- Text Size +
Johnny Wright was waiting patiently for them to arrive at the main house, when they walked in it was time to work.
“Hello, please have a seat.” He said gesturing to the couches placed around the room.
“I would first like to start by officially welcoming you to our home.” He extended his hand for Angie to shake. She grasped his hand in a firm handshake that oozed confidence.
“We want you to make a demo!” Wade blurted, he could stand the suspense any longer. Johnny looked at him sternly. Angie was caught off guard; she was hoping that was why she was asked to come out. But she hadn’t been sure until she walked in and saw Johnny waiting.
“Pardon me?” she sputtered.
“You heard me. You can dance just as well, if not better, than I can…” JC interrupted him.
“Then why are YOU our choreographer?” everyone laughed, except Wade who looked hurt, but continued anyway.
“You have an awesome voice and I am tired of you struggling to make ends meet. You only get paid 6.50 an hour at the grocery store and that doesn’t even cover all your expenses. Rent, car insurance, phone, etc.” He paused to breathe, “I KNOW that you could be making at least as much as the jerk that got you pregnant. You remember him right? That great guy that only pays 50 bucks a week in child support.” Wade was once again out of breath, but that was only because he was so angry, she hadn’t deserved the treatment that she got from AJ after she told him she was pregnant. He had treated her like she was a whore and that her baby could have been anyone’s. Only after DNA had proved it was his had he started sending her the pittance that he called child support. The most infuriating part was that Angie refused to take him to court, Wade knew that AJ should be paying a lot more, it was based on income after all.
Johnny put up his hand to stop Wade from commenting further.
“I would like to hear you sing.” He said. Angie thought for a second, she wasn’t sure what she should sing.
“Do you have an acoustic guitar that I could use for a bit?” she asked. Johnny nodded and then disappeared to retrieve the guitar she wanted. When he returned her handed her the instrument.
The only song that she could of was Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. So she sat down and played around with the instrument to find the notes and key that she needed and she began, she played the guitar and sang the song like her life depended on it. It was perfect and it was beautiful. When she was finished she looked up at the men sitting around her, they all had tears in their eyes.
“Wow,” Johnny cleared his throat, “That was amazing. Now we need to record something. No matter how good you sound in person, if your voice doesn’t record well then everything would be in the toilet.” He was very matter of fact about it, which she liked. He didn’t appear to be the kind of person that would beat around the bush about anything. They all decided to just have her record the same song, but this time with more instruments accompanying her voice. When she was all done she walked into the sound booth.
“What do you think?” she asked hopeful. Then seven men just looked at each other.
“Well why don’t you take Lily and wait outside. We will let you know in just a moment. We need to listen to the playback.” Johnny said. Angie accepted this and took her daughter into the other room.
“Can I go and wait with her? You probably freaked her out a little.” he said. Johnny nodded to Chris signaling him that it was ok.
“Hey Angie!” he yelled, “I’ll wait with you.” He walked over to where she and Lily were sitting. Lily patted the spot next to her and said, “Right there Kwiss.” She said. He sat down next to her and she smiled, “Tank oo Kwiss.” Her smile was disarming, not to mention contagious. Chris smiled back at her.
“You are so welcome Lily.” He replied. Then something happened that Angie thought she would never see. Lily climbed into Chris’s lap and gave him a hug. Angie thought for sure that she was going to cry; Lily had claimed Chris as hers.
“How do you do that?” Angie asked, her voice barely audible. Chris looked up to see a tear roll down Angie’s cheek.
“How do I do what?” he asked confused, until he remembered what Wade had told him earlier.
“Well, she usually hides behind me when men try to talk to her, she doesn’t even hug her father when he comes around. The only men that are allowed any where near her are my father and Wade.” She said.
“Well, maybe we should get married then.” Chris said in an effort to lighten the mood a little. It appeared to have worked though because Angie smiled.
“Maybe you’re right.” She replied.
Johnny opened the door to the studio and they all joined Angie and company on the couches.
“We love it and want to start working with you right away.” Johnny said grinning; she was going to be huge.