- Text Size +
Chapter 40 ~ Soft Tears

Nicola dreaded her entrance into the Dorough household, because she feared the worst. Howie and Lucy could read her like their favorite books. It was impossible to hide anything from her family when her appearance clearly screamed suffering. Her long brassy braid was already starting to unravel at the end and travel upward as she continually tugged upon it nervously. Her eyelids were pink and puffy with unshed tears, clashing against her colorless face. Her stomach knotted with worry and gurgled with distress, knowing her and Lucy’s futures were at stake because of her foolish mouth. The clinic was the best source of income within the entire city, but no longer tangible for profits in Nicola’s life. She knew she would have to scramble for another steady job for most likely half the pay. However, deep in her heart, she didn’t want to care about the scramble for funds. She just wanted to fade from reality. She felt the need to collapse into the darkest depths of her unconscious mind in hopes to forget the pain.

“Baby! How was the meeting?” Howie called excitedly, shattering Nicola’s mental Armageddon. He offered a sweet smile, beckoning her to the couch. He was obviously thrilled about her early return, but clueless as to the events inside her toiling heart. “Sweet Pea is still napping, so we have some alone time. Lucky us, huh?”

“Napping?” Nicola asked with amazement, pushing away her malicious thoughts. She carefully tugged on her top as she sat down on the couch, immediately tugging upon her braid again.

“We have an honor system,” Howie explained with a laugh. “We make promises to one another… Exchanges if you will… You see, I sang her Beauty and the Beast in exchange for a nap.”

“One of her favorites,” Nicola approved with a small laugh.

“I watched the movie over five times today. I think I came to that conclusion quite easily.”

“Oh really?”

“Would you like to know that her madness has taken another step?”

“How so?”

“She wants us to play Belle and the Prince when she wakes up.”

“I’d love to,” Nicola agreed without hesitation, wanting to enjoy the simple pleasure of fantasy.

“So, now that you know everything about our day… How was the meeting?” Howie asked, restating the obvious question that Nicola had tried so desperately to avoid. He offered a caring smile, intertwining their fingers as he blew a kiss upon the back of her hand. He seemed so content compared to Nicola’s obvious devastation, yet he seemed none the wiser.

“Eventful,” Nicola trailed, not wanting Howie to worry about the minor details. Sexual assault was considered a punishable crime within Florida’s laws, but it was equally as hard to prove. Her word would stand against Dr. Jacobs’ word, which seemed rather unfair. Rather that surface an ugly lawsuit, she decided to hide any evidence of her quitting to spare her family the agony of the vicious press. She would take extra care to assure Howie steered clear of the proof, knowing his reaction might ravage his recovery. “So, what did you and Lucy do?”

“I managed to get Polly to take us shopping. We had a serious blast in the mall. Polly went crazy with Lucy in the various stores. We got Lucy some cute summer clothes, shoes, and toys to play with here–”

“Howie! You’re spoiling–”

“AND we called an interior decorator today. I found the best in the business for designing little girl rooms. She’s so excited about the project that she’s going to bring me several designs next Monday. She’s going to redo the bedroom by the master bedroom into this huge Disney Princess Castle theme–”

“What?” Nicola gasped incredulously.

“I’m making the room specifically for Lucy,” Howie confirmed with a caring smile.

“That’s a…a huge step, Howie.”

“I know, but I love both of you. I want to give you both the best of the world, because that’s what you deserve. You made my life mean so much, Nic. I need you beside me just as much as I need Lucy beside me. I wanted to show my appreciation and love for you… So, here,” Howie explaining, handing Nicola a slender box.

Howie almost felt his own breath catch as he heard the soft pop of the lid opening. He was exhilarated when Nicola gasped, freeing the beautiful silver butterfly anklet from the bed of dark satin. The pendant looked extremely delicate with its purple gemstone wings and slender silver body, completed with gentle sapphire chips as its eyes. He watched with baited breath as she gently turned the charming pendant to read the inscription: ‘For believing I could fly with broken wings.’

With the lovely gift in hand, Nicola could no longer hold herself tall, and she freely burst into bitter tears.