- Text Size +
Chapter 33 – Dreamers

“They all like you,” Howie confided as Nicola helped Howie slide easily into his silk PJ bottoms. Usually, he had no issue dressing himself from the wheelchair, but he needed to speak with Nicola privately. He could think of no other way for them to be separated from the group for a few extra minutes. The entire day had drifted by without a single dispute amongst the entire group. The boys had taken almost all of Nicola’s time during the day, wanting to hear more about her. Then the girlfriends seized both Lucy and Nicola for some private girl chatter, which almost obviously revolved around Howie and then touched on the remarkable Lucy. Now, the sun had already set and Nicola would have to leave with Lucy soon.

“Do they?” Nicola teased, tossing him a tank top from the drawer.

“Yes, I’m surprised Nick didn’t slip you his digits!”

“Oh, he already did,” Nicola laughed, handing Howie a small slip of paper. She noticed jealousy flicker in his dark eyes from what the piece of paper meant. Nicola rolled her eyes, crumpling Howie’s hands around the paper. She then crawled carefully into his lap, delivering a kiss. It was good to know that Howie felt so deeply about her. It almost flattered her to see the jealousy.

“I only want you, Howie,” she promised quietly.

“Good,” Howie murmured as the door opened.

“The boys want you!” Lucy called, hurrying into the family bundle. She crawled into her mother’s lap and kissed both Howie and Nicola. Howie smiled genuinely, tickling her stomach beneath the tank top. Lucy shrieked with giggles, burying her face into her mother’s shirt. When she was sure that Howie wouldn’t attack, she peeked out to reveal the rest of the information. “They say stop sharing cooties!”

“Okay, okay, we get the point,” Howie chuckled, running his fingers through Lucy’s messy curls before she hurried away.

“What do they think of her?” Nicola asked as she watched her daughter’s retreating form.

“They know that she’s your daughter—”

“And?”

“They were surprised like Kevin was surprised… Brian and AJ seem to understand why I love Lucy so much. Nick doesn’t understand why I’m involved with a woman who has a daughter… They’re just shocked, I guess. They don’t seem to outrageously mind, but I really don’t care anyway.”

“You don’t?”

“No,” Howie replied honestly.

“Why?”

“Because I love you and Lucy regardless of the others.”

“Honestly?” Nicola asked with a large smile.

“Straight up.”

“I love you so much, Howie!”

“I love you, too.”

“Can I ask you one more question before the boys yank me away again?”

“Sure, Sweetheart,” Howie chuckled.

“What’s with Kevin hounding me about Decker?” Nicola asked with confusion. The entire day had commenced with Kevin asking various questions about Hollie. At first, Nicola really didn’t think anything of the conversation, but as the day wore on she became suspicious. Something in Kevin’s eyes alerted Nicola to something deeper besides curiosity.

“I don’t know,” Howie replied with an earnest smile, although he knew what the glint in Kevin’s eyes meant.

“Well, it’s a little creepy.”

“We’re all a little creepy.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Nicola laughed as the boys began to holler for them.

*~*~*

“Okay, it’s tradition time!” Raegan announced once everyone had gathered back into the living room. Nicola and Howie sat perfectly content on the couch with Lucy lying peacefully against both of them. The boys exchanged knowing smiles to Raegan’s obvious plan. “Nicola, we have a tradition as Backstreet Girlfriends. Every time a new one of us joins the group…we ask the same question… And, the question to you is, what’s your dream for your life?”

“My dream?” Nicola questioned.

“Besides family and junk,” Jamila interjected. “Makes it more interesting that way.”

“Because she’s obviously already got that dream covered,” AJ teased, motioning toward the couple and child linked on the couch.

“Hmm…besides family… Okay! I’ve always wanted to own my own Physical Therapy Clinic. You know…my name painted on the door… Everyone searching me out for the best care they could ever possibly receive in Florida. The idea of helping people is so satisfying to a heart. Just to know that I made someone else’s life better. And I wouldn’t have to worry about a boss crushing me because of my gender. I would have enough money to give Lucy the world, which she deserves. But, it’s not all for the money, because I just keep remembering all the smiles that I get during physical therapy with my patients. Just the idea of people coming to see me for help gives me this warm sensation of pleasure,” Nicola explained with an enchanted smile.

“Wow, that’s deep,” Brian commented with approval.

“Yeah, I just need the funds and a building to start!” Nicola laughed, shrugging as if it were no big deal. She then glanced to Jamila and Raegan. “So, if this was tradition and you two joined in… Then what were your answers?”

“Marriage,” Jamila retorted.

“Kids,” Raegan agreed simply.

“WOAH!” Brian and AJ choked together, almost falling from the couch at the abruptness.

“You got their attention,” Howie laughed.

“Yeah and now we can leave you to your boys’ night, knowing that they won’t fall asleep,” Raegan giggled, obviously pleased with her boyfriend’s reaction.

“Thanks, Baby,” Brian muttered sarcastically, holding his hand against his heart.

“Marriage,” AJ trembled with a shiver.

