- Text Size +
“A Mother’s Tale”


~Chapter Twelve- Unspoken Words

“Look sir if you can just sit down, we’ll get through this quick. No reason to get hostile.” The officer states, eyeing the dirty blonde haired man grumbling in the wooden chair.

“I just have a few questions regarding the disappearance of Carter’s case and I need to make sure I tie up loose ends.” Howie explains firmly, his coffee eyes intensify taking in the man before him.

Brian shifts in the chair, feeling the boring of the officer’s glance. “I don’t know why I’m here. I told you all I know.”

“Ok…fine I just had to make sure. Now you do realize these words will be taken into the case as the truth and if you lie at any point you’re committing treason and that’s the last anyone wants to do is get screwed over in the process now.” Howie smirks, watching Brian mumble something under his breath, his small eyes glance quickly side to side before back up at him.

Howie walks past the man reaching the end of the table across from Brian: “Now I’m going to ask you one more time. And then you can go, cause I have to take this down on paper. Repeat what you just told me word for word so I don’t mess it up.”

Brian clicks the roof of his mouth with his tongue as he exhales slowly going through the answers again. Last night after the party at A.J.’s place he called it an early night and left with his wife to reach home. The last he expected was to get a message on his answering machine about contacting the police station as soon as possible. He tried to avoid the message and deleted it, assuming it would just end there. But this morning he got a rude awakening when his wife dragged him out of bed and pushed him out to the front door to greet the police officer standing before him.

Brian could have easily answered some questions right there but the fact that his wife was eavesdropping made it hard for him to not get later questioned on what is going on. So settling on going to the police station, he went over in details through his head what they will all tell the police when its time to get questioned. Sure enough, he fooled the officer who at the moment was taking down word after lying word down on paper. Of course he knew lying to the court was a big offense and he wasn’t looking to get locked behind bars but for the moment until things settle down, the story has to stick and he hoped to God that Roger will just confess or explain before they all have to feel the repercussions of this ever growing lie.

He kept thinking through, how it must be to be in Jasmine’s shoes: the mere concept of not living in reality scared him already and he honestly felt bad for the woman.

“I last talked with Nick two days before the accident. He was heading off to see his mother and make a quick stop by at his girlfriend’s place. He mentioned something about seeing his soon to be in laws. Was planning on proposing to his girlfriend later in the week.” Brian slowly sounded out each word as if it was new or some foreign language that was evolving.

Howie nods and writes down on a blank paper, “Is that all?”

“Yeah. That was the last I talked to him and I later got word about what happened to him.” Brian nervously runs a hand through his hair, his foot tapping rapidly. He needed to get out before he would explode with the pressure. He didn’t need this at the moment and he didn’t want to be caught red handed with this crime. If the police found out the truth it would not only put him in danger but the others will fall in as well. And the last he need was to lose all his friends and risk jail time.

He trains his eyes on the sheet of paper the officer used to scribbled down his statement and watches as Howie stands up, shoving the paper into an empty manila folder.

Smiling, Howie nods: “Ok you’re all done. Thanks for coming down here. You’ve helped out greatly.”

“Yeah welcome…I hope you solve this case. Cause I would go after the construction people that build the railing, cause I’m sure Nick could have been saved if he was protected more.” Brian slides off the chair shaking hands with the officer and exiting.

Rubbing his forehead, Howie gathers the notes and exits the small room back to his office.

Stepping outside, Brian pulls out his cellular phone dialing A.J.’s number. After two rings, his friend’s gruff voice answers.

“Yo this is Alex’s whorehouse, I’m the pimp what’s your flavor today Littrell?”

Brian chuckles, pressing the phone to his ear tightly: “I already have one thanks.”

“Ahh damn you, you married your whore.” A.J. teases, settling down on a sofa besides a sleeping Makenzie. Placing her head on his lap, he runs a hand through her golden hair as she soundly sleeps.

“Yeah too bad.” Brian smiles softly, walking down the block. “So I just got out.”

“How’d it go?”

“Stuck with the story as we rehearsed. The cop has no clue. But I’m thinking this is getting to be too much. How long can we pull this off without someone screwing it up?” Brian asks worriedly.

“Just a few more days, that’s all. The way I see it, once we finish the apartment up and show the cop that Nick did live there, then we should be home free. I mean we’re not real witnesses…heh…he did it all himself.” A.J. lounges back on the sofa yawning, scratching his toned bare chest.

“Yeah I know that. But whatever, I have the apartment all painted up and Orlando got the pictures so he’s gonna add the last part in. I already called furniture and we’re all set with that as well.” Brian clears his throat as he heads up the stairs to an outdoor subway station, paying its toll. “I have to let ya go for now. Tell Makenzie I said hi.”

“Yeah yeah…you punk.” A.J. smirks, hanging up, tossing the phone aside and lies back on the sofa, running a hand through the back of a sleeping Makenzie’s head on his lap.

