- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's more. Hehe. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Same as before. I own Ashlynn, Shelley owns the wives, & all the other kids. BSB own themselves. Thank-you.

Brian, Samantha, Baylee (8), Ben (5), Jamie (5), and Grace (2) come into the yard followed by Howie (who still isn't married ‘cause he won't admit he's gay)

AJ looks up when he hears more people enter the yard. "Hey gang!"

Krissy jumps off her swing and races to Jamie. "Jamie!" she yells with a smile.

Jamie races forward and hugs Krissy.

Brian and Howie wave as Samantha walks slowly behind with the toddler.

Ashlynn looks over, her eyes going huge upon spotting Brian. She was in completely and total awe, as she stared across the yard at the man she'd wanted to meet since forever.

AJ goes over and scoops Grace up, tickling her. "Hey Squirt!" He blows raspberries on her tummy.

Grace giggles and squirms.

Kevin beckons for Ashlynn to come over to him. "Ashlynn, c'mere, honey!"

AJ laughs.

Krissy and Jamie make a beeline for the swing set and take turns pushing each other.

Ashlynn gets over her initial shock, then lets out a delighted squeal. "BRIAN!" She shrieks, never having had sounded happier in her life. She runs for him, instead of Kevin.

AJ just about drops Grace from shock. He hadn't expected Ashlynn to actually say, more or less scream Brian's name.

Brian looked surprised too, but smiled and opened his arms. He'd gotten used to giving relatively strange people hugs over the years. More kids since he started working as a youth music director for his church.

Krissy and Jamie giggle thinking Ashlynn was acting weird. After all, to them, it was just Jamie's daddy. What's the big deal?

Ashlynn hugs him tightly, having had forgotten Sammy over by the swings in her state of excitement. She'd never felt as happy as she did right then. The man she was hugging was her Idol.

AJ sits back down now, Grace in his lap. "So...now what we gonna do? Everybody's here."

Howie, holding his three-year-old daughter Caroline, sat down next to Becky in a lawn chair.

Ashlynn still clings tightly to Brian.

Brian smiled at Ashlynn. "So I hear it's your birthday," he said.

Ashlynn looks up at him, smiling as she nods.

Sammy still sits all alone over by the swings.

AJ bounces Grace on his knees.

Brian smiles. "Well happy birthday! Did you tell your Gramma what kind of cake to make?"

Ashlynn shakes her head no. She hadn't wanted to talk to her Gramma when she'd been asked.

Brian looks surprised. "Then how do we know it isn't spinach cake?!" He asks worriedly. "We'd better go test it."

Ashlynn nods her head eagerly. She'd test the cake, though she did like spinach.

"I think we'd best have something healthy to eat first," AJ pipes up. "Can't just eat cake."

Brian frowns. "You know, you're younger than me. You shouldn't be more mature."

Nick laughs. "Does that mean I can go play video games?" he asks hopefully.

"No!" AJ says. "Not your birthday Nicky."

Kevin stands in the doorway, his broad shoulders barricading the opening. "No one over the age of 8 gets to act immature," he declares in a deep, authoritative voice.

Ashlynn giggles, still not realizing she's left Sammy alone.

AJ rolls his eyes. "Like that's not immature, Kev."

"Can we start the party?" AJ says. "I mean, we've got hungry kids, who are just standing about like bumps on a log."

Kevin nods. "All right, but stay away from the cake, B," he says.

Baylee and Ben start playing catch with a ball and their mitts that they brought with. Sam didn't expect them to get too eager about a little girl's birthday party.

Ashlynn sees Baylee, and smiles even more. Finally! Somebody her age!

Kevin lets everyone into the kitchen where a buffet has been set up, complete with hot dogs, burgers, chips, potato salad.

AJ takes Grace around, getting her a few small things to munch on.

Sam, knowing AJ had Grace walks over to the edge of the deck. "Jamie! Krissy! C'mon, girls! Time to eat!"

Ashlynn spots Sammy over by the tree, and immediately lets go of Brian to go and rescue her friend. She scoops her bear up and sits upon a swing to watch Baylee.

