- Text Size +
Chapter 49 – Not Even a Matter of Choice

Nicola trembled furiously as she folded her clothing to pack back into her suitcase, dreading the upcoming hours as if it were the ultimate Armageddon. Her flight for Orlando would depart in a few hours, causing Nicola to become furiously queasy. She hadn’t slept in two days since Dr. Jacobs’ threat. He continued to haunt her mind, sending cryptic messages by bellhops and phones to taunt her into compliance. He was purely insane with jealousy, frightening Nicola tremendously.

Dr. Jacobs wanted her to destroy her relationship with Howie and Nicola couldn’t refuse, because her daughter remained in the delicate balance. But, when the deed was done, she would be transferred to his new clinic, no questions asked and her salary would increase two fold. Lucy would be well taken care of with her increase in salary and she would remain safe in the arms of her mother. Also, there were no sexual encounters needed, because Darcy somehow managed to maintain the hunger. But, she would still be his pet and slave.

But what choice did she really have? Dr. Jacobs was a powerful man with many connections. He could trample her within a moment and without a heart. He would strip her of everything if Darcy reported the deed undone on Monday. And then Lucy would be ripped from her embrace permanently. She would have Howie and his money, but no daughter. And, Lucy would always remain number one in her life. Lucy had to come before Howie. Lucy had to come before Nicola’s foolish love life.

“Oh, Howie,” Nicola heaved, grasping the frame on the nightstand. Her bottom lip quivered as tears finally began to pour from her beautiful emerald eyes. Howie had packed the photograph so she wouldn’t be too lonely during the weekend nights. And it was her favorite photograph of what would be their happy family.

“I love you so much, Howie. I really do,” Nicola sobbed, brushing her fingertips against the glossy image of Howie. It was the first professional of Howie, Nicola, and Lucy. They were outside on a large bolder, Howie holding Nicola as she held Lucy. Howie was dressed in a light sand polo shirt with black slacks, his arms curled tightly around Nicola’s waist as he gently rested his chin against her shoulder. Nicola, dressed in a pale yellow sundress, wrapped her arms tenderly around Lucy’s waist, resting her chin against the top of Lucy’s head. And, Lucy, grinning proudly, wore a matching pale yellow sundress with her light curls tied in two braids. Bright smