- Text Size +
A.N.: Sorry I t took me so damned long to update. Been busy, since we're getting closer to Christmas. Disclaimer: Only own Ashlynn. Shelley owns Krissy. Kevin & AJ own themselves.

A nurse comes in with Krissy's chart and smiles at them. "You know your fans would never believe you're a softy, AJ McLean," she chided as she brought a wheel chair to the side of the bed.

AJ chuckles. "Well, let that be our lil' secret."

Denise smiles. "Then next Saturday, you'll come over and we'll bake cookies and maybe cupcakes if we have time," she promises in sign language.

Kevin returns to the kitchen and lifts Ashlynn up before sitting down with her in his lap.

Krissy giggles. "Daddy was hot stuff!" she declares proudly. The nurse laughs. "Is that so?" she asks. "Well I have to say I agree," She says. "Now do you want to ride in this special chair?" She asks. "Or do you want your daddy to carry you?"

Ashlynn signs back she can't, because Brian's going to come over and she's going to tackle him for his autograph.

"Could we both ride in it?" AJ asks, wriggling his eyebrows playfully. "It looks like fun."

Denise laughs good-naturedly. "Is he really?" she asks. "Can I come too?" She signs.

Kevin's very confused, only hearing half of the conversation.

"If Daddy says you can," Ashlynn signs.

"But Brian's MINE!" She adds in sign language.

Ashlynn picks up her grilled cheese then, and eats it quietly.

Denise chuckles and nods. "You can have him, but his wife might object," she signs back and then looks up at Kevin. "Can I come on Saturday?" She asks.

Kevin laughs. "Since when do you ask to come over?" he asks. "You know you can come over whenever."

The nurse smiles and nods. "Sure," she agrees. "Hop in."

Ashlynn puts her lunch down to sign, "I'm a gonna marry him! SHE can have somebody else! I'm specialer."

Krissy yawns again and holds onto AJ tightly. She likes talking to people, but she's still tired and doesn't feel great.

AJ sits in the wheelchair, and sits Krissy up. "You know, these things are the best part of being here."

Denise just smiles and then signs. "What about their kids?" She asks.

Krissy giggles quietly. "Why?"

"Because they can go REALLY fast!" AJ exclaims.

Ashlynn shrugs as she goes back to eating, after signing, "They can go with their Momma."

Krissy giggles and the nurse laughs. "Not when I'm driving," she says.

AJ pouts. "Aww."

Denise nods. "I think you'll like their kids," she signs. "Baylee's your age. And he's as cute as Brian."

Ashlynn's eyes light up at that. She didn't know Brian had someone her age to play with.

Ashlynn stops eating then, and signs quickly to Denise, in a pleading way. "Gramma, please tell Daddy I'm good. Please! He dunno yet."

Denise smiles and turns to Kevin. "Kev, Ashlynn would like you to know she's a good girl."

Kevin smiles and hugs Ashlynn tight. "I know you are, sweetie. That's why I'm not gonna give you back. EVER!" he declares and then tickles her.

Ashlynn can't help but giggle and squirm in his lap.

AJ bounces Krissy slightly, as they roll along.

The nurses delivers them to radiology. "I'll be back to get you guys," she says and then leaves them with the tech.

AJ nods and cuddles Krissy.

The tech, also a woman who was in her early twenties when BSB was big, comes forward with a huge smile. "Hi!" she exclaims.

AJ chuckles. "Hello."

Daddy smiles and sneaks a bite of Ashlynn's sandwich. "Do you want to go meet up with your Daddy and Krissy?" he asked after swallowing.

Krissy smiles. "Hi," she answers.

The tech wheels them into the room with the CAT scan. "It's so cool that you have kids, AJ. Really shows how normal you are," she says.

Ashlynn nods yes. She wanted to give her sister a hug.

"Thanks," AJ smiles.

Kevin smiles. "Okay, finish your sandwich and then Gramma will drive us to the hospital," he says.

The tech squats in front of Krissy. "You ready to have your mind read?" she asks.

Krissy nods.

The tech smiles. "Okay. Your daddy's going to lay you down on the bed thing and then your head goes in this circle and takes some pictures and then it's all over. Okay?"

Krissy just nods, a little intimidated by the big equipment.

AJ kisses her head lovingly, then gets up and lies her down. "You're a very brave girl, Krissy. Daddy's very proud of you."