AJ steals Caroline from Howie, and disappears to the living room to sit with the toddlers. He was a big kid at heart, where toddlers were concerned.

Baylee smiles at Ashlynn. "Hi, he says a little shy but looking almost exactly like Brian.

Ashlynn smiles back just as shy. "Hi..."

Kevin helps Krissy get a plate while Sam helps Jamie and then she fixes a plate for Ben and Baylee.

Ashlynn still swings quietly.

Once Krissy's settled on the deck with Jamie, Kevin gets a plate and goes over to Ashlynn and the boys with Sam. "Here you go, Ashlynn," he says kissing the top of her head.

"C'mon, guys, put the ball away and eat," Sam says giving each a plate and then returning to the adults on the deck with Kevin.

Ashlynn gives him a smile and eats her hot dog, setting Sammy down at her feet again.

Baylee looks at Ben wondering what he should say. Ashlynn didn't say anything back.

"Happy Birthday," Baylee finally says. That was polite.

Ben nodded. "What'd ya ask for?" he asks enthusiastically.

Ashlynn grins at him. She sets her plate down and goes over to him. She kisses his cheek, then grabs his hand to drag him back over to the swings.

She smiles at Ben, and waits until the adults have left. "Brian," she says softly.

AJ's eating and exciting the toddlers.

He'd dragged Nick into the living room with him as well.

Nick laughs. "If you like toddlers so much why don't you and Kev get another baby?" he asks. "I mean Krissy's from Kevin. Why don't you get another surrogate mother and get another one, but make it from you?" he asks.

Baylee looks confused. "You asked for Dad?"

"Hmm...Don't think we ever thought about it," AJ shrugs. "And we did just get Ashlynn and all."

Ashlynn nods. "Uh-huh."

She takes another bite out of her hotdog.

"I don't think we can handle another child at the moment," AJ tells Nick. "Not after bringing Ashlynn home. You're lucky - you're seeing the sweet innocent side of her. Kev must've threatened her."

Nick nods. "At least you two have your discipline methods already established," he points out.

"True," AJ agrees. "But Kev does most of it...Well, Ashlynn's anyway."

Baylee's confusion increases. "Why? He's a dad? I mean, he makes ya do homework and eat vegetables and take baths and go to bed," he says listing all the things he hated about parents.

"He's cute!" Ashlynn argues. "He's a Backstreet Boy! I watched 'em on TV this mornin'!"

Becky rolls her eyes from her spot next to Nick. "Oh please. You can't tell me Krissy's ever in trouble. She and Jamie are two of the most polite little girls I've ever seen!"

"Oh, believe me, Krissy has her moments," AJ says. "But no one can be as bad as Ashlynn."

Baylee just shrugs. "But they don't do shows anymore. Now Dad works at a church."

Sam nods. "And Jamie is no angel. She has plenty of Brian in her."

Ashlynn frowns. "Didn't know that..."

AJ laughs. "Poor kid!"

She'd thought they still toured and stuffed, and had wanted to go with them. She pushes her hotdog around on her plate dejectedly.

"Want more kids?" AJ asks. "You can have the Birthday Girl."

Baylee frowns. "Sorry," he says quietly.

"I didn't mean to make you sad or anything," he adds. "I just didn't understand why you'd want my dad for your birthday."

"Was told they toured still," Ashlynn says softly.

Baylee looked even more confused. "By who?"

"Some girl I used to know," Ashlynn says quietly, trying not to cry. "Bets he don't even sing no more!" She cries, dropping her plate and running to sit and hide behind a tree with Sammy.

Kevin had been watching from the deck where he was talking with Brian, Denise, and Howie.

He stood up and Brian turned to see what had gotten his attention. Kevin walked over to Baylee and Ben. "What happened?" he asked.

Ashlynn curls up behind a tree crying into Sammy.

Baylee shrugged. "I explained that you don't do shows anymore," he answered honestly.

AJ's still bugging Sam, Becky, and Nick about taking more kids.

Nick laughs. "Not till he's potty trained," he says nodding towards Evin.

Sam shakes her head. "Four is plenty," she says.

AJ laughs as well. "Well, Ashlynn's potty-trained."

