- Text Size +
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Five- Nothing But The Truth

She looks out the kitchen window hearing the sound of a basketball pounding the cement driveway. Smiling, she watches Nick a bit younger around eighteen or so, shooting a basketball into the garage’s hoop with Damien clapping his hands. She keeps her eyes train watching the two boys playing, as they seem to break into a laugh over something. Nick turns his head over to the window and waves as Damien dribbles the ball past him shooting into the hoop behind him.

Jasmine raises her hand waving back as she jumps from a touch on her shoulder.

“Honey. Who are you waving to?” Roger asks concerned, his dark eyes taking her in.

Jasmine gulps and looks out the window again seeing her driveway empty with just her husband’s vehicle there. “No…nothing.” She stammers out, sniffing. Feeling arms wrap up around her, she leans into her husband crying silently.

“Shhh…shh…I know it hurts. You’ll…we’ll make it through this.” He whispers softly in her ear.

“Why? Why him?” Jasmine looks up at him, a frown crossing her lips.

“I’m not sure. Eli said God needed him more than we do.” Roger whispers out, a sad smile crosses over his lips.

Jasmine gulps, shaking her head as she pulls away from her husband, heading out of the kitchen. “I have to get Eliez ready for head start. I don’t want her here to dwell on her brother. Its too many things that would remind her of him.”

“Too many things remind you of him too.” Roger sighs, “If you want I can handle the funeral arrangements and you can take the day off.”

“No, its fine. I’ll go to work for today.” She whispers out, “Anything to get my mind cleared. The more I stay here the more it becomes unbearable for me.”

“I know sweetie. You get dress and ready, I’ll get Eli up and ready for head start.” Roger sniffs, watching his wife exit the kitchen. Sighing, he hears a small beep going off on his two-way messenger. Lifting the small machine up in his hands, he reads the message sent from the police station from Officer Winterland asking if they want the body cremated. Roger smiles and quickly types in cremated.

He watches as another message pops on saying ‘why’. Roger types back ‘Because she doesn’t know and seeing another man’s body at the funeral instead of her son’s won’t be a smart idea.’ Closing his two way, he tucks it in his pocket and heads up to Eliez’s room so proud of his little girl able to keep quiet on a big secret for mommy.
~*~

She screams horrified, stumbling over some rocks feeling her body crash down on the hard pebbled ground. She can feel a trail of blood drip off the side of her face trailing down to her chin as the man with a chainsaw reaches her and pulls her by the hair ready to decapitate her. She yells out help as she can hear Damien in the background yell out “Cut.”

Arianna smirks and stands up from the ground, dusting herself off as the guy with the chainsaw blew her a kiss and walks away to the refreshment stand, off the side of the filming.

Arianna wipes away the fake blood down her face as Damien stands behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. She giggles and faces him: “Well?”

“Not bad. You got some lungs on you.” He smirks, wiping away a drop of fake blood falling off her cheek.

She giggles and looks around the set: “Not bad. You know if you win the competition for the horror film just make sure you give me all the credit. Cause I make you look good.”

Damien laughs: “I’ll make sure to put in a good word about you.”

“And look at this, romance on set. And here I thought it was a horror movie.” A voice calls out approaching them.

Damien turns and smirks: “Well look who bothered showing up.”

The handsome tattooed friend tugs on his baseball cap eyeing Arianna, “And gee you gave her the lead role…wonder why? See I knew screwing the director would be good for one’s career. D man honestly if I had given it up the other day I bet I would have her role right now.” He jokes causing the couple to break into a laugh.

“Shut up A.J. What’s up man?” Damien gives his friend a pound handshake snickering.

“Dude I should be asking you what’s up? I read the newspaper this morning.” He holds out the Times newspaper waving the cover before them. “Check it out. Blondie made headlines and…” He stops, looking over at Arianna and stays quiet.

“She knows. Its fine.” Damien whispers out, snatching the newspaper out of his hands.

Arianna looks at the cover and frowns: “Did you read the article?”

A.J. snorts, “Nope. Why, when we knew what really happened. The cops are screwed up more than we are. And this newspaper got no real wind of what happened.” He rubs his goatee, plopping down on a seat.

Damien tosses the newspaper aside and shrugs: “Bunch of ass is what it is. People got no clue. The article is so fabricated its pathetic.”

A.J. grins checking out Arianna: “You one fine piece of ass my boy got there. No wonder he’s happy.” He trails his eyes over to Damien who flips him off and smirks. “So just wanted to bring you a nice fix of happy news by bringing over that paper. And I suggest you stay out of the limelight. The cops are looking for answers and you don’t want to get involved.”

“Dude we’re already involved. Besides one of the main officers in the precinct already knows too. So we’re safe.” Damien fixes himself some coffee leaning against the buffet table.

A.J. nods, smirking: “So when we gonna hang out man? You’ve been so wrapped up in that little competition and banging her, I’m beginning to feel left out. And a left out Alex is never good.”

Arianna laughs: “I would say join us but I don’t think that idea is up for option.”

A.J. grins: “Damn you kinky! D, I got the front is all I’m saying.” He jokes as Damien smirks.

“Get off my seat, I gotta get some more filming done before I head back to the office.” Damien snickers as A.J. rises off his seat. “We can hang out later tonight though I’m off by five today. Stupid ass boss got some meeting to attend too so I’ll be out earlier today.”

“Where is the love for that lady boss of yours?” A.J. grins, shoving his hands into the front of his jean pocket.

“Down my pants. Now you gonna stay quiet so I can get this part of the film in?” Damien smirks.

A.J. beams brightly, a mischievous grin covering his lips “Sure thing man.” When Damien’s back was turned, he playfully blows a kiss at Arianna’s direction.

She giggles and shakes her head as she takes her position on set, ready to begin shooting.
~*~

She sniffs, wiping away a stray tear, flipping through the pages of a manual at her office.

A young brunette sticks her head into the office and smiles: “Morning Mrs. Carter. Would you like something to drink or eat? Lunch time is about to happen, I’m thinking we can go check out this nice café a few blocks down.”

Jasmine looks over and smiles: “I think that would be a good idea, I need some air anyway.” She stands up and grabs her beige handbag, heading out of the office with the woman.

“Mrs. Carter…how are you?” The woman whispers, taking the elevator down to the lobby.

“Dealing.” She whispers out, clearing her throat. “Its hard.” She chokes out, sniffing blinking away the tears. “Eliez is dealing with it strangely. She seems many times dazed off or talking to herself. Its like she’s talking to someone that isn’t there.”

The young petite woman licks her full lips. “Do you think she seems something?”

“Janelly I don’t know what she sees. Do you know she drew a picture of Nick and but it was scribbled out.”

Janelly blinks, as she steps out of the elevator walking into the lobby with her: “She drew him? And then scribbled over it?”

“Yeah. Its like she didn’t want us to see it or something. I’m not sure what’s going on.”

Janelly frowns and eyes her: “Don’t take this the wrong way but maybe she needs some therapy. I know a nice psychologist/therapist who deals with children and adults. If you want, I can call in for you and set up a meeting appointment just so you can check him out.”

“Do you think that will help?” Jasmine whispers out, feeling the boring of eyes from her co-workers around her.

Janelly nods: “Maybe, I mean its better than having little Eliez talk to herself at times right?”

Jasmine nods, “Yeah you’re right. It’s…It’s…” Sniffing, “It can help out and she needs someone else to talk to about it.”

Eyeing her, Janelly bites her lower lip: “I hate to ask this, but the news did a special report on your son’s incident. Did you watch it last night?”

Jasmine shakes her head, “No. I don’t wanna see those things. I don’t want to have to deal with this burden anymore. It hurts too much.”

Janelly stands before her: frowning, her soft light tan eyes watch over her. “If you need someone to talk too, you can always talk to me. I mean I know I don’t have a child or anything but it’s good to have some one on one girl time. And maybe we can catch a movie or something and even Eliez can come with us. We can go to a spa or makeover or something. Anything that will help clear your mind out for a bit.”

Jasmine smiles at the offer: “I would love that. And we’ll do that later on…after…” She chokes up, “After the funeral that is.”

Janelly gulps, nodding her head: “Yeah…ummm ok.” She struggles to smile and leads the mourning mother away to a café down the block.
~*~


“HAHA that’s a bunch of bull man.” A.J. cracks up, holding his side gazing at the food plate before him.