Ashlynn finishes her sandwich, but then asks Gramma in sign language if she can have her cookies now, and some for Krissy.

Gramma smiles and nods. "Of course," she signs and makes up a large basket of cookies for all of them.

Ashlynn smiles and makes Sammy dance on the table.

Krissy smiles. "C'n we go home now?" She asks rubbing her eyes again.

The tech sets everything up, not wanting to make AJ stand aside till the last possible moment.

"No. not yet, Baby Doll," AJ says softly. "But Daddy's gonna stay with you."

The tech gets everything ready and then steps up. "Um, AJ, if you stay on this side of the wall, you'll get exposed to all that radiation. There's a window so you can see her, though."

Kevin stands up and takes the basket from Gramma. "Do you mind driving?" he asks.

"Alright," AJ nods, kissing Krissy's head. "Daddy's not going far, Baby. Be still."

Denise just rolls her eyes. "Stop asking silly questions," she says and reaches up to bop him on the head.

Krissy bites her lip but doesn't cry.

Ashlynn giggles.

The tech hurries back behind the wall and starts the test.

AJ gives her another kiss, then moves out of the way. "You're my big brave girl," he tells her.

Kevin follows Denise out to the car and opens up the back door. He helps Ashlynn get strapped in and then gets in the passenger seat.

"So who's going to be there Saturday?" Denise asks.

The test lasts about five minutes and then the tech gives AJ the all clear sign so he can go back to Krissy who's started whimpering at the loud noise.

"Brian!" Ashlynn signs excitedly.

Denise chuckles. "Other than Brian."

AJ hurries back over to Krissy, and picks her up to hold her close. "Hey, it's okay."

Ashlynn smiles brightly, munching on a cookie she'd snuck out of the basket.

Kevin smiles. "Well Samantha, Baylee, Ben, and Grace," he says listing off the Littrell’s.

Krissy wraps her arms around AJ's neck and holds on for dear life. The last two days had just been too much.

AJ rubs her back and sings softly in her ear. He kisses her head every so often too.

Ashlynn squirms, trying not to scowl at all the other Littrell’s coming along.

Krissy immediately calms down and rests her head on his shoulder.

AJ smiles, and just hugs her closer to him.

The tech comes back out, unable to not smile at them. "I can take you back to the exam room," she offers.

"Thank-you," AJ says, rocking Krissy slightly.

"And Nick's bringing Becky and their new baby... and....Howie will be bringing Caroline," he says finishing it up.

Denise smiles. "I'm so proud of Howie. Never got married but adopted and is doing so well at single parenting."

Ashlynn huffs in the backseat, feeling forgotten as she eats her sixth cookie.

Sammy has two hiding in his suit pockets.

The tech wheels them back to the ER as Krissy is still a little restless. "Go to sleep now?" she asks hopefully.

Kevin looks back and smiles at Ashlynn. "Are you saving some for Krissy?" he asks.

"No, I don't think you can just yet, Baby," AJ says softly.

Ashlynn just giggles and eats another one.

Kevin laughs. "You're never gonna eat dinner," he says shaking his head.

Ashlynn just gives him an innocent grin.

The doctor comes in shortly, smiling. "How're we doing?" he asks them.

Gramma looks back at Ashlynn. "Sweetie, why don't you save some for later?" she suggests, unable to sign while driving.

Ashlynn nods, but takes one more, holding up one finger as she takes it.

"Alright. But she wants to sleep," AJ answers.

Gramma nods. "One more," She agrees. "And don't forget Sammy has two," she says. "You don't want them to get old and make bugs try to eat him."

Gramma's know everything.

Ashlynn looks shocked at first, but then giggles and takes them out of Sammy's pockets. She reaches up to hand them to Kevin.

The doctor nods. "I expect so! Well I've looked at the CAT scans. No bleeding. A little swelling, but that's normal with this sort of injury. It'll go down in a day or two. She might be a little uncoordinated for the rest of the day, but again, she should be okay by tomorrow. As for sleep. One hour naps. No longer for the next twelve hours. She has to stay awake for about half an hour between. Okay?"

Kevin smiles. "Thanks, baby. I'll keep them safe," he promises as Denise arrives at the hospital.

"Okay," AJ nods. "I'll remember that."

Ashlynn smiles, and unbuckles Sammy and herself.

