- Text Size +
Chapter 21 - Charming Apologies

Nicola smiled affectionately as Lucy quickly crawled into her lap. The little girl had put on her favorite Disney Movie: The Little Mermaid. Now, Lucy folded her mother’s good arm around her little body for warmth. She snuggled against Nicola’s stomach, resting her head against Nicola’s chest. Nicola kissed the top of her daughter’s head and then began to stroke her daughter’s long locks. She loved moments like these with Lucy. She wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world. Nicola couldn’t imagine her life without Lucy, because without Lucy, Nicola would be unfulfilled and lonely.

“Guess you won’t be drinking this milkshake?” Hollie called out as she walked into the living room. She gave a sly smile, signaling to Nicola’s favorite vanilla milkshake. Hollie had spent yet another night, promising to help Nicola as much as possible.

“Shh, Aunt Hollie! The shark might hear you and eat Flounder!” Lucy exclaimed with fear. She quickly averted her eyes from the TV to offer Hollie a glare. Hollie offered a helpless shrug toward Nicola as Lucy groaned at Hollie’s ignorance. Nicola stifled a laugh as Lucy quickly went back to her movie.

“She’s seen this a million times, but acts like it’s her first,” Nicola informed Hollie. Lucy ignored her mother’s voice, now too engrossed in the movie to care otherwise.

“She’s darling, Cola-Pop,” Hollie complimented, using an old nickname from high school. She gazed upon the young child, studying her features. Most of Lucy’s beautiful features reminded Hollie of Nicola. Lucy’s actions even mirrored her mother. However, her straight, pale blonde locks and beautiful teal colored eyes reminded Hollie of Lucy’s father. “I just feel bad because she’s four. She’s so smart and…gosh! I missed her growing up. I feel horrible about missing her growth, because I was her Godmother, but after Trevor… You slowly separated from me and the rest of our friends—”

“Hollie, don’t, please,” Nicola whispered tightly. Her eyes began to tear at the mere mention of her husband’s name. She had never dealt with all the raw emotions that had surfaced during that ugly time. Nicola had merely focused on the birth of Lucy to hide her pain. She refused to relive the terror. Nicola swallowed hard, trying to forget again.

“Sorry, Cola-Pop… I thought…” Hollie let her sentence drop within the tight air. She affectionately ran her hand through her friend’s thick curls. She decided to bring up a lighter issue. “I’m so glad your mom called for me to help you. Thank God you still kept my number!”

“Yeah, I did miss you,” Nicola agreed, watching Lucy’s eyes droop with fatigue.

“Maybe I should move in then?” Hollie teased. “Your home is much better than my little apartment—”

“Don’t go that far!” Nicola laughed. Hollie smirked at Nicola’s abrupt refusal. Hollie could be completely insane at times and Nicola could never handle her full-time. Hollie immediately broke into a fit of giggles, causing Nicola to smile.

“How about I just visit often?”

“Deal,” Nicola concluded, feeling Lucy completely relax against her. Nicola smiled with triumph, glancing downward. Nicola’s little angel lay curled asleep, pressed against her side. Lucy’s soft flaxen curls framed her cherubic face, softly blowing with her gentle breaths. Lucy then sighed softly, burying deeper against Nicola. “I love when she falls asleep.”

“She’s so innocent and sweet,” Hollie cooed in agreement.

“Only when she’s asleep,” Nicola reminded. She gently slid Lucy onto the couch as the door opened. Lucy simply curled against a nearby pillow, undisturbed. Nicola stood up and stretched as Danny sauntered into the living room. He held his usual smirk of supremacy, which many girls at his school swooned over. Nicola kissed his cheek warmly. “What are you doing here?”

“Mom bought lunch for you. So, we came here to eat with you. Mom also wanted to make sure you were okay. She’s been going nuts since she found out you broke your arm. Has to make sure her baby girl is okay and all,” Danny explained quietly when he noticed Lucy was taking a nap. He then glanced to Hollie with surprise. “Hey! Long time no see!”

“Likewise, Squirt,” Hollie answered, kissing his cheek as Rosa-Lynn entered. She immediately plopped onto the couch and began to admire her newly manicured nails.

