- Text Size +
Nicola felt amazement flutter against her heart as Howie quickly saved her job. She immediately felt guilty for attacking him with such rage, but he had to respect her as his physical therapist. She found herself growing frustrated as Dr. Jacobs turned to her. Darcy held a proud smile upon her face. It was as if Darcy had planned the entire encounter in order to ruin Nicola’s job. Darcy placed her hands firmly on Howie’s shoulders, massaging lightly as she glared at her. Nicola wanted to tear out Darcy’s eyes, but Dr. Jacobs signaled for her attention.

“Are you finished with your session?” Dr. Jacobs grunted.

“Yes, Eri-ah-Dr. Jacobs. We can continue our session on Thursday,” Nicola replied politely. Dr. Jacobs waved his hand, dismissing her immediately. Nicola said nothing as she picked up her bag and offered a professional smile. She nodded briefly at the family. “See you all on Thursday.”

“Of course! Dear, let me at least walk you to your car,” Paula insisted immediately, sensing Nicola’s hurt pride. Pollyanna smiled with approval, knowing that her mother absolutely loved Nicola. Paula always spoke very highly of Nicola during family dinners. Pollyanna watched as her mother pulled Nicola’s hand into her own. She patted Nicola’s hand gently as they walked out without another word.

“Nicola has been absolutely wonderful with Howie,” Pollyanna finally announced, noting the sour glare upon Dr. Jacobs’ face as Nicola disappeared. Pollyanna narrowed her eyes and quickly searched the doctor’s face. Something didn’t seem right. There was a glitter of erotica embedded in the man’s eyes when Nicola brushed by him. Pollyanna frowned with disgust at the revelation, knowing that it would only cause trouble if he pursued the young woman.

“Wonderful, huh?” Dr. Jacobs finally asked, glancing at Howie with a sneaky smile. Howie settled back into his wheelchair and wiped his face with the towel Pollyanna had retrieved. Howie felt unnerved by the cocky smile. It was as if Dr. Jacobs was hinting at something sinful between Howie and Nicola.

“I happen to think that Nicola needs some personal people interaction skills,” Darcy huffed before Howie could answer for himself.

“Darcy!” Howie scolded, finding himself offended by Darcy’s callous statement toward Nicola.

“Mr. Dorough,” Dr. Jacobs interrupted, glancing toward Darcy with a gentle smile. “Please allow this lovely woman a chance to speak. Nicola has some kind of spark inside her that sways those of the opposite gender. Maybe this beautiful creature sees something inside Nicola’s practice that you don’t.

“Why thank you!” Darcy giggled loudly, fixing her raven curls with a playful flick. She allowed a seductive smile to creep cross her crimson lips. She seated herself beside the men, sexily crossing her bare legs toward him. She smoothed her tight pink top against her thin stomach, allowing some of her dark midriff to show. “Howie never wants to listen to what I have to say when it comes to that therapist.”

“What a shame,” Dr. Jacobs laughed. His eyes sparked with pleasure while he patted her bare thigh.

“Nicola is always giving him grief. She never accepts that Howie’s injury is quite traumatic. She pushes him to the limit and he knows that he’s not physically up for the challenge. They bicker insanely. She’s quite rude to me when I sit in to make sure that Howie is okay with the therapy. I just don’t approve of her,” Darcy explained with annoyance.

Howie felt himself pull away from reality as Dr. Jacobs released a throaty laugh. A silent wall of bitterness began to form in his mind. His eyes blurred as he watched Darcy affectionately run her fingers down the man’s chest. He couldn’t believe that Darcy reacted to Nicola in such a manner. It was as if he was seeing Darcy for the first time. However, no matter what Darcy’s snaky appearance reflected, Howie couldn’t keep his mind off of Nicola. He was frustrated with Nicola’s bitter anger, but was outraged when others belittled her. Howie was afraid he was going crazy for Nicola.

“Howie, I’m walking Dr. Jacobs to his car and taking off. Okay?” Darcy announced, shattering Howie’s silence. She folded her arm into Dr. Jacobs’s arm and pressed her body close against his. Howie wanted to reply in distaste, but Darcy quickly disappeared with the doctor. No kisses. No goodbyes.

“You okay, Baby Brother?” Pollyanna asked when the door slammed behind Darcy. She couldn’t hide the anger and disgrace in her eyes. She kneeled down beside her brother, glancing into his murky eyes. She was utterly disgusted with the doctor and Darcy.

“He didn’t even care about what I needed to say,” Howie muttered as his sister wheeled him to the living room.

“Aren’t you glad that Nicola takes care of you instead of him?” Pollyanna asked with a smile. She watched Howie pull himself easily onto the couch from his wheelchair. He was becoming strong with Nicola by his side to coach him. Nicola never doubted Howie’s ability to succeed at what she mapped out for him. Pollyanna absolutely adored the woman for all the help she gave Howie.

“Of course,” Howie murmured, sighing with regret.

“Howie, what happened today?”

“The guys did a press conference the other day. They said they see me every day and are nursing me back to health. Nicola mentioned that she was glad they still cared. I totally lost it. I couldn’t understand how the boys could totally desert me and still lie to the press for their advantage. I took my anger out on her and she cooled me off with some water,” Howie seethed.

“You yelled at her because of–”

“Don’t say their names.”

“Howie—”

“Polly, they betrayed me. I want them to eat those words. They’re just lavishing up the public support at my expense. They’ve done nothing for me! After all those promises that we were brothers and would never leave each other behind. Bullshit! They’ve already kicked me out of the group and I hope they all die!”

“Howard Dwaine!”

“I don’t care, Polly!”

“Don’t you think you should at least apologize to Nicola? She tries so hard to make you happy. If you’re nicer to her, she might just surprise you. I mean, she cares about you more than Darcy—”

“Don’t go there, Polly.”

“Howie, Darcy just flirted—”

“Polly!”

“She doesn’t love—”

“ENOUGH!” Howie screamed, ending the conversation with a deadly glare.