- Text Size +
A.N.: Surprise~ Two chapters in one day! I mean, hey, why not? It IS New Year's Eve! Lol. Enjoy! Disclaimer: Only own Ashlynn. Shelley owns Krissy. Kevin & A.J. own themselves. Thank-you!

AJ squeezes Kevin's hand lightly as they walk. Their family was now complete, and that made him very happy.

Ashlynn lifts her head up once they reach the party store, her eyes going wide.

Kevin walks in and heads straight to the children's party themes.

AJ follows him.

Krissy wiggles out of his arms and down to the floor. She honestly likes to be able to move, and she's not so jealous now that she's had some Daddy time of her own.

"Care Bears, Ashlynn!" Krissy suggests enthusiastically since that's what *she'd* want.

Kevin laughs. "Why don't you let Ashlynn pick what she likes?" he says tickling Krissy lightly.

Ashlynn eyes everything, namely the Ninja Turtles, and Beauty & the Beast stuff.

AJ laughs. "We've raised a Care Bear freak."

Kevin nods. "But at least she tries to care about people instead of punching them in the face," he points out.

"Yeah, true," AJ agrees.

Krissy tries to figure out what Ashlynn's looking at. "Bailey likes Ninja Turtles," she tells Ashlynn.

Ashlynn bites her lip, trying not to blush. She hadn't even met him yet, nor knew what he looked like, but already she'd a crush. She still eyes both, and finally just points to both of them.

Kevin looks at the selections. "Both?" he asks a little confused. "Or are you trying to choose?"

Ashlynn bites her lip and huffs slightly. She points to both again.

"Both?" AJ asks now, and smiles when she nods.

Kevin shrugs. "Why not. It'll make a good theme for boys and girls," he points out.

Ashlynn smiles big. That made her happy!

Krissy tugs on Kevin's hand. "Ashlynn should be Belle," she says.

"Hey...Kev..." AJ says softly, leaning a bit closer to whisper. "What about school things? If she feels okay, maybe she could go tomorrow."

Ashlynn smiles at that. She liked Belle - a lot.

Kevin looks at AJ. "I was thinking we should have her evaluated first," he says. "I've read about foster kids. Most of them are below grade level. I don't want to put her in second grade only to find out she's not ready for it the hard way," he whispers back.

Krissy grins at Ashlynn. "If you be Belle, c'n I be Ariel?" she asks hopefully.

Ashlynn nods to Krissy.

"Maybe we can do that tomorrow at the school, then they can put her in a class," AJ whispers.

Kevin nods. "Okay," he agrees even though he's worried about her.

"Alrighty," AJ says. "Shall we get her a knapsack then. I'm sure she'll need that. Anything else can wait."

Kevin nods. "We'll run through Target on the way home."

Krissy, meanwhile, is reaching up to get all the stuff for her big sister.

AJ nods his agreement. "Okay."

"Careful!" Ashlynn says loud enough to get their Daddies attention. She was afraid it was all going to fall on Krissy's head.

Kevin looks at Ashlynn surprised she said anything at all.

AJ looks surprised as well.

Krissy jumped and ended up dropping the napkins she'd managed to procure.

Kevin laughs. "Thank you, Ashlynn," he says kissing the side of her head.

"Krissy, hang on, sweetie."

Ashlynn gives a small sigh of relief.

AJ kisses her head as well. "Good girl."

Krissy frowns. "You're bein' slow," she argues impatiently, though she's not really angry with him.

Kevin rolls his eyes. "Well *you're* being impatient," he says leaning down to kiss her nose.

Ashlynn starts to squirm then, as she had to pee - badly.

Krissy just giggles.

AJ looks at her. "What? You want Daddy?"

Kevin looks at Ashlynn as he stands up. "Getting uncomfortable?" he asks.

Ashlynn huffs slightly, and rolls her eyes. She signs the word "Pee" to them, trying to let them know what was wrong.

AJ still looks confused.

Kevin's eyes widen. "Oh! Okay," he says. "AJ, get her party stuff. We're going to the bathroom," he says and quickly leaves the store making a beeline for the family restroom.

AJ laughs and helps Krissy get the stuff Ashlynn wanted. "You want a Care Bear hat, Honey?"

Ashlynn squirms more.

