- Text Size +
Chapter 26 – Crazy With Love

Howie slowly opened his eyes only to be greeted with a pair of mischievous dark eyes staring down upon him. Howie yelped and jerked in surprise, almost tumbling out of his bed. The eyes were not the loving emerald eyes he had drown in the previous night. Howie heart thumped heavily against his ribcage from the startling discovery. He reached his hand over to feel a cold spot where Nicola had once dozed. Howie sighed, settling back on his pillow. He stared at the ceiling for a moment, going over the night’s events. Everything had seemed so surreal as he kissed her sweetly tender skin. Did he dream the lovemaking?

“She left in a hurry,” AJ declared, grabbing Howie’s attention. AJ plopped down in Howie’s wheelchair without a worry in the world. He ran his fingers along the leather cushion and then down the large wheels. He decided to make up a quick excuse so Howie wouldn’t worry about her disappearance. “She told to tell you not to worry, because she had a great time and she’ll see you on Monday.”

“She was really here then?” Howie burst with happiness.

AJ let loose a wild laugh. “Did you really think that your imagination is that creative in recreating a night of amazing sex?”

“At first, yes… Wait! How did you know?”

“Dude, c’mon, you’re talking to me! Plus, we see Nicola come out of your room early in the morning on a Saturday looking quite flustered… But you don’t have PT on Saturday. So, it was a lucky guess?”

“Oh yes, a lucky guess, smart-ass. Is the whole crew out there?”

“Of course. And, they’re all eager to play a hundred questions with you. So, I figured I’d get the special details before everyone else swooped upon you. Since, I am the best friend and I deserve all the best details that you’ll shy away from with girls in the room,” AJ exclaimed with a proud smile.

“What exactly do you want to know?”

“Damn, D, I want the nitty gritty details! Like, did she plan it? Or, wait, did you plan it? That’d be even sweeter! Was being traumatized by Darcy just a plan to get Nicola over here? Because, damn, if it was, I need to steal that line!” AJ asked in one drawn breath.

“Keep your shorts on, J, it wasn’t a set plan. Darcy really tore my heart to pieces. Then, she ruined it more by saying that even if I wanted Nicola that I never stood a chance because I’m crippled. She told me I was half a man. During that entire fiasco, I could only think of Nicola. I called her and she rushed right over to help me. She told me she could prove that I was all man… God, J, it felt so right last night. I didn’t have a care in the world.”

“So it was a great night?”

“An awesome night.”

“Do you miss her?”

“Nicola, yes.”

“What about Darcy?”

“No, not really,” Howie answered with an absurd laugh.

“Then you do love Nicola?”

Howie chewed on his bottom lip thoughtfully, consulting his feelings carefully. It wasn’t something to be taken lightly. Love was serious and committing. He wouldn’t speak too hastily. Finally, he formed the right words inside his brain. “It felt so right between us last night. It was like we had been together all our lives. A simple kiss from her drove me to the brink of insanity. I feel so inspired around her, like nothing can ever go wrong in her arms. I don’t even think of myself as being broken when she’s around. I just want to make myself better so she’ll love me. God, her kisses, too. J, she’s amazing. Absolutely amazing. Just like honey - too sweet to say no.”

“So you’re saying you love her?” AJ repeated, just wanting a straightforward answer.

“Yes, if you must know,” Howie commented dryly. And as if on cue, Howie’s bedroom burst open. Howie jumped in surprise as the rest of the group stumbled through the doorway, trying not to fall over one another. They offered a nervous laughter as Howie rolled his eyes. He gave them a good-natured smile, knowing that the group would never change.

“We’re really sorry about Darcy,” Brian and Nick fumbled together.

“I’m not,” Pollyanna answered, sitting down on the side of the bed. Jamila and Raegan offered nervous glances. Howie smiled and waved for them to join. The girls shrieked with laughter, hurriedly jumping on the bed. They each delivered several friendly kisses to Howie’s cheeks.

“It’s so cute that you love her!” Raegan cooed, plopping down beside Howie. She offered a merry smile, her essence radiating about the room. Brian chuckled as he stood behind her protectively. Raegan’s bright indigo eyes burned with happiness. Howie was convinced that Raegan ultimately shared Brian’s optimistic cheeriness. “It’s like right out of romance novel! We should write this story down and make some money!”

“Thanks, Rae. I’ll think about it,” Howie laughed.

“Do you think she feels the same?” Jamila questioned, sliding into AJ’s lap on the wheelchair.

“I have no idea,” Howie faltered, offering an uneasy glance.

“I think she does,” Pollyanna interjected. She didn’t want Howie to get down on himself. His confidence was so fragile since the accident. If the worry increased too dramatically, Howie could possibly shatter his courage. “You can see it when you glance at her, Howie.”

“Do you really think so?” Howie asked with excitement.

“I know it,” Pollyanna assured.

“So, will you tell her how you feel?” Jamila pondered curiously.

“I’d like to, but I’m just not sure I have…”

“You can be smooth about it,” Raegan interjected. “Invite your family and her for dinner so she thinks it’s a thank you kind of thing. Then, have them leave you alone for a minute, and express how you feel. It’ll be really sweet.”

“You’ve read one too many romance novels, Rae,” Nick snorted, ruffling her locks.

“No, that’s actually a good idea,” Pollyanna interjected.

“Yeah, Nicky, I’m not a dumb blonde!” Raegan teased, rolling her eyes toward him.

“You really think it’d work?” Howie questioned.

“Of course.”

