- Text Size +
Miracles Happen

“Hey Greg, what do you want me to do today?” 18-year old Felicia Levine asked her manager. For two years, Felicia wasn’t able to get a job, and finally, the summer before she went to college, she got a job at the only grocery store in town. It wasn’t the best job, but it didn’t matter; she had a source of income, and her dad was finally off her case. She was originally a cashier, but after one too many bad incidents with customers, she was allowed to switch to produce clerk. She loved the new position. Her new co-workers were so crazy, and she actually had fun.

“Um...get some banana’s and put them on display,” Greg said, looking up from his computer. “I forgot, did I schedule you for tomorrow?”

Felicia shook her head. “Nope. Remember, I filled out a request off form. You did schedule me off, right?” she asked nervously. She needed to have tomorrow off. You see, there was one important thing about Felicia; she was a major Backstreet Boys fan. Possibly one of the only two in Solon. And tomorrow was the day that the Backstreet Boys would be in Cleveland for the Never Gone tour. It would be her first concert ever, and even though she had crappy seats, she needed to go.

Greg chuckled, “Oh yeah. I did schedule you off. Forgot about that.”

Felicia let out a breath. “Thanks. If you need me, you know where to find me.” She loaded up her cart with some cases of bananas and headed out to the display. It was crowded as usual. “Just great….I’ll be doing bananas all day,” Felicia mumbled. But she quickly put on a smile and headed over to the display. Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave, Felicia giggled. She loved Madagascar, and those penguins were too damn adorable. She made it to the display and started to rotate the stock, when More Than That came over the P.A. system.

“I can see that you’ve been crying…” Felicia sang softly with Brian as she continued. She loved it when any BSB song came on cause it helped her day go by faster.

“Dude….they’re playing our song!” Someone said from behind her. Felicia thought it was Nick Carter’s voice, but couldn’t really tell. And why would they be in Solon anyways…there are other Giant Eagles in Cleveland they could go to. She moved around the display to put more bananas up and saw that it was in fact, Nick Carter, along with the other four members of the group, all in sunglasses and hats. This is so not happening to me. It can't be….I’m dreaming, that must be it.

“Frack, could you be any louder?” Brian whispered as they made their way towards Felicia.

Oh god oh god oh god….focus on the bananas….focus on the bananas….Felicia thought, trying not to hyperventilate right then and there. Just then, the cantaloupe display fell down, sending cantaloupe everyway possible. “Shit,” she mumbled and ran over to clean it up.

“Here, let me help you with that,” Kevin said and gave her the cantaloupes that ended up at his feet.

“Th-thanks,” Felicia said, afraid if she said anything else she would make a complete fool of herself. She had a bad tendency to do that.

“Your welcome…. Felicia,” Kevin said after looking at her nametag.

Felicia blushed.

“Oh! Licorice!!!” Nick yelled and ran over to it.

“What? Where?” AJ asked and ran over to it as well.

“Still act like teenagers,” Kevin said, shaking his head. Felicia chuckled and went back to her display.

“Maybe you can help us. Where is the soda?” Howie asked.

“Aisle…. 9,” Felicia said, having to remember where it was.

“Thanks. It was nice meeting you,” Brian said and went to round up Nick and AJ before they cleaned out the licorice supply.

Felicia blushed again. “Nice meeting you too.” She continued rotating the stock and started to sing softly to More Than That once again.

“Think she’s a fan?” Howie whispered to Kevin as they made their way out of the produce section.

“Probably, she seemed like the only one here to recognize us.”

~*~*~

“Felicia, you are needed at register five. Felicia, to register five,” the announcement came over the P.A. system.

“Well, no more banana’s then,” Felicia said. “Jane, can you finish the banana’s for me?”

“Sure sweetie,” Jane said and took over Felicia’s cart. Every now and then, when it was really busy, the front end had former cashiers help the current ones. Felicia opened up the register, and went to the phone. “Register five is open, no wait.” Please, no bad customers.

~*~*~

For a half hour, Felicia had all types of customers. The really nice ones, the ones who were too impatient, the ones who wanted cigarettes, the ones who tried to make change at the register. Please, let me go back soon.

“We meet again,” Kevin smiled and came into the line with the other four, all holding various drinks and junk food.

Or not, Felicia smiled. “Hi there.” Just like that, I Want It That Way came over the P.A. system.

“Another one?” Nick said, shocked.

Felicia chuckled. “They always play your songs.”

“So, you do know who we are,” Howie said, winking at her.

Felicia giggled. “Yeah…” Her phone started to ring. “Just a second.” She picked up and it was Renee, one of the front end managers.

“Felicia, turn off your light, after these guys you can head back.”

“Okay, thanks,” Felicia said. She hung up the phone and turned off her light. “You guys made it just in time. Um, could you do me a favor and put this at the end of the conveyor belt?” she asked, holding up the closed sign.

“Sure,” AJ said and put it there.

“Um…I doubt you do, but do you have a Giant Eagle card?”

“Uh…is that a card with a large bird on it?” Nick asked, confused.

Felicia laughed. “No. It’s a discount card. If any of this was on sale, you would get the sales price,” she explained as she started to scan the items. Thank god I am not the fastest cashier.

Brian lightly smacked Nick on the back of the head. “Didn’t you realize the name of the store?”

Felicia giggled.

“So, you’re a fan. What’s your favorite song on the new album?” Kevin asked

“Um…. its really hard to say. But one of my favorites is Lose it All,” Felicia said. She tried to scan some of the candy, but it wouldn’t scan. “I hate it when this happens.” She tried to type in the upc code, but it didn’t work either. Instead of asking the guys how much it was, she called for a price check. More time to talk, hehe.

