- Text Size +
Chapter 37 – Offering His All

Nicola yawned softly as she trudged down into the kitchen, inhaling the faint scent of Howie’s lingering cologne. She loved the way his house smelled. It had a way of lulling her into a peaceful state, but she couldn’t believe Howie had let her sleep so late. Images of terror swept through her mind, knowing that Lucy always rose early to eagerly greet the new day. It wasn’t that the child was a terrible misfit, but she was very energetic and passionate about life. Lucy could easily tire a triathlon racer and it made Nicola nervous to think that Howie had put himself up to the task. She planned to scold him for his obvious crazy notion, but was greeted by the sweetest image that caused all agitation to melt. Her daughter and Howie were sitting at the kitchen table, playfully interacting with one another. Their bowls of cereal and juice remained untouched. Obviously, the two were waiting to eat with Nicola.

“Morning, Mommy!” Lucy chirped, immediately wiggling down from her seat when Nicola appeared. She launched her body into Nicola’s arms, delivering the traditional morning kisses. No matter how much Lucy grew; she would always want her mother’s tender kisses. “Daddy and I made breakfast for you!”

“Well, thank you, Baby–ah–what?” Nicola choked with surprise.

“I said I made breakfast with Daddy,” Lucy answered with a weary sigh pushing on her cheeks with her small hands as if her mother had asked the question dozens of times.

“Daddy?”

“Yes!”

Nicola shot Howie a bewildered look, oblivious to the true meaning. Howie offered a gentle smile, motioning toward the living room. Nicola shrugged helplessly as Lucy hopped down from her arms. Lucy began to hum a tune from Beauty and the Beast as she crawled back into her kitchen seat, looking at the couple expectantly. “Lucy, I need to talk to your Mommy for a minute. You start eating, okay?” Howie offered.

“Okay!” Lucy agreed, diving into the cereal with an eager grin.

“I am so sorry she called you Daddy, Howie. I have no idea where she got that thought from. In all honesty, I have never even said that to her… Oh, jezz, Howie, I promise I’ll talk to her, okay? Don’t be mad at her? She wasn’t even born when he died… She’s just so little and sometimes she wishes so hard for things… She’s so passionate about… She’s never had a father and now that we’re… I promise that I’ll straighten everything,” Nicola blurted without hesitation as soon as they entered the privacy of the living room.

“Woah, Honey, calm down! I told her she could call me Daddy,” Howie chuckled, watching Nicola’s nose crinkle with confusion. Nicola and Lucy shared the cutest tendencies and facial expressions. Howie looked forward to every day just to see what quirky combination would be presented through mother and daughter.

“You told her to?”

“She asked if I was going to be her new Daddy. That girl is so smart, Nic! She’s right on top of everything. Anyway, I said I’d like to be her Daddy and I really mean that. Just like you said, she’s never had a father. She needs that father figure. Danny’s a great kid, but she needs more than just an uncle. I love her to death and I want to be her Daddy. I hope it’s alright with you, Honey, because I love the idea of her calling my Daddy. It makes me feel like a permanent part of your family.”

“First off, you’ll always have a permanent part in our family. You don’t have to feel obligated to take on the role of Lucy’s father just to remain—”

“Nic, I want to be her father,” Howie stressed.

“You want to be her father?” Nicola breathed in amazement, wilting onto the couch. Her legs felt rubbery. She couldn’t believe how well God had provided for her prayers about finding a love for both her and Lucy. It was as if God had crafted Howie just for Nicola and Lucy.

“Why wouldn’t I want to be? She’s a great kid who deserves a father. I know that when the time comes, I’ll have to share the role with the ghost of her real father, but I don’t care about that. I want both of you in my life. I really want this love to work and I want to take another step toward both of you.”

“Are you sure you’re not hiding a Hallmark card under the table?”

“No, all from the heart,” Howie honestly vowed.

“That’s a relief, because it was absolutely beautiful.”

“Beautiful? So you approve?”

“Of course I approve. I love you and I’m thrilled that you and Lucy love each other, too. I prayed so hard to God that He would give me a man that would love Lucy as well as me. God delivered me with a wonderful man that wants to be her father. I couldn’t be more approving of the situation! Although, on the risk of sounding overly gushy, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

“I love you,” Howie cooed with a laugh, hoisting himself on the couch to kiss Nicola.

“I love you, too,” Nicola countered, eagerly accepting the kiss.

“Mommy! Daddy!” Lucy cried suddenly, running into the living room. She frowned at the image, quickly squeezing in between the couple’s embrace. “No finishing breakfast without you two! My bowl’s almost gone!”

“Sorry, Sweetie, but we have to get ready to see Aunt Decker. Mommy has to engorge Aunt Decker with pounds of chocolate so she’ll switch around her schedule to watch you tomorrow,” Nicola soothed.

“Tomorrow?” Howie questioned.

