- Text Size +
Nicola screamed in frustration, cursing the world. She hurriedly pulled her sweatshirt over her sopping wet tank top. Howie had thrown a soda can in Nicola’s direction when she mentioned that they might try working harder the next time. Howie exploded with rage at the comment, assuming that she was insulting him. The soda had splashed upward and practically covered Nicola’s entire attire. Now, Howie was screaming profanities as she packed her things to leave. His face flushed with annoyance and anger as she ignored him.

“You are the bitchest woman I have ever known! All you do is bitch and moan about what I do. Nothing is ever good enough for you! I work my ass off for you! And what the Hell do you do? BITCH! BITCH! BITCH! BITCH! Then you leave!” Howie roared, following her closely with his wheelchair nipping at her heels. Nicola tightened her shoulders backward, knowing he was becoming stronger. She wanted to comment on his growing abilities, but couldn’t get a word in to save her life.

“Howie—”

“No! You won’t cut me off! I’m not finished! I was thinking the other night about what your former occupation could be… Then I thought you might be an ex-college-coach. You know? One of those bitches that push the athletes into the ground until they wind up in rehabilitation for the rest of their lives! I was thinking that you got fired. But why? Too much work? Nah… I think you were too much of a dyke for the college to handle. Is that why you don’t date now? Because you can’t find that special woman—”

“ENOUGH!” Nicola exclaimed, turning on her heel to glare at him. Her emerald eyes flashed with hatred and betrayal. It was as if something snapped inside her heart. She stepped forward with menace, causing Howie to wheel backward. She spoke crisply as not to be misunderstood. “Don’t you dare berate me for your emotional issues! I have gone through Hell and back to keep this job! Do you think you have the right to slam me because you have a plethora of zeros behind the dollar sign in your bank account? Because, to tell you the truth, I don’t think you do. So step the Hell off!”

Before Howie could react, Nicola slipped out the door. She was tired of defending herself. She couldn’t even imagine why Dr. Jacobs continued to allow her this position despite Darcy’s cool remarks toward her attitude. Nicola felt her heart throb with agony and intensity at the latest argument with Howie. Nicola wanted relax, but was unable as Darcy appeared in the hallway. Nicola closed her eyes, damning her luck.

“Hello, Darcy,” Nicola replied something politely.

“You just got burned,” Darcy snickered.

“Excuse me?” Nicola choked.

“Can’t you handle a real man?” Darcy cooed in a snotty manner.

“I don’t even want him!” Nicola snapped with irritation.

“What?”

Nicola stepped forward, forbidding Darcy to get the best of her. Nicola’s flushed cheeks and furious emerald eyes caused Darcy to step backward timidly. Nicola fiercely pushed Darcy into a nearby chair, towering over Darcy as she quivered in the chair. Nicola spoke with a deadly tone, “Do you want to know the truth? I don’t want him! You’ve been skitzing the entire time thinking I’m scamming on your boyfriend. Well, I don’t want him! Howie is the biggest prick that I have EVER met. And NEVER, NO WAY IN HELL, would I want to steal him away from your sorry ass.”

*~*~*

Howie stared aimlessly at the illuminated TV screen. His mind was elsewhere, traveling backward to the morning. Nicola’s miserable eyes only seemed to haunt him as the hours passed. Howie had completely ruined whatever type of relationship he was starting to build with her. Nicola’s voice echoed in his mind, sending icy chills into his heart. He had sadly heard the bitter exchange between Darcy and Nicola that morning. He didn’t know why Nicola’s denial of wanting him bothered him so. His mind ached with worry.

“You okay?” Pollyanna asked, sitting next to her brother on the couch. She could tell something was plaguing him. Usually, after physical therapy, Howie was ravenous. However, today he had barely touched his food. Pollyanna assumed that Nicola had something to do with Howie’s madness.

“Polly, do you think it’s possible to love two people?” Howie blurted without thought, still staring at the glossy TV.

“What?”

Howie groaned loudly, shifting his useless legs so he could face his sister. “I overheard Nicola say something to Darcy after our argument this morning.”

“Oh, what’d she say?”

“She told Darcy that she would never want to take me for a lover.”

“And that bothered you?” Pollyanna asked, trying not to squeal with delight. The present was starting to shift with Nicola’s heavy weight in Howie’s heart. Howie must have cared for Nicola, because he was frustrated over her obvious bitterness. Pollyanna could see the signs of Howie’s heart changes. She wasn’t blind toward her brother’s behaviors.

“That’s just the problem!” Howie groaned again. He tugged hard on his curls, hoping to alleviate the headache he was developing. Her denial of feelings for him shouldn’t have bothered him. He shouldn’t have cared what she said, but he did. Oh, Lord, did he ever care. He cared so much that her words gnawed at his heart.

“What’s the problem?”

“Her not wanting me shouldn’t bother me! Gosh, Polly, I care too much about it! What is wrong with me? I always thought that Darcy was the love of my life. I made myself believe that I could never meet anyone better than my Darcy. My heart is devoted to Darcy, but when I look at Nicola—”

“Things are always changing, Howie. I know that you must be frustrated with whatever is happening, but you need to hold that temper of yours. Mom doesn’t know what’s gotten into you lately…”

“I know,” Howie admitted with guilt.

“But, I’m not here to lecture. I suppose that I should just tell you to take it easy with whatever you’re fighting. You’re confused and that’s understandable after having such a nasty accident. Just don’t make any hasty decisions.”

“Okay, thanks, Polly.”

“No problem,” Pollyanna answered, brushing her lips against Howie’s cool forehead. “Want me to order some pizza for dinner?”

“Sounds good to me,” Howie replied dejectedly. He was thankful for Pollyanna’s advice, but she hadn’t answered his main question. He wanted to call out, but knew not to bother her. She would probably grow angry with him always seeking advice for stupid problems. He sighed, causing his sister to turn and gaze at him.

“Howie, to answer your question, I do think that you can love two people, but one of those loves will shatter to reveal the deepest adoration that one can only have for one other. You just have to give it time and let God make it known.”

“I’m afraid that the woman who might hold my deepest adoration declares me unwanted.”

“Then you have to convince her that you are to be wanted and not lost.”