- Text Size +
Part 2 - Search and Rescue

AJ saw Brian shift on the couch, then finally give up the search for rest and sit up. The blond hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and after AJ's return Kevin had suggested he try again.

"Any ideas on how to find them, Howie?" Kevin was asking.

AJ turned his attention back to the other two as Howie replied. "I don't know, Kevin. I really don't. I've tried searching for Nick's mind while I was Illusioneer, but I couldn't find him."

"What are we going to do?" AJ wondered. "We can't give him the amulets, and we can't risk your families and Nick. Zator didn't say where to meet, either."

Kevin shook his head. "Aje, I-"

A bright green light appeared in the center of the room, shaping itself into an orb. Glancing across the room, AJ saw Brian scowl and stand. "'Bout time she shows up," he growled.

The face of the young Zophacian princess appeared in the orb. "Guys, I'm afraid we've got trouble."

Brian scoffed and stepped closer. "No kidding, princess. Zator kidnapped our families."

Zanell's mouth made a small 'O' shape as she stared at him. "How did you find out?"

"He contacted us yesterday," Kevin said, ignoring Brian's eyes rolling. "Return his amulets by midnight tonight and he'll let our families go. He took Brian's wife and son, my wife, and Nick's twin brother and sister Aaron and Angel."

The princess nodded. "I know. My contact told me."

"Your contact?" Brian repeated. He scowled. "You have a contact and he hasn't tried to get them out yet?"

Kevin put his hand on Brian's shoulder. "B, relax."

Brian shoved his hand away as Zanell explained. "My contact isn't in a position to help get them out. You have to be the ones to rescue them."

With a small growl, Brian moved away from the group. Kevin followed, wanting to talk to him.

"Zanell, it's not going to be easy with just the four of us," AJ remarked.

"Four?"

Howie nodded. "When Nick saw what happened, he flipped out and went looking for them. Brian wanted to follow him, but it was getting dark and Kevin didn't want the rest of us getting separated."

"When I went to look for Nick this morning," AJ continued, "all I found was his overturned motorcycle and a piece of his costume."

Zanell's eyes widened. Immediately the green orb began to grow brighter. It grew in size until it could hold a human. The light faded and the boys found themselves face to face with the redheaded princess Zanell. Kevin led Brian back to the group.

"My father has Nick now?"

"That's the only explanation we can come up with for Nick being missing," Kevin replied.

Howie saw Brian swallow. "Zanell... please, is there any way to find them?" His eyes were sparkling with unshed tears, his voice small and despairing. "I'll take anything, no matter how foolish or dangerous it sounds."

AJ leaned close and whispered, "Boy, that is desperate."

"It's his wife and son,” Howie replied, “what else would you expect? Wouldn't you feel the same if it were you?"

Zanell met his eyes, having thought the matter through. "I believe there is a way. We can track his amulet."

Kevin's eyebrows rose. "That's possible?"

"Yes. Let me show you how it's done."

~~~

Zator stood on the side of the training room, watching his soldiers train with their new captains, his Shadow Warriors. The right corner of his mouth twitched up into a smile as he saw the woman that Ninja Man called Leighanne make a seemingly simple wave of her staff toward her partner that sent him flipped onto his back. She whirled around, ready for another opponent. Kristin was having difficulties, but she was holding her own against two different opponents. And Nick, mighty Ninja Man, surpassed all. He moved swiftly, nearly a blur as he took out soldier after soldier, whacking them with wooden swords, sharp kicks and punches. Yes, Ninja Man would be powerful against his enemies. The amulets would soon be back in the possession of their rightful owner.

"Sir," a soldier asked, "what is the purpose of keeping these three humans?"

"Simple. They are going to retrieve the amulets for me."

"But don't you already have possession of the strongest, sir?"

He nodded. "I do. However, I need possession of all six before I leave. And because of their relationship with the other humans that have my amulets, I am certain that these three will be the key to retrieving them and destroying my enemies."

"Yes, sir."

He spared a glance at the soldier. "What did you come for?"

"Scouts have detected the arrival of four humans, sir. Zanell is with them."

Zator turned back to the trainees. "Hmm, earlier than I expected," he murmured. "But not a problem." He turned back to the soldier. "Let them find their way to the prison room. When they arrive, they'll have a little surprise in store for them." He chuckled.

~~~

Zanell squeezed Kevin's arm, signaling him to stop. The others pulled up beside him. "We'll walk from here," she explained. "The signal ends at that small building up ahead." She pointed to a rusted metal shack fifty yards away. "Be careful. It won't be easy getting in."

"And I suppose your contact told you that."

She put aside Brian's sarcasm for the moment. "He did. Now everyone start looking for a door."

After a few seconds of searching, Brian muttered, "'Everyone start looking for a door.' Your contact told you it wouldn't be easy getting in, but he didn't say where the door was?"