Kevin gives Denise a kiss on the cheek before climbing out. "Say bye to Gramma," he reminds Ashlynn before pulling her out of the car.

The doctor shakes AJ's hand. "And that's it. You're free to go." Then he turns to Krissy. "Just don't get to close to tantrum throwers again, okay?"

Krissy smiles and nods.

Ashlynn waves, and clings to Kevin, Sammy, and the cookies.

AJ chuckles, and kisses her head. "She won't." He thanks the doctor, then carries her out.

Kevin almost runs right into AJ, rounding a corner.

"Whoa!" he says with a smile. "Everything okay?"

"Yep. Just a lil' bit of swelling. One hour naps for the next twelve hours, with a half hour of being awake in between," AJ tells him. He then eyes Ashlynn warily.

If this day has taught Krissy anything, it's that she doesn't get her other Daddy anymore so she doesn't bother reaching for him.

Kevin nods. "Got it," he says. "Ashlynn, what do you say to Krissy?" he asks.

Ashlynn frowns. She'd already said sorry numerous times - didn't their daddies know that?

Kevin frowns right back. "Ashlynn, Krissy deserves an apology. Look. She got a needle stick and everything," he says.

Ashlynn tears up. She'd apologized before. Why did they always have to hear everything to believe it.

Krissy's not even looking at Ashlynn. The girl stole one of her daddies and hasn't been very nice. She just stays attached to Daddy AJ, her back to Daddy and Ashlynn.

AJ sighs, though he still gives Ashlynn a dirty look.

Kevin sighs too. "All right, but you're getting off easy this time," he says sternly. "AJ? Where'd you park?" he asks.

AJ gives Ashlynn another hard glare, then leads the way out to the car.

Kevin follows and helps Ashlynn into the backseat. "Krissy?" he asks as AJ puts her in the other side. "How do you feel?" he asks.

Krissy doesn't even acknowledge him, but gives AJ a kiss on the cheek before he closes the door.

AJ looks at Kevin over top the car. "She thinks Ashlynn gets you now. That only I'm her Daddy now," he explains.

Ashlynn sets the basket of cookies in her lap along with Sammy.

Kevin's heart just about breaks. "I'm sorry," is all he can think to say.

AJ gets in the driver's seat and starts the car.

Ashlynn glances over at Krissy, and taking a cookie out of the basket, goes to hand it to her. "Here," she whispers so only Krissy can hear.

Krissy turns to look at Ashlynn, but doesn't take the cookie. "No, thank-you," She replies as politely as she knows how. "You sad so you c'n have 'em."

"I got 'em for you," Ashlynn whispers, again trying to get Krissy to take the cookie.

Kevin puts in some soft music. Nothing in particular as he looks out the window, a little afraid that AJ's as mad as Krissy is.

AJ reaches over and pats Kevin's leg lightly as he drives. He gives his husband a small, warm smile. It was Ashlynn he was mad at, not Kevin.

Krissy shakes her head. "No," she says firmly. She's partially mad at Ashlynn and mostly afraid of her.

"I'm sorry," Ashlynn whispers. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

Kevin smiles back at AJ, grateful for that. He needed that. Then he turns and looks at Krissy. "Kristine, Ashlynn's being nice. You need to be nice back."

Krissy whimpers. "I *am*," she insists her eyes tearing up. "I being polite," she says trying very hard not to yell.

Kevin sighs. "Ashlynn, honey? I think Krissy's just tired. Maybe after she takes a nap she'll feel more like cookies," he suggests hoping that's true.

"I'd like for you two to not talk to each other right now," AJ says. "I'm in no mood to hear arguing of any sort."

Ashlynn dejectedly drops the cookie back into the basket. She wanted to leave now - she'd made her sister and one Daddy hate her, and she knew it,

Krissy obeys the nice daddy and goes back to looking out the window.

Ashlynn throws a cookie at Kevin's head, to get his attention. She wanted the other Daddy to take her back to where she'd been yesterday. She didn't deserve a family - not at all.

AJ grits his teeth as the cookie flies up front.

Kevin turns back to the front and sighs. "What do you wanna do when we get home?" he asks and then looks back at Ashlynn. "What?" he asks. "We talked about throwing food yesterday," he says.

"Go back," Ashlynn says flatly, though it's not what she wants at all.

"We never did return those things," AJ answers.