“That’s cool. Are you going to the concert tomorrow?” Nick asked.

“Yup. I made sure I requested off so I could get there a couple hours early. Horrible seats, but I don’t care. It’ll be my first concert ever, not just for you guys,” Felicia said. Ken, one of the other managers, came over to get the price check.

“How did you end up with horrible seats?” AJ asked, already munching on some of the food.

“I was at college orientation the day tickets went on sale. My mom doesn’t like to use credit cards, let alone online, so we weren’t able to get tickets until the next day. Best pair of tickets available were in the way back, not including general admission.”

“What college are you going to?” Brian asked.

“$2.50 Felicia!” Ken yelled.

“Thanks Ken!” Felicia yelled back and entered it into the register. “Miami University. In Ohio,” she added, having a feeling that they may get it confused, since they were from Florida.

“Wow…. that’s a tough school to get into,” Nick said. “What, were you like, Valedictorian in your class?”

Felicia blushed. “No….actually, I was like, in the top 22% of my class.”

Brian, whacked Nick again, but didn’t say anything. “That’s still really good.”

Felicia nodded. “Yeah…considering our class was extremely competitive. The girl who was ranked number one had a 5.0 g.p.a. her senior year. Only took A.P. classes, and got all A’s. I have a question. Out of all the grocery stores in Cleveland, why come to Solon?” She asked, still scanning.

AJ smiled sheepishly. “We got off at the wrong exit. We were coming from the Akron-Canton Airport, and for some reason our driver got off here. We saw the store, and we decided to make a snack pit stop.”

Felicia chuckled. What luck. She finished scanning the items and pressed the total key. “Your total is $100.87.”

Kevin scanned his credit card and Felicia pressed the E.F.T. tender key. “So, where are your seats exactly?”

Felicia groaned. “Section 7, way back on the left hand side facing the stage. Row R, second from the back. And seats 20 and 21. Close to the aisle, but I’ll be lucky if I can see anything.” Kevin pressed some buttons on the keypad, and on Felicia’s register it said that the customer canceled the transaction. “Your gonna need to swipe again.”

“Sorry bout that,” Kevin said and did it all over again.

“Maybe we can do something about your tickets,” Howie said, looking at the other guys.

“What do you mean?” Felicia asked, now waiting for the receipt to come up.

The other guys nodded and Howie spoke up again. “Tomorrow, go to the box office and tell them your name. Well get you some better tickets.”

Felicia’s cash drawer opened and closed, and the receipt came out. She looked over at them, slack jawed. “A-are you serious?” She gave Kevin the receipt, in complete awe of what was going on.

“Yup, and that is never often,” Nick joked.

Felicia giggled. “Wow…I mean thanks…I mean…. wow,” Felicia said. “I guess you’ll need my name then.” She took out a couple extra claim sheets and wrote her name on it, giving it to Howie. Kevin gave her back the signed portion of the receipt. “Um….I hope you don’t mind me asking…but could I have your autographs? They might get mad if I try to steal the receipt.”

The boys chuckled. “Sure,” Brian said.

Felicia handed out the claim sheets and watched as the boys gave her their autographs. I can’t believe this is happening to me. The boys handed back the sheets, with a little note on each including the autograph. She gently put them into her apron pocket, making sure she would put it in her locker as soon as she could. “Thank you guys so much,” she said, as she handed them their bags.

“Your welcome sweetie,” AJ said, smiling. “We’ll see you at the concert tomorrow night.” And with that, they were off.

Felicia sighed. “This is amazing….this just never happens to me. Maybe this is making up for all my bad luck,” she said to herself. She closed down the register, looking around, seeing that it really wasn’t too busy anymore. She went back to the produce backroom. “Jane, I’m taking my break now,” she yelled out.

“Okay!” Jane yelled from the cooler. Felicia went to the time clock in the back of the store, then headed up to the break room. She went to her locker and put the autographs in her purse. “Tomorrow will be so awesome.”

~*~*~

Felicia was so excited, that if she were even more excited, it just wouldn’t be possible. Her mom managed to get out at noon, after learning of yesterday’s encounter. They took the R.T.A. to Tower City, shopped a little bit, and headed over to the amplitheater. Felicia did as she was told and went to the box office. “Felicia Levine,” she said and waited for the receptionist to come back with the tickets. “Are you sure you don’t mind coming mom?”

“Not at all. I know Bubbie would of come with me if I wanted to see Davy Jones,” her mom said, reminiscing.

Felicia rolled her eyes. “Riiiight….she wouldn’t even be able to handle the Hard Rock Café!”

The receptionist came back with an envelope. “Here you go miss. Have a good time at the concert.”

“Thank you, we will,” Felicia said and opened the envelope. She saw the tickets and she was shocked. “Mom! Look! Were in section 2! Front Row!!!!!!!”

“What? Let me see,” her mom said, taking the tickets from her. “Oh my….”

Felicia giggled. Even though she was ecstatic, she knew her mom wasn’t too thrilled being that close. She looked in the envelope and saw another piece of paper. It was a note from the guys.

“Hi Felicia. We hope you like the seats. Much better than section seven, right? Well, anways, have a great time at the show. If you want, here are our e-mail addresses. Just, don’t go spreading them around to other people, okay? We think we can trust you, so don’t prove us wrong. It will be great to hear from you again.

Love, Kevin, Brian, Nick, AJ, and Howie”

“Wow…”Felicia whispered as she put the note in her purse. Her mom didn’t notice the note as they were walking to the gate. “Miracles really do happen.”