- Text Size +
Shannon waited on the hill over looking the battle below. She could see the earthlings and several other creatures she wasn’t sure of battling against her people. Many Angel’s had been lost that day and many days before that. She wondered if the war would ever end. She could feel the warm breeze of the evening blowing her long hair. She’d let it grow since returning to her home, and now it hung well past her mid back and was held up in a tight pony tail. She held her hand on the hilt of her silver and gold sword that she wore on her side. She ran her fingers lightly over the hilt of the sword and looked down at the battle below.
“ We’ve got injury reports milady.”
“ How many dead?”
“ Fifty dead, ten mortally wounded and the rest are doing all right.”
“ Get the wounded to the hospital, send out the second battalion and be ready they might try to take the hill.”
“ Yes milady.” The young man said bowing slightly. Shannon turned her attention back to the battle below and saw several soldiers that looked rather familiar. After a few moments she decided to take a closer look, lifting off the ground she glided above the fighting enough to see that the two soldiers she had seen were Daniel and Leo. She could hardly believe the way they fought and together as if they had done it forever. Things flowed smoothly until Shannon watched an arrow hit Daniel in the chest. Landing next to Daniel she cradled his head in her lap.
“ It’s all right.” He said looking up at her. Shannon’s eyes filled with tears as she ran her fingers over his dusty face.
“ Please I beg you don’t leave me.” Shannon said as she held him close. She could feel his breathing becoming labored.
“ I will never leave you my princess.” Daniel said. She could almost feel his life slipping from him. She looked around to see several other soldiers had arrived to take Daniel to the hospital. But they were unsure if they could get him there in time. Lifting his body into his arms, Shannon took flight and was nearly gone before anyone could stop her. She’d not lose him to this war, she could feel his body starting to relax and knew that he was slipping away from her.
“ Please hold on.” She said, it was as if her she willed him to live, her body began to glow with a blinding light. The ones watching from the ground stood amazed as the light surrounded Shannon and Daniel. It was as if they disappeared for a few moments reappearing in each others arms. Shannon held on to Daniel as his arms wrapped around her, his eyes opened and a smile spread across his face.
“ I love you.” He said kissing her deeply. Shannon looked around and could see that in that instant the fighting had stopped and all eyes were on them. She smiled slightly before raising them up again and flying towards the palace.
“ Where are we going?” He asked her.
“ To the palace, I want you checked.” She said as they landed gracefully together.
“ I am fine my love.”
“ Humor me.” She said kissing his cheek. Several maids came running.
“ Take Lord Daniel to his chambers and fetch the doctor.”
“ Yes mistress.” They answered bowing. She kissed his cheek one more time before lifting off the ground and leaving him once again. Daniel watched as Shannon flew out of sight and then turned and followed the maids back into the palace.

Shannon returned to where she had left the others and was astounded to find that the fighting had stopped at this place. She knew it wasn’t her display that had done it.
“ Why has the fighting stopped?”
“ The earthlings retreated milady.” One said bowing. Shannon turned to see several Castians bowing before her. This was rather unusual even for people of her planet. Paying it no mind she turned her attention to the generals.
“ What is the report?”
“ We’ve had few casualties milady and we’ve taken prisoners.”
“ Good. I want none of the prisoners harmed am I understood?”
“ Yes milady.” One general said bowing before he too disappeared. Leo walked up to her and placed his hand on her shoulder.
“ What was that?”
“ What was what?” She asked turning and facing him.
“ That light. Didn’t you see it?”
“ No, what light?” She asked. She seemed rather surprised that Leo had suddenly joined in with the masses, he had always seemed to be the type that strayed away from what others were thinking.
“ We really are going to need to talk. That was just weird even for you.”
“ All right. Well we can return to the palace or camp here for the night. It’s going to be dark soon.” Shannon said looking around. She could see the wounded men and the ones attending to them.
“ Make camp.” Leo announced. Several officers and soldiers nodded and started setting up the large tents. Leo was still unsure of what happened up there with Shannon and Daniel but he wanted to speak to her as soon as they could be alone.

Leo waited until he knew that Shannon was alone in her tent and went to speak to her. He tapped on the pole outside the tent and then walked inside.
“ What did you need?” Shannon asked rubbing her tired eyes.
“ I wanted to talk to you about earlier.”
“ What about earlier.”
“ Shannon you glowed. What the hell was that?”
“ It was nothing.” Shannon said walking around her small desk.
“ Nothing? Shannon what the hell is that?”
“ It’s a power I have ok. No one on Castia knows about what the royals can do. But today I showed it to everyone.” Shannon said looking at him. The confusion in her eyes and the hint of fear seemed to be apparent. She wasn’t sure how she was going to explain what she’d done and how come no one on Castia had ever heard of it.