Kevin nods. "I see." He goes over to the tree and sits down next to Ashlynn. "Baby? What's wrong?" he asks with concern.

Ashlynn turns away from him angrily. "He don't sings!"

Kevin looks confused. "Brian?"

Ashlynn nods. "No stage."

Kevin nods. "No, there's no stage stuff anymore," he agrees. "Because if we still went on tour we wouldn't get to be with our kids."

Ashlynn scowls. "Wan' him sing!"

AJ tickles Grace, then Caroline. "Lil' Ankle-Biters."

Sam smacks him upside the back of the head. "My baby isn't an ankle-biter!"

Kevin scoops Ashlynn up and puts her in his lap. "He sings at his church."

"Ow!" AJ exclaims, rubbing his head. "She's a cute ankle-biter!"

Ashlynn shakes her head. That wasn't the same as singing and dancing onstage. "Wan' him dance!"

Nick just laughs while he plays with Evin, Grace, and Caroline too."

AJ throws a pillow at Nick's head. "Shaddup Carter."

Kevin kisses the side of her head. "What if we do a show for you today on your birthday? Would that make you feel better?" he asks.

Ashlynn nods, as she sniffles. She wanted to seem them sing and dance and do all those cool moves.

Kevin kisses her forehead. "Will you be okay playing with Baylee and the other kids for awhile? We have to go practice for a little bit if you want a show."

Ashlynn nods, gives him a kiss, then runs back over to where Baylee and Ben still sat. She threw her arms about Baylee in a hug.

Baylee was more than a little surprised but knew the polite thing to do would be hug her back so he did.

Ben just snickered and ran inside.

Ashlynn kisses Baylee's cheek again, like she had earlier. "They're gonna dance!" She tells him excitedly. “We gots to play a bit."

Kevin shakes his head. "Five year olds," he says shaking his head and then jogs into the house. "B., AJ, Howie, Nick let's hit the basement," he says opening the door to the basement steps.

Baylee had never been kissed by someone other than his mom, Leighanne, or his sister but he sort of didn't mind.

AJ looks up confused. "I'm sure you'll explain once you've captured us all," he says, handing Grace over to Sam.

Ashlynn grins at him happily. "Let's play!"

Nick looks confused. "Is it really fair to beat a basement?" he asks. "I mean it's already down!"

AJ whacks Nick upside the head. "Carter! Get your butt down there!"

Howie follows Nick and Brian after AJ down to the basement where Kevin's messing around in the sound room.

Brian's still working on a hotdog. "What exactly are we doing?" he asks.

"So...what's up Kev?" AJ asks.

Baylee nods. "What do you want to play?" he asks.

Kevin sets the speakers to filter into the big rec room.

Ashlynn drags Baylee over to a bush and sits down, so that they can hide behind it. "Secrets, Doctor, I dunno," Ashlynn shrugs.

AJ just watches him looking confused.

"Ashlynn thought we still went on tour. She really wants to see us dance and stuff and was crushed when Baylee explained we're boring old people now."

"So what?" AJ says. "He's right."

Baylee looks confused. "Secrets?" he asks.

"We tell each other secrets!" Ashlynn explains. "Duh!"

Brian looks offended. "Did he actually say boring old people? In those exact words?" he asks.

Kevin just rolls his eyes.

AJ laughs. "Rok! You worry too damned much."

Baylee shrugs. "But I don't have any secrets."

"Then let's play Doctor! Or dare!" Ashlynn says.

Kevin shakes his head as Backstreet's Back comes on. "This has the best choreography that doesn't require props," he decides.

Nick just laughs. "You realize how longs it's been since we did this?" he asks.

"Thank God for that," AJ mutters.

"Yeah! Nicky's rusty!"

Baylee looks a little intrigued. "Dare?" he asks.

Ashlynn nods. "Uh-huh. We dare each other to do things!"

Kevin just rolls his eyes. "Look guys, she's never had a real birthday party or anyone that cares enough to get her something nice."

"I'm not asking you to go back on tour, one short show. Please?"

AJ rolls his eyes. "Like I've much of a choice Kev."

Bailey smiles. That sounds like fun. "Okay, you go first."