Kevin races into the family restroom and gently sets Ashlynn down. "Here you go, honey," he says helping her get her pants down as quickly as possible.

Krissy grins. "Yeah!"

Ashlynn gives a sigh of relief, blowing her bangs upwards. She smiles at him as she goes to the bathroom, happy to have made it on time.

AJ smiles and sticks a Care Bear party hat on Krissy's head. "There we go. Now, let's get this stuff and go find Daddy and Ashlynn."

Kevin smiles. "Been pretty adventurous, huh?" he asks.

Krissy nods and follows Daddy to the checkout.

Ashlynn giggles and nods as she finishes doing her business. She'd had Kevin hold Sammy for her.

AJ pays for everything, then takes Krissy's hand in his, and carries everything to a bench near the rest rooms.

Kevin gives her some tissue and waits for the cue before helping her get all dressed again. "How about a piggy back ride?" he asks as he helps her wash her hands.

Ashlynn nods. She liked those - though she rarely ever got one.

Krissy climbs up next to Daddy and looks around quietly. "C'n I stay home tomorrow too?" she asks hopefully.

"No. Not tomorrow, Baby Doll," AJ says softly. "Ashlynn's going to school too."

Krissy smiles. "Kay," she says not too disappointed. She liked school.

Kevin puts Ashlynn on his back and heads out, quickly spotting AJ with Krissy.

AJ smiles and hands her a piece of candy he's found in his pocket. "Eat this slowly and don't run with it."

Ashlynn giggles, as she holds onto him and Sammy.

Krissy grins and takes it gratefully.

Kevin walks over. "We made it," he assures AJ.

Kevin looks back at Ashlynn over his shoulder. "How would you like to go find some cool supplies for school?" he asks.

"That's a good thing to know," AJ smiles. "Off to Target now?"

Ashlynn shrugs. She'd prefer not to go - but if she had to get stuff for it, she would.

Kevin smiles and nods. "Off to Target we go. When we get home we should have her try walking around a little. Doc said she should be able to walk by now."

"Cushy shoes," Krissy said simply following along quietly.

"Yep, comfy shoes," AJ agrees with Krissy, as he nods to Kevin.

Ashlynn giggles and makes car noises as they go. "Vroom. Vroom."

"Well, here we are," AJ says, stopping in front of Target.

Kevin laughs and plays along with Ashlynn.

"Okay... school supplies are this way," he says leading the way.

Krissy eyes the ICEE machine as they pass the snack area, but stays right with her daddies.

Ashlynn giggles. She felt happy - something she hadn't felt in a long time.

AJ leans down to Krissy. "If you're good, maybe on the way out."

Soon, Kevin's standing in a whole aisle of backpacks. "Okay, cutie. Which one?" he asks.

Krissy grins and promises herself to be a very, very, very good girl.

Ashlynn eyes them all, but soon points to the Belle one.

AJ gives Krissy's hand a light squeeze.

Kevin smiles. "I think it's very pretty."

Ashlynn smiles. She thought so too.

Kevin picks it up. "How about a lunch box..." he says moving down the aisle a little. "Is there a Belle one of those too or do you see something better?"

Ashlynn points to the backpack, to signify she wants all Belle.

Kevin nods and picks up a Belle lunchbox complete with thermos. "Do you want a folder to match?" he asks as they make their way to the other supplies.

Ashlynn nods, and giggles.

"Alrighty," he replies and gets a Belle folder. Having a pretty good idea of what supplies all kids needs, he grabs another box of crayons, one pack of markers, some safety scissors, some glue, and Disney Princess pencils.

"Okay, guys. I think this is good till we hear from Ashlynn's teacher," he says. "Let's hit the checkout lane."

Ashlynn smiles happily, and gives the back of his head a kiss for knowing exactly what she wanted.

Krissy takes the crayons and markers from Kevin, trying to help.

AJ nods. "Alright. Now, for the ICEE machine."

Kevin grins broadly. "Aww! Thank you, Ashlynn!" he exclaims.

Krissy squeals in delight. "I c'n carry Ashlynn," she volunteers.

Kevin laughs. "Not quite, baby," he says. "She's bigger than you, remember?"

Krissy blushes, but the smile doesn't fade at all.

