- Text Size +
Chapter 34 - I Need You

Howie smiled warmly as Lucy’s teal eyes grew wide in amazement as a baby zebra ventured toward the stationary jeep. The small animal pranced around the jeep for several minutes before inching closer, causing Lucy to squeal quietly with excitement. Howie couldn’t imagine a cuter picture as he gazed down on the small daughter of the woman that he loved. He had taken Lucy to Disney’s Animal Kingdom for the day. He had rented a driver and jeep for their own private tour of the safari, sparing no expense on their wonderful journey. So far, despite all the different types of animals they were able to view, Lucy had fallen in love with the zebras. Howie found his heart swell with adoration as Lucy offered the curious baby a carrot from their Safari Driver.

“He’s cute!” Lucy squealed as the baby zebra accepted the carrot and then pranced back to his mother with the treasure. Lucy’s teal eyes glittered in delight as she turned to Howie, immediately curling into his side on the seat. “I’m naming him…Stripy-D!”

“Stripy-D?” Howie cooed with laughter.

“Yes, sir!” she chirped.

“Why Stripy-D?” Howie asked curiously as the jeep revved to the next sight.

“Because your friends call you D and I like it!”

“Oh, well thanks, Sweet-Pea!” Howie chuckled, ruffling her curls.

“Do you call anyone else Sweet Pea?”

“Nope, only you.”

“Can that be my special name from you? Like how Mommy calls me Baby?”

“Of course, Sweet Pea.”

“Do you love my Mommy?” Lucy asked curiously as the jeep slowly stopped.

“Do you want me to love your Mommy?”

“Yeah, she needs loving,” Lucy giggled.

“Then, yes, I do love your Mommy, Sweet Pea.”

“Good!” Lucy giggled, peering out of the jeep in search of the next animal. She had expected to find an adorable animal that she could imagine cuddling, but was greeted by a ferocious male lion raising from sleep. His sharp white teeth protruded from his mouth as he stretched his back, his massive claws digging into the fresh dirt. The grumpy animal roared loudly with a threatening nature, causing Lucy to shriek in fear. She jumped backward and launched herself into Howie’s arms. “OOOOH, UGLY KITTY! HOWIE SAVE ME!”

“I got you, Sweet Pea,” Howie soothed with assurance, wrapping his arms around the jittery child as she struggled to climb him. He kissed her forehead before she quickly buried her face into his chest for protection. He rubbed her back, listening to her whimper wildly about Scar from the Lion King and how she could have been ate. Howie prepared to sing to calm her, but an incredible force attacked him with surprise. Without warning, an annoying pain erupted from his toes and shot up his legs with fiery vengeance. Howie hissed in surprise at the sheer pain, startling Lucy from his lap.

“Howie! Did Scar bite you?” Lucky shrieked.

“No… It’s okay, Sweet Pea,” Howie soothed yet again, dismissing the pain to tend to Lucy.

*~*~*

“Mommy! Look what Howie bought me!” Lucy squealed excitedly as Nicola entered Howie’s home. She launched her tiny body into her mother’s arms with a giant plush zebra attached. Nicola laughed softly as she kissed Lucy’s forehead, listening to the girl babble about her day. Nicola sat by Howie on the couch with her daughter in her arms, smiling at him as Lucy’s account winded down. The little girl giggled, “I named this zebra Stripy-D!”

“Stripy-D, huh? That’s adorable, Lovebug,” Nicola enthused.

“That’s not my only nickname now, Mommy!”

“What’s your other nickname, Lovebug?”

“Howie calls me Sweet Pea!”

“Does he?”

“Yep!” Lucy announced, hopping off her mother’s lap and hurrying to finish her movie.

“So, how are you?” Nicola purred when she heard the door to the movie room close, focusing her attention upon Howie. She leaned in to catch his lips in a passionate kiss. She had missed both Howie and Lucy like crazy today. She couldn’t imagine being parted from them for so long. She felt her cheeks blush crimson when she noticed his eyes glittered with joy as she ran her fingers through his short curls.

“Wonderful now that you’re here,” Howie murmured, kissing her again. The fire that had been licking his legs since the outing with Lucy seemed to dissipate from his mind with one breezy kiss. Nicola always had a way of making everything better. He didn’t care about the pain as long as Nicola was by his side.

