- Text Size +
A Mother Tale


~Chapter Ten- One Door Opened

Her eyes stayed focused on the slow twirling ceiling fan above her as she hears a faint voice call out to her. She blinks and sees Eliez smiling down at her, her little hands clutching the cabbage patch doll tightly in her hands.

“Mommy. You ok?” Eliez whispers outs, her sapphire orbs taking in her mother’s bewildered expression that had suddenly crossed her face.

Shaking her head, Jasmine sits up and smiles: “Yeah care bear, I’m just fine. Where is your father?” She feels as if her voice echoed down the hallway, slowly standing up.

“Daddy in the back. He’s outside.” Eliez beams, happily figuring it out.

“Oh he is? Ok, I’m going to talk to him. Wanna come with me?” Jasmine whispers out as Eliez clutches her mother’s outstretched hand with her little one. Both walking calmly to the backyard, Eliez lets go of her mother’s hand to run freely among the flower yard, running past their small pool done for her only.

Jasmine spots her husband stretched out on the swinging canopy lost in thought. “Honey…you ok?” She goes over to him, touching his shoulder snapping him out of his trance.

“Oh yeah, sorry my mind wondered off a bit. But yeah, one of your friends left a message that she’s having a small lunch over and for you to bring Eliez over.” Roger yawns out, folding the newspaper in half, placing it between his underarm.

“Really? I…I don’t think that’s a good idea…”

“Honey you should go. It’ll help get your mind off things and I think you need that. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be here when you get back.” Roger softly smiles, caressing her cheek. “I want you to go out and enjoy yourself.”

“But…I can’t. I don’t feel up to it.” Jasmine whispers out, gulping down a small lump already forming in her throat.

“I don’t think its good for you stay here all day when life is all around you. Don’t you worry. I won’t go anywhere, I’m staying here until you feel better.” He gazes at her lovingly, gently patting her butt.

“I just don’t feel up to it.” She sighs out, frowning, sitting besides him watching the grass sway around her bare ankles.

“Jasmine, please I know it hurts and I think what your friend is doing is being concerned. She wants to help you out instead of being cooped up here with us thinking and feeling more and more worse. It’s just for a few hours baby, that’s it.” Roger eyes her as she drops her head nodding.

“I’m only doing this to help clear my mind for a few short hours that’s all. Its not going to make me feel better.” Jasmine scratches her arm, batting a fly away from her warm flesh.

Roger nods, smiling: “Atta girl. You go and do that girl thing you need to do.”

Jasmine nods: “It’s Janelly that called correct?”

“Yeah, I couldn’t figure out the name till you just said it. But it’s her. She seems really nice.”

Jasmine gulps, nervously raking a hand through her tangled flaxen locks: “Yeah, she works along side me at the paralegal administration.”

“Ahh even better, she knows you good then. You go get ready and you can use the convertible if you want. I’m not going anywhere at the moment.” He whispers, running a hand through her hair slowly as she smiles.

She leans down and kisses him, feeling his arms around her as he pulls her above him. Lost in the passionate kiss, she sighs happily feeling Roger’s hand brush down her back and move under her shirt, scooping a breast in his hand. Shivering slightly, she kisses his chin and goes back to his lips as she feels his hands seek shelter under her lace bra, feeling his fingers brush against her nipples as she sighs out, watching him. She feels his hands busy at work pushing up the bra to grab her breasts gently in his hands stroking it as she breaths outs smiling.

She works her hands down to his belt buckle slowly undoing it as Roger lets his hands drop to her waist, sliding it under her loose long white skirt. She breaths out as his hands trace over the side of her panties as she slowly unzips his jean. His kisses linger through out her neck as she closes her eyes and smiles eager to make love to him right then and there. But as she slides her hand through his jean opening, she can hear Eliez’s voice echo nearby.

She pauses and smirks, pulling away from him, leaving him in the canopy alone. Roger blinks and shakes his head laughing as Eliez runs over to them squealing and pointing to a caterpillar she just saw all excited.

“Maybe next time.” Roger smiles, eying his wife who simply shrugs and picks Eliez up her arms.

“Sweetie, I’m going to my friend’s house, would you like to come with me?”

Eliez beams and nods: eager to get a chance to ride in a car and go outside away from the house.