Makenzie slowly opens her eyes, frowning as she plays the conversation over in her head again, so many pieces of odd story she just heard and she couldn’t believe her boyfriend was doing something behind her back instead of being upfront about it. Whatever the case: he was hiding it from her and she would have wait to gather more data. Maybe he will slip it out somehow or tell her the whole story so she can stop wondering what really is going on. Exhaling, she closes her emerald eyes and pretends to go back to sleeping before A.J. noticed.
~*~

She gulps nervously in the small cozy waiting room: she couldn’t believe she was here let alone bringing her daughter. What was she thinking doing this, going to this therapist? How can she spill her feelings to a complete stranger who will simply just listen and write things down. She saw all those shows when people would go and tell the doctor everything while the psychologist would just sit there nodding and writing things down. It was getting her antsy sitting around as she watches Eliez bounce around the room holding her cabbage patch as she pretends to feed the doll something to eat.

“Eli honey no, I bought that cheeseburger for you not the doll. Don’t do that, Molly is dirty.” Jasmine reprimanded her child as Eliez frowns, putting the cheeseburger back in its yellow wrapping having only taken a few small bites from it.

Jasmine slumps back watching the fancy oak desk before her on the waiting room with a frantic receptionist behind it, chattering away on the phone and complying paper work on outgoing patients. She couldn’t believe Janelly convinced her to give this a try: maybe this was a mistake coming here, what would she get out of this besides a few strange looks and ever coming questions? Sulking silently, she keeps her gaze at the ground, hearing a familiar laugh coming from besides her. Snapping her head over to her left, she spots Nick sitting besides her smiling.

“Heh, why are we here again?” Nick raises his eyebrows, watching Eliez run around the waiting room.

“Was told to give this a try. That maybe the therapist would help me out.” Jasmine whispers out, clutching her hand bag tightly in her hands.

“Nothing is wrong with you. You’re mourning cause you think I’m dead. But I’m right here. So how can any one tell you, you need help.” Nick eyes her concerned, placing a hand under her chin, cupping it and turns it to his direction. His dark blue orbs pierce into her owns as he whispers out: “I can go in there with you if you want.”

Jasmine shakes her head rapidly: “No…its better I do this alone. You can wait for me when I get out.”

Nick softly smiles, nodding: “K if that’s what you want. I’ll stay here. But don’t stay in there too long. I have a date tonight I don’t wanna miss it.” He smiles, watching Jasmine nod and grins.

“Yeah I know, I wouldn’t want you to keep Arianna waiting.”

“Heh, she goes all frantic if I don’t show up exactly on time. Ha I mean she’ll go postal if I reach her place a minute late.” Nick smirks, sitting back as Jasmine smiles eying him.

“Well can you blame her, she’s dating quite the eligible bachelor.” Jasmine grins as she feels Eliez tugging on her hand.

Blinking she frowns, her day dreams escaping her as the image of her son fades away. “What is it sweetie?” She whispers out, taking her daughter’s hand.

Eliez points to the open doorway straight down: “Mommy they say your name.” She smiles clutching her doll close to her chest. Nodding, Jasmine stands and takes her child’s hand heading into the small cozy inviting room. A large bay window stood behind a sturdy oak desk where a speaker phone, a few manila folders and a pad of paper rested on top of it. A rolling wine leather chair was fixated behind the desk occupied by a tall handsome man, with dark hair and exotic emerald eyes peering over at her. The lanky man smiles the moment she enters with Eliez. Looking over to the man’s desk, she can read the “Kevin Richardson M.D.” name plate in the center of the desk.

“Hello, you must be Mrs. Jasmine Carter correct?” The man slowly drawls out, a hint of a southern accent resounds off each word.

She nods and slowly sits down on a chaise sprawled out on the side of the room. Eliez crawls up a chair before the desk eyeing the man curiously as he looks over to her and smiles, scribbling something on paper.

“And you’re…let me a guess… a new princess from out of a town.” Kevin eyes the little girl as she giggles and shakes her head.

“Eliez.” She bubbles out, her little fingers grip the doll’s ponytail tightly.

“Oh the famous Eliez. I heard about you.” Kevin smiles, looking over at the mother. “Janelly gave me a call and thought that you might consider taking therapy in the future in case you need to discuss things. I’m doctor Richardson and to ease your worries I’m not like one of the weird docs that the tv shows tend to shadow. In fact I’m quite the opposite. I want to get to you know and find if there really is a problem you want help in. I can’t force you to talk nor can I tell if you are telling the truth, but I hope you can gain enough trust in me that you’ll be honest with me enough so I can help you. I have been successful in many people’s lives and like your friend mentioned I’m one of the most noted therapist’s this town has to offer. But enough about me, tell me about you. Why are you here?” He leans back on the edge of his desk, arms crossed on his chest as he gazes over at Jasmine.

Clearing her throat, she looks over at him and shifts facing him: “Well…I’m Jasmine, mother of two children…married to my surgeon husband Roger…umm…I work in the office administration at a law firm along with Janelly which is where I heard about you.”

“Ok…Janelly is a sweet girl, she’s the one that helps bring me patients.” He laughs softly, “Maybe I should pay her.”

“I’m sure you can think of something.” Jasmine clears her throat and smirks.