Ashlynn thinks a moment. "I dare you...to stand on your head!"

Baylee laughs. "Okay," he says and does it the way his PE teacher showed him.

Ashlynn giggles watching him. "Your turn!"

Kevin goes out into the rec room and marks off a stage with duct tape

AJ laughs watching him. "Good thing we've a large rec room, huh?"

"Okay, from the top," he says using a remote in his pocket to make the song start from the beginning.

AJ just laughs and goes to his spot. "Luckily, I remember this."

Kevin just shakes his head and goes through the song with the rest of the guys.

"Dare me now!" Ashlynn says excitedly.

AJ stops dancing a moment. "Wait a minute...these are our kids...so no pelvic moves, right?"

Kevin nods. "Right!"

AJ groans. "Ma-an!"

Baylee tries to think. "Um...I dare you to get as high as Ben's head on the swing and then jump off," he says thinking that's pretty good.

Brian kicks him in the ass and then looks at Kevin. "So was that good enough?" he asks the perfectionist.

Ashlynn giggles and runs over to swing. She swings way higher than Ben's head, then jumps off. She giggles when she lands, then runs over to him. "I dare you to jump in the pool!"

"Ow!" AJ cries, rubbing his ass. "Holy-jerk!"

Baylee's about to comply but hesitates. "But I don't have any dry clothes," he says.

Kevin nods.

"Let's sing through Shape of My Heart and I Want it That Way."

"I got some! I stole Daddy's shirt!" Ashlynn says proudly. "Now jump!"

AJ nods. "Alrighty! Hit it Rok!"

Brian starts singing

Baylee looks confused. "You stole?" he asks.

AJ messes around a bit, trying to throw him off.

Brian kicks at him, un-phased.

"Outta the laundry!" Ashlynn says. "It's clean!"

"Hey! Watch the ass!" AJ yelps.

Baylee hesitates. "What about pants?" he asks.

Kevin separates both of them.

"Gots boxers!" Ashlynn grins.

AJ grumbles, and sneaks back a moment later to pester again.

Ashlynn moves closer to Baylee, prepared to shove him in if she has to.

Baylee sighs. "Alright," he agrees and kicks off his sneakers before jumping in the pool.

Krissy and Jamie and Ben are watching from nearby and their mouths drop open.

Ashlynn giggles, and shrieks playfully when she gets splashed. She hated water, but she'd seen it coming, so it hadn't been so bad.

Jamie stands up. "Baylee, you're in trouble!" she yells. "No swimming without a grown up! I'm gonna tell!"

"No you're not!" Ashlynn snaps.

Baylee scrambles out of the pool. "Jamie! No!" he exclaims.

But Jamie's already inside. "Mommy! Baylee went in the pool!"

Ashlynn grabs Baylee's hand and runs off for the front yard, knowing everyone will look for them in the back.

Sam turns around and sees Baylee dripping wet on the pool deck. Frankly she's shocked.

Baylee stumbles along behind Ashlynn, but as he's not as small as Krissy he can stop it. "Ashlynn, I'm already in trouble," he says as Samantha follows him, not looking happy.

Ashlynn huffs slightly, as she stops running. "Gonna beats her up...." She grumbles. She hugs Baylee tightly. "You're still gonna play with me, right?"

Baylee nods. "Yeah," he agrees. "But I don't want to get in double trouble."

"Sorry," Ashlynn says softly, still hugging him. "You're not gonna get spanked, are you?"

Samantha walks down the deck steps.

Baylee shrugs. "I dunno," he answers just as Samantha catches up to them. "So why were you in the pool?" she asks.

Baylee sighs. "We were playing a dare game," he explains.

Ashlynn looks ready to cry, scared she's gotten Baylee in trouble. She didn't know you weren't allowed in the pool. She hugs him tighter.

Sam nods. "So you're going to sit in wet jeans the rest of the day?" she asks.

Krissy runs downstairs and watches her Daddies.

Ashlynn still hugs Baylee, figuring she can protect him if she's latched on.

Baylee shrugs. "I guess," he answers softly. He was just trying to be polite and play with Ashlynn.

Ashlynn tugs on Baylee then, wanting him to follow. She had clothes for him.