Jasmine turns around and waves to her husband as she heads inside with Eliez in her arms.
~*~

Her head tilts to the side as she licks her lips watching the handsome plumber kneel down and poke his head under the kitchen faucet. Her teal eyes take him in as she feels a smile spread on her plump lips. Her cousin had called a plumber shortly before hand to fix the sink after a few fail attempts of trying to fix it herself. Bethany had told her to call the plumber instead of making things worse. And sure enough Janelly managed to fix nothing sending her into a minor rage, which set her off with her storming off and snapping a yellow pages off the living room shelf.

Bethany was glad Janelly finally listened to her and she had no regrets the minute the man walked into the house looking amazing to her eyes. He was tall with a wonderful tan and his voice was rich, deep and carried the soft English accent that had her swirl from the moment he spoke. She loved each time he would run his hands through his dark curls and wished she were those hands if only just once to touch what they touched on him. Each word he said, whether it was a quick question or directions to the kitchen, she felt she could fall in love with the man with just his voice. Perhaps love at first sight was more real than she can imagine, though she wasn’t one to fall for a man for just his appearance, she wasn’t shallow nor was she just psychotic to believe that falling for a complete stranger was wise by any means. But as she sat there, watching his back from her as he concentrates on the damage the sink went there, she could care less what she really thought, all that matters was her eyes liked what they saw.

Brushing her dark long hair behind her shoulders, she fidgets and watches the man look over at her sending chills down her spine for a split second. ‘What’s wrong with me? Get a hold of myself.’ She tells herself silently, smiling back at the man who holds a screwdriver in his hand and tightens a loose screw on the pipes below the sink.

“Bethany! Can you help me with the bags? Hurry, Jasmine is coming over.” Janelly calls out from the living room. Grumbling quietly, she slides off the counter, glancing back at the plumber before stepping out of the room.

“What?!” Bethany scowls, “You’re making me miss that fine ass back there. Did I say how happy I am you called a plumber over, cause I am.” Bethany beams, picking up a few bags in her arms carrying them back into the kitchen. She can hear her cousin snicker at the comment, dropping a bag on the wooden table.

“Well glad to see that helped out, though you’re not helping.” Janelly huffed out, exhausted from having to run off to the store and back to gather ingredients for their late lunch.

Bethany snickers, turning her head back to the plumber who stands up, his white t-shirt soaked in sweat as he wipes a hand across his forehead breathing out: “It’s all fixed. Is that all you needed?”

Janelly nods, “Yeah thanks, I’ll go get the money.”

Bethany watches the man and giggles as he winks at her and sits down.

“You look absolutely stunning in that little number you have on.” The man says, “Red works wonders on you.”

Bethany grins, sitting across from him, dazzled with his thick English accent: “Thanks. You’re not so bad yourself.”

The man laughs softly, grinning: “Thanks. The name’s Orlando, and you…oh let me guess are an Angel sent to get me. Cause someone as beautiful as you surely couldn’t be on Earth.”

Bethany smiles at the cute attempt of his flirting and nods: “That’s really sweet Orlando. I’m Bethany. Nice to meet you.”

Orlando nods as he gets a call on his cell: “Pleasure is all mines. Oh hold on.” He smiles, stepping out of the kitchen and walks down a small deserted hallway. “Hello?”

“Good thing you picked up Orlando. I was beginning to wonder about you.” He hears his friend on the other line.

Smirking, he glances around and slides into a small game room, sliding the wooden door behind him in case he was heard: “Lucky I bothered answering. What’s going on?”

“Heh, gotta ask, how was the little vacation yesterday?” A.J. blurts out. “Cause you missed the funeral yesterday.”

Orlando sighs, settling down on a chair: “It was good. A chance to get away from everything. How did the mother deal with all of that?”

“As we knew she would. Gotta admit we’re great actors.” A.J. cackles jokily on the other end, before clearing his throat: “But seriously, the plan is working out to a tee. I haven’t seen anything more perfect than what I thought.”

“Perfect…listen I ordered the last for the apartment that’s being set up so we can start setting it up soon.” Orlando yawns, leaning back in the cushioned chair.

“Good, good. I got Brian to watch the place and he managed to clean it up good. Already got some pictures of the family and what not to make it more believable.” A.J. pops open a soda can, sliding into a stool in his kitchen.

“Alright cool. Well I’ll stop by later there and bring the stuff needed.” Orlando shifts, looking over at the closed sliding door.

“Yeah by the way our boy had a little break down.” A.J. smirks, sipping a gulp of Pepsi down before letting out a satisfied “Ahhh.”

