- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”

-“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.” –Psalms 143:8

**~Falling Deeper~**

Everyone experiences falling in love differently, whether its their images that consumes your thoughts or the constant silly drawings of your signature with his or her name in a heart: its ok, I did that when I was younger, you can admit it too. The early quiet signs of love of when you look at your loved one and quickly glance away fearing you said too much with that one stare. The constant debating you have with your heart about admitting you’ve fallen for that person but can’t express it to them. It haunts your dreams and plays with your heart. Yet at the same time, love can be an inner war of struggle and faith, where in the end you can either learn to deal with your feelings or let it swallow you whole. You know it’s the funniest thing when you begin to look at the person who’s been in your whole life differently. But what makes it a little more uncomfortable and unsettling is how much you want to desire to have that person be a part of your life in a more passionate and deeper sense. Love comes blindly and you never know who you’ll end up with. Every time you hear the person’s name: you may blush a little, sweet images of their hand holding yours as you both talk can fill your head. It’s the little things that love begins to grow on. Like their smile, the soft touches of their hand caressing your hair, or maybe their laugh. But you know when you’re falling deep in the love when your heart and mind agree on one thing: you want to be there for that person for their every waking moment, your life suddenly doesn’t seem to matter anymore and you’re willing to risk it to see the one you love smile each time.

Of course there are those that let love fade, it disperses and leaves their soul quenching in agony for some form of resolution but never finding an answer. The soul can become an empty vessel of torment searching for their lost love but never finding, leaving the person to fall under depression and rage. Or when your loved one doesn’t love you back and you can’t force them to feel the same because you can’t change their hearts. It’s quite a scary thing. Even within written contemporary works, how many literature have we read that pertains to someone dealing with their inner struggles and love seems to be one of the main ones? It would be endless for me to even begin counting. Stories like love romances turn on young teenagers especially those looking to live in such a happy state. I used to be one who would love to get a hold of such romance tales only to know what it would feel like to have a man love me so passionately that he’ll be with me. Even horror stories and drama ones pull at one’s heartstrings to pull you to go into that world of lost love, getting love or creating love: however you may translate it. Love can be a brutal battlefield where only the true survivors live to tell the glory. And in reality it only hits us more close to home than we think.
~*~

A.J. rolls up the car window on his driver side, watching the rain drops roll its way down. The moonlight crashed down the road as A.J. slumps back in his leather seat, lost in his thoughts. He sighs, gripping the steering wheel tightly in his hands. He sighs quietly hearing the pattering of the rain crash down around him. Leaning his head back on the seat, he closes his eyes: the only thoughts flooding through his mind was that of his sudden growing feelings for Yasmine. He was beginning to feel torment, the anguish of wanting someone he knows he can’t have. Nick’s conversation flooded his mind about Yasmine:

“…with all this that’s happening, I know you truly care for her and all. But do you love her?”

A.J. lazily turns his head and smiles, “Of course I love her, she’s like my little sister.”

“Man Nick, I should kill you. You got me thinking about her more than I wanted.” A.J. whispers, sitting up in the car seat, his thoughts echoing to the past conversation:

Nick smiles softly, “No A.J. not that type of love. Is it possible that she’s the woman you’ve been looking for all your life? Think about it… She’s everything you want in a woman. Every chick you dated had to somehow be conformed to something that reminded you of Yasmine. Take Sarah, or Amanda or…”

“Shut up. I can finally say the bleach has reached your brain now.” A.J. murmurs, turning his face away from Nick.

Nick rolls his eyes and leans back on the sofa, “I was just asking a question, you don’t have to get all huffy about it.”

A.J. snorts and rolls his eyes, “Dude you’ve been trying to hook us up since the beginning, but Nick give up already. I don’t see her in that way…”

“But you thought of it though, haven’t you?” Nick grins, chuckling softly.

A.J. smiles and licks his lips, “Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever. But me and Yas talked about it a while back when I thought if we could develop something and we both agreed that our friendship is more important than anything else.”

A.J. smirks at that comment he had told to Nick beforehand and drums his fingers on the steering wheel. “Yeah just friends. At least that 's what Yasmine wants. Nothing more than that.” He confers to himself starting the ignition of his black Mercedes and pulling off the vacant road, heading back to Yasmine’s dorm where Nick and Yasmine were at.
~*~

Yasmine smiles and reads over the scriptures softly to herself. She loved how the Bible always had the answers to any of her problems. It was comforting to know that any traumas that she is experiencing she was able to always bring it back to the question. She stares at the sweet scriptures that seem to resound in her heart, ‘God is Love.”

She yawns tiredly and gently places her Bible on the nightstand. She leans back in her bed and hears a sudden snoring sound occurring in the living room. Puzzled, Yasmine stands up and follows the sound out to its owner. She could hear the soft murmuring of the television reporters taking about the sporting event that is occurring. She glances to see Nick slump in the couch, sleeping soundly. It seemed Nick had fallen asleep from his program, his head nods off as he lies slump in the couch. She smiles and walks over to the sofa, turning off the fifteen inch television. She walks back and sits on the edge of the sofa watching Nick sleep peacefully.