But Baylee wasn't moving.

Sam turned to Ashlynn. "Ashlynn, do you have a pair of jeans Bailey could wear today?" she asked.

Ashlynn latches onto him again, once she sees he's not going to move yet.

Ashlynn nods.

Kevin looks up and smiles at Krissy. "What's up princess?" he asks.

AJ looks over as well.

"Ashlynn being nice?"

Krissy nods. "She and Baylee are playin'." She pauses. "In the pool."

"WHAT!?!?!" AJ exclaims knowing Ashlynn hates the water.

Ashlynn tries to drag Baylee off again.

"Alright, will you go get a pair of jeans, Ashlynn?" She asks and takes Baylee’s free hand, leading him back in through the back door.

Kevin races up the stairs with Brian on his heels.

Krissy ducks so she isn't stepped on. "Well, Ashlynn didn't get in, but Baylee did," she says to AJ.

Ashlynn starts to cry as Baylee is taken away from her. She hadn't meant to get him in trouble; she didn't even realize she was now drenched too, from hugging him.

"Krissy, why didn't you say that to begin with?" AJ asks, "Ashlynn can't swim; now Daddy's scared."

Kevin rushes out of the house, hurrying past Sam and Baylee.

Krissy shrugs. "I dunno," she answers. "Ashlynn got splashed. Me and Jamie saw it."

AJ takes Krissy upstairs, and heads for the yard. "Kev! Only Baylee went in!" He calls.

Kevin hurries to Ashlynn. "Are you alright?" he asks in a panic.

"BAYLEE!" Ashlynn screams.

Brian stops to talk to Sam and Baylee. "You're not allowed near the pool!" He exclaims.

Ashlynn goes to run after Baylee, wanting to save him from getting in trouble. She didn't like seeing others get hurt because of her.

AJ peers out into the yard, still holding Krissy. He sets her down. "Run along and play with Jamie, alright?"

Baylee looked at the floor. "It was a game," he says.

Brian shakes his head. "We'll talk about a punishment when we get home," he says.

Ashlynn runs into the house and quickly latches onto Baylee from behind.

"NO!" She shrieks, upon hearing Brian.

Baylee jumps in surprise.

Kevin comes in behind her and unlatches her from Baylee. "Ashlynn, calm down," he says. "You're all wet, let's go get you changed into dry clothes and then you can see us sing," he says hoping to get her mind on something happy.

Sam looks at AJ. "Could we borrow a towel and at least a clean t-shirt?" she asks.

Ashlynn automatically grabs Baylee's hand. She wanted to protect him, even if he was older than her. "Mine!" She says firmly.

AJ nods. "Yeah, sure." He disappears.

Ashlynn tries to drag him along with her. She was not leaving Baylee.

Baylee is so confused. "Um. It's okay, Ashlynn. I'm gonna get dried off too," he says thinking she's acting a lot like his sister does when she gets scared.

Ashlynn hugs him again. She refused to go anywhere without him with her.

AJ comes back with a towel and a shirt. "Here Sam."

Sam takes it with a smile. "Thanks."

Ashlynn's practically glued to Baylee.

Kevin decides to just make a decision and carefully pries Ashlynn's hand from Baylee's. "You'll see him in just a few minutes, honey," he assures her.

Before she can latch back on, he takes her upstairs to her room.

"NO!" Ashlynn shrieks, trying to get back to him. She was terrified he was going to get hurt in her absence.

She starts to cry all over again.

Sam hands Baylee the towel and t-shirt. "Go get dried off," she says a little tired.

AJ shrugs. "Not a clue what's with her."

Brian, Howie, and Nick all look worried, along with the ladies.

"She gets into tantrums easily," AJ says, as though he's ashamed. "We don't know why, but she freaks over little things."

Kevin holds Ashlynn and sits down on her bed. "Sweetheart, what's wrong?" he asks. "Tell me."

"He gonna get hurt!" Ashlynn shrieks. "No hurt!"

Kevin shakes his head. "No, Ashlynn. He's just getting dry. He's not getting hurt."

Brian sighs. "Have you called a councilor?" he asks.

"Trouble," Ashlynn cries. "Got him in it."