“Really now, you don’t say? Perhaps we should stop all this and just give up. Because thinking rationally, we can get caught if we’re not careful. But we are all done right? I mean we knew the police would be curious about where that man lived and such. So after this part, we’re all through correct?”

“I’ll let you know. I gotta keep an eye out for Arianna. She’s slowly starting to crack and its effecting our boy. And you know if he goes down, we’re all screwed cause his ass will be so freaked out, he’ll pull us all in.” A.J. taps his fingers against the metal lid. “And that shit ain’t happening. I’m not getting locked up.”

“I know, I hear you. Look I have to go. Just got done fixing some woman’s sink, she has a nice relative, highly attractive if I should say so.” Orlando smiles, drumming his fingers on the edge of the sofa.

“Yeah I bet she does. You can always ask her out and bring her over to my shindig I’m doing here tonight.” A.J. beams.

Orlando snickers: “I don’t even know the woman. I’d doubt she want to spend her time with a plumber.”

“Ha! Look I’m not fruity but dude have you taken a good look at yourself lately? Cause hell if I was a chick I be down your pants already.” A.J. smirks, tossing the now empty sofa can into his trash bin.

Orlando snickers, sitting up: “Fine. I’ll ask. Though it’s so odd, she doesn’t even know me. All she knows is my name and what I look like.”

“And you don’t think that’s good enough for her to say yes? Wow, dude open your eyes, the field of women is waiting for you. Dive in.” A.J. stretches his arms overhead, clutching his cell between his ear and shoulder.

Orlando smiles, eying the small game room: “Ok ok…you have a point. I’ll ask and see. And by the way I found some great cheap furniture on rent that we can use for the apartment there.”

“Well you’re full of surprises today now aren’t you? Get to it and meet me at my place tonight at ten and bring that chick with you.”

Orlando laughs, hanging up on him as he exits the room and meets Janelly to get his payment. Once tucking the money away, he looks over at the petite woman sitting on the sofa eyeing his every move. He wasn’t much for being up front, but he loved getting what he wanted and if he could convince this estranged woman to come with him later tonight perhaps he had another calling besides plumbing. Running a hand through his thick dark hair, he smiles and eyes the woman.

“Bethany right?” He points her out as Janelly raises her eyebrows and watch the interaction.

Bethany smiles softly, nodding her head as a few tendrils of dark strands cross her cheeks: “Yeah…is everything ok?”

Deciding to use his charm, he bows before her and takes her hand: “I know this is quiet informal, but I have to attend a festivity tonight and I don’t seem to have a date. I don’t know any of my friends here who would be willing to help me out in this situation but perhaps you may have an idea.”

Bethany beams, her eyes sparkle in excitement as she quickly states: “Are you asking me out?”

Orlando shrugs, a smile forming his lips: “Well yes…that is if you don’t have anything to do tonight and I know you just met me and all but I can assure you if you feel threatened, I’m allergic to mase and are always welcomed to use that on me.” He smiles, hearing Bethany giggles out.

“Well that’s good to know cause I carry a case load of those.” Bethany smirks as he steps to the front door.

“So it is a date? I’ll come by here at nine to pick you up. And whenever you’re ready to leave my friend’s place you can.”

“Even if its like five minutes?”

Orlando smirks: “Yes…even if its only five minutes or less. After all what date would I be if I don’t listen to what the woman wants. I always believe a woman’s independence is striking and outstanding.”

Bethany smirks, rolling her eyes: “Well mister…Orlando. You got yourself date. And don’t ever use that whole independence crap on women. You already have the looks, you don’t have to worry about being so smooth, though I don’t mind it at all.”

Orlando chuckles, waving at her as he exits the door and leaves. Bethany can feel the eyes of her cousin on her as she smirks: “What? Come on, he looks so hot, how can I say no to that man?”

Janelly snickers quietly, entering the kitchen to start the lunch for Jasmine.
~*~

Howie holds a yawn in listening to a leading officer discuss the law enforcement unit being sent out for a minor robbery. He can feel his head shift side to side, his eyes craving sleep as he sits up to check his watch. It has only been ten minutes and he felt he just wasted them being at this meeting. He didn’t want to be here, in fact he wanted a chance to go over to Jasmine’s place and ask her personally if she has a photo of her son since she never got back to him on that. He taps a pen against the table as the conference was adjoined and sighing out in relief, he bolts out of the room, being the first one to exit. Smirking, he passes by some of his fellow officers as he reaches his small office, facing the west side of the building. Plopping down on his swivel chair, he sighs out annoyed that this case was getting more complex to understand. He gazes at the clear plastic zip-lock where Nick’s wallet was placed and shakes his head trying to understand what is going on.