AJ laughs and scoops Krissy up. "You can tell her which ICEE's are the best."

Ashlynn smiles and moves slightly, trying to urge Kevin to get moving.

Kevin follows them over to the snack bar.

AJ goes about getting the girls ICEEs.

Krissy looks at Ashlynn with excitement.

"Red's the best!"

Ashlynn nods. She points to Krissy, silently stating she wants the same.

AJ nods. "Alright. Two reds."

Kevin sets Ashlynn down in a seat. "Krissy, come sit with sissy while I go pay," he says before kissing Ashlynn's head.

Krissy wiggles out of AJ's arms and scurries over to the table Ashlynn's sitting at.

"Don't drink too fast or your head hurts," she warns.

Ashlynn nods as she takes hers from AJ.

AJ hands Krissy hers.

Krissy takes hers and sips slowly. "Tank you, Daddy," she says, almost forgetting.

Kevin doesn't take too long and joins them before the girls can finish much of their treats.

Ashlynn signs "Thank-you" and smiles at him.

AJ smiles. "You're welcome ladies. After this, I think we'll head home. It's almost lunch."

Krissy nods. "C'n we have peanut butter?" she asks climbing into Kevin's lap as he sits down.

"Sure!" AJ smiles, lifting Ashlynn up into his lap.

Ashlynn snuggles into AJ as she drinks her ICEE quietly, and holds Sammy.

Kevin sneaks a sip of Krissy's ICEE. "You know, AJ, we need to make an appointment for the Christmas pictures to be taken soon," he says.

Krissy grins. She *LOVES* having her picture taken.

AJ nods. "Yeah. We need to get those updated anyway."

Ashlynn frowns. She'd never had her picture taken before. No one ever wanted to take it.

Krissy looks at Ashlynn worried. "What wrong?" she asks innocently.

Ashlynn just shakes her head and yawns.

"Whoop! Time to go home!" AJ says. "Somebody needs a nap."

Krissy slides off of Kevin's lap and starts for the door.

Ashlynn finishes her ICEE and rests her head on AJ's shoulder.

Kevin takes the empty cups to the trash. "Hold up, Krissy!" he calls but notices she's stopped just shy of actually going outside.

Kevin catches up to her and takes her hand. "What kind of jelly do you want?" he asks opening the door for AJ.

AJ stands up with Ashlynn in his arms and heads for the door with her. "Lunch, naps, video, dinner, video, bed."

Ashlynn giggles.

Krissy thinks, her finger on her chin. "What sissy wants," she answers. "An' I not taking a nap," she adds to Daddy AJ.

AJ rolls his eyes. "We'll see," he says, as he leads the way to the car. He sets the bags in the trunk, then sticks Ashlynn and Sammy in the back.

Ashlynn buckles Sammy up in the middle seat again.

Kevin helps Krissy climb into her booster seat and buckles her in. "Well, Ashlynn?" he asks. "What kind of jelly are we having today?"

Ashlynn makes a face. She wasn't fond of jelly.

AJ gets in the driver's seat.

Once Kevin is in, he drives them home.

Krissy looks confused. "A sour jelly?" she asks trying to guess.

Ashlynn shakes her head no.

Kevin chuckles. "Maybe Ashlynn doesn't like jelly," he suggests.

Ashlynn nods at Kevin's statement.

Krissy looks to her sister to see if Daddy's right.

Kevin smiles. "Do you like honey?" he asks.

"We're home!" AJ announces.

Ashlynn shakes her head no again.

Krissy releases herself and climbs out of the backseat.

Ashlynn just sits there and waits.

"AJ? Will you get the packages?" he asks opening Ashlynn's door and lifting her up.

AJ nods. "Sure thing Kev."

Krissy's already gone in through the garage and made a beeline for the TV.

Ashlynn clings to Kevin.

Kevin kisses her cheek. "Do you like peanut butter?" he asks.

He sets her down on the kitchen counter.

Ashlynn nods her head yes furiously. She LOVED peanut butter - LOTS of it. She'd gotten in trouble a few times, for eating it right out of the jar.

Kevin smiles. "So just a peanut butter sandwich?" he asks getting out bread and the peanut butter.

"I want jelly!" Krissy shouts without taking her eyes off the cartoons.