“Lucky you. I haven’t had good sleep since all that happened to me.” She whispers, brushing her fingers through his messy spikes. Smiling, she takes a deep breath, his cologne invading her nostrils. She never noticed before how innocent Nick seemed when he was asleep. Giggling softly, she shakes her head, knowing he was naughty when awake. “You look so cute like this.”

“Thanks.” He murmurs, opening his eyes smiling, his sapphire orbs glittering in joy.

She gasps and yanks her hand away from him, “You were awake this whole time?”

“Yeah. But you can keep talking about me. I don’t mind.”

Yasmine rolls her eyes and pulls her hands onto her lap, “Shut up.”

Nick smirks and passes his hand over her stomach, “Its starting to show you know.”

She smiles and nods her head, “Oh yeah duh. That starts happening when one is pregnant.” She teases Nick as he flips his middle finger off at her. For a moment, his touch sent shivers down her spine.

“Watch it now. A.J. would get pissed if you caught you doing that to me.”

“Well he ain’t right now, so…” Nick states, pulling out his other hand from behind his back to give her the bird on that one as well.

“You’re so rude Nick.” She starts laughing, her gentle tangle of black curls topple over her shoulders. Nick brushes a stray hair off her cheek as his warm breath caresses her cheek.

Yasmine clears her throat and stares into his deep eyes suddenly thrown back by his effect, she never knew he had such a presence over her, but then again she never really pay mind to him much. She watches him as he traces his fingers over her hair, smiling and shaking his head. Abruptly, she realized that Nick was talking to her and she hadn’t been paying attention to him. It seemed Nick was making a big impression on her and she didn’t even realize it.

“I know and you love me for it. And speaking of love… What about you and A.J.?” Nick asks curiously leaning closer to Yasmine as he accommodates himself on the edge of the sofa. She breathes in his sweet cologne as she takes it in happily. He blinks and she’s brought back to attention.

She smirks and rolls her eyes, “A.J.? Hey where is he anyway?”

“Don’t try to change the subject.” Nick states, his eyes boring into her eyes.

Yasmine rolls her eyes, “Whatever, look A.J.’s my friend. That’s it. That’s all there is. Why? Did he say something to you about me?” She asks curiously, moving closer to Nick.

Nick smirks and stutters, “Uh, uh, no. Why would you think that? I was just curious that’s all.”

“Why are you getting nervous when I asked that?” She whispers.

“Why are you answering questions with other questions?” Nick asks back getting Yasmine to smirk and push him a little.

“If you wanna know, A.J. is a great friend, he’s a brother that I’ve never had. I mean he’s so sweet, so enduring. So…”

“Perfect?” Nick finishes her sentence.

Yasmine nods her head, “Ye, yeah. How did you know that?”

Nick chuckles softly and pats her head, “Cause I’m nice like that. Actually, you guys should stop frontin’ and get together already.”

“Alright, that’s it. Now I know he said something about me.” Yasmine states annoyed, crossing her arms across her chest.

Nick sighs and leans back on the sofa, facing her direction. He nods his head, “Look, all I’m saying is if you feel so strongly about this with A.J. Why don’t you just tell him?”

Yasmine blushes and shakes her head, “That’s just it. He’s too perfect for me. I wouldn’t want to tell him if its not meant to be. Besides I want someone else. I never noticed it before, but this guy that I know makes me feel so good whenever I’m around him. He’s not perfect and he’s not trying to be. And I kind of like that about him.”

Nick snorts, “So wait, hold up. You’re into another guy while you’re letting Mister Right walk away? Yasmine, A.J. is the right guy for you. What other guy can compare to him?” He comes to his friend’s defense, knowing A.J. would be grateful for this.

“You.” She whispers so low that Nick did a double take and glanced back at her again:

“Ex, excuse me? What did you just say?”

Yasmine clears her throat and keeping her eyes fixated on the soft furry blue below her anxiously. “I, I said you.” And she quickly stands up and excuses herself, running to her room and slamming the door behind her.

Nick lets out a deep breath and shakes his head, ‘No, no no. This isn’t supposed to happen to me. A.J. will kill me if I touch her.’ He thinks to himself. “What am I gonna do?”

“Gonna do with what Nicky?” A.J. asks, slipping through the front door and closing it behind him.

“Uh, oh hey J. Didn’t hear ya come in. So where did you go to?”

“Oh just taking a drive. Thought Yasmine was missing a few items, so I went down the supermarket and picked up some stuff.” He states placing three plastic supermarket bags on the kitchen counter.

“Oh ok.” Nick mumbles, gulping.

A.J. smirks and heads over to Nick, noticing the strange expression on his friend’s face, “Yo buddy, you’re acting like you’ve just seen a ghost. What’s the deal?” He joins Nick on the sofa and slumps besides his friend. He pats Nick on the knee and knew something is up, “Talk. And make it quick.”