AJ rolled his eyes. "Brian, did you consider that not knowing where the door was is what makes it difficult?"

"Will you two cut it out?" Kevin called. "I think I found it."

The others joined Kevin as he gripped what appeared to be a rusty door handle. He tugged once, twice, then groaned and activated his amulet. Now Power Lord, he gripped the door and barely pulled; it nearly broke off its hinges. Power Lord led the other five inside. The late afternoon light didn't reach very far into the room, so Brian was asked to create one of his energy spheres for light. He activated his amulet at once. His energy sphere cast an orange glow over everything.

"Let's go," Zanell said. "We don't know what's going to be up ahead, so we need to stick together as much as we can."

Brian glanced at her and bit back his immediate sarcastic reply. "Fine."

They headed down the corridor in silence. After a few minutes, they came to a two-directional split in the hallway. AJ groaned.

"Perfect. Now which way?"

"Let's split up," Power Lord suggested after a moment.

"Split up? Kevin, are you crazy?"

He shook his head. "Look, if we split up, we stand a better chance of finding Nick and our families. If one group finds our families, they can signal the others. Likewise if they spot trouble and have to call for help."

"But-"

"As crazy as it sounds," Brian interrupted, "I'm with him."

"So am I," Zanell remarked.

"Howie-"

"Aje, quit arguing," Howie said. "I'm sure you know that's really the best way, when you think about it."

AJ sighed. His instincts were screaming a warning at him to be careful. "All right. What's the split-up?"

Kevin gazed down the different hallways, deep in thought. Finally he said, "You and Brian head off to the left. Howie, Zanell and I will continue straight."

Everyone nodded, then headed off down the separate hallways. Brian led down the left hall, lighting the way. After several silent minutes, AJ decided to let Brian know what he was feeling.

"Bri, I'm getting this real funny feeling."

"Funny how?"

He swallowed. "Like... Like we're going to get more than what we came for."

Brian paused and turned to him. "Really? Well, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, man. We'll get them out of here in one piece. Piece of cake."

That's part of what I'm afraid of, AJ thought as Brian continued on. He hurried to catch up. A quick check-in with the others found nothing in their way. A minute later, Brian paused and clenched his hand, extinguishing the energy ball.

"Brian, why'd you-"

He pointed down the hall. "Look there."

AJ looked, and saw that the corridor was getting lighter. They were nearing the end. Brian began to hurry. The friends soon came upon a room they recognized from Zator's transmission the previous day. The prison room!

"We made it!" Brian cried.

They found that the prison cell had only three occupants this time. Little Baylee crawled out of Angel's arms toward the cell bars. He smiled. "Dada!"

Brian grinned, deactivated his amulet, then knelt in front of the bars and took his son's tiny hands. "Hey, bud. I'm here. Me and AJ are gonna get you three out of here." He looked up at the twins. "You guys ready to go home?"

"Are we ever!" Aaron cried.

"But how are you going to get us out?" Angel asked. "There's no key."

"That's not a problem," AJ announced. "Just stand back."

Angel took Baylee in her arms, and then she and Aaron backed away from the bars. Brian joined AJ as he drew his guns.

"You sure you can do that?"

"Just watch me," AJ replied, setting his guns to their highest. He took aim at the bars and fired at each one. Angel covered Baylee's eyes when the light grew too bright. When it faded, they saw that AJ had incinerated the bars.

"Great job," Brian remarked as the twins left the cell. "Now let's get out of here and find the others. Maybe they've found Nick, Leigh and Kris."

Aaron stared at Brian. "Nick's here?"

"It's a long story," AJ explained, "one we don't have time to tell. Right now we need you to take Baylee and head down that corridor. When you come to a two-way split, go right and you'll come to the door that leads to the outside. Wait for us there."

Aaron nodded. "Okay."

"Where are Leigh and Kris?" Brian asked.

"Some guards took them away a few hours ago," Angel replied. "At least... I think it was a few hours ago. And they haven't come back."

Brian sighed. "Well, hopefully Kevin and the others have had better luck."

"Perhaps I can help with that."

AJ and Brian whirled around to see Leighanne standing just inside of another doorway.

"Leighanne?"

"Mama!" Baylee squealed.

"Brian, why didn't you tell us about the amulets?" Leighanne demanded, disappointment clear in her voice.

Brian glanced at AJ and replied, "We were trying to keep all of you safe by not telling you. Obviously-"

"Obviously you were wrong," she spat. "The Emperor wants those amulets, Brian."

"We know!" AJ remarked. "That's why we have to get out of here."

Leighanne smiled wickedly. "Oh, but you can't, darling. You've just been surrounded."

