- Text Size +
Chapter 44 – Hidden Secrets

“C’mon, Cola! This is supposed to cheer you up! You know what happy is, right? Where you give one of those big doofy smiles that I love so much with that funny little giggle that ends with that little snort?” Hollie chided for yet another time as Nicola parked in Jamila’s driveway. Howie had requested the girls take Nicola out to cheer her up while he searched for the perfect building. So far, Hollie’s efforts had been slightly deterred by Nicola’s stubborn nature. Though Nicola was absolutely thrilled about Howie’s recent advance to crutches; she still worried about Lucy. The reality that she had only a small bit of savings to fall back gave her constant worries. She still refused to let Howie advance her any sort of cash. She had supported Lucy and herself for so many years without any financial help. She hadn’t even let her mother loan her some needed money. So, to actually consider depending on another offered a crushing blow to her pride.

“Sorry, Decker,” Nicola sighed, trying to push the thoughts away. She glanced toward the b beautiful home and beeped her horn several times for Jamila and Raegan. Silence surrounded the two friends as they stared at the door, waiting for the other two women to appear. Slightly impatient, Nicola began to tap the beat of the current song playing against her steering wheel. The cloud over her head just wouldn’t seem to lift to give her the opportunity to enjoy the company. “I’m just not in the mood, I guess.”

“Howie’s on his crutches now, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he’s getting stronger every day. The leg exercises I have him doing in the water along with the bar system are working fantastically. He’s even insisted on trying to walk several times a day with the bar system. He’ll be running in no time,” Nicola enthused, at least grateful for his recovery. Thinking about Howie’s progress added a small ray of light into her otherwise dreary existence.

“But?” Hollie immediately charged, knowing exactly what was plaguing her friend’s heart. Nicola may have run from Dr. Jacobs’ offer, but he was far from gone. Every conscious thought held him name somewhere in Nicola’s mind, giving him more satisfaction than she would ever realize. It made Hollie sick to think Nicola allowed the man to escape with no severe thrashing. He deserved to be punished, but Nicola still did nothing.

“But what?” Nicola countered, feigning innocence.

Hollie wouldn’t beat around the bush. Her personality allowed no such conflict. So, Hollie turned in her seat and immediately fired with the passion she was known for, “Why don’t you just press charges on him and be done with it? Honestly, Cola-Pop! Sexual harassment is nothing to scoff at! He can’t get away with this shit. It’s ridiculous what he did to you!”

“I can’t—”

“Why?”

“You don’t understand, Hollie. As much as anyone hates to admit it, the male perspective still largely dominates medicine. And if I take this to any kind of trial, it’ll be my word against his. Could you imagine how much my name would be dragged through the mud? They’d have this big time physician with expensive lawyers against a weak physical therapist that hardly has any means to support herself and her daughter? I’d lose pitifully and I could lose Lucy, too. I’d rather find another job and forget about what happened.”

“But—”

“Hey, Nicola! Ready for lunch?” Raegan called brightly, running up to the vehicle with Jamila at her side. She excitedly tapped on the hood of the car, causing the two inside to jump with surprise. Raegan’s light blue orbs twinkled excitedly as she slid into the backseat with Jamila, obviously eager to take on the new festivities. Neither visitor seemed wise to the brief exchange between friends. They simply glanced at one another to drop any remnants of their argument, but Hollie made a mental note to finish the conversation later.

“I’m definitely ready for lunch. I haven’t ate a thing all day,” Nicola agreed.

“Me either, so let’s not fool ourselves with the stupid, I’m too fat I better have a salad jargon! I want a big plate of grease and fat!” Raegan enthused with a whoop.

“Um…okay,” Nicola laughed, turning to glance in her back seat. “It’s great to see both of you again.”

“Likewise,” Jamila answered, noticing Raegan mentally preparing her order at the restaurant. Jamila stifled a laugh of amusement as she glanced to the unknown occupant in the front seat. “But who’s that?”

“Oh! I’m so sorry! This is my friend, Hollie. We went to high school together. Hollie, this is Raegan, Brian’s girlfriend. And that is Jamila, AJ’s girlfriend.”