AJ shakes his head. "No. She'll probably just scream bloody murder through that too..."

"Wan' him to stay," Ashlynn adds softly. She wanted to have a sleep-over.

Kevin shakes his head. "Sweetie, you didn't get him trouble. He knew the rules and he broke them," he says. "It's not your fault."

Ashlynn just cries. "He no wanna! Me!"

Brian shakes his head. "We'll definitely keep you in our prayers."

Kevin starts to get her undressed. "Sweetie, if he didn't want to, then he wouldn't have."

AJ nods. "We'll need 'em, Rok," he says. "She's more than a handful."

"He sleep-over?" Ashlynn whimpers. She wanted to keep him safe long as she could.

Kevin shrugs. "I don't know, honey. You'll have to ask Uncle Brian and Aunt Sam," he says helping her get into dry clothes.

Ashlynn clings to him once she's dressed again. She sniffles.

"Want a kid, Rok?" AJ asks almost serious.

Brian obviously starts thinking about it. "If you're really having that rough of a time..."

"Exchange her for a new one?" AJ finishes.

Sam slaps Brian. "Honey! I know your heart is huge, but we can’t handle her."

AJ snickers. "Pay-back's a..."

Nick shakes his head. "Have you thought about taking her back?" he asks.

Becky slaps Nick. "Nick! She needs a family, not the system!"

"You really think Kevin will?" AJ says, eyeing Nick. "Fat chance, pal."

Ashlynn drags Kevin back downstairs, wanting Baylee again.

Nick looks at his wife with irritation. "But it can't be good for Krissy to be around this all the time."

"She gets cranky...and jealous," AJ sighs.

Ashlynn quietly enters the hall, in search of her new friend.

Kevin comes down behind Ashlynn.

Ashlynn goes looking for Baylee. She wanted to get him, so they could watch the Boys sing.

Baylee emerges from the downstairs bathroom dressed in dry clothes and looking like he might have been crying a little.

Ashlynn goes over and hugs him, now worried. "Why you cry?"

AJ looks over at Kevin. "We gonna sing now?"

Baylee shrugs. "I'm okay," he answers, embarrassed.

Kevin nods. "If the birthday girl still wants us too.

Ashlynn kisses his cheek. "C'mon. They gonna sing!"

AJ rolls his eyes. "A million bucks says she does."

Baylee nods. "Okay," he agrees.

Kevin leads everyone down to the basement.

Ashlynn drags Baylee along with her, not letting him go for a second.

"Think someone likes someone," AJ whispers to Brian.

Brian takes a deep breath. "Well he'd better get a lot better at resisting peer pressure," he whispers back as he follows Nick and Howie behind Kevin.

"But she's cute!" AJ chuckles, still whispering to Brian. "Girls can make us boys do anything."

The women bring the little ones downstairs while Krissy, Jamie, and Ben get comfy in a few beanbag chairs.

Brian looks at AJ in disbelief. "Aren't *you* immune?" he asks.

"Shaddup!" AJ says, entering the room.

Kevin goes into the studio to set up the play list and then meets the rest of the guys on the makeshift stage.

Ashlynn sits next to Baylee, never letting go of his hand.

Baylee looks at his capture hand and smiles a little anxiously. He's not sure how he feels about this, but it's not killing him so there's no point to make a big deal about it.

Kevin smiles. "Okay, so this is Ashlynn's birthday concert," he says and then uses the remote to start Backstreet's Back.

AJ automatically starts singing, smiling even more when he sees Ashlynn's eyes light up.

Ashlynn rests her head on Baylee's shoulder.

The other four "boys" do their moves and sing their parts.

Ashlynn smiles throughout the whole show, loving every single moment of it. She's only clinging to Baylee, as she's forgotten Sammy outside.

The song ends and Shape of My Heart starts.

Ashlynn grins, and lip syncs along.

They get through I Want it That Way and then the show ends.

Everyone claps and smiles and Becky and Sam even whistle.

Ashlynn jumps up and runs over to hug Kevin. She was positively beaming!

Nick rolls his eyes and Brian blushes.

Kevin smiles and hugs her back. "Was that what you expected?" he asks.