“Ah yes well I’m happily married so that’s quite the inconvenience for her then.” Kevin stands up, pulling an empty plush chair close to the chaise.

Keeping a close eye on the doctor, she shifts to the other side of the chaise away from him, looking around the room.


“You don’t have to tell me anything, this is just for you to meet and judge me, and help you decide if you chose to use this service for your well being.” Kevin explains, lounging back against the back of the chair.

“Right…well I wanted to see for myself. I was curious and the way Janelly mentioned you so much I decided to check it out myself.”

“And you ok with that? I’m not so strange now right?” He smiles, leaning close to her as she breaths out, sitting back on the chair.

“Not from what I can see yet.” Jasmine smiles watching Eliez giggle and swings her little legs back and forth on the chair behind them.

“Well I try to keep this an open discussion. Basically three times out of the week we’ll meet and you fill me in on how you feeling and what you did through the day that you think is important to you or need me to know. Some times I’ll tell you to keep track of your day through a journal in which you can bring in and discuss whatever it is you want. I’m here to help you find the problem and if there is one then to find a way to resolve it. However I can’t say we’ll find all the answers but we can get real close to that and see what can be done about it.” Kevin carefully goes through the routine with her as Eliez looks around at all the degrees and diplomas hung around the room.

Kevin smiles and sticks out his hand: “Well that’s it. Do you think I’ll see you or did I scare you off?”

Jasmine cheekily responds: “I’m interested and I need answers…so maybe this is a way to find them.”

“Yeah and who knows maybe we can find out if a problem really does exist.” Kevin states watching Jasmine pick up Eliez in her arms and head out. Smiling, he watches her exit as Eliez cast him a dark look, her hands clasp around her mother’s neck.

Kevin blinks, shaking his head and sits back in his office seat to call in the next patient.
~*~

The sounds of crickets and soft chirping of birds fill the backyard with life as he stares into a small pond off the side of the house. Kneeling down, he watches the dark pond frozen in motion with a few fishes swimming rapidly beneath it. He smiles hearing Arianna and Makenzie singing to Life-house “You and Me” both laughing and sipping on some mocha chip frappachino from glass cups a few yards away.

He hears his cell go off and not bothering to answer it, lets it ring for voicemail to pick up. He was too lost in thought and couldn’t wait to get over this whole mess once and for all. Sighing, he lies back as his cell goes off again. Grumbling, he checks to see its Brian and answers: “Hello.”

“Oh good, you picked up. I came out of questioning not that long ago and had to pass the word it went well.” Brian states happily, sitting back in the train waiting for it to reach his stop.

“Good…and the apartment is going well too right?” Damien wiggles his back on the grass trying to get comfortable on it.

“Yup. Orlando actually got to the place already but you need to get more Arianna pics…you know the ones I’m talking about.”

Damien smirks, “Yeah I know, that shouldn’t be a problem she loves the camera.” He rubs his head feeling the headache from his hangover last night make a return.

“And posing with no clothes on, we need to have a whole stash of that so when the cops show up they’ll see that.” Brian stands up, heading to the opening train doors at his stop.

Snickering, Damien adjust the cell on the crook of his neck looking back at the two woman a few yards back dancing silly to some song being blasted from the radio. “Are we purposely trying to make him a pervert or was that A.J.’s idea?”

“Take a guess Big D, heh I’ll talk to you later I gotta get home now.”

“Fine, I’ll give you a ring at around 10 or so.” Damien yawns sitting up.

“Why not 11 I’ll be set to head close to bed from work.” Brian exits the train, clutching his cell to his ear.

“Oh no can do…that’s Arianna’s time…” Damien smirks.

Brian laughs, “So call me after.”

“I would…but Arianna is a dirty, dirty girl and one hour just doesn’t seem long enough for her.” Damien grabs a small pebble tossing it into the filthy pond.

Laughing, Brian shakes his head: “That’s more than I need to know, how about we stick to ten then.”

“Haha sounds like a plan then man.” Damien smirks, hearing the girls in the back crack up.

“K see ya then. Bye.”

“Bye.” Damien hangs up, checking on his voicemail. He hears A.J. leaving a rather uneasy message.

“D holy shit…the cops called me today…thought you might have an interest…seems Roger is trying to screw us all over. Your name is on the top of the list and if Mrs. Carter wants to rat your ass out for whatever reason, dude you’re screwed! But I have this taken care of it, don’t you worry about it. Just give me a ring and I’ll tell you in detail what I got set up. I gotta go, my boss is having a cock attack cause I’m on the phone. Talk to you later man. Peace.”

Damien blinks at the message and frowns, slipping the phone back into his front jean pocket as he rushes back to the back yard and to the back door of the house.

“Hey Baby! Hold up!” Arianna’s voice rings out as she watches him enter the house. Shrugging her shoulders, she turns back around as Makenzie frowns, clearing her throat and places a fake smile on.

“Don’t worry about him. I’m sure he’s fine.” Makenzie whispers out, narrowing her eyes as her vague clues still remained too sketchy for her to figure it out yet.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**