Ashlynn nods yes.

Kevin looks up. "No TV, Krissy," he says before flashing Ashlynn another smile.

AJ sneaks in the gifts for Ashlynn, and the one for Krissy. He then sets all the stuff the girls know about on the floor in the living room.

Ashlynn smiles back at her Daddy.

Krissy climbs up on the couch and looks at Kevin. "Why?" she asks.

"Because it's lunch," AJ answers.

Kevin starts making Ashlynn's sandwich. "Because we're having lunch," he answers. "Now go wash your hands please."

Kevin laughs eyeing AJ and suddenly wanting him very bad. But having kids means waiting so he just focuses on making sandwiches.

Krissy sighs but does as she's told.

AJ goes with Krissy to make sure she's not just rinsing and forgetting soap.

Ashlynn looks at her hands and shrugs. They looked clean to her. She hugged Sammy closer.

Kevin finished the sandwich and then picked Ashlynn up. "Okay, cutie," he says turning on the water at the sink. "Run your hands under the water and then get some soap," he says.

Krissy used a ton of soap, trying to make lots of bubbles.

Ashlynn quietly does as told, making sure Sammy doesn't get wet at all.

"Okay, Princess," AJ says. "Rinse them off and let's go eat."

Kevin helps Ashlynn get her hands rinsed and then turns off the water.

Krissy gets rinsed and then races back to the kitchen table.

Kevin carries Ashlynn over and sits her down in her chair.

AJ follows her after having had washed his hands, and sits down at the table.

Ashlynn sets Sammy on the chair next to her.

Krissy climbs up into her chair and waits patiently as Kevin puts down a plate with a sandwich and some carrot sticks in front of each child.

Kevin puts a plate with more of grown up sandwich in front of AJ. "Here you go, baby," he says softly.

Krissy digs in hungrily.

Ashlynn automatically digs in and scarfs down her sandwich quickly, only choking once. She then starts to eat her carrots quickly.

"Thanks, Babe," AJ smiles, picking it up to take a bite.

Then Kevin gets milk for the girls and a coke for both he and Alex.

Ashlynn drinks her milk quickly, and is now done her carrots. She'd eaten everything in record time, now that she wasn't in such a sour mood.

AJ raises his eyebrows. "Seems we've a fast eater."

Kevin looks at Ashlynn worriedly. "Sweetie, slow down a little," he says gently. "I don't want you to choke."

Krissy's surprised. She's never seen anyone eat that fast. "You were hungry!" she exclaims with a look of awe.

Ashlynn shrugs. Wasn't so much she was hungry - was the fact she'd always had to eat quickly, unless she wanted trouble. She sits there quietly, swinging her feet, and picks Sammy back up to hug him tight.

AJ shakes his head. "Ash, you don't have to rush, okay? Just eat what you can at a normal pace."

Ashlynn nods slightly, now starting to feel like she'd done something wrong. She slides off the chair and disappears upstairs, without excusing herself first.

Kevin looks at AJ. "Poor kid," he says.

AJ nods. "Yeah. Her life has had to be rough."

Krissy finishes slowly as usual. She would rather drink milk as a meal than actually eat.

Kevin pushes his plate aside. "I'll go make sure she's okay."

"Alright. I'll clean up here," AJ says.

Kevin jogs up the stairs and heads for Ashlynn's room. "Ashlynn? Sweetie?" he calls poking his head in.

Ashlynn looks up. She'd been looking at one of Krissy's picture books.

AJ cleans everything up, then ushers Krissy upstairs for a nap.

Kevin smiles. "You know you're not in trouble, right?" he asks.

Krissy's not happy about going to bed, but doesn't make too much noise. She doesn't want a sore bottom to sleep with.

Ashlynn nods slightly, though she wasn't entirely sure. She goes back to looking at the book.

AJ tucks Krissy in and hands her a book. "Here. You can read if not sleepy, but stay quiet, okay?"

Kevin picks her up and sits her in his lap. "How about I tell you the story and then you can take a nap?" he suggests.

Krissy nods. She likes looking at books so this is an okay arrangement.

Ashlynn nods. She wanted to know what was going on in the book, and not just what she'd made up in her head.


A.N.: May you all have a very safe & happy New Year's! pEaCe! ~Lenni~