“Poor boys,” Kevin chuckled, sitting back.

“They’ll get over it,” the two women answered in unison, standing up.

“You’re leaving, then?” Nicola asked.

“Yeah, the boys want some alone time,” Jamila replied.

“Can you give Lucy and me a ride?” Nicola pondered.

“You and that adorable child? Of course!” Raegan laughed.

“Wait, you’re leaving?” Howie protested.

“Yeah, we have to go,” Nicola confirmed.

“Lucy will be mad if she wakes up without me there!” Howie complained as Nicola gently lifted her sleeping daughter. Immediately, Lucy curled her arms around her mother’s neck, laying her head against Nicola’s shoulder. Nicola kissed her daughter’s cheek, holding her small frame close. Howie felt his heart begin to ache. He hated to see them leave.

“She’ll be okay,” Nicola promised.

“No, she’ll miss me!”

“She always misses you, Howie—”

“Then let me take her out tomorrow.”

“What?”

“Just Sweet-Pea and me!”

“To where?”

“Somewhere—”

“Howie!”

“Please? She’ll absolutely love it.”

“But—”

“I want to take her out,” Howie stressed.

“Okay, fine.”

“Fantastic!”

“I love you,” Nicola laughed, leaning to kiss him.

“I love you, too!”

*~*~*

“Oh, you’re home early! No sex tonight?” Hollie teased as she followed Nicola upstairs to Lucy’s room. They tucked the little girl into bed without a word, knowing that they might disturb Lucy’s slumber. They then traveled back down to the living room. The quiet nature of Nicola had taken its toll upon Hollie’s mood. Becoming antsy, Hollie tackled Nicola onto the couch. “So, answer my question, no action?”

“Not until you jumped my bones!” Nicola grunted, struggling to get away.

“Did you have fun?” Hollie questioned, still sitting on Nicola’s stomach.

“Are you trying to pop my spleen?”

“Are you trying to say I’m fat?”

“No, I’m saying you’re popping my spleen!” Nicola grunted, finally weaseling her way from beneath Hollie. She tumbled onto the other couch as Hollie fell backward. Nicola took a deep breath, settling amongst the pillows. She gave Howie a playful glare as if daring her to do it again.

“Nope, I won’t do it again,” Hollie confirmed, reading her friend’s mind.

“You’re a nut.”

“I know, speaking of nuts… Did Kevin say anything about me tonight?” Hollie asked curiously.

“Yes, why?”

“Like, good things?”

“Are you looking for a hookup?”

“No… I just saw the way he was looking at me.”

“Oh, so now you’re completely infatuated with your self?”

“No, I just know when a guy gives me the official ‘let’s romp’ look.”

“Is that listed in a book somewhere?” Nicola groaned.

“Yeah, but no one you can find in a medical dictionary,” Hollie teased.

“I forgot what a pain in the ass you are…”

“Thanks, Babe!” Hollie chirped.

“Did anyone call for me while I was gone?”

“Did you have a good time?” Hollie countered.

“Yes…”

“Good, then I can give you the bad news.”

“Excuse me?” Nicola choked in surprise.

“Dr. Jacobs called. He wants you in his office next Tuesday.”

‘He also wants me in his bed,’ Nicola thought angrily, wondering what the man had planned.

*~*~*

“So, you approve of Nicola?” Howie asked excitedly as the guys dove into the second box of midnight pizza. The guys had decided to crash at Howie’s home. They had spent the entire night watching movies, writing songs, and goofing off. Howie felt as if he were back in a normal state of life. Yet, he was still eager to hear the guys’ opinions, knowing that Nicola had been so stressed over the fact. “Absolute fantastic, right?”

“Before we answer that, can we ask a question?” Kevin encountered, setting down his slice of pizza. He wiped the grease from his hands in a sophisticated manner as Howie nodded. “The guys want to know about Lucy.”

“What about her? She’s a sweet little girl,” Howie faltered in confusion.

“What about her Dad?” AJ asked.

“He’s different than most,” Howie drawled, not liking where the conversation was headed.

“How?” Nick mumbled. “He an axe murdering wrestler?”

“No, he’s dead,” Howie bluntly announced with a glare toward Nick.

“D—” Brian couldn’t finish his words.

“Yes, so just say what you want to say,” Howie reprimanded.

“Howie, we like Nicola a lot and Lucy’s a doll. But are you really ready for an instant family? You’re just getting over your accident. Things are still shaky in your life. I mean, Darcy threw you to the curb so hard, maybe you’re just trying to bounce back with Nicola... We just want you to know that we’re thinking about you,” Kevin answered as carefully as possible.

“I love Nicola and you can’t change that,” Howie curly declared.

“We know you do,” Brian trailed.

“Then for my sake, accept Lucy and Nicola into our family. Love them like I love Jamila and Raegan. I let those girls into my heart because I knew how much AJ and Brian cared for them. So, love my love, because it’s my choice and not yours. I know what I’m doing. Nicola is the one that’s putting my life back together. And I’m not letting either of them go. They’re a dream come true.”