Nicola could hear her mother struggling with bags, but Rosa-Lynn did nothing. Nicola quickly rushed to her door. She offered a bright smile. “Hey, Momma!” she greeted quickly, watching her mother shuffle some bags of food. Nicola couldn’t help, so she simply followed her mother into the kitchen and brushed a kiss against her cheek. “You didn’t have to—”

“Nicola Grace Tilley, don’t start!” Marie chided playfully. She kissed her eldest daughter’s cheek. Nicola held her good arm up in defense, knowing she had been defeated. Marie began to unload the bags once she saw that she had won. “How’s the arm, Sweetie?”

“Sore,” Nicola admitted, noticing her brother sneaking upstairs to lay Lucy down in her own room. Nicola smiled, knowing that Danny was a great uncle to Lucy. He would walk through fire for the little girl.

“Well, go rest your arm then! Call your sister to help me with this food and let me get lunch around.”

“Okay, Momma,” Nicola relented, watching Hollie and Rosa-Lynn scurry into the kitchen as if they had heard the conversation.

Nicola prepared to lie down on the couch with a fresh bag of ice, but the doorbell chimed. Nicola slowly made her way to the door, wondering who it could possibly be. The only people to visit her were her family. She never had any other visitors. She hadn’t the need. When she opened the door in wonderment, she came face to face with Howie and Pollyanna. It was as if her heart had immediately leapt to her throat. Her hand began to feel clammy as held the door. She was deathly silent as she stared at both of them in shock.

“Don’t slam the door on me,” Howie immediately blurted. He looked toward her hand on the door and then to her face. His dark brown eyes stared at her with pleading. On his lap sat a small package and two bouquets of roses. She noticed the tinge of apprehension and remorse lurking within his handsome eyes, but still said nothing. She admitted silently that Howie looked fantastic that afternoon. He wore a simple gray sweater with a pair of dark denim jeans. His curls lay messily against his forehead, beckoning Nicola to run her hands against them. His sweater fit well against his toned chest and arms, reflecting his attractive nature. Nicola didn’t even notice the wheelchair as she was drawn back to his gorgeous eyes. “Will you at least hear me out before you slam the door?”

Nicola hesitated only for a moment, and then opened the door wider. She was curious to say the least. Since the accident, Howie refused to be seen in public. He wanted nothing to do with the press and outside life. Since the boys had profited from his disaster, he found no use in confronting the media. He didn’t want his weakness exposed any more. Yet, he sat now on her doorstep begging for her time. Nicola was very much aware that her family was eavesdropping, but could only focus her attention upon Howie. She finally said the only thing that occupied her mind. “This is your first time out since the accident. Why come here?”

“Because, I foolishly hurt someone very close to me. And, I need to get her back as soon as possible,” Howie replied earnestly. He glanced to see the plaster covering her right arm. Howie winced and swallowed hard, knowing that Pollyanna stood behind him. He would be strong. He refused to back down now. He cared for her. With much needed strength, Howie held up the first bouquet of pink roses to Nicola. “These are to say that I’m truly sorry. I’m well aware that I hurt you in more ways than one. I was rude and selfish; yet, you still persisted in caring for me. You were the only person, besides my family, that looked past my bitterness. You cared for me regardless of my faults. I can’t take back my bitter words nor the broken arm, but I can say that I’m sorry.”

Nicola accepted the flowers, but remained quiet.

Immediately, praying that his time was not shortened, Howie offered the second bouquet of white roses. He smiled softly, unable to hide his happiness. “These are to say thank you. The guys visited me yesterday and apologized for every wrong they ever committed. They only came to apologize because of you. Now, they won’t stop calling to check up on me. They all say that you’re a terrific person and that you’ve cared for me more than other people who have known me for longer. I will be forever grateful for you kicking them in the butt to apologize. Even after I hurt you, you still were compassionate to my needs. Thank you, Nicola.”

