- Text Size +
A.N.: Hey y'all! Sorry it took me so long to post more. Hope y'all are still enjoying this fic. Disclaimer: Only own Ashlynn. Shelley owns Krissy, Mrs. Schmit, Mrs. Bitner, & Mrs. Thompson. AJ & Kevin own themselves. Thank-you. Enjoy!
TUESDAY MORNING...

AJ's already packed the girls' lunches, and is currently getting a quick breakfast together for them.

Kevin was up and dressed for work as usual when he woke up Krissy. "C'mon, cutie," he said. "Your clothes are on the rocking chair and Daddy AJ will do your hair," he says and then goes to Ashlynn's room.

AJ has set the muffins on the table for the girls, then runs upstairs to do Krissy's hair. "We're running a little late, Baby."

Ashlynn's curled up tightly in a ball in her bed, snoring softly.

Kevin gently shakes Ashlynn. "C'mon, pumpkin. Time to get up for school," he says getting out a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Ashlynn grumbles and buries her face in her pillow.

Krissy gets ready as quickly as she can. "Why we late?" she asks.

Kevin shakes his head. "Nope, no sleeping in. Gotta get up," he says and sits her up. He quickly gets her undressed before pulling the t-shirt over her head.

"Daddy and I slept in," AJ admits.

Ashlynn struggles with him angrily. She wanted to sleep.

Having raised a toddler already, he's pretty good at getting kids in and out of clothes so it doesn't take long to get clean panties and the jeans on.

Ashlynn keeps fighting with him.

"Ashlynn, come on, baby. School will be fun. I promise not to leave you until you feel okay, but we've got to get going."

AJ does Krissy's hair in pigtails. "Alright. Let's go get some breakie."

Krissy hurries downstairs and gets a muffin. "C'n I have juice in the car?" she asks.

Ashlynn scowls, and flops back down on her bed. She lays there, arms crossed, staring up at him angrily. Sammy was lying next to her.

"Sure," AJ answers, handing her the muffin he'd made.

Kevin sighs. "Ashlynn, you know I'll look after you and I won't leave you, but we can't make Krissy late so I need you to cooperate."

Ashlynn doesn't move, just lies there and glares.

Krissy grins and stuffs the muffin in her mouth. "Where do I go after school?" She asks. Sometimes she goes to Gramma's, but usually she goes to Aunt Becky's and Aunt Sam's for daycare.

"I'm not sure," AJ answers. "We'll ask Daddy in the car." He then calls upstairs. "C'mon Kev! I got everything but us in the car!"

Kevin picks her up and swats her bottom firmly five times. "Are we going back to this?" he asks grabbing a hairbrush and running it through her hair as gently as possible.

Krissy giggles thinking this rushy feeling is kind of funny.

Ashlynn cries, as she didn't want to go nor start getting in trouble again. She manages to grab hold of Sammy and clings to him tightly.

AJ scoops Krissy up and runs about playfully as they wait on the two upstairs. "Shoes! Jacket!"

He gets Krissy all ready to go and kisses her head. "Thank-you for listening this morning."

Krissy smiles. "You're welcome, Fred," she answers feeling very silly.

AJ laughs and kisses her head again. "KEVIN! C'MON!"

Kevin puts Ashlynn's hair up in a ponytail. "Come on, Ashlynn," he says holding her hand. "I promise. I won't leave until you say it's okay."

Ashlynn sighs, but lets him lead her downstairs, Sammy still in her arms.

"We're late! We're late! For a very important date!" AJ sings, sounding like the white rabbit from Alice In Wonderland.

Kevin gets downstairs and grabs Ashlynn’s jacket. "All set. Grab a muffin for the car," he tells AJ.

AJ nods and grabs a muffin. He hands it to Ashlynn on their way out.

Krissy giggles and claps, a big fan of that movie

Ashlynn scowls munching on her muffin silently.

Krissy quickly climbs into the car. She's been around enough to experience late days so she's good at helping where she can.

