- Text Size +
Chapter 43 – Love’s Unyielding Strength

Nicola turned in Howie’s large bed, throwing her arm out in hopes to reach Howie. She had a terrible night’s rest and just wanted to be comforted in the sweet embrace of Howie’s warmth. She hoped that maybe the dreams would turn peaceful in his arms, because every dream of that night had turned hellish. She always imagined Jacobs chasing her through wickedly winding paths of entrenched darkness with shadows lurking beneath every step. She thought it would be better once she woke, but the empty bed made the depression worse. Her hand sunk into the cold side of the mattress, causing her to shiver. She wanted to crawl in the deepest hole and die. Even with Howie encouraging her the past night, she still felt utterly useless. Nicola curled back onto her side, staring out the bay window. The sun beamed brightly through the breezy white curtains, yet Nicola couldn’t muster the same cheerful hello. Never had she felt so helpless since her husband’s passing.

Lying amongst the soft sheets, she decided to stop wallowing in self-pity. It wouldn’t help her daughter to cry about things that had already occurred. So, she started to map her course of actions and what would be needed to ensure her daughter’s well being. The tears started to glaze over her sorrowful eyes, finally realizing that she would have to move back in with her family. The inevitability of the situation seemed to sink like a lead weight. Since she refused to take Howie’s money, she would be unable to make her house payments. Such a beautiful house to lose, but she feared most for her aging mother. Rosa-Lynn and Danny were already enough trouble in their teenage troubles, but adding Lucy and herself to the mix was torture. Still, she would have to get hold of her mother immediately, already dreading that conversation.

“I’m so sorry, Momma,” Nicola whispered, “So, so—”

“NICOLA!”

Howie’s yell of distress seemed to shatter her grief like a crystal rose upon the hardwood floor. Her startled body started to pump adrenaline as it prepared for the infamous fight or flight theory. She lurched out of the bed as her heart leapt to her throat. He continued to yell for her, causing Nicola’s body to rush into a state of panic. Her mind tumbled with grief, unable to make sense of anything. She scurried down the steps in a record pace, following his voice. She could only think about the procedures to take in a first-aid situation.

“Baby? Where are you?!”

“Please hurry, Nic!” he hollered again.

“Alright, hold on!”

“I can’t!”

“Howie, please!”

“Hurry!”

Nicola struggled to maintain a steady breathing pattern, realizing his voice was radiating from the workout room. So many hazardous supplies lurked beyond that door. Her mind started to run through scenarios – heart attack, drowning, falling, traumatic injuries, bleeding, or many other possibilities. She wondered if she could handle such a catastrophe, especially with the deep affection she felt for her young lover. She felt like she was made of lightening as she darted into the room. Her teeth chattered as she circled the room like a preying vulture in search of the issue.

“Howie? Baby, where are you?!” she cried with obvious distress, unable to find him.

“Right here,” he called softly.

“Are you hurt?” she blurted in an anxious nature, turning toward his echoing voice. Her eyes immediately rested on his impish smile, alerting her to the fact that everything was well. Her heart fell back to its place with obvious relief, causing her to release a large exhale of delight. She wanted to instantly scold him, but found herself speechless at the sight ahead of her.

Howie was on the familiar bar system that Nicola hadn’t planned to use for months. Its function mirrored the expensive equipment used to help patients training to walk again at the clinics. Yet, Nicola couldn’t deny the facts of the situation. Howie’s wheelchair was tossed aside with the large wheels spun wildly, causing Nicola’s stomach to clench. She turned toward the system, watching as he stood in the middle upon his own two legs. Nicola’s jaw unhinged with disbelief.
“What…”

“I’m walking,” he agreed.

“You—”

“Because of you,” he interrupted with a bold smile, wanting to prove his love for her. He gripped the bars with added strength of his upper torso. He was still wobbly with his weak legs, but the spirit was stronger than anyone could possibly imagine. He took a deep breath, forcing all the determination and energy into his legs. As much as the tightened muscles ached with the pain of weakness, he refused to give up. He wanted to scream out, but bared the scream against his legs for more power. Sure enough, with meticulous movements of the once useless muscles, his right leg lifting from the system and pushed forward. With great patient and diligence, he crossed the apparatus till he perched himself in front of Nicola. “See?”

“You’re walking…” she trailed, still shocked.

“Yeah,” he laughed, enjoying the innocent look crossing her beautiful face. He mentally drew the image for his keeping, bracing his hands against Nicola’s shoulders for support. His facial features tightened as he slowly brought his body down from the structure. His legs trembled for just a moment until regaining the balance he previously needed. He offered a wry smile, pushing her back with each step he took forward.

Her eyes widened with each small step, realizing the implications he was setting forth. He had broken all the laws of true physical therapist practices. He had been told he would never walk away. His spine was so mangled that it seemed impossible. Yet, there he was, pushing her back with his own strength. She blinked rapidly, continuing with her speechless nature till her heel caught against the activity mat. She shrieked in surprise as they toppled, Howie holding the top position.

“Howie!” Nicola screeched, scowling as he joyously laughed. “You could have hurt yourself!”

“But you broke my fall. Such an angel!” Howie cooed, reaching down to place kisses against the flesh of her throat. He smiled with approval, hearing a soft moan build from beneath her vocal chords. It was obvious that he was winning the war against her scolding heart.

“Don’t,” she whined.

“Don’t what?” he laughed against her fiery skin, loving the salty sweet taste of her tan skin.

“Don’t! I’m supposed to be mad at you.”

“Baby, how can you be mad when I feel like a million bucks!”

“Because—”

“Baby, fall into ecstasy with me,” Howie pleaded, delivering several more kisses till he reached her jaw line.

“Well…”

“C’mon, indulge in the passion!”

“Okay… It’s absolutely wonderful!” Nicola exclaimed with a giddy laugh, noticing the glimmer in his eyes. She immediately remembered the bitter man she had stumbled across during her first visit. His eyes had been so dark with grief and despair, never even offering the subtlest hint of hope. Now it was like looking in upon a completely different man. His warm brown eyes always sparked with a knowing secret, something he kept hidden from the world. Yet, the warm glow behind the pupil always reminded her of his undying love and devotion for her and only her. A ripple of excitement flushed her body as she wrapped her arms around his neck. She leaned up to give him an overpowering kiss of obvious excitement. “Do you know what this means?”

“More sexual positions for our pleasure?”

“Well... yes, but it also means that I’m going to have to get you started on an entirely different
program! I bet with a lot more practice we can get you on crutches by next week. Can you imagine? In a few short months you’ll be running around, chasing Lucy!”

“There’s plenty of time for that. But we deserve to celebrate now,” Howie murmured, bringing his lips to her neck. Truth be told, she could already see the sensual heat of excitement flickering against his beautiful irises. Her body matched the same wanting in a matter of moments. The sadness that had lurked behind her emerald eyes vaporized with Howie’s first step. She couldn’t even remember what she had been so grief-stricken about. Howie felt so relieved to see her smile again. He could feel his heart throb against his chest as he stroked her soft skin and savored the exotic nature of her flavor.

“How are we celebrating?” she whispered against his lips, her eyes fluttering closed as he started to press delicate kisses against her face.

“We’re celebrating by making love.”