- Text Size +
Angie could hear Lily’s giggles mixed with Chris’s and the sound made her happy. She cautiously poked her head around the corner to look into the living room where they were playing. Chris was lying on his back on the floor, holding Lily in the air, she looked sublimely happy. She slowly edged herself around the corner so that she was standing in the living room.
“Hi Chris.” She said softly. He stopped playing with Lily and stood up.
Hi, Um…did you get the flowers that I sent??” he asked knowing full well that she had. She was so happy at that moment that she started to cry, she ran over to Chris, threw her arms around his neck and whispered in his ear.
“I love you too.” They looked into each other’s eyes and kissed for the first time.
“I was a little nervous, I wasn’t sure how you would react.” He said relieved.
“I really need to finish getting ready, he will be here in a half hour.” She said as she turned on her heal and headed to the bathroom. His eyes grew to the size of half dollars.
“What?! You are still going out with him?” he couldn’t believe it.
“My girlfriend is going on a date tonight with another man.” He said to Lily. He started after Angie.
“I can’t just leave him hanging, I am obligated now. A half an hour isn’t sufficient notice to cancel.” She said walking into the bathroom.
“Angie!” he said following her, “You are not obligated to this man, if he is a man at all he will understand.” Chris said, irritated. Surely there weren’t going to have their first fight 5 minutes into their relationship. She turned around and looked him right in the eye.
“Chris,” she caressed his cheek in an effort to comfort him, “Don’t worry. I will explain everything to him when we get to dinner, then I will pay half the check and come home to you.” She looked at him lovingly, he was convinced.
“You will still watch Lily right?” I t was a stupid question, she knew. But she just wanted to make sure.
“Of course, we are going to have so much fun that she is going to pass out from exhaustion before you get home.” He smiled.
Later on that evening, Chris, who was getting very restless, called Lance and JC. They were more than happy to come over and offer their company; Chris didn’t want to suffer alone.
When they arrived Chris was pacing with a sleeping Lily in his arms. Lance laughed and took Lily from him, then he put her in her crib. When Lance returned he noticed that JC had gotten Chris to sit down on the couch..
“What is up bro? Where is Angie?” JC asked finally.
“Oh she’s on her date!” Chris spat out. JC and Lance were shocked, they thought that the flowers would have worked for sure. Lance was really confused, Angie had confided in him about her feeling for Chris hundreds of times.
“What about the flowers? I was sure that would work.” Lance said.
“They did work, she told me that she loves me too. But she also said that she was obligated to go out with him and at least explain the situation.” Chris said, “And she isn’t back yet. Which I am a little worried about.”
JC and Lance both understood what he was talking about, and would not have expecting anything less from Angie. They sat and chatted with him for the rest of the evening, until she got home. When she got home they were all surprised. She walked through the door with nice bruise forming on her left cheek. Chris catapulted himself out of his seat and ran to her. JC and Lance just sat there, stunned.
“What in the blue fuck happened?” he yelled. He placed his hand on her chin and tilted her head up so that he could examine her face better. Then for some reason she started to laugh.
“It’s actually kind of funny. I tried to tell him as soon as we got to dinner but he wouldn’t shut up. He just kept talking about how gorgeous I looked and how great the single was, blah blah blah. The usual superficial bullshit. We made it all the way through dinner before I even got a word in edgewise. We split the bill and he walked me out the car.” She stopped and her eyes welled up with tears. “He tried to kiss me and then I was finally able to tell him. He punched me, called me a whore, and then drove off and left me there. I had to call a cab. Sorry I am so late.” She put her head on Chris’s shoulder and he held her. She never wanted to leave the comfort of his embrace, he smelled so good.
“You will never have to deal him or any other assholes like him ever again, because you have me now.” He said aloud.
“Marry me.” He whispered in her ear, she looked up, smiled and kissed him. They lived happily ever after.