must think its her fault, it can’t be right. No one allows force on them unless they were threatened. A.J. still had a lot to talk to her about, but right now it wasn’t the right place nor the right time to get to talk about it. She needed to get well and he was to help her achieve that goal.
~*~

Howie rubs his temples while Nick loudly flips through a magazine not really reading or even paying any attention to any of the articles in it. Suddenly the quiet tinge of the elevators sound as A.J. steps out. Nick and Howie never noticed A.J. coming as they quietly whisper to one another. A.J. gulps and flings a booklet onto Nick’s lap. Nick grabs the booklet without bothering to read the title. Nick looks up and sighs as both he and Howie pounce on A.J questioning him one after another.

“Whoa whoa, easy now. I’ll tell ya what happened. Calm down guys.” A.J whispers as a look of anxiety cross his face as he throws his arms in the air.

Howie and Nick calm down and back away from A.J. as A.J. leads the way out the lobby and out the hospital. They walk over a small crosswalk and stand out the pathway looking out the city. The busy street noises of cars honking and trucks loading objects fill the atmosphere as the guys look calmly.

“Hey you gonna tell us? What’s going on? I’ve been kept in suspense all day. What did the nurse say to you?” Nick asks, pleading to A.J. to answer his question once and for all.

A.J. sighs and stops on the crosswalk, staring at Howie and Nick. “Yasmine, she…” A.J. sighs and continues, “She was raped.”

At that statement Howie’s mouth drops open as the booklet A.J. flung to Nick clatters on the floor softly. Nick gazes down and scrolls over at the words of the book, “How to deal with a rape victim.” Nick kneels down and grips the booklet in his hands as he stands up. His mouth opens in shock as a worried look passes his face.

Howie shakes his head as he leans on the wall for support, “I’m sorry J.”

“You’ll see her tomorrow, she’s staying overnight for observation. The hospital is releasing her tomorrow morning, you guys can come with me to pick her up if you want. I’m going to her place later to get some clothes for her, you guys can tag along.” A.J whispers calmly.

Nick grips the booklet and throws it on the floor in frustration, “How did that happen? Nearby her place?!” Nick shrieks out, his nerves rising.

“I haven’t gotten her to talk about it so I don’t know.” A.J. whispers as he leans on the rail and takes a deep breath.

“How was she?” Howie whispers.

“She looks so devastated. A mess. But she’s acting like she deserved to get rape. You guys how can I help her? I don’t know what to do?” A.J. sobs as tears flow his tan face.

“Oh J. We’ll all help. She won’t be alone to deal with this. We’ll help out as best as we can.” Howie whispers as he rubs A.J.’s shoulder to calm the younger man down.

A.J. turns to see Nick in shock staring out over the rail in silence. It would be a long tedious journey to get Yasmine’s life back on track, but they were determined to see that she can make it. For she deserves a good life like anyone else out there.
~**~

**~To be Continued…~**