“But what if she doesn’t want to be with me like that? What if it was just a one time thing?” Howie pondered with worry. The idea that Nicola only wanted one night of sex made him sick to his stomach. He didn’t want to be hurt again. The same idea of putting his heart on the line scared him to death. “What if I make a fool of myself? Then it’ll be in front of the whole family!”

“You never know till you try!” Raegan encouraged.

“Another line out of the quotable quotes of cotton-candy lane,” Nick murmured.

“Nicky, bite me,” Raegan sang.

Howie rolled his eyes at the two continuing to banter. It seemed as if the girls fit right in. It was also funny knowing how he could imagine Nicola merging with the group beautifully. He gave Pollyanna an unsure look. “I’ll just think about what to do and make the decision before Monday. Okay?”

“Of course, Howie, but you have to know that she cares for you. You can see it in her eyes; I know you can. She’s just hiding her love for you,” Pollyanna encouraged.

“Not after last night,” AJ snickered, causing Howie to blush.

“You really did?” Brian asked with astonishment.

“Like you said, Bri, we don’t call him Sweet D or the Latin Lover for nothing!” AJ announced wildly while wiggling his eyebrows, causing the boys to burst into laughter.

*~*~*

“I have to be loosing my mind!” Nicola exasperated for what seemed like the hundredth time. She leaned her head against the cool tiles of her shower stall, praying for clear thinking. The icy sheets of water splashed against her nude back like a rushing waterfall, but only the sound calmed her. It didn’t matter though, because no matter how cold the water was, Nicola couldn’t shake off the lustfully hot memories of the previous night. The mere memory of Howie’s image caused her body temperature to soar above normal heights. He had some kind of spell upon her. And as much as Nicola hated to admit it – she didn’t want the feelings to disappear.

“Lucy’s still asleep. I had her up late drinking liquor and playing video games,” Hollie called, breaking into Nicola’s thoughts. She entered the bathroom, thinking nothing of it. She perched herself on the bathroom counter, positioning herself to admire her reflection. Hollie ran her fingers through her dark blonde locks, waiting for Nicola’s smart response. When Nicola gave no retort, Hollie loudly tapped on the side of the shower stall. “Did you just get home, Ms. Tilley?”

“Yes…” Nicola faltered.

“Well, let me play detective! Judging by your neat pile of dirty clothing folded on the toilet and stacked by size, no response to corrupting your child, change in your voice, and VERY icy shower that could probably make a sheet of ice over Florida’s ocean on a peak hot day… I’d deduce that you had sex with Howie last night.”

Nicola groaned loudly with defeat. “Am I that obvious, Decker?”

“Unfortunately, Cola-Pop, you are.”

“Do you think Momma will know?”

“I think you’ll be in the clear if you don’t eat your traditional-post-great-sex-double-decked-killer-brownie-topped-with-death-by-chocolate-ice-cream-hot-fudge-and-three-cherries.”

“I made one when I got home…but God, another one sounds so good!” Nicola wheezed guiltily. She slumped against the side of the stall, quickly turning off the water. It was obvious that the icy water would do no good that day.

“WOAH! You want to of those artery-killers?! This guy must have been above-the-stars-headed-for-Heaven-FANTASTIC!” Hollie whistled with excitement. She always craved the juicy romance of her best friend’s life. It was a basic Hollie instinct to pry until she inhaled every single detail. Nicola was safe nowhere until each piece of information was shared.

"That’s the problem, Decker. He’s completely worth every calorie!” Nicola sighed with defeat, snatching the towel hanging on her stall. Within a few moments, she stepped out of the stall with her lithe body wrapped tightly in her purple towel. Her soaking wet curls crinkled about her shoulders, dampening her towel. Her usual light emerald eyes were colored dark as jade. Hollie knew that Nicola was utterly troubled by the entire situation.

“You love him, don’t you?” Hollie burst with exhilaration.

“I think I do, but it’s all wrong! He was so broken last night. That bitch of a woman completely shattered whatever hopes he had left about his life. I wanted to make him feel better, but I didn’t know how. Then this impulse zipped through my body and I kissed him. It felt so right. As if we were made for each other when God crafted us from the very beginning. But, just like it feels so right, it also feels entirely wrong! My heart may have won the battle last night, but he’s my patient. I would be ruined in this town if the word got out. God, I don’t even want to think about how it might hurt him. But, then, I remember his touches and I go weak. He knew exactly how to make me melt, Decker, but it was so wrong.”

“You’re really worried about this, huh?”

“Yes, I feel sick just thinking about it.”

“But you love him?”

“I think—”

“Cola-Pop, you just had sex with this man. There’s no way you can just think about loving him. It’s simple as yes or no. You knew the answer the second you kissed him last night. Don’t be so blind and don’t act so naïve. I’m better at it. So, do you love him or not?” Hollie bluntly asked, accepting no roundabout answer. She wanted to help her friend. It had been so long since Nicola had been truly happy. And if Howie made her happy, then Nicola deserved Howie.

Nicola groaned again. “Yes, I love him.”

“Then stop letting your brain make the decisions. Just concentrate on how he makes you feel inside and let your heart lead, Nic. You deserve to be happy.”

Nicola stared at her friend intensely with wonder. She wanted to believe with all her heart that Hollie was right, but her brain refused. No matter how she looked at the situation, she just couldn’t accept that it was the right thing for both Howie and her. Nicola sighed with defeat, making her ultimate decision. “No, I can’t. When PT comes on Monday, I’m telling him that I’m his physical therapst and nothing more.”