He hears the small intercom on his desk go off as the secretary states someone is here to talk to him. Curious, he pushes the speak button and asks: “Who is it?”

“A Miss Makenzie Robbins is here to see you.”

Howie raises his eyebrows, unfamiliar with the name and asks: “Ask her for what.”

A few minutes later the intercom buzzes out as the secretary finally responds: “For the recent case of a Mister Nick Carter sir.”

Howie blinks and sits up quickly, “Let her in.”
~*~

Arianna folds the laundry quietly outside in the backyard, the early afternoon sun basking on her sun kissed skin. Humming a soft melody she heard a while back, she pulls out a colorful clip and hangs her shirt up to dry. Since last night’s emotional talk, she was feeling better about herself, at least to the point that she was able to move on from there. But the haunting images of what she took part invaded her mind at times when she least expected it. Sighing, she pins a shirt up inhaling the soft scent of nature around her.

She looks over to see Damien sitting in the back porch, tilting his chair back conversing with someone on the phone and makes her way over plopping in a beach chair besides him. She could vaguely make out the incomplete conversation as Damien hangs up and tucks his cell away.

“Guess who made his way back to town?” Damien smirks, placing his arms on the back of his head.

Arianna raises her eyebrows and sits back, figuring he would tell her shortly anyway.

“I thought the vacation would have helped him cleared his head you know, since he missed the funeral and all.” He begins, running a hand down the side of his dark jeans.

Smirking, she rolls her eyes: “He came back?”

“Orlando.”

“Oh…well lucky him. We should have bailed and left too when we had the chance.” Arianna murmurs, draping a cool white small blanket over her exposed legs.

“I would have loved to have gone to. But you know that wasn’t the case.”

“Whatever. Are we done with that all? Cause I want my normal life back? I swear if I hear the name Nick again I’ll just scream.”

“Baby…” Damien whispers out, turning to her.

“Hmmm?”

“If you had the choice, would you have still done it even if you knew I was going to go through with it?” Damien ponders, swatting a fly away as he leans back against the chair, tilting it back on its two back legs.

“Yeah…no…maybe…I don’t know. It’s hard. But if I had walked away, I wouldn’t understand what you’re dealing with so maybe it would have beneficial. Cause if I didn’t, it would just be added stress.”

“We’re already dealing with that. Ari…if I get caught…do me a favor.” He looks over to her.

Sitting up, she frowns whispering out: “What?”

“Act like you don’t know me. It’s my fault…I don’t think you should take the heat for it.”

Arianna snorts, “No way…I love you as much of a pain you are to me. I won’t leave you.”

“Maybe you should if that happens.”

Arianna blinks, bolting up from her seat: “Where are you going with this? You’re not caught, so relax. Most of the cops don’t have a clue and the one who does is keeping us safe right?”

“To be honest with you…” Damien sits up, letting the front of the chair legs bang lightly on the porch. “I know he can’t wait to get us behind bars, especially me. He keeps saying I was the reason his wife is the way she is. That…that she lost her mind because I had something to do with it. But I say it’s not my fault she went down that road. I didn’t make her crazy. Hell, if anything I tried to stay away from her. But she kept that memory of her boy in her mind…”

“Baby, you had nothing to do with it! She created a lot in her mind. She wanted to keep her son alive and used you for it. You can’t think its your fault for that.” Arianna leans over, taking his hand in hers.

“Maybe… Whatever. I can’t wait to till that bitch she’s all psycho, I’m tired of Nick and his life.” Damien smirks getting a giggle out of Arianna.

“And to think, her memories are what keeps her living in this dream world of hers. You know she thinks I dated him…” She snickers as Damien laughs, resting his head back against the chair.

“And she thinks Nick was my best friend.” Damien snickers as she crawls on his lap.

“God, she is psycho. I do feel bad she has to go through all this. I mean…to lose your child when they’re not even born has to hurt so much.” Arianna whispers out, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Eghh…We should get ready for A.J’s party. He’s throwing a crazy one and we need to get there on time. I don’t wanna miss anything.” He smiles, kissing her temple and holding her in his arms, stands up carrying her inside.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**