AJ shrugs it off.

Ashlynn giggles as she nods.

Kevin smiles. "Why don't you say thank you to everyone else, too?" he whispers to her.

Ashlynn runs about hugging everybody, making sure to hug Brian last as well as the longest.

Brian chuckles. "You're welcome, Ashlynn," he says returning the hug.

Nick scoops up his son and throws him up in the air. "So what about the cake?" he asks.

Becky slaps him playfully in the arm.

Ashlynn runs back to Baylee, and whispers in his ear. "Cake! Tell 'em!"

Baylee looks confused but complies. "Yeah. Ashlynn wants cake too," he says.

Kevin nods. "Alright," he agrees. "Everyone back upstairs."

Ashlynn kisses his cheek, then drags Baylee upstairs.

AJ chuckles and heads up.

Ashlynn suddenly realizes she doesn't have Sammy. "Sammy!" She cries, and drags Baylee back outside. She looks about and spots her beloved friend sunken in the pool where she'd dropped him when trying to help Baylee.

Kevin follows them outside and looks into the pool to see Sammy drowned. "Oh, man. Ashlynn, honey, I'm sorry," he says getting the pool net and fishing the teddy bear out.

Ashlynn watches, looking mortified.

A.J. is getting everything ready for cake.

Baylee nods. "Yeah. I didn't mean to make you drop your bear," he says.

Ashlynn grabs her wet friend from Kevin, and hugs him tightly. She kisses his head, then sticks her tongue out at the pool.

"Cake time!" AJ calls.

Kevin looks annoyed. "It's not the pools fault," he tells her. "You're the one that dared Baylee to jump in," he reminds her gently.

Ashlynn huffs, then with Sammy still clutched to her chest, grabs Baylee's hand and heads back for the house.

Baylee looks at the bear warily. "Why don't you put him in the dryer?" he asks.

Ashlynn looks startled. "Dunno where..." She tells him softly.

AJ finds them. "Here, I'll put Sammy in the dryer. Go get seated for cake." He takes Sammy.

Ashlynn scowls slightly, but drags Baylee off to the kitchen.

Baylee stumbles along as usual, but doesn't complain since that wouldn't be polite.

Denise waits for AJ to get back and then brings in the cake.

Everyone starts singing Happy Birthday to Ashlynn.

Ashlynn watches the cake, waiting for it to be set down. Once it is she blows out the candles, having had made a wish.

AJ takes pictures.

Krissy claps.

Kevin claps too and starts to cut pieces for everyone.

Ashlynn waits impatiently for her slice.

"Who wants ice cream?" Denise asks

Ashlynn holds her corner piece up.

Everyone says yes at the same time and Denise just laughs.

Denise smiles and puts some ice cream on Ashlynn's plate.

Kevin whispers to Ashlynn. "Say thank you," he reminds her gently.

Ashlynn smiles and sets her cake down. She signs thank-you, knowing Gramma understands.

AJ stuffs his piece into his mouth.

Denise beams and signs you're welcome after putting the ice cream back.

Ashlynn quickly finishes her cake, then runs over to the counter and sets it in the sink. She then runs back to wait for presents.

AJ laughs, as he does the same as her.

Ashlynn reaches over and steals a small piece of Baylee's slice of cake, and stuffs it into her mouth.

Kevin shakes his head. "Ashlynn. That wasn't nice," he says with a frown.

Ashlynn looks sheepish, and slides out of her chair to kiss Baylee's cheek.

Baylee turns bright red. "It's okay," he says. "I can't eat it all."

Ashlynn smiles softly and climbs back up onto her seat. She looks at Gramma. "Presents?" She signs.

AJ waits until most everybody is done cake, then goes off to find the presents, dragging Brian with him.

Brian chuckles. "Think you guys got enough?" he asks.

AJ shrugs. "Ask Kevin. He did the shopping."

Kevin hands out small party favors to all the kids so that everyone, especially the toddlers, don't feel the need to 'help' Ashlynn.

AJ re-enters the kitchen and sets the pile of presents on the floor next to Ashlynn. He kisses her head as he sees her eyes go huge. She picks one up and grins.