The sound of weapons powering up turned their attention behind them. Four of Zator's soldiers were now blocking their way out. Slowly, they turned back to Leighanne. Brian jolted in surprise upon seeing his wife's eyes begin to glow a deep violet.

"Leigh?"

"Give me the amulets, Brian," she commanded.

He stared at her for a few seconds, then turned to Aaron and whispered, "When we tell you to, take Baylee and your sister and run as fast as you can. We’ll meet you outside."

Aaron nodded, and Brian turned back to Leighanne. "Sorry, Leigh. But you'll have to fight us for them."

Her eyes sparkled with excitement. "I look forward to it." She leaped.

With a shout, a soldier grabbed Angel and Baylee from behind. Angel screamed and tried to fight her way out, but the soldier's grip was tight, and she didn't want to harm Baylee. She heard Aaron yell, saw him grab the soldier's arm, trying to rescue her.

AJ fired his lasers and hit two soldiers at once. Before he could fire again, a gloved hand knocked his guns to the floor. Aaron noticed, and grabbed for one. He aimed it at the soldier fighting with AJ. His hands shook. Could he do this?

"Do it, AC!" came the shout.

Aaron took a deep breath, then pulled the trigger. The beam hit the soldier square in the head and the body crumpled to the floor.

"Good shot," AJ praised as he took his guns back. He checked them, then aimed one at the soldier struggling with Angel and Baylee. He fired once and the soldier dropped to the floor.

"Now, run!"

Aaron nodded, then grabbed Angel's hand and raced out the door.

"I need help!" Brian shouted.

AJ whirled around to see Brian pinned to the floor beneath his wife, a knife centimeters from his throat, struggling to keep that knife away from him. His eyes widened and he hurried to change the setting on his laser. He aimed, swallowed, pulled the trigger. Leighanne gave a short cry, then dropped onto Brian. Brian didn't move for several seconds, breathing heavily. Finally, he sat up.

"What'd you do?" he demanded, gazing at his wife's motionless body.

"She's fine, B. I just stunned her."

Brian nodded, then stood. "Boy, she put me through quite a workout. I had no idea she could fight like that, let alone fight." He turned to AJ. "You think the others have found anything?"

AJ shrugged. "Only one way to find out." He pulled out his communicator. "Come in, Kev."

"What's up?" Kevin responded.

"Well, we've got good news and bad news. The good news is, we found the twins, Baylee and Leighanne."

"What about Kristin and Nick?"

"That's part of the bad news. We don't know where they are. Angel said that some soldiers came and took Kris and Leigh away a few hours ago. They didn't know Nick was here."

"What's the rest of the bad news?"

AJ glanced at Brian. "Well... seems Leighanne was brainwashed or something. She and some of Zator's goons started attacking us. I had the twins take Baylee and meet us at our cycles. I had to stun Leighanne, though. She had Brian pinned underneath her with a knife at his throat."

"WHAT?"

"You heard me, man."

The duo heard Kevin's groan. "Well, we'll start heading your way, I guess. We've had no luck yet. Grab Leigh and meet us."

"On our way." AJ slipped the communicator into his pocket. "Let's go Bri."

With a nod, Brian reactivated his amulet. As Top Speed, he had a greater strength and would be able to carry his wife's unconscious body much easier. The companions headed off down the corridor and reached the split just as the others showed up.

"No luck on Kristin or Nick?" Brian asked.

"Nothing," Zanell replied. "Was Leighanne really attacking you?"

"Yeah, glowing eyes and all."

"Oh no," she groaned.

"But what about Kristin?" Kevin demanded.

"And Nick?" Howie asked.

"I don't know!" Brian snapped.

Kevin made a placating gesture. "All right, let's-"

Blaster fire struck the ceiling above them. They dodged the sparks and Kevin shouted, "GET OUT OF HERE!"

They took off down the corridor, trying to avoid the blaster fire coming their way.

"Give us the amulets!"

Howie screeched to a stop. "That sounded like Nick!"

"Don't stop!" Brian shouted.

"Why not?"

"If that sounded like Nick, then we have to keep going!" AJ remarked. "We'll explain later."

"But-"

"Don't argue, just keep going!"

They raced on. The corridor seemed to go on and on, seeming to never end. But they finally arrived at the door to the outside. The twins and Baylee were waiting by the motorcycles just as they had been instructed. Brian climbed onto his cycle and Zanell helped tie Leighanne's arms around his waist. Angel climbed on behind Howie, keeping Baylee snug between them. Aaron jumped up behind AJ, Zanell behind Kevin and they raced off.

Two hours passed before they finally pulled into the garage at headquarters. Brian cut his engine and looked around at the others. They all looked as confused and hopeless as he felt.

"So..." Kevin began, "what do we do about Kristin and Nick?"

Zanell shook her head. "I don't know. I just don't know."