- Text Size +
Present Day- Dublin, Ireland


He’d dreamt of her and it shocked him to the core. How the hell was he supposed to move on with his love life if every time he got a girlfriend, his thoughts always came back to her? Of course it was his entire fault, but she hadn’t even tried to stop him.

Nick Carter dragged his hand through his slightly long hair. It was past due for a hair cut but with the promo tour and what not going on around him he never had time. When was he ever going to get over her? As it was it hurt every time Brent had mentioned her, he hadn’t known about them seeing one another.

When he entered his hotel conference room he knew something was up. The guys were standing around acting innocent and a chair faced the wall. Johnny was talking to whoever was sitting in the chair in hushed tones and it made Nick cautious as he entered the room.

“Late as always Carter, are you ever going to learn?” a soft voice asked.

He stood in the doorway frozen to the floor, it wasn’t the voice that had him stop, no it was the same scent that had haunted him for five years. He could hear her laugh ringing in his ears and saw her eyes sparkling.

“Don’t just stand there Nick. Aren’t you going to give your best friend’s sister a hug?” To anyone else the question would seem innocent but to his ears he heard her mocking him and underlying that a sense of hurt that confused him to no end.

He walked forward as she stood up from the chair and turned to face him. Her hair the same black-blue, her eyes had darkened to a deep emerald and she hadn’t grown at all. She still didn’t look a day older than seventeen, “What are you doing here Gwen?”

Her smile was strained. “I’m your new bodyguard. You can handle that can’t you even with our history?”

God she had to say that, didn’t she? What was he supposed to say, no? So many responses rang through his head. “Yeah I can handle that.”

“Are you positive you two can work together?” Johnny asked taking the seat Gwen had just vacated.

Gwen slipped an arm around Nick’s waist and settled her head on his upper arm, “Yeah we can. There were a few times when we worked really well together. Isn’t that right Nicky?”

Nick could only nod and hope that the others wouldn’t have picked up on the hint of their past relationship.

“That’s good because you’ll be sharing a room, since Nick is the only one that isn’t currently sharing.”

Gwen’s eyes darkened at the thought of the few times they had shared a room and even the beach. Her mind didn’t need to go very far to dig up old memories and the hurting after the break-up.

“So what is this meeting about?” Howie asked moving to look out the conference window.

“We’ve been asked to do a benefit concert and I’ve agreed to it. That is why Miss Kennedy is here, next to being your bodyguard. Miss Kennedy is our security advisor. The concert is in Kassadonio.” Johnny said.

Gwen’s arms slipped from around Nick’s waist, “What the hell was going on through your mind when you agreed to a stupid stunt like this? Kassadonio is a hot bed of terrorists. If they get a hold of this, it’ll cause a war.”

“Is this true Johnny? I mean I have Leighanne and Baylee with me. I’ll put them on a plane home if they are going to be in danger.”

Johnny shot a glare at her as she answered, “Of course they’ll be in danger. These terrorists have already blown up three churches, a children’s hospital, and the British Embassy.”

Silence rippled through the room until Johnny softly said, “The concert will go on as planned. After the concert here we have a concert in Paris and then we will be going to Kassadonio.”

“If you send them it will start a war because they will think they would be able to negotiate with the US.” Gwen said refusing to give into the urge to stomp her foot in protest but instead slammed her palms down on the table.

“Everything will be fine. Will you please show Miss Kennedy to your room?” Johnny asked calmly. “If you do your job Miss Kennedy then nothing will happen to these guys is there?”

The slap resounded through the room leaving an angry handprint on his cheek, “Want to tell me why the hell I was hired then? I doing my damn job and you aren’t listening to a goddamn thing I’m saying.”

Johnny tsked and said, “Language Kennedy. Language. Please go to your room Kennedy. Your presence is no longer needed.”

Nick took her hand and jerked on her arm, hoping that she’d turn her attention him and she didn’t disappoint him. The fire was there glowing green in her dark eyes and in truth it scared him. “Come on and don’t be stubborn.”

“Me stubborn, ha!” Her head turned to Brian. “Put them on a plane as soon as possible if you don’t you’ll find out what the men in Kassadonio do to women and children captives. It’s not pretty.”

Aj stared at the scene that was opening before him and the way she was talking was scaring the hell out of him. He knew that she’d slept with Nick but none of the others did because they didn’t listen to him babble in the early morning about her and all her virtues. Great just what they needed some lovesick bodyguard and security advisor; she wouldn’t know what was best for them at all.

Brian nodded. “I’ll consider it thank-you.”

“It’s your choice and your funeral if you don’t convince him to cancel the concert. They’ll get what they want and then kill you. It’s as simple as that.” She finished looking at Johnny with a cold stare.

“We know your concerns Miss Kennedy. Good-bye now.”

Gwen jerked her hand out of Nick’s grasp and stormed out of the room slamming the door behind her.

“It sounds as though she has had experience with this kind of think.” Kevin said as Nick calmly walked out of the room.

He caught up with her at the bank of elevators and asked, “What the hell was that all about?”

She remained silent. They didn’t know what went on in Kassadonio. They didn’t have the screams of innocent children, teenagers, and mothers ringing in there ears. They didn’t have to be afraid to go to sleep because the scenes would replay over and over in their heads.

“Nothing you need to concern yourself with Carter. In fact as you can tell I’m not in a good mood so why don’t we stop the chitchat and you just show me to the room? Then you can go back to your precious little group and idiotic manager.”

Nick nodded and stepped onto elevator behind her. “Good to know that your outlook on life hasn’t soured at all.”

“Shut up. You don’t know anything so why bother? Don’t worry about my luggage either Nick it was already brought to your room. What room number is it and then you don’t have to come with me.”

“No, I think I want to see you settle in. Brent know where you are because the last time I talked to him you were no where to be found.”

“Yeah. I called him eventually but now it doesn’t matter now does it? Look Nick let’s screw the small talk and just admit that something went seriously wrong because now I can’t even talk to you like I used to that year.”

She walked off the elevator followed closely by Nick, “Yeah and really the only way I could get you to talk was at the peak of the moment in bed.”

“I love the choice of words Nickolas. Why don’t you go to hell?”

He jerked on her arm to get her to spin around and face him, again she didn’t disappoint him. Her dark, angry eyes stared him down as she stood toe to toe with him, “Because we both know you really don’t want me to.”

“You arrogant son-of-a-bitch. You really think that highly of yourself? Well you know what that doesn’t really surprise me you and Brent always did like to think you were better than everyone else.”

Was this what he really missed? How she’d go from cool and collected to a fireball of temper? Is that what was wrong in his love life? The fact that he either dated ones with hot tempers all of the time or the ones that never really cared at all. He didn’t know all he knew was that he had missed her. She had a refreshing way of telling the blunt truth, never trying to work her way around to it.

“Good to see you finally grew up a little bit since you were fifteen. Wow your mother’s death must of really changed you.” It was cold and he knew it. In all honesty he really just wanted to see how far he could push her buttons still.

Her eyes widened and tears pricked in the corners.
He’d never talked about the death so callously; in fact he tried not mentioning at all. At least that was what it was like when they were dating, now she wasn’t so sure. So she shrugged, “I guess it did. What’s the room number?”

Nick nodded at the door behind her and struggled not think about the tears shining in her eyes. He’d kick himself later if she didn’t and she wouldn’t as long as she remained in control of her temper. “I’ll see you later Gwen.”

He handed the extra key over and turned walking calmly away but not before hearing her fist hit the metal door and her long string of curses. Today was certainly not going as planned.