- Text Size +
Bridget felt as if time had stopped as she watched what seemed like the doctor and nurses working in slow motion working on saving her husband. It was as if she was watching a horror movie and couldn’t turn it off. She felt arms wrap around her shoulders. She looked up and saw her father standing there. She turned and buried her face in his chest.
“ Shush now.” He said trying to sooth his daughter. He could see that the doctors were fighting a losing battle.
“ Let him go.” Her father whispered. Bridget sniffled but turned to the doctor.
“ Stop.” She whispered. The doctor barely heard her as he looked at her.
“ What?”
“ Stop, just let him go. This is what he’d want.” She said. Bridget chocked back a sob as she looked at the people in the room. The nurses stopped what they were doing as the doctor nodded. Bridget listened to the machine beep loudly telling her that her husband was gone. Walking over to the bed she could hear the faint sound of a radio, the song What’s Forever For was playing in the background. Something ironic about that song seemed to put itself right into the moment. Leaning down she kissed Matthew’s cheek.
“ I love you. And will love you forever.” She said holding his hand. “ Until we are again my love, safe journey.” With that she let his hand rest across his chest and left the room. Her sobs could be heard by the nurses down the hall. Bridget had lost her lover, friend and companion everything that was her was in that room. She wasn’t sure how she was going to go on.


It seemed that the rain was relentless as they all stood there in the cemetery. Her black cloths and tear stained face told everyone she was heart broken over the loss of her husband. The priest stood there near the front, right in front of the casket. The very same priest that had married her and Matthew. She had barely heard the service as one by one loved ones spoke of Matthew’s kindness and lust for life. That even after his diagnosis he still wanted to live life to it’s fullest right up to the day he had died. That he’d be sorely missed. Bridget turned her eyes towards Matthew’s mother and saw her sobbing about the loss of her youngest son. Bridget’s eyes drifted back to the dark cherry casket that was in front of her. AS the thunder crashed over head she heard the priest say.
“ We now lay Matthew MacLeud to rest to be at your side in heaven for always lord. Ashes to Ashes Dust to Dust.” And the priest threw some dirt on the casket. As people filed passed her telling her how sorry they were at her loss Bridget kept her eyes on the casket. She stood up on shaky legs and placed her hand on the casket. The tears flowed freely now as she ran her hand over the casket. The thunder rolled above her, her long hair now wet and stuck to the black dress she wore.
“ I will always love you.” She said, trying to hold her tears. She made a vow right there and then she’d never marry another. She’d never love another. Her heart belonged to him and would always belong to him. Her father returned and finally made her come with him out of the rain. One more look back and she let her father lead her into the large house.