- Text Size +
Chapter 36 – Sleeping Hearts

It was a little after four in the morning when Nicola managed to help Howie into his home. Howie had called everyone with the good news in the car. The joyous shrieks still rang in Howie and Nicola’s ears. Each promised to venture over later in the evening for celebrations. Howie had to fight for almost ten minutes before his mother would agree to go back to bed. Thankfully, for the time being, Howie would be able to rest, yet he only wanted to celebrate with Nicola. The night was young in Howie’s mind, because he was given a new lease in life. God was giving him the chance to walk again and fulfill his desires and Nicola’s desires.

“Nic, you can take Lucy into the guess room,” Howie suggested softly as he followed Nicola in the living room. Nicola glanced down at her child as Howie spoke. The sleeping Lucy lay curled in her mother’s arms, completely oblivious to the movement. She had fallen asleep yet again on AJ before Howie was discharged. The child was exhausted from the late night running.

“I should really take Lucy home, it’s late,” Nicola objected, shifting the child’s weight in her arms.

“You are home.”

“Howie–”

“Spend the night with me.”

“Howie—”

“I love you, so please?” Howie begged.

“Which guest room?” Nicola relented, knowing she couldn’t resist his soft eyes.

“Upstairs, second room to the left,” Howie answered, watching Nicola’s retreating form. He smiled approvingly, shifting his body to the couch. He crossed his arms and placed them behind his head for comfort. He could feel the soft pressure of his feet against the thick carpet as he leaned back on the soft couch. He could feel again, although it would be several weeks until he walked again. But the point was that he would eventually walk. He vowed he would take his first steps to burn the wheelchair.

“You look almost giddy,” Nicola teased lightly as she curled herself next to Howie on the couch after returning from upstairs. He immediately wrapped his arms around her as she leaned against him, listening to his heartbeat in the dim lighting of the living room. Only the moonlight from outside provided the dim shadows. She was absolutely content with him holding her. She had missed being close to someone since her husband had died. She wanted companionship and love – Howie always gave her both.

“I think I am giddy,” Howie confided with a silly smile.

“With the proper physical therapy, you’ll be walking soon.”

“With you always by my side.”

“You still want me here?” Nicola asked in obvious surprise. She had almost believed they would go separate ways once he was healed. She was no super model, actress, or singer. What made her think she could actually compete with those?

“Why wouldn’t I?”

“Because I’m—”

“Perfect, yes, you are.” He wouldn’t let her make awful blows against her own self-esteem.

“Howie—”

“I love you,” he repeated, kissing her softly. He really loved her and would do anything to make sure she was safe, loved, and comfortable with him. He brought his hands through her golden curls, pulling her closer. “Let me show you.”

“How?” she whispered against his lips.

“Let me make love to you.”

*~*~*

“We’ll make Mommy some cereal and orange juice!” Lucy announced happily as she crawled into Howie’s lap. She squealed in surprise as Howie managed to perform a wheelie in the wheelchair. Lucy clapped her hands eagerly as they raced into the kitchen. She and Howie were the only ones up, so Lucy wanted to make Nicola breakfast. Howie thought it was a sweet idea, quickly agreeing that Nicola deserved to be pampered.

“Together in a bowl?” Howie teased, making a face.

“No, Howie!” Lucy groaned, “Orange juice to drink! Not eat!”

“Oh, okay, I’ll get the bowls, milk, and juice. You pick out the cereal, spoons, and cups. Okay?” Howie planned, kissing her cheek.

“Deal,” Lucy chirped, scrambling out of his lap.

Howie smiled as he went to gather his supplies. His mood just kept rising as the minutes passed. The love making last night had been absolutely pleasurable. So wonderful that Howie thought it might be a sin to love a woman so much. Yet, he didn’t care. Everything just felt so right, especially helping Lucy with breakfast.

“Golden Grams, Mommy’s favorite!” Lucy announced, setting the box on the kitchen table.

“Mommy’s favorite or yours?” Howie laughed.

“Um…both?”

“Okay, Sweet-Pea.”

“Can I pour the cereal?”

“Sure,” Howie agreed, setting up three bowls. He then opened the box and handed it to Lucy. She shrieked in glee, scrambling up onto a nearby chair to reach the bowls.

“Howie?” Lucy chirped as she diligently poured a favored amount of cereal into each bowl. She patted down the cereal, judging to make sure each bowl had the same amount. She stopped for a moment, making sure she had his attention. Howie offered a tender smile, ruffling her curls.

“What Sweet-Pea?”

“Are you going to be my new Daddy? Because Aunt Hollie says that Mommy loves you bunches. And when Mommies and Daddies bunches they get married. Then they have babies, but Mommy has me… So are you going to be my Daddy?”

Howie was absolutely floored with the question. Lucy was wise beyond her years and never ceased to amaze Howie. He leaned forward to scoop Lucy into his arms, deciding what he would say. The little girl squealed in surprise as she faced him with curiosity. “Do you want me to be your Daddy, Sweet-Pea?”

“Duh, you’re fun!” she chirped.

“Then I want to tell you that I want you to be my baby.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Sweet-Pea.”

“So, you’re my Daddy?”

“Now and forever!” Howie promised, delivering playful kisses.