Damien almost chokes on his drink, coughing and laughing as he settles back in the booth. “That wasn’t my story though, he told me that.”

“Yeah aight, whatever man. When Brian gets here. I’ll corner him and he’ll crack.”

“Fine and you’ll see I’m right.”

A.J. smirks watching a waiter come up to them holding a pad in his hands.

“You guys ready to order or you need more time?” The handsome tan Italian man drums his pen against the small pad of paper.

Damien shrugs and looks through the menu: “Uh fine, what the hell is this though?” He points to an Italian dish.

“Oh that’s a pastry. Cream inside. Really one of the most requested desserts around.” The waiter states proudly.

A.J. snorts, leaning close to read the waiter’s name: “Yeah Ok, listen my man…Jesse…check it. I think what my boy is trying to say is, does it taste good? Cause it can have all the cream in the world and it’ll still taste like shit.”

Damien smirks and puts the menu down eying the waiter.

Jesse leans down to the guy’s table and whispers out: “Actually…this shit is really good and if you ask me they put too much cream in it but it’s always worth a shot.” Jesse straightens up and smirks.

Damien chuckles, leaning back in the booth.

Jesse smiles: “So you guys together? Its ok I won’t say anything. I’m pretty gay friendly.”

Damien’s mouth drops as A.J. snorts: “Yeah he’s my bitch. You interested?”

Jesse laughs, “Sorry I’m happily married but congrats you two.” He writes down the desserts and smiles, “Anything else?”

Damien blinks and looks over at A.J. who had a huge smile across his face.

“Nope…oh wait if you got some wine, that be good too.” A.J. closes his menu handing it back to the waiter.

Jesse nods and writes it down as Damien hands the menu back as well. “Sir, want any dessert?”

Damien tilts his head, “You got ice cream?”

“Sure.” Jesse smirks: “Its strawberry for you then right?”

A.J. breaks into a laugh holding his ribs at the comment.

Damien snorts: “No haha. Vanilla.”

“Want any nuts on it?” Jesse beams.

Damien narrows his eyes as A.J. falls off the seat laughing hard. “Heh, I’m not gay. I got a girl.”

“Hey look whatever story you wanna use its ok. And if you’re not ready to come out of the closet that’s ok too.” Jesse whispers.

Damien abruptly stands up and grabs the waiter by his collar: “I swear to God you lucky you my friend man or I would have killed you for that.” He laughs, letting Jesse go.

Jesse laughs patting him on the back: “And to think you get so uptight about that too.”

A.J. smirks, settling back down in his chair: “That was great. Jess give us the usual and don’t screw it up.”

“Yeah yeah, just make sure I don’t come back and see you two screwing.” He teases as Damien laughs flipping him off.

A sandy haired man strolls over to them plopping down besides Damien, “Hey guys, sorry I was running late. Wifey had issues with a hair dryer.”

A.J. calms down after the laughter as Jesse heads off to get their desserts.

“Did I miss something here? You guys look like you had a good time before I was coming in.”

“A.J was messing with the waiter again.” Damien smirks shaking a juice bottle.

“Nothing new there then.” The soft spoken man states looking over at A.J.

“Oh what Brian? It was good times.” A.J. grins digging into his fries, soaking them in ketchup before putting it in his mouth.

Brian smirks and looks over: “I was checking out the newspaper today…interesting stuff on the front cover. Especially since this community is pretty boring.”

Damien eyes him and slumps back crossing his arms: “Yup.”

“I have no idea how that was pulled off but it’s a good…” Brian stops as the waiter brings back their dessert.

Jesse eyes them and using hand signals to Damien jokily saying “Call Me”

A.J. snickers eyeing Brian.

Damien shakes his head smirking as Jesse walks away to attend to other customers.

“Yeah, I’ll say. Did you get a chance to check out the highway where it occurred? Its all taped up and everything. The police are going crazy looking for answers.” A.J. munches on his fries happily finishing it off.

“Nope, I didn’t take that expressway…though I’m so curious to know who really knows what we know.” Brian sips on the water served to him.

“You know who knows. And we’re part of it.” Damien taps his foot, dropping off his amount for the bill on the table. “B you leaving the tip, I’m going broke taking you pansies out to eat.” He jokes, settling back in the booth.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**