Kevin nods. "I know," he tells AJ. "I'll handle it tomorrow. At this point, I don't think making her do it will achieve much."

He turns to looks at Ashlynn. "Back to Gramma's?" he asks.

Ashlynn shakes her head. "Go back!" She says.

"Don't think anything will do much good," AJ grumbles.

Kevin shakes his head. "She was fabulous last night and fabulous when I took my belt to her," he says. "I don't know what's going on now because she won't talk to me. At least your mom could communicate."

Kevin looks back at Ashlynn. "Honey, I don't understand. "Where do you want to go back to?" he asks.

Ashlynn tears up. "Not home."

"The Home?" AJ snaps slightly. He was highly annoyed and still pissed off.

Ashlynn nods slightly.

Kevin sighs. "You want to go back to the foster home? Why?" he asks confused. "I thought you were going to meet Brian."

Krissy is curled up in her corner of the backseat, highly distressed about all the tension in the car.

Ashlynn shakes her head. She didn't deserve to meet Brian.

Kevin sighs. "If Gramma meets us at home, will you explain it to her so at least I know what to tell the social worker?" he asks.

"Look, just because I'm pissed and Krissy won't take a damn cookie, doesn't mean you have to get all the f*cking attention!" AJ snaps, having had enough. "The world does not evolve around Ashlynn! Yes, we care. Yes, we took you into our home. And why you can't accept that, I don't know! But I wish you would stop and think and remember you have a sister who needs both of us too! You can't just keep one of us to yourself, as though we're your f*cking slave! And if you don't stop this f*cking shit, I'm going to smack your ass myself!"

Ashlynn goes quiet then, hiding her face into Sammy as she starts to cry. She'd been right - he didn't want her anymore.

Kevin looks at AJ in surprise. He's not sure if that was the right thing to do, but obviously AJ was at the end of his rope.

Krissy's not used to hearing Daddy talk like that and starts crying too.

Kevin pulls out the cell-phone and calls Denise, asking her to meet them at the house.

AJ pulls into the driveway, then gets out slamming his door shut. He gets Krissy and talks to her lovingly as he heads for the house.

Krissy clings to him, scared and unsure what's going on.

AJ takes Krissy up to her room to play.

Ashlynn stifles a wail, now frightened of her other Daddy. ~start new chapter here~

Kevin gets out slowly and goes around to Ashlynn's side. "C'mon, Ash," he says gently as he helps her out of the car. "Daddy's not as much mad as he is worried," he says gently. "He's worried about you and about Krissy and he doesn't know how to help you. That's all," he says as he takes her inside.

"I promise."

Ashlynn hides her face into him, sobbing now.

Krissy won't let go of Daddy for the world and keeps her face buried in his shirt.

AJ sits down in the rocking chair that's in her room, and rocks her as he sings softly.

Krissy looks up and sniffles. "C'n I have a ba ba?" She asks in her ultimate baby talk.

Kevin takes Ashlynn to his big leather recliner/rocker in the living room and sits down with her.

"Sure," AJ murmurs, getting up to go get one for her. He retrieves it from the kitchen, then takes them back upstairs.

Ashlynn puts a death grip on him.

He cradles her in his arms and brushes the hair away from her forehead. "Shh," he says softly. "It's okay."

She hugs Sammy too them.

Daddy pats her rump gently, which should feel more comforting than painful.

Ashlynn sniffles, and hiccups slightly.

Krissy clings to Daddy afraid she's made him mad too since she didn't want a cookie. "I sorry, Daddy," she whispers. "I eat cookie if ya want."

AJ sighs and kisses her head. "I'm not mad at you, Baby Doll. You were good. I'm mad at Ashlynn."

Kevin keeps rocking her and kissing her forehead. "Ashlynn... my good little baby, tell Daddy what's wrong," he says softly. "Just like the bath. Tell Daddy what's wrong."

Ashlynn sniffles and hides her face into him.

Kevin decides to give up on this conversation for a few minutes. Best thing is probably to just hold her and let her calm down.

So he rocks her in the recliner and rubs her back.

AJ holds Krissy closer to him.

Ashlynn hiccups, but soon manages to calm down again.

Krissy points to the bookshelf. "C'n we read a story?" she asks.

"Sure, Baby," AJ smiles, lifting her up and going over to the bookshelf. "Pick a book, Honey."