Kevin opens Ashlynn's door. "Climb in, kiddo," he says giving AJ an apologetic look.

Ashlynn gets in and buckles her and Sammy up.

AJ gets in quickly, behind the wheel. "Just hurry Kev."

Kevin hops in and buckles up. "Go."

He grabs the juice AJ brought and hands one to each child. "There you go, guys."

AJ hits the gas pedal and peels out of their driveway rather quickly.

Krissy giggles again.

Ashlynn drinks the juice and eats the muffin. She didn't find any of this amusing at all.

AJ reaches the school shortly, and gets Krissy out quickly, grabbing her stuff. "C'mon Kiddo. You're late."

Krissy turns to her sister. "School's fun!" she exclaims.

Krissy hops out and tries to keep up with Daddy as they race to her classroom.

"Chat later!" AJ says, laughing as they take off.

Kevin takes a deep breath and takes more time to get Ashlynn out.

Kevin opens the door and holds out his hand. "So do you want to tell me what happened overnight?" he asks. "You were so cooperative yesterday. What's wrong today?" he asks.

Ashlynn gets out, not wanting any more spankings, but brings Sammy with her. She was scared. She took hold of Kevin's hand and didn't utter a word - not that she'd decided to talk at home or anything.

He holds her hand with one hand and puts his other arm around her to reassure her.

Ashlynn looks at the building and scowls. She reaches up, wanting to be picked up, though she's her knapsack on.

AJ's decided to stay with Krissy's class for a bit, to help entertain.

Mrs. Bitner looks very surprised to see Krissy enter the room with AJ, not to mention late. "Oh!" she says as all the children finish getting settled. "Is everything okay?" she asks a little worriedly.

Krissy grins up at her teacher. "I got a sister!" she announces proudly.

"Yes. We just overslept," AJ laughs. "Sorry about that." He smiles at Krissy. "Yes, that too. An un-co-operative one."

Kevin picks her up and nuzzles her. "Is it scary?" he asks trying yes or no questions.

Ashlynn nods, burying her face into him and Sammy.

Mrs. Bitner laughs. "An un-co-operative baby?" she asks misunderstanding.

Krissy shakes her head. "A big sissy!" she exclaims.

Mrs. Bitner laughs. "Well how about you go hang up your jacket and backpack and then you can tell the whole class?" she asks.

"Yes, a big sissy," AJ nods. "I'm going to stay a bit, if it's okay."

Kevin holds her tight. "I promise I won't leave until you say it's okay."

Ashlynn nods, still feeling terrified. She was afraid they'd find out she couldn't read nor spell anything but her own name.

Mrs. Bitner nods. "That's fine. Maybe you'd help out in awhile?" she asks hopefully. "It's music day," she explains.

"Ooh! Cool!" AJ grins. "I LOVE music day!"

Kevin holds her tight as they enter the office. He tells the secretary the situation and she has them wait in a small room with a table and a few chairs. Kevin holds Ashlynn on his lap. "Before you get a classroom, they're going to find out what you know and what you still need to learn," he explains.

Krissy giggles but remembers to go put her things away.

Ashlynn sighs heavily.

Mrs. Bitner gathers the children over to the carpet waiting for Krissy to join them.

AJ joins everyone on the carpet.

Krissy sits between two of her little friends and pays attention quietly.

Kevin kisses her head. "There are no right or wrong answers okay?" he asks. "You won't get in trouble if you don't know something."

Ashlynn nods slightly. She hugs Sammy tighter.

Just then, a woman walks in and smiles at Kevin and Ashlynn.

Ashlynn squirms as someone enters the room.

"Hello!" she says extending a hand to Kevin.

Kevin shakes it. "I'm Kevin Richardson."

Ashlynn eyes her warily.

"I'm Mrs. Thompson," the woman says. "I'm an educational counselor," she explains. "I understand Ashlynn here has recently come from foster care and you're not sure where she is in school?"

Kevin nods. "And I'm warning you now, she doesn't talk much."

Ashlynn frowns and squirms again.

Mrs. Thompson smiles. "Well that's alright. Ashlynn? Is there a way you would talk that doesn't use your voice?" she asks thinking that maybe Ashlynn would be willing to draw pictures.

Ashlynn signs "Yes" to her.

"She's been using sign language," Kevin explains.

Ashlynn nods.

Mrs. Thompson beams. "My! That's a very special talent!" she says to Ashlynn. "I confess I don't know it very well, but I know another teacher who does, and I just saw her," she says and disappears for a moment.

Ashlynn giggles, finding that funny - that a teacher didn't know something.

Kevin grins at Ashlynn. "Wow! You've really impressed her!" he tells his daughter before kissing her cheek.

Ashlynn just smiles innocently. She knew she could talk with her hands, but other things - well...

After getting all the everyday stuff taken care of and letting Krissy talk about her new sister Mrs. Bitner introduces AJ. "Children, this is Krissy's daddy Mr. McLean," she says.

All the children say hi together.

"Hello," AJ smiles.

Kevin smiles as Mrs. Thompson returns with another woman.

Ashlynn hides behind Sammy again.

"Ashlynn, Mr. Richardson, this is Mrs. Schmit," she says.

Mrs. Schmit kneels in front of Ashlynn and signs "Hello."

Ashlynn nods. She wished they'd finish - she wanted to find Krissy and go play.

"Mr. McLean? Would you mind teaching the children a new song for music day?" she asks.

"Sure!" AJ grins. "I know a Halloween song."

Krissy grins and claps, very excited.

Mrs. Bitner nods. "The floor is all yours."

Mrs. Schmit nods. "Is this your bear?" she asks.

IN sign language

AJ starts to sing, helping the children along the way. "Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate. The first one said Oh my it's getting late..."

Ashlynn nods and signs back "Yes. Sammy. Don't touch."

Mrs. Schmit nods. "Okay," she agrees. "I won't touch him. Have you or Sammy ever been to school?" she signs

Krissy's learned the song before so she sings along easily.

Ashlynn nods. "Yep," she signs. "F*cking waste of time." She blushes when she realizes what she'd signed.

The kids are having a great time

"Second one said there are witches in the hair..." AJ continues.

Mrs. Schmit is a bit taken aback, but notices Ashlynn's response. "Did you know that was a naughty word?" she signs.

"Yes," Ashlynn signs back, looking sheepish. "Slipped. Don't tell Daddy!"

Mrs. Schmit nods. "If you promise not to say it again, I won't tell," she signs.

Ashlynn nods her head yes, to show her agreement.

Krissy tries to show her friends how to do it right, being a little bossy.

Mrs. Schmit nods and smiles broadly. "Why was it a waste of time?" she signs.

AJ taps her on the head lightly, and crosses his eyes as he sings. "Third one said but we don't care..."

Ashlynn signs back, "Boring. Wanna play, not learn."

Krissy frowns for a minute, but enjoys the song too much to dwell on it.

Mrs. Schmit nods. "What if I make learning like playing?" she asks.

"Fourth one said let's run and run and run," AJ goes on.

Ashlynn shrugs. "Kay," she signs.

She waits for some tougher questions.

"Fifth one said, I'm ready for some fun," AJ sings.

Mrs. Schmit smiles. "Do you know how to read?" she signs.

Ashlynn bites her lip slightly, and lies. "Yes," she signs.

Kevin is watching closely and can tell a lying child a mile away. "Are you telling the truth?" he asks Ashlynn. "Remember I said there are no right or wrong answers, but lying is always, always, always wrong."

Krissy plays along happily, trying to sneak in instructions when Daddy’s facing someone else.

"Can read," Ashlynn still signs. She'd been made fun of before, and had vowed not to let it happen again.

"Ooh went the wind and out went the light," AJ finishes. "And the five little pumpkins rolled outta sight."