“How was Lucy?” Nicola asked, cuddling up next to Howie. He wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close against him. Nicola had somewhat of a quiet day with Hollie, lounging about the pool, sun tanning. Yet, as much as she had enjoyed spending time with Hollie, Nicola had longed even more to be with Howie and Lucy.

“She was an angel. She absolutely loved the zebras, but the lions scared her. She jumped into my lap for protection,” Howie chuckled, running his hand along Nicola’s bare shoulder.

“Awe, she thinks of you as her Prince Charming. You’re the only person she talks about with my family. She loves you a lot,” Nicola responded, glancing up at him with contentment. “Thank you so much for accepting both of us into your heart, Howie. Not many men would do that for a woman.”

“Well, you’re the queen of my heart, Nic. So, Lucy is automatically the princess of my heart.”

“You are too sweet sometimes,” Nicola laughed, kissing the tips of his fingers.

“Guess what I found out today?”

“What?”

“Lucy says that you love dolphins,” Howie recalled, concentrating on Nicola’s soft lips against his fingers. Nicola knew how to drive him insane with wanting. Just one touch would make him yearn for her. He loved her so much that sometimes he felt as if he couldn’t breathe when she wasn’t near.

“Did she tell you my secret?”

“Oh yes, she did.”

“And what are you planning to do with that information?”

“I’m going to take you and Lucy swimming with the dolphins?”

“You can do that?” Nicola asked with awe.

“Just for you and Lucy.”

“I would love that,” Nicola exclaimed, her eyes glittering like newly polished emerald gems.

“I knew you would,” Howie replied triumphantly.

“But it’ll have to wait.”

“Why?”

“Because Lucy and I have to go to Rosie’s birthday party tonight. Momma said you’re welcome to come, but there will be tons of over-sexed college girls ready to attack you, rip of your clothes, and torture you with mad passion—”

“Yikes, I think I’m all alone tonight,” Howie pouted.

“We’ll have a slumber party soon.”

“Promise?”

“Of course,” Nicola purred, slowly crawling onto Howie’s lap. His eyes widened with interest as Nicola’s sensual side took effect. She wrapped her arms around his neck, settling carefully into his lap. She leaned in, kissing him deeply. “I love you, Baby.”

“I love you, too,” Howie replied, kissing her back. Before the kiss ended, Nicola settled against Howie’s tender area. An intense fire zoomed up his spinal cord from his tingling legs, causing him to jerk. He broke the kiss quickly, wincing openly from the pain she had caused.

“What’s wrong?” Nicola immediately asked with worry, catching onto his sensation. Her eyes studied his face, praying he was okay.

“I’m just going to miss you tonight,” Howie lied.

“I’ll only be a phone call away, Baby.”

“I know…” Howie trailed, praying that the pain would just leave.

*~*~*

“Kev, honestly, I don’t know that much about Hollie! All I know is that she is Nicola’s best friend, an editor and writer, and completely psychotic,” Howie groaned as he struggled to get ready for bed with Kevin continually pestering him. Currently, Kevin was on the speakerphone with Howie consulting about Hollie. Usually, Howie would do his best to fill in the needed details, but his legs were cramping terribly, so he couldn’t concentrate.

“Does she have a boyfriend?” Kevin pressed, obviously not hearing the distress in Howie’s voice.

“I don’t think so—”

“Can you find out?”

“Yes—”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yes—”

“And you’ll call me right after?”

“Yes, Kevin.”

“Great!”

“You’ve got it bad this time, Kev.”

“She seemed nice,” Kevin stated offhandedly.

“She is nice.”

“Make sure to call me.”

“Okay, bye, Kev,” Howie blurted, clicking off the phone before Kevin could start again. Howie shook his head in wonder, pulling off his tank top. He reached up to grasp the bar above his bed to pull himself up, but the pains attacked with greater force than previous times. Searing hot pain exploded from his legs, eating his spinal cord with vicious harassment. Howie fell backward in agony, toppling out of his wheelchair and clattering to the floor with his nightstand on top of him. He wheezed as the window knocked free from his lungs, stunning him. Tears of agony rolled down his hot cheeks as he struggled to locate his phone. He needed help.

“Nicola?” he wheezed loudly.

“Baby?” Nicola shouted into her phone over the blaring music.

“I need help.”

“What’s wrong?”

“My legs,” he sobbed. “They’re on fire. It hurts so bad, Nic… I fell to the floor. I need help.”

“On fire?” she asked with puzzlement.

“Yes, it hurts so bad!”

“Hold on for five minutes, Baby.”