- Text Size +
I really tried to get this one out for you guys. It's short I know. I'm really sorry! Still love me?

I'm trying to figure out photoshop so I can make a nifty banner type thing.

Just as a warning, it's final week(s). My last class is next Tuesday, so just hang in there, aight hooligans?!

Nothing but love!

Carpe Diem!

First Chapter Invitation Narrated by Nick

I don’t remember much of how I got there. In fact the last thing I remember was retrieving the frisbee my dad threw.

It was a good toss too. My step-mom had just broken her finger so catching it was out of the question. The throw was meant for me anyway. It sailed off into the woods, nothing but an orange blur surrounded by green.

“I got it dad, don’t you worry! I know you old people can’t move right anymore!”

It bothered me that the last thing I may ever have said to my father was an insult. Albeit a joke, it was still an insult.

But whatever, Kevin always taught me never to regret.

My dad has a good arm though, don’t get me wrong, and I had to trek halfway into the woods to find that damn thing. I couldn’t even tell you how long we had that frisbee. Leslie had stolen it from her elementary school in like the fourth grade. It was this ugly 1980's orange and it glowed in the dark. One time there was a bulldog on the front in black, but that wore off somewhere after the Millennium album.

I was thinking of something snarky to say to my father when I returned to the field and in the back of my mind was some bizarre thought of using a machete to cut through the trees.

“There you are!” I remember saying. I reached down to pick up the frisbee but something struck me in the head. I wavered for a moment before I hit the ground.

I remember rolling onto my back and touching my head where I had been hit. And I remember seeing a figure dressed in camouflage.

That’s about it.

When I woke I was in a room. A cellar really, the walls were of grey concrete and I lay on a cot, a heavy blanket was covering me. As I sat up I noticed that my feet were bare, but I still had on my jeans and the white T-shirt I put that morning. Next to the cot was a makeshift night table and there were pictures on it. Further inspection of said pictures proved almost antagonizing.

They were personal pictures. One showed me and my father with our arms around each other. We’re smiling into the sun, my dad wearing his favorite out of style Rayban sunglasses. The next was of my siblings and I. We were situated outside sitting on a blanket, I recognized it as the local park where we used to have picnics in the summer. Aaron was holding a half eaten sandwich and B.J. and I were both holding sodas. Next to that a larger picture sat in a sandalwood frame. It was one that hung in my livingroom above the leopard print couch A.J. got me as a gag gift when I first moved there. It became his seat. No one else dared to sit there but my cat. The picture was of A.J. and I. Kevin’s living room is evident behind us and we're forever trapped in that moment, goofy smiles and all. There was also a picture of Brian and I at his wedding in the gold frame that sat in my office and one of all five us I remember Andre taking while we were in Japan last year. That frame was homemade with sticky glue fingerprints and messy sequin and blue cotton balls. Baylee made it and the picture with its frame used to sit on Brian's counter top.

The last was the most disturbing. It was me in my bedroom playing my guitar and singing. I’m dressed pajama pants and a wife beater and it was obviously late at night. I didn’t know how my kidnaper got this picture. I only sang like that when no one was around. It sent chills down my back.

Adjacent to this room was a kitchen. Or a wannabe kitchen. Whichever you would prefer calling it. An old card table, an old microwave, and a sink in need of CLR. The walls were at least painted in here, though only white, it was better than ‘Ha-ha-ha, you’re-trapped-here-grey!’.

The bathroom surprised me the most. It was actually finished with blue and yellow ‘happy’ walls. Everything was new–the tub, the sink, the toilet. On the walls were pictures of the ocean.

And one of Brian in the ocean during the Incomplete video.

I turned quickly and left it behind me.

The room I had first found myself in also contained a shelf with a television set and a VCR. Though no matter how long I held the power button down, it would not turn on.

It was then I noticed the King Kullen shopping bag sitting on the floor next to the bed. Inside was a ziplock bag colored black. When I opened it I couldn’t help the sob that ran from my throat or the loss of breath I fought to get back.

Pulling the article from the bag I held it up to my face and breathed in. It still smelled like he did.

I smoothed it out on the bed and just ran my fingers over it.

It was A.J.’s blankie he lost when he was fifteen.