“Hey!” Hollie greeted with a bold smile, immediately reaching to firmly shake both girls’ hands. Nicola had to laugh at Hollie’s abrupt sweetness. Hollie never judged anyone till they had a fair chance at a good impression. They could be the worst person in the world, but Hollie would save the bitter encounters till the second engagement.

“Hello,” the girls replied together, exchanging kind smiles.

“Wow, do all the Backstreet girlfriends learn how to simultaneously greet outsiders?” Hollie teased, glancing to Nicola with amusement.

“Yes, but we’re still waiting for Nicola to sign the agreement,” Raegan scorned playfully.

“I think I lost it…” Nicola trailed thoughtfully.

“More like she burned it!” Hollie shot.

“Hey! Stop going through my trash Hollie Stephanie Baker!” Nicola scolded.

“Wait, stop the presses, this is the Hollie, isn’t it?” Raegan blurted as her memory charged with a random surge. Jamila glanced between Nicola and Hollie before her own dark eyes lit up with remembrance. A knowing smile curved to Raegan’s lips as she enthusiastically poked Jamila’s ribs.

“What’s the Hollie? Am I being manufactured?” Hollie questioned in confusion.

“Yeah, that’s the Hollie,” Nicola confirmed, ignoring Hollie’s questions.

“The Hollie that stole Kevin’s heart?” Jamila confirmed with query.

“How’d you know?” Hollie laughed, finally realizing how close the Backstreet girlfriends really were between themselves and the boys. It seemed they shared every nugget of knowledge that had anything to do with anyone within the inner circle.

“Alex, Brian, Nick, and Howie informed us,” Jamila answered with a nod of confirmation.

“That’s the main topic of conversation,” Nicola agreed, knowing that everything was smoothly coming together between the girls. Confident at the newly bonded friendship, Nicola started to pull away from the home.

“Not to mention Kevin, too!” Raegan chirped, loving the scandalous nature of the boys’ love lives.

“Wait, Kevin, too? What’s he say about me?” Hollie immediately asked with interest, turning in her seat. A large smile curved against her glossed lips as her gray eyes twinkled with obvious delight. It was still too obvious that Hollie had a strong interest in Kevin. Nicola gathered that much ever sense the couple locked into a smolder stare. Yet, Hollie still made no advances to call Kevin, which probably would drive any woman insane. Yet, Hollie was extremely collected as she baited her new interest, knowing how to succeed in the game of love.

“Oh, Lord, here we go,” Nicola groaned playfully, thinking her friend might propel out of the car if she didn’t get some much-needed information quickly.

“Hey!” Hollie pouted for a moment, pushing on Nicola’s shoulder before turning back. Her mind obviously targeted on the information regarding Kevin. “So? Really? What does he say?”

“So…” Raegan trailed playfully. “Actually, he’s crazy about you. He brings your name up with every single one of us at least twice a day if not more. Says you’re an absolutely gorgeous woman and have an alluring mystery. He thinks about you every night and day. Says your completely intoxicating.”

“Intoxicating?” Hollie asked with a beautiful smile.

“Oh, yes, he’s got it bad for you,” Jamila agreed.

“BEAUTIFUL!” Hollie squealed in delight, sliding down in her seat with joy.

“Beautiful? What the Hell is that supposed to mean? You haven’t even called him! Let alone have you had a first date! You’re practically ignoring the man and driving him crazy in the process. How is it beautiful?” Nicola challenged.

“It’s all part of the game, Baby. All part of the game…”

*~*~*

“Okay! Break out the bottle of champagne! This is a perfect place for her office!” Howie breathed with exhilaration, staring around in an awed wonder. He found his energy zipping through his brain’s synapses like a heavy flood as he slowly crutched through the empty building. He had forced his friends to travel all through Orlando in search of the perfect place. They wanted no realtor to bother their searches, so they simply set off on their own. Hours had passed and various buildings had blinked by. The friends were starting to dismiss all hope of Howie finding perfection, until now.

“What all is she planning on having in the clinic?” Brian asked with his usually curious nature, wanting to assure that Howie indeed made the right selection. He closely followed Howie down the unfamiliar hallway, making sure Howie showed no signs of distress. Everyone had been completely shocked to see Howie on crutches that day, but couldn’t imagine a better way to celebrate. After they were done shopping for buildings, Howie had promised to take them out for dinner, which sold Nick immediately.