“I have a long meeting with Jacobs. My top babysitters are grounded, Momma’s working, Danny’s working, and Rosie’s on vacation. Hollie’s my last hope.”

“I can watch her,” Howie offered.

“No, that’s—”

“Please?”

“Hollie loves watching the brat—”

“I’m not a brat!” Lucy growled.

“Okay, okay, Hollie loves watching the monster—”

“Mommy!”

“Okay! Hollie loves watching the princess—”

“She’s my daughter!” Howie interrupted instead of Lucy.

“Yeah!” Lucy cried as if an idea had sparked in her mind. “Le’me play with Daddy!”

Nicola groaned with aggravation, realizing that this situation was spiraling downhill drastically. She couldn’t resist both her lover and child. It was impossible. Nicola rubbed her temples, trying to think. She was silent for a moment before glancing at the pitiful pair. “Fine, you can stay tomorrow and play with Daddy if you help Mommy work Daddy’s legs in the pool.”

“Help Mommy treat the ouchies? Okay! C’mon Daddy!”

“Physical therapy?” Howie groaned with disappointment.

“You love me so don’t whine!” Nicola mimic with a groan.

*~*~*

“Howie seems like Mr. Wonderful,” Hollie sighed dreamily as she floated around in Nicola’s pool with a large inflatable raft. She had arrived when Lucy and Nicola returned from Howie’s home. She planned to spend the night for her own entertainment, knowing that Nicola would never disagree. “Does God still have his mold? So I can build my own dream lover?”

“No, but his friend Kevin is really sweet,” Nicola interjected playfully as she watched Lucy zip around the side of the pool with her inflated swimmers.

“Mr. Bug-Eyed-One-Hit-Wonder?” Hollie snorted.

“Oh please, Hollie. You know you think he’s good-looking,” Nicola groaned as Lucy crawled onto her shoulders. Nicola yelped in surprise as Lucy pushed off her shoulders, leaping into the water. The child was obviously bored with the current conversation and wanted attention. Lucy grinned impishly as she surfaced, wiping away the slick curls from her face. Nicola refused to let the child change the subject. Knowing exactly what Hollie would respond with, Nicola wanted to assure that Kevin still had a solid chance. “Don’t you dare play that frog card on me, because Kevin is definitely a prince.”

“Oh, really? Good looking, huh?” Hollie laughed, sitting up on her raft. She stared at her friend quizzically, knowing her plan had been furled. “Did you kiss him and make him turn into my prince?”

“Aunt Decker! Mommy only kisses Daddy!” Lucy chided, swimming toward her mother.

“DADDY?!” Hollie shot toward Nicola.

“Howie and Lucy were up this morning talking. Seems some air-headed aunt told her that Howie would be her new Daddy—”

“Damn that air-headed Rosie!” Hollie interrupted with a guilty smirk.

“Yeah, okay. So, anyway, she asked Howie if he was going to be her new Daddy. He told her yes and said she deserves to have a father and he wants to be the man,” Nicola explained as Lucy floated around the pool on her back, perfectly content amongst the two women.

“He wants to be her father?” Hollie squealed, almost toppling out of her raft.

“Yeah, wild, huh? Momma almost died when I told her.”

“You guys are super-serious, huh?”

“I’d like to think so.”

“You’ll have a ring on your finger soon!”

“Hollie, don’t jinx me!” Nicola growled with an intense blush creeping to her tan cheeks. Everything had been going so well between Howie and her. No large potholes were found on the road they were traveling. She hoped that maybe Howie would propose to her with time, but she was willing to wait. Howie was definitely worth the wait.

“He’s probably waiting till he can walk again, so he could get on one knee to propose! I bet he’s one of those traditional classy guys. He wants everything perfect for the perfect occasion. He’ll take you out for dinner with champagne. Wine and dine, then gracefully fall to his knee. I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t buy a pillow to kneel on for the event! Really charming fairy tale kind of prince,” Hollie rambled dreamily.

“Can I be the flower princess?” Lucy quipped excitedly.

“That’s flower girl, Lovebug,” Nicola corrected, kissing her daughter’s wet curls. She rolled her eyes as Hollie shrugged innocently; obviously knowing she had sparked Lucy’s imagination. “Before Howie and I run to Las Vegas to elope, can you do me a favor?”

“Howie would never—”

“Hollie!”

“What?”

“Can you drop Lucy at Howie’s house tomorrow morning? I have to meet Jacobs’ for an early meeting. I won’t have time to get there and drop her off.”

“Sure, can I talk to Howie?”

“If you don’t brainwash him into marriage.”

“He might—”

“Hollie!”

“Fine, no marriage for the homely shrew! Jezz!”

“Thank you!”

“But, if he should happen to mention any trigger words like ring, dress, cake, tux, church, bliss, love, lace, something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, or the word white… I cannot be held responsible.”

“What the…”

“Just say you love me.”

“I love you?” Nicola murmured with obvious confusion.

“Deal!” Hollie laughed.