Kevin caresses the back of Ashlynn's head. "I don't want you to go," he says softly. "You're my baby."

"They don't want me..." Ashlynn whispers softly, hiding her face into him and Sammy.

Krissy reaches down, almost falling out of AJ's arms, and pulls a book of fairy tales off the shelf. "Red Riding Hood please," she says.

"Alrighty," AJ smiles, taking the book and going to sit in the rocking chair. Once they're settled, he starts to read as he rocks slowly.

Kevin has to think about that for a few minutes to discern whom she means. "Daddy AJ and Krissy?" he asks.

Ashlynn nods slightly. "Uh-huh."

Krissy pops her thumb in her mouth and listens attentively.

AJ kisses her head, and continues on with what he's doing.

Kevin shakes his head. "I think Krissy's afraid of you, but she still likes you," he promises.

Ashlynn frowns. What about her other Daddy? He didn't seem to like her too much.

"And I think Daddy AJ's worried about you. He wants you to understand that we love you, but it's hard to tell sometimes if you understand that."

"And he doesn't know if you're going to be dangerous with Krissy, so he's worried about her too. He's just worried all over."

AJ finishes the book and sings softly to Krissy.

Krissy's eyes start to droop.

Ashlynn sighs. She was tired and wanted to sleep. "School?" She asks, wanting to know if she had it the next day.

Kevin shakes her head. "Not for a few days," he says. "You just worry about getting comfortable with us."

Ashlynn nods and yawns slightly. She snuggles closer to him and Sammy.

AJ keeps singing and rocking softly. "If I could right, the wrongs that made you cry. Would you promise not to say good-bye?"

Kevin smiles and sings softly to Ashlynn. "I'd go anywhere for you..."

Ashlynn soon falls asleep, completely exhausted.

Kevin gives her about fifteen minutes of solid sleep before standing up and taking her up to her room.

AJ places Krissy in bed, once she's asleep and tucks her in with all her Care Bears. He kisses her head, then leaves, remembering he has to check on her every half hour.

Ashlynn snores softly, never once losing her grip on Sammy.

Kevin lays Ashlynn down and covers her up.

Ashlynn snuggles up with Sammy and stays asleep.

Kevin heads into his room and collapses on the bed.

AJ enters the room as well, and also collapses. "We gotta check on Krissy every half hour."

Kevin nods. "Okay," he says and sets the alarm on his wristwatch. "So Ashlynn thinks you hate her."

AJ sighs heavily. "I don't hate her. I'm just angry with her."

Kevin nods. "She needs patience, AJ. She doesn't know better."

Ashlynn awakens, and frowns softly, seeing she's alone in her room. She carefully gets out of bed, then quickly and quietly crawls to Krissy's room, as her feet still ache. Once there, she crawls into the room, and over to the bed. She wanted to make sure her sister was okay. She bites her lip, then places Sammy on the bed next to Krissy, and lies upon the floor to sleep.

"I know," AJ sighs. He pauses, hearing something. "Who’s moving around?"

Kevin groans. "I doubt it's the little one," he says doing a sit up to get up.

"Want company?" AJ asks, also getting up. "And how can she be up? She can't walk just yet."

Ashlynn's fallen asleep upon Krissy's floor.

Kevin nods and then shrugs. "Who knows," he says heading out. He's about to go to Ashlynn's room when he notices something large on Krissy's bedroom floor.

AJ pauses too. "What the...?"

He stops short and then tiptoes in. He leans over Ashlynn carefully, holding his breath and then smiles.

Kevin waves at him to shut up.

AJ smiles softly too, when he realizes whose on the floor.

Kevin turns on the ball of his foot and tiptoes out. "If that's where she wants to sleep, I don't care," he says. "We'd better keep the Munchkin home from school tomorrow."

AJ nods. "Yeah. And I'm assuming Ashlynn's not going tomorrow either."

He takes a closer look inside the room..."Hey...is that her Bear lying next to Krissy?"

Kevin nods. "Looked like it to me. Maybe she thinks Sammy can help Krissy feel better."

AJ smiles. "That's sweet - considering how she never lets Sammy go." He heads back for their room, holding Kevin's hand.

Kevin follows AJ. He's so tense and as soon as the door's closed, Kevin tackles his husband.


A.N.: Please R&R! Thank-you! Oh! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!