- Text Size +
Author's Note: I know I don't do this much, but I wanted to announce that Alex and I are doing a FanFiction Awards for this month. Please, go nominate your own fictions and your friends' fictions, because we got some great talent that needs exploited. Go to: http://www.geocities.com/sbfrffa/index.html Thanks!!!

Chapter 28 – Waiting for Love

Howie found himself a wreck on Wednesday as the minutes slowly passed. Howie began to realize that he felt as if he were waiting for his execution. Each minute emitted more agony than the previous as his thoughts began to get the best of him. He had first assumed that Nicola would accept the invitation after a day of pondering, but his mind had tricked him. Nicola had yet to reach him since his invitation. He began to fear that he had read her wrong when it came to the emotions building inside her. Maybe she had only cared for him as a friend and didn’t want him to be embarrassed. The more he concentrated on the possibility, the crazier he became. It was as if he had entered high school again. Howie feared that if he waited much longer, his heart might burst.

“D, you need to get in control of yourself,” AJ announced as he sat down on the edge of the Jacuzzi. AJ had spent the day working out with Howie to build his strength, now Howie relaxed in a therapeutic Jacuzzi for his body. AJ thought Howie looked anything but relaxed in the Jacuzzi. AJ could read the signs as if it were an elementary book. Howie was stressing about Nicola in the worst way.

“Aje, she hasn’t called me yet. Maybe I read the signs wrong. It’s been awhile since I had to read those stupid female signs,” Howie complained, slamming his fists into the bubbling water. The water splashed outward, soaking AJ. He offered a sour glare to Howie as he slipped into the steamy water. Howie said nothing – he was just tired of waiting.

“How the Hell could you read the signs wrong? You had SEX with the woman!” AJ groaned for what seemed like the millionth time.

“But still—”

“Howie, who initiated the sex?”

“She did—”

“Your Honor, I REST MY CASE!”

“Stop messing around,” Howie growled, not wanting AJ to take this lightly. His heart was laid upon the thinnest line. One foul move and his heart would be crushed. Howie knitted his brows together in confusion, still pondering his fate. He was truly terrified about her response. He finally turned to AJ, meeting his friend’s smirk with a serious stare. “What if she doesn’t want me?”

“Why wouldn’t she want you?”

“Because I’m only half of a man. My career is over. I can’t provide for anyone like I used to. I can’t go for romantic walks on the beach. I can’t take her to the beach to go swimming. I can’t take her to an amusement park. It’ll be a pain to take her to the movies. I can’t take her dancing. And what if I can’t have kids? What if we become serious? Then I won’t be able to do the traditional husband and wife dancing. With me, she’s going to miss out on all the fun of a normal relationship.”

“Howie, cut the bullshit,” AJ replied bluntly.

“Huh?”

“I said to cut the bullshit. Don’t you listen to what anyone has to say besides that Psycho-Wench Darcy?”

“I—”

“Man, you’re a great guy and you have a heart of gold. You have a lot more going for you than all of us guys put together. Any woman would be lucky to have you. And, damn, your career isn’t over. You still have awesome abilities to sing and write music. Plus that song you showed me the other day – holy shit – you’re on fire, D! Plus, your Occupational Therapist is hooking you up with tons of gadgets to normalize your life. Hell, you can even drive those sweet cars of yours now. So, cut the shit about not being worthy of Nicola. Alright?”

Howie actually gave a small smile. “You should write a self-help book.”

“Hell no, I swear too much,” AJ snorted, dismissing the idea quickly.

“You mean Jamila hasn’t whipped that swearing out of your system yet?”

“What are you saying?” AJ accused crossly.

“I’m saying you’re whipped,” Howie replied, shifting the attention off himself.

“I’m not whipped.”

“Yeah, whatever you say, J.”

“D, I’d watch your mouth, because when Nicola’s your chick, you’ll have Hell to pay in the whipping department.”

*~*~*

Nicola sat herself on the edge of Lucy’s twin-sized bed covered with My Little Pony sheets. It was nine in the evening and Lucy was tired from playing with her mother. Nicola had taken some time away from work to take Lucy swimming. The child absolutely adored the water, just like her mother. Nicola leaned over her yawning child and kissed her cheek gently. Lucy smiled, leaning up to hug her mother tightly. Nicola laughed; pushing Lucy down onto the bed once more and helping her snuggle beneath her covers. Nicola handed Lucy her favorite her teddy bear and brushed away some stray honey locks that had fallen in Lucy’s sapphire eyes. “Night, Lovebug.”

“Night-night, Mommy,” Lucy called dreamily, closing her eyes. Nicola kissed her daughter once more and rose from the bed. She walked to the door and clicked off the lights. Nicola was easing the door shut when Lucy called out. “Mommy?”

“What, Honey?”

“Are you going to date a tasty beefcake with buns that were rolled tighter than a sticky bun?”

Nicola stifled a laugh. “Who taught you that?”

“Aunt Hollie.”

“Oh, well tell your Aunt Hollie that she’s not supposed to teach you those words till your fifty!”

Lucy’s eyes drooped once more. “O-tay, Mommy.”

“Love you, Lucy.”

“Love you, Mommy,” Lucy answered meekly, forgetting the previous conversation.

Nicola closed her daughter’s bedroom door and hurried downstairs as if there were fireballs beneath her feet. Marie sat on the couch, slowly sipping her tea. Nicola had asked her mother over to discuss Howie’s proposal, but Nicola had first wanted Lucy in bed. She wanted complete privacy when this issue was reviewed. Nicola had been completely baffled for the week, refusing to deal with it till that very night. Somehow, Nicola let her mind wander again to her daughter’s words. Her emerald eyes became dark as jade as she plopped onto her couch, muttering, “Hollie’s a dead girl.”

“Why?” Marie laughed at the sudden change in her daughter’s demeanor.

“Hollie taught Lucy the language of hotness.”

“Excuse me?”

“Lucy asked me if I would be dating a tasty beefcake with buns that were rolled tighter than a sticky bun.”

“Oh my!”

“Hollie is completely crazy,” Nicola sighed, leaning back on her couch. She took a deep gulp of soda and studied the label. She didn’t know how to start the conversation that she wanted. She feared speaking of Howie, but she needed council. She needed her mother’s guidance in the situation. Nicola took a deep breath, finally pulling herself into an upright position. “Momma, I didn’t call you over to talk about how I’m going to murder Hollie.”

“So I assumed.”

“Momma,” Nicola groaned, tugging at her strawberry blonde curls. She needed straightforward answers, not jokes. She felt as if she were walking a tight-rope that was slowly unwinding. One fatal mistake with Howie would cause the rope to snap and her to pummel to the ground. Her heart pleaded for her to go to Howie and confess her feelings, but her brain blocked her strength to do so. “Look, I’m not going to play stupid anymore. What am I going to do about Howie?”

“That’s what you have to tell me.”

“What do you think of him?”

“From what you tell me and my brief encounter?”
“Yes, Momma.”

“I find him to be quite suitable for what you need. He seems to be very loving and kind. His eyes, however, show his sorrow. I think he needs to feel love again. He needs stability in his life. He needs someone who will take care of him. And, he’s obviously willing to risk a lot to have love again,” Marie reflected softly.

“And what about me?”

“I think that you’re the one he needs to feel complete. He bent over backwards to apologize to you. He definitely feels deeply for you.”

“What about my job? Is it fair for me to date a patient?”

“Nicola, I can’t decide that for you. But I can tell you that you’ve grown to love him. And, you deserve to love again. Trevor can’t have a stranglehold on your emotions forever. You deserve to have someone to care for you. Trevor would definitely want that for you and you know that Howie isn’t going to turn into Trevor. You don’t have to be afraid. And, the biggest issue is that Lucy deserves a Daddy. I know that Danny does a lot for her, but he’s not enough. An uncle can only do so much.”

“I know.”

“You have all the facts together. Sweetie, you just need to take the leap.”