Nick nibbles on his lower lip and shakes his knee nervously, “Nothing J. Nothing for you to worry about.”

“You sure? You’re not lying to me now are you?” A.J. dark eyes burn into Nick’s flesh.

“NO! Whoa, come on man. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“What happened with Yasmine? Did you say something to her?” A.J. asks, tensing up, settling back into the sofa.

“Actually no. I just asked her what she thought of you.”

A.J. sits up in shock and stares at him, “Are you out of your mind? Dude, she knows now! I know she’s gonna be acting all weird.”

“Pshhh, not as weird as she’ll be around me.” Nick mutters under his breath.

“What was that?” A.J. asks.

“Oh, look I’m sure she’ll be fine, she was just asking for you. Go and let her know you’re here.” Nick whispers, passing his hands through his messy golden spikes.

A.J. narrows his eyes and gets up from the sofa, he stands looking at his friend curiously, “Whatever you’re hiding, I’ll find out.” He hisses softly and walks away towards Yasmine’s dorm bedroom.

Nick sighs and slumps back on the sofa, “Unbelievable, when he finds out I’m so screwed.”
~*~

Yasmine bangs her head gently onto the edge of her desk, “My big mouth. What did I just say? There’s no way, I could have said that out loud. Maybe he thought he heard wrong and forgot about it. That’ll be just like Nick anyway.” Suddenly her soft whispering is disturbed by the soft rasping of the bedroom door. She lifts her head and sees A.J. creeping into the room with a smile on his face.

“Hey you. I was worried about you. Why you locked up in here? You left Nick all by himself. And you know he does strange stuff when he’s unsupervised.”

Yasmine smirks and stands up as A.J. pulls her towards him. She crashed into his chest as he smiles down at her. “So, ah, where did you go?”

A.J. yawns and keeps his grips on her waist, “No where interesting. Went to get you some extra stuff from the store.”

Yasmine smiles and starting getting a bit uncomfortable in A.J.’s tight grip, “Well thanks. I’m a bit hungry what are you interested in eating?”

“Ahh, I’ll see what Nick wants.” A.J. states as the two step out the bedroom and enter the small living room where Nick was sitting nervously by himself.

“Nick, what do you feel like eating?” A.J. asks as he crosses over to the black cradle of the phone on the wall in the kitchen.

“Uh, well its Yas’s place, let her decide. She’s the pregnant one after all.” He smirks at her direction as she nervously smiles.

“Uh pizza sounds just fine.” She murmurs and takes a seat behind the kitchen counter, drumming her fingers. She could feel the thick atmosphere surround her in the air and she knew A.J. must feel it too. After the order was made for a take out food, A.J. hangs up the phone and turns to look at his two friends.

“Alright Yas. Spit it out. What happened when I left? Is there something that I should know about?” A.J. inquires, crossing his arms across his chest.

Nick stares at the rug as Yasmine twiddles her fingers on the wooden kitchen counter. A.J. quietly grabs a seat besides Yasmine and sighs, “Somebody better tell me something. I feel the uneasiness here and I’m not stupid about what could have happened. Yasmine, did Nick do something to you that’s making you act this way?”

“No.” She whispers and smiles softly at Nick’s direction.

“Then what?” A.J. asks.

Yasmine sighs, “Well its not a big deal. Nick was teasing me about something and and… well that’s it.”

A.J. licks his lips, “Hpmh. Fine, if nothing happened then I believe you Yasmine. Though I don’t understand the sudden nervousness between the two of you.” A.J. smiles and begins laughing, “In fact if I didn’t know it, I would think you guys are acting weird cause there’s something going on between the two of you.”

Nick gulps and stops the nervous patting as Yasmine stops drumming the counter. Both look up at A.J. in a quiet manner as A.J. chews on his lip shaking his head. “Hmph, I should have known.” He whispers. Abruptly, A.J. pulls away from his seat and rushes over to the exit of the room, grabbing his jacket on the way out. Slamming the door behind him, he runs down the stairs not bothering to wait for the elevator. He runs out the small university lobby of the dorms and reaches the driveway to get into his car. Flinging open the car door, he throws himself into the driver’s seat and nervously pulls out the car keys. Turning on the ignition of the black Benz, he grips the steering wheel and pulls away, slamming his foot on the pedal. The car careens out the driveway and into the desolate road, taking him away from the dorms and away from the pieces of his broken heart.
~*~

He smiles and kisses the white envelope, slipping it into the mailbox. He watches the white paper flutter down the mail slot to meet its destination. Brushing his dark brown hair with his tan fingers, he heads down the street with a smile plastered on his face. Kelvin knew when the letter arrived at Yasmine’s place that the fun will officially begin. Until then, he’ll be eagerly waiting and he couldn’t wait for the excitement to start. “Soon Yasmine, my angel, we’ll see each other again. I have a surprise for you, you’ll be wanting to know and it deals with that baby of yours.” Breaking into a chuckle, his slams his fists into his dark jean pockets and walks back to his red Acura.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**