Mrs. Schmit nods. "Very good," she signs. She'd worked with children like Ashlynn before and had a pretty good idea of how to proceed. "Would you mind being in my class?" she signed.

Ashlynn shrugs. She didn't really care. She was starting to feel bad about lying though.

She stares down at the floor now.

AJ finishes singing, and applauds the kids in the class. "Good job!"

Krissy claps so the other kids do too.

AJ laughs.

Mrs. Schmit smiles. "It isn't a very big class so we can work just you and me a lot. And if you decide you'd like to go to another class later then we'll work that out then. Okay?"

Ashlynn nods again. She wanted to cry.

Mrs. Bitner smiles "That was wonderful! What do we say to Mr. McLean?" she asks the class.

AJ just grins. "Thanks."

Mrs. Schmit nods. "I'll go make up a list of supplies," she tells Kevin and then I'll take both of you to the classroom.

Kevin nods. "Okay," he replies as the two teachers leave the room. He knows Ashlynn's been put in a type of special Ed, but it wasn't unavoidable.

He smiles at Ashlynn. "She isn't too scary, huh?"

"Thank you!" the kindergarten class says together

Ashlynn turns and hides her face into Kevin's chest. They'd find out now - she couldn't read or write. She hadn't learned anything back in kindergarten, but had been passed to the next grade, as the teachers didn't want to deal with her.

Krissy giggles feeling very proud of her daddy

"You're welcome!" AJ says with the same enthusiasm.

Mrs. Bitner claps her hands for attention. "Now everyone go to their chair and we'll have a snack before ABC time," she says.

Krissy gets up and races over to her chair.

AJ laughs at the kids, and follows Krissy to her table.

"Krissy!" Mrs. Bitner calls over the din. "Please come back and walk," she says gently.

Krissy looks up and frowns, but does as she's told.

AJ raises his eyebrows. He'd forgotten the no running rule.

Mrs. Schmit returns shortly and hands a piece of paper to Kevin.

Ashlynn peeks at it, wondering what it said.

Kevin nods. "We've already got most of this, but I'll pick up the rest tonight," he assures Mrs. Schmit.

Ashlynn pretends to read it.

Mrs. Schmit nods with a smile. "Ready to go see your classroom?" she asks Ashlynn.

Ashlynn nods slightly, though still clings to Kevin and Sammy tightly.

She sighed heavily.

Krissy finally gets to her table, but after all her friends.

AJ's sitting at the table, waiting for her.

Mrs. Bitner starts to hand out goldfish crackers to all the children. "Mr. McLean, I wonder if you could help with juice?" she asks.

"Sure!" AJ says, getting up to pass it out.

Mrs. Schmit leads Kevin and Ashlynn down the hallway to a classroom.

Kevin holds Ashlynn's hand the whole way.

Ashlynn remains silent, still scared. She hugged Sammy closer.

AJ makes sure to get the children to laugh as he hands out the juice.

Ashlynn peeks into the classroom once they reach it, and clings tighter to Kevin's hand.

Mrs. Schmit opens the door and walks in. There is one other teacher already there and working with a few other children in a small group.

Ashlynn eyes them all warily.

Mrs. Schmit leads Ashlynn over to a desk. "This will be your desk, Ashlynn," she signs. "The teacher over there is Mrs. Kennedy. She teaches the older kids."

Ashlynn nods and cautiously sits down, Sammy in her lap.

AJ finishes and goes back to sitting at Krissy's table.

Kevin smiles and pulls up a chair to sit near her.

Ashlynn looks around and frowns when she sees all the brightly coloured signs she can't read.

Mrs. Schmit brings over a worksheet with some letters on it and sits down in another chair.

Ashlynn eyes the worksheet, wanting to know what it was.

Mrs. Bitner waits for the kids to finish their snacks and then dismisses them one table at a time to go throw away their cups and wash their hands.

AJ watches, highly amused.

Mrs. Schmit smiles. "Can you point to the A?" she signs.

