- Text Size +
Brian stared at him, “Repeat that again.”

“I might have a daughter. Jesus Brian, what am I supposed to do?” He asked dragging his hand through his hair and then started chewing on his thumb nail.

“I can’t tell you what you’re supposed to do, all you can do is what your brain and heart tells you.”

His legs threatened to give out on him as he stood up, “I have to check it out. I have to Bri. She said I could bring anyone I wanted. Will you go with me?”

Brian nodded. “Of course. You do realize if this little girl is yours then you better not let the press find out.”

“Screw the press. Brian that little girl was so quiet it was scary. If she’s mind then I’ll take her.”

“Let me call the others and tell them we’ll be back here in a little bit.”

“OK.”
*********************************************************

Allison dragged the brush through the little girl’s thick, corn silk, blonde hair. Her squirming was driving her to distraction though. She looked so much like her Nicky, or at least the pictures. She had made her listen to the CDs over and over again. “Hold still you little bitch.”

There was not point, at least in little Aubrey’s eyes, to tell her that she was hurting her. Mam kept tugging on her scalp and it brought tears to her eyes. Whatever was going on that day made her wonder what was so special that she had gotten a new dress for. It was a pretty pale blue that matched her eyes, at least that’s what Mam told her.

She desperately wanted Annie, the little, stuffed kitten she carried around with her everywhere. As soon as Allison was done she went running to her bedroom to grab it. Not really wanting to go back out in the living room.

Allison watched the door patiently. She had dressed both of them with meticulousness, Aubrey in the pale blue cotton sundress and herself in a tight, low-scooped charcoal gray cropped shirt and tight black pants. She still knew what made men tick. She nearly jumped a foot in the air when the knock resounded throughout the apartment.

Slowly she made her way to the door and opened it. “Hello Nick.”

The apartment stunk of gin and drugs. Even if the kid wasn’t his, he was pretty sure he’d take her out of here. Life living with a backstreet boy had to be a hell of a lot better than living here. “Allison, this is Brian you remember him don’t you?”

“Yes of course I do. Please come in,” She was as polite as possible with her system going out of whack from not having any drugs in her system lately.

“Well where is she?” Nick asked guardedly.

“Aubrey darling come to your Mam.” She said loudly. “Aubrey I swear to god if you don’t come out here right now I’m going to hit you sound.”

At the word hit, even a three year old knew the word; she flew out of her bedroom and into the living room. She came to a stop quickly in front of her mother.

Nick was speechless and apparently so was Brian. Neither said a word as they stared at miniature female Nick. Her sober eyes locked with his and filled with tears.

“Don’t start bawling now you little brat.” She said but knew that it was coming. The tears poured from the little girl’s eyes and she couldn’t get them to stop. Annie cradled in her arms, she went to move out of her mother grasp.

Nick’s attention was drawn to her arm where a bruise was forming; actually it was forming on both arms. Allison had hit her; had hit their daughter. “Brian, will you stay here with her for a few minutes while I have a talk with Allison?”

“Yeah. You two go right ahead.” He had seen the temper in his friend’s eyes as mother and father walked out of the room into the kitchen, leaving him alone with a crying little girl.
*********************************************************
“What do you want for her?” Nick asked stoically.

“A cool million will help considerably although so would five hundred grand.” Allison knew how to play him.

Nick shook his head. “You won’t get that much out of me and whether I pay you or not I’m taking her so I guess that’s the end of that.”

Allison was stunned into silence as they left her house, never looking back.