“She doesn’t exactly know,” Howie remarked vaguely, opening the door to the last room at the end of the hallway. He could already envision the wonders of aquatic therapy in this vastly large room. Howie smiled, remembering many fond times he spent in the privacy of water therapy. He envisioned Nicola’s perfect form sweetly nestled within her favorite bikini, alluring him with her encouraging smiles. When he started to complain, she would entice him to walk further by slowing peeling off her bathing suit. The erotic nature of their therapy sessions always encouraged Howie to do better. Of course, she wouldn’t do that type of care with any other client, but Howie knew to spend a great deal of time created her aquatic therapy because it was still her favorite form of therapy.

“That doesn’t make any sense, D. How can she not know what she wants?” AJ asked accusingly.

“Because it’s a surprise?” Howie replied with question, not really comprehending the fault.

“So, wait, you’re making this building for her as a surprise? Do you really expect her to quit her job? How do you know she doesn’t really love her other job?” Kevin continued, obviously not accepting the mystery.

“It doesn’t matter, Kevin.”

“How can it not matter? You’re forcing her to quit by buying this—”

“I’m not forcing her to do anything. She was fired—”

“What?” AJ choked in surprise. “How the Hell did she get fired? She was the best damn therapist you ever had. Everyone we talked to recommended her and only her! How could she possibly get fired with all those fantastic reviews?”

“I…don’t really know… I mean, I know she was fired, but I don’t know why she was fired. She really didn’t give me any details. She was just so upset with the entire situation that we couldn’t talk to her about it. But, she told me that she always wanted her own clinic, but she never had the funds to do so. And, since she’s done so much for me and because I love her so much, I’m fixing this up for her.”

“Kinky,” Nick growled suddenly with an amused smile.

“Huh?” Howie replied with question.

“D, think about it, did she ever date the boss?”

“Why the Hell are you asking that?” AJ snorted.

“Well, think about it! She’s just suddenly fired out of nowhere and won’t tell you why she got her ass booted? That’s just a classic scenario! She probably had a hot and heavy affair with the boss. Then Howie comes along and she has to break it off with Mr. Boss. He gets pissed that she’s deserting him for Mr. Pop Star—”

“Shut up, Nick,” Kevin groaned immediately, refusing to let Nick finish his absurd idea. Nick looked to comment again, but Kevin ended it by lightly smacking him upside the head. Nick whimpered in surprise, pulling back with question. Kevin glared for a moment before giving his explanation, “You watch too much Lifetime.”

“No! Not Lifetime! I watch the Playboy Channel!” Nick fired with disgust.

“You sick bastard,” Brian laughed.

“What? They have great documentaries and stirring dramas,” Nick defended.

Kevin groaned at the change in conversation, realizing the boys would argue for hours over the added benefit of having the Playboy Channel. Listening to them bicker, Kevin turned to Howie in hopes to change the subject. “I think it’s a really good idea, Howie. Nicola’s going to love this.”

“Thanks!” Howie beamed.

“So, what’s the plan?” AJ asked, trying to ignore Nick’s list of why Playboy should be watched by every American for educational purposes.

“Well, I already hired some contractors. They’ll get the layout of this place then come over tomorrow. They’ll be doing all the body repair and changes. Like installing pools, Jacuzzis, private offices, and everything. Then I’m hoping my friends will help me decorate—”

“Wait, what exactly are you saying?” Nick asked, finally pulling away from his argument. He had only caught the last portion of the conversation, because it involved him and work.

“Howie’s about to make us pack mules,” Kevin grumbled.

“Not pack mules, well, okay, you’d have to help bring stuff in.”

“Exactly!”

“But I really meant more as decorators—”

“Oh, so now we’re Queer Eyes for the Straight Guy?” Kevin accused.

“Hollie’s helping?” Howie offered meekly, knowing he couldn’t win.

“I’d love to help,” Kevin quickly announced with a silly smile, causing the boys to laugh at his quick decision change because of a woman.