- Text Size +
Chapter Eight.





The trip towards their destination wasn’t long; in fact it was about 15-20 minutes long. The mini bus slowed down and stopped at a huge pair of security gates with 2 guards on either side. The driver rolled the window down and handed one guard a card, the bouncer-looking man looked from the card back to the driver and nodded and gave him back the card. Once the driver put his card away, the guards opened the gates and the mini bus drove on slowly. The guards waved at Nick and a sad looking Brian as they went past, Brian smiled and waved back and Nick giggled and waved.

“Where the hell are we?” AJ cursed and Howie smacked him across the back of the head as he looked out of the window. AJ turned round to glare at Howie who simply glared back and stuck out his tongue. AJ rolled his eyes and went back to looking at a very large building outside. Kevin kept talking to the driver who was eagerly talking back and laughing with him. Brian kept his gaze on his knees; he had been staring at them from when the mini bus got to the end of the street that the hotel was on because Nick was in his own world, completely oblivious to Brian. Nick kept daydreaming about how his life was getting better and that he could have a trust worthy friend for life…Tristen. He didn’t know that he was gradually killing Brian from inside. That kiss? What was it? For Nick it was weird but nice and yet comforting but for Brian, he didn’t mean to do it. He wanted to calm Nick down and he did it but at the same time, the feeling of Nick in his arms, kissing Nick, his lips, hair, eyes, smile…just everything about Nick there in one second of a kiss. Brian couldn’t help it, he felt strongly towards the kid now and he couldn’t stop it.

“Brian? You ok man?” Howie asked from where he had turned around, smiling his huge white smile at him. Brian’s head snapped up and he found himself looking right into deep brown eyes. Brian sighed and lent forward on Howie’s seat and placed his chin in his folded arms.

“Just tired that’s all Howie.” He lied bare faced to his new friend and band mate. He wasn’t tired; he was upset and mixed up at the same time. His heart was a mess and so was his head and it was all because of a young blond boy sat next to him. He didn’t want to tell Howie that though, he might run away or hate him. Howie raised his eyebrows and let out a long breath of air and nodded while he stretched his arms out.

“Yeah?” he asked as a yawn took over him before he could say anything else. Brian lifted his gaze from Howie’s shirt and looked at him questioningly.

“What? You don’t believe me?” he asked, shocked. He also feared what Howie thought, just in case he had already guessed some how. How though? Silly thoughts.

“No dude, I believe you. Heck Bri, if I’m this tired and you were up and doing things before I was then…you should be tired. Now…where the hell are we?” Brian sighed a sigh of relief. But…the tone Howie used while saying ‘I believe you’ and ‘If I’m this tired and you were up and doing things before I was then…’ was he implying something? Brian was dragged out of his thoughts when he heard Nick laughing next to him. He turned to look at Nick and saw him laughing at something in front of them. He turned his gaze back towards the front of the bus and saw AJ and Howie having a slapping fight.

“You…OW! You smacked me for saying ‘where the hell are we?’ so you…OUCH! Get one for saying it too!” AJ squealed and Howie ducked as a slap came for his face.

“Yeah, you get a slap coz you’re younger and need not to use that sorta cursing where as I am much older and I am allowed to, baby boy!” Howie began laughing and AJ took this time to crack him hard upside his face, knocking Howie out of his seat. He got up and dove at the 16 yr old opposite him and as a result of this, a full front brawl broke out on the mini bus floor. Nick jumped up laughing his face off while Brian rolled his eyes and sent his gaze outside.

“Ok guys…we’re…here…STOP FIGHTING NOW!” Kevin shouted from where he was and the fight stopped almost immediately. Nick went quiet and Brian began to laugh at how much control a few words had over two teenagers and an adult.

“Right…” Kevin began softly, “We’re here now so everyone outta the bus now, sensibly please.” He said and climbed out of his seat and got out of the bus, shutting the door behind him. Nick opened one side of the back doors as Brian opened the other side, their hands touching slightly. Nick froze and Brian went stiff. Brian almost burst into tears and Nick started to shake, images of them kissing came back into his mind. He flushed hot and cold, heart beating out of control and he felt dizzy. Brian couldn’t move, his breathing went mad; he felt like fainting, he couldn’t swallow properly, he felt like ice although he was burning up. Slowly, Nick turned his head to look at Brian. He was staring at their hands, Nick’s slightly covering his own. Brian felt a slight movement next to him and move his gaze towards it, locking his gaze with Nick’s.

“Nick.” He breathed out and Nick smiled, making him melt.

“Brian.” Came the sweet voice, blue eyes shining.

Both boys stayed there, transfixed in their gaze. Nick felt funny, butterflies in every cell of his body. Brian wanted to do nothing more than grab Nick, kiss him and run off with him but he couldn’t do that and besides, he couldn’t move. Their thoughts, feelings and questions were being thrown at each other through one single look.

“Guys! C’mon!” AJ’s voice broke their little world into a million shattered pieces. Nick looked away and Brian felt his heart being torn into shreds. Nick removed his fingers and forcefully shoved the door open, motioning Brian to do the same. Brian looked down at the floor as Nick hopped out of the mini bus and walked round to the other three, leaving Brian in a pool of hurt. After a few seconds of thought, Brian shot back into reality and slammed his hands as hard as he could into the door, sending it flying open and slamming into the side of the bus, rebounding back as Brian got out and hitting hard in the face. Brian fell out onto the floor, screaming in pain, his tears running into blood half way down his face. Brian rolled around on the floor with his hands holding his nose.

“What in the blazes was that?!” Howie asked, looking round. AJ shook his head and Kevin did the same. Nick looked back at the back doors of their mini bus and saw some feet rocking back and forth on the floor as if someone was rolling around. The noise sounded like some kind of blood curdling scream but it cracked. Nick could see blood and tears welled up in his eyes, he couldn’t move. He couldn’t breathe. Couldn’t think. Not moments before he had been next to Brian, looking into his eyes and now Brian was on the floor, screaming, crying, and rolling around in pain. Nick tried to walk but his legs wouldn’t cooperate so he turned and looked at Kevin.

“Dude? What’s up?” Kevin asked and placed an arm around Nick’s shoulders. Nick shook his head.

“That noise…feet…blood…crying…” Nick stammered, he was scared. Kevin held onto him tightly and rubbed his back.

“What? Calm down and tell me what you’re trying to say.” Nick looked up at the man next to him and made eye contact with him, turned and pointed at Brian’s legs, which had now stopped moving. Kevin followed Nick’s finger to where it was pointing and saw his cousin’s sneakers.

“Oh my dear god!!!” he gasped before he ran over to his now unconscious cousin. AJ followed once he realized what was going on and Howie grabbed Nick just as he passed out.

“Poor kid…not used to having to see real life accidents happen to people you love.” Howie softly spoke as he brushed Nick's golden hair away from his face, looking over at Kevin and AJ panicking over Brian's state.