Krissy talks with her friends until one of them gets splashed from a boy whose just trying to be a pain.

Ashlynn nods. She knew the A's, as her name started with one. She pointed to it.

Krissy frowns and splashes water back at him making all her friends giggle.

AJ's looking about the room.

Mrs. Schmit smiles. "How about an S?"

Ashlynn points to that too. She then decides to be smart, and points to the other letters in her name as well. She smiles proudly.

Mrs. Bitner turns around. "Krissy! No, no, no!" she exclaims. "You know there's no splashing at the sink," she says going over to the group of children and turning the water off.

Mrs. Bitner hands a towel to each child looking at Krissy sternly.

AJ looks over, but stays out of it.

Krissy frowns. "But he splashed first!" she protests, pointing at the boy in question.

AJ just watches.

Mrs. Schmit beams. "My! You must know your name!" she signs. "Can you write your name?" she signs.

Ashlynn nods. She wasn't stupid.

Mrs. Bitner shakes her head. "You ask him to stop with words or you come get me, but no splashing back," she scolds. "I think you both should spend some time in time out," she says. "Brad, over there. Krissy, over there," She says pointing to opposite corners.

AJ sighs slightly and shakes his head.

Kevin quickly gets a pencil out of Ashlynn’s backpack and hands it to her.

"Thank you, " Mrs. Schmit signs to Kevin. "Ashlynn, will you write your name on the worksheet please?"

Ashlynn rolls her eyes and writes her name at the top of the worksheet.

Mrs. Schmit smiles. "Very good! Now let’s try a different letter. Can you point to the R?" she signs.

Krissy hesitates trying to decide whether arguing is a good idea or not.

Ashlynn stares at the worksheet a second, but knows she'll never find it. She picks the worksheet up and rips it in half with a shrug.

Mrs. Bitner just looks steadily at Krissy.

Kevin's surprised and looks at Mrs. Schmit.

AJ still watches quietly.

Mrs. Schmit is not very surprised and just collects the two pieces of worksheet.

Krissy sighs in a huff and stomps over to the time out corner angrily.

Ashlynn hugs Sammy and kisses his head, unconcerned.

AJ shakes his head, watching his youngest.

Mrs. Schmit looks at Ashlynn. "Do you only know the letters in your name?" she signs, but still with a pleasant attitude.

Mrs. Bitner quickly got the other children settled and handed out worksheets.

"No," Ashlynn signs back with a frown. She was not going to admit the teacher was right.

Mrs. Schmit looks confused. "Then why did you stop? You were doing so well!"

"Alright, Brad. Krissy? You may come back to your tables now," Mrs. Bitner says.

Ashlynn just scowls at the teacher, not amused.

Krissy gets up and hurries back to her table, but makes sure to walk.

AJ smiles when she remembers not to run.

Mrs. Schmit looks up at Kevin. "Generally, children in foster care are not at grade level," she explains. "And I would guess that this is how Ashlynn avoids learning. It's her goal to make me mad or frustrated so that I stop trying."

Kevin nods, listening.

Krissy sits down and picks up her pencil, paying attention to her teacher. She doesn't want to look at Daddy, afraid she's in trouble with him too.

Ashlynn's frown deepens as she continues to play quietly with Sammy. How dare the teacher figure her out.

AJ leans over and kisses her head quickly, not wanting to distract her too much.

Mrs. Schmit stands up. "I also imagine that she's been the victim of ridicule in other schools. The best I can do is assure her that no one will think she's stupid here, but I think Ashlynn's done listening to me for the day."

Krissy smiles a little. Okay. Daddy's not mad.

Kevin nods noting that Ashlynn had lied to him.

Ashlynn gets up abruptly and heads for the door, now more than ready to leave and go home. She didn't care that it wasn't even lunch yet. She only knew what time lunch was, as she'd stared at the clock until the lunch bell would ring.

AJ smiles and watches his baby learn.

Ashlynn reaches the door, and now stands there, angrily waiting for Kevin to hurry and catch up.