Nicola accepted the second batch of roses. She remained silent as she inhaled the sweet aroma the roses provided. Howie could only gaze upon her and compare her appearance to that of a Goddess. Her lustrous strawberry-golden curls fell down in ringlets against the roses, melting into the sea of color. Her cheeks were rosy as the sprinkles of freckles began to darken. He felt his heart skip beats when she finally offered a shy smile toward Nicola. The familiar energetic spark appeared in her lovely green eyes. Howie knew he had won.

“Nicola, can you forgive me?” Howie finally asked.

“With this kind of sucking up, who could say no?” Nicola responded with a joyful laugh. She bent down and placed a gentle kiss on Howie’s cheek. He felt as if he had been lit aflame by the simple contact of her lips. It seemed as if Nicola had felt the very same spark, because she quickly stiffened to a standing position. She offered a nervous laugh, looking quite worried. “You better not do this too often, Howie, or your girlfriend will be jealous,” Nicola blurted, trying to divert the attention away from the feelings.

Howie winced at the comment as Darcy came rushing back to the picture. He knew that Darcy had to be the only thing holding him back from advancing with Nicola. He felt confusion flood his system once again as he stared at his hands. Pollyanna noticed Howie stalling and came to the rescue. She smiled toward both of them. “Nicola, Darcy getting jealous would be the best thing that ever happened to him!” Pollyanna teased.

Nicola nodded with a smirk, knowing about Pollyanna’s obvious disapproval of Howie’s taste in woman. Pollyanna winked toward Howie someone made a noise behind Nicola. She turned around to see her whole family standing behind her. Nicola rolled her eyes playfully, knowing that her family was always ready for some gossip. She glanced toward Howie. “Would you like to meet my family?”

“Of course,” Howie answered, watching the four figures burst from behind Nicola. She could hardly keep her laughter as they gathered around her. Howie couldn’t help but smile at the light dancing against Nicola’s dark emerald eyes. It felt so good to hear her laugh again.

“Howie and Pollyanna, this is my mother, Marie. The boy is my little brother, Danny. The gawking girl that might be drooling is my younger sister, Rosa-Lynn. And, the other woman is my good friend, Hollie,” Nicola introduced, moving down the line of people.

“Hello,” Howie and Pollyanna replied.

“Hey,” Danny answered, feigning a smile. He was still upset that this man had hurt his sister. Yet, when Danny looked at Nicola, his mind changed. He hadn’t seen that look in her eyes for several years. Danny almost didn’t even notice it, but it was love.

“Nice to meet you,” Hollie greeted.

“Could you score me a date with Nick Carter?” Rosa-Lynn blurted, causing Howie to snort with laughter. Hollie quickly clamped her hand over Rosa-Lynn’s gaping mouth to keep her from another stupid comment. Nicola looked horrified as Rosa-Lynn continued to stare at Howie with desire and hope.

“The one’s a little star-struck, sorry,” Hollie whispered apologetically, leading Rosa-Lynn away.

“It’s okay,” Howie answered as Pollyanna stifled a laugh.

“Do you want to stay for lunch?” Marie asked, changing the subject. Howie noticed how similar Nicola and Marie looked. Howie already could tell Marie was a warm soul and quite striking for an older woman. The same spark flittered in Marie’s dark green eyes as Nicola’s eyes.

“Oh, we would love to, but our mother’s already at Howie’s house cooking,” Pollyanna answered, noticing Howie’s disappointment.

“Another time, then?” Marie asked with a smile.

“Of course,” Howie agreed, glancing to Nicola. He had really hoped to stay with her, but his mother was dying to cook him dinner. Sighing, he retrieved his final gift. “Before I forget, I want you to open this when you’re alone. It’s another gift of appreciation and I hope you enjoy it. Thank you again, Nicola.”

“Thank you, too,” she whispered.

“See you on Monday,” Howie called before Nicola shut the door. Her family quickly went back to occupying themselves, leaving her alone. Nicola felt her legs grow weak. She fell back against the wood, sliding all the way to the bottom. She stared at the box in wonder. She couldn’t get rid of the tingles that Howie always seemed to cause. Her heart was beating wildly against her ribcage, alerting her brain to the hidden emotions. Nicola sighed in delight; Howie always seemed to know how to make her melt.