- Text Size +
Chapter 35 – God’s Gift

Nicola yawned loudly as she shifted in the hard plastic chair, trying to accustom her body to the odd position she was forced to sit in. She glanced to see Lucy sleeping peacefully on two chairs pushed together before gazing at her watch. Now, she had been waiting in the Emergency Room for several hours and still had no word on Howie’s condition. She pondered the recent events when she had taken Howie immediately to the Emergency Room after finding him on the floor, but now she could only wait. She was voided of all emotions while sitting amongst various clusters of families. She hated the numbness, but she didn’t know what else to expect. Howie’s signs and symptoms perplexed her. She had never seen a patient in such a state. She didn’t know whether to fear or rejoice in what a possible outcome could hinge on.

“Nic?” AJ called, rushing forward as her thoughts shattered around her. Nicola had called everyone in Howie’s immediate circle, alerting them as to what had occurred in Howie’s home. She assured them that it was probably nothing, so they could just stay at home. There was no sense in having a large group of people waiting in the cramped waiting room. The worrying would just make them sick. To defer any possibilities of them feeling unneeded guilt, she then promised to call as soon as she was aware of anything new.

“AJ!”

“The one and only!” he answered, holding his arms out.

“What are you doing here?” Nicola exclaimed, jumping up from her seat. She kissed his cheek affectionately, ignoring the urge to scorn him for disobeying her decision. “You really didn’t have to come!”

“I know, but I figured you could at least use some company, since Sweetheart over there is dreaming sweet dreams,” AJ chuckled, nodding toward the slumbering child.

“That’s extremely sweet of you.”

“Could you tell Jamila? She likes to hear those kind of good reports.”

Nicola laughed softly, “Okay, AJ. I’ll fax her one.”

AJ took his seat by Nicola, instinctively pulling her hand into his own. He ran his thumb against her hand as if to soothe him and her. His posture stiffened dramatically as he grew somber, reminding himself as to why he was sitting in the waiting room with Howie’s girlfriend. “I know you called all of us saying that it was fine, because you didn’t want us all rushing down to the ER to worry. But, level with me, Nicola. What’s happening to him?”

“Honestly, I don’t know. He said he was having burning pains in his legs, which is rare with paraplegics. I’ve never encountered it in any of the patients I’ve seen. So, I can’t really confide a concrete answer, which I know is what you want.”

“So, we’re all in the dark?”

“For the time being, yes.”

AJ nodded thoughtfully while speaking, “Thanks for the honesty.”

“You’re welcome to say the least.”

“You must love him a lot,” AJ suddenly murmured, still holding onto her hand. His voice was light and clogged, obvious that he was holding back tears. His eyes were cloudy with worry for his dear friend.

“Why do you say that?”

“Because, it’s midnight and here you sit. He’s been in there for hours as you sit in these God-awful chairs with your daughter sleeping at your side. You could have made his parents haul ass out here so you could go home, but you wanted them to rest. That is true love, Nic.”

“So, is this your oddball way of telling me that I have your approval?”

“You always did.”

“And Lucy has your approval?”

“I love that kid with all my heart. She is the cutest and sweetest thing in this world, Nic. Howie’s changed so much because of you two and it’s all for the better. He raves about her like she’s his own daughter. He loves her more than life itself. There’s no way that I couldn’t accept Lucy into the family. She is definitely a golden beam from Heaven!”

“I always knew I liked you the best,” Nicola teased.

“Thanks,” AJ laughed, kissing her cheek.

“Ms. Tilley?!” a voice interrupted from the hallway, causing the two to jump with surprise

“Yes?” Nicola blurted, standing up.

“Mr. Dorough would like you in the room.”

“I’ll watch the munchkin,” AJ promised.

“Thank you!” Nicola breathed, standing up.

“Your welcome, now go see our champ!”

*~*~*

“Doctor, you’re killing me!” Howie grunted as Nicola stepped hesitantly into the examining room. She looked to see the doctor bent over Howie’s bare legs with a blanket shielding Howie’s view of his lower half. Nicola craned her neck as her breath caught, her brain processing the scene with a fevered speed. The doctor seemed to ignore Nicola’s presence for the moment, more intent on poking Howie with a thin needle in several places along his legs. Nicola was flabbergasted when Howie cried loudly, “Damn! That hurts!”

“You felt that?” Nicola blurted, unable to control her outburst.

“That’s what I said, Ms. Tilley!” the doctor laughed, turning toward her. He offered her a seat next to Howie’s bedside, which she took immediately. Her hands were trembling as she reached to grasp Howie’s hands, squeezing tightly. “This man is very lucky indeed! His first prognosis was nothing to cheer about, but now, it’s just too amazing. I did several tests, MRIs, CT Scans, Bone Scans, and the results are the same. The nerves’ swelling has decreased and somehow shifted so that nothing is being pinched. His back healed perfectly with the surgery and he’s feeling sensations in his legs.”

“You’re kidding!” Nicola squealed.

“No, I’m not. He can feel the pricks of the needle and distinguish between different sensations. It will only be a matter of time before he regains full use of his legs. He may not be able to move them now, but it will come to him. He will indeed be walking again with the proper physical therapy. First walking, then dancing, the man will be unstoppable.”

“Thank God!” Howie praised.

“I’ll get him on a different physical therapy plan right away,” Nicola promised.

“I’m going to prescribe some mild analgesics for pain relief, so hold on just a moment.”

Nicola waited until the doctor was gone before she wrapped her arms tightly around Howie. She kissed him repeatedly with raw passion, running her hands along his shoulders. She kissed him several more times before finding the proper words in her deliriously ecstatic mind. “You! That’s so wonderful, Baby! Walking again! Honey, that’s unbelievable! You must be so happy! Your parents and family will flip. I mean, I’m even speechless!”

“I know,” Howie laughed, giddy with pride. He ran his fingers through her unruly curls, bringing her lips to his own again. “You made this possible. You never gave up on me, even in the beginning. You told me that I needed to keep my body in shape just in case. Now it’s really tangible. I’m going to be able to walk because of all the support you gave. I love you so much, Nic.”

“I love you, too.”

“Want to see the best part, though?” Howie asked shyly.

“What would the best part be?” Nicola countered with a laugh.

Howie pointed to his legs and wiggled his toes