- Text Size +
A/N: http://www.geocities.com/sbfrffa/ FAN FICTION AWARDS - Can't say that enough!

Chapter 30 – New Daddy

Nicola was a wreck as she waited for Lucy to step off her school bus. She had called her mother with the good news as soon as she arrived home, but that conversation kept her mind occupied for a few minutes. Now, Nicola focused her attention on her daughter. It was the child’s last day of Kindergarten, which meant that a breathless summer would begin in a few minutes. Lucy’s demands would explode in Nicola’s ears with wanting to swim, play, watch movies, go on trips, and dozens of other activities. However, Nicola wasn’t overly worried, knowing that Howie would be on her side to help with Lucy. She had spent most of the day at Howie’s home. They had attempted a few hours of physical therapy, but then it turned quickly into a fevered lovemaking. Now, Nicola was waiting for Lucy while remembering her lovely afternoon while silently making a schedule for herself and her child.

“Mommy! I see your undies!” Lucy giggled as she entered the home, breaking Nicola’s thoughts. Nicola glanced down in surprise, realizing that she only wore a tank top and her rubber-ducky-printed bikini briefs. Lucy couldn’t control her giggles as she jumped into her mother’s arms. “I like the rubber-ducky ones, Mommy!”

“Me, too. Good think you didn’t bring home a boyfriend, though! Do you think he would have been impressed by my cute undies?”

“Mommy, eww! Boy’s have yucky germs!”

“Oh, forgive me! I forgot your view on the boys of the Kindergarten Playgirl Yearbook,” Nicola gasped, chasing Lucy up the stairs into the master bedroom. Lucy squealed in surprise, trying to run faster, but her mother was fast. Nicola grabbed Lucy just as the entered, plopping the child down on the king-sized bed. She ruffled her child’s curls before sauntering to her closet. “How does it feel to have a big-girl summer without school, Lucy?”

“Great! Now we can have big-girl movie nights every day!”

“Yes, we can,” Nicola agreed.

“And have Uncle Danny over to play in the pool?”

“Yes, m’am.”

“And Aunt Hollie?”

“Yes.”

“And Aunt Rosie?”

“Yes.”

“And Grammy?”

“Anybody you want, Lucy,” Nicola chuckled, pushing garments around in her closet. She rolled her eyes for a moment when she admired the shortness of her wardrobe, picking and choosing which outfit might be physically possible. Usually, she wasn’t fussy about her clothing, but she wanted to look perfect for Howie’s family. She wasn’t being introduced as the physical therapist this time. She was being reintroduced as Howie’s girlfriend and that called for a drastic change in appearance. She felt as if she were back in high school again.

“Can we go out for dinner, Mommy?” Lucy asked, oblivious to her mother’s current dilemma.

“Actually, we are, Sweetie.”

“Where? Pizza Hut?”

“No. At Mommy’s friend’s home.”

“The house of the beefcake that’s going to be my new Daddy?” Lucy pondered with excitement, bouncing on the bed. Her teal eyes glittered in absolute glee. She hadn’t known her father and had always asked Nicola about him. She had never really known any true father figure and the thought of having one was like receiving a Christmas gift.

“Who said that he was going to be — Did Aunt Holly teach you that?”

“Yes, she said I’d be getting a new Daddy!” Lucy replied happily.

“Aunt Hollie’s a dead woman,” Nicola declared in a melodious tone. She picked up a soft blue shirt that had one strap to wrap around her left shoulder. She grinned in delight as she picked up a pair of black shorts. Nicola decided that it was the choice outfit, somewhat casual without looking like a complete bum. Nicola sat down on the bed, beside her daughter, immediately loosening the sling. “We’re going to eat with Mr. Dorough, Mommy’s friend.”

“Is he your beefcake?” Lucy questioned curiously, wrapping her arms around her mother’s neck.

“I prefer the term beefie.”

“Oh…is he your boyfriend?”

“Yes,” Nicola answered, knowing that she could never lie to her child.

“Do you kiss him?” Lucy asked, scrunching her nose in distaste as Nicola had always done.

“Yes, I do.”

“Ewww!” Lucy squealed.

“I know!” Nicola laughed, matching her daughter’s disgusted look.

“Will I get boy germs if I still kiss you?”

“No, sweetie! I promise! You can kiss me all you like, I’m make sure I spray with anti-cootie mouthwash before I kiss you.”

“Good!” Lucy declared, staring at her mother for a moment. “Do you love him like you loved my Real Daddy?”

“Yes, Lucy, I think I do.”

“Will he be my new Daddy?”

“I hope so, Lucy.”

Lucy squealed with excitement. “Can I wear my new sundress for my new daddy?”

“Sure, Baby,” Nicola answered, praying that her answer to the Daddy question didn’t break Lucy’s heart.

*~*~*

“Aje, hang the damn phone up, please!” Howie groaned, struggling to pull on a light yellow t-shirt with a phone attached to his ear. He was anxious to meet Nicola’s daughter, knowing that everything surrounding his relationship with Nicola rested in the small child’s hands. Some men would be completely horrified at the moment arriving, but Howie was actually excited. He loved children and could only imagine Nicola’s child as being sweet and utterly adorable. And, he couldn’t wait to kiss Nicola again. He tingled at the mere thought of her touch, but was quickly drawn away by AJ’s voice. All the guys had made several calls during the day for the latest dirt, making it utterly impossible for Howie to prepare.

“So, she’s definitely coming for dinner?”

“Yes, for the thousandth time, yes!”

“Can we meet her? You know, without the threat of her bashing our brains out?”

“Not tonight.”

“When?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“Estimation?”

“AJ, I don’t know!”

“Guess!”

“I don’t care when, really! Just not tonight. I have to make sure that everything goes perfect with my family!”

“Are you nervous?”

“Can’t you tell?”

“Well?”

“A little.”

“I thought your mom and sisters loved her?”

“They do.”

“Then why are you worried?”

“Because I’m not ready for her to come!”

“Why?”

“BECAUSE YOU BABOONS KEEP DIALING MY PHONE NUMBER AND BOTHERING ME!” Howie exploded.

“DAMN! PMS MUCH?”

“You’re driving me nuts, AJ!”

“It’s my job—”

“Goodbye, AJ.”

“Wait!”

“Have a nice date with Jamila tonight—”

“Thanks, but—”

“I’m hanging up—”

“D—”

“Right now!”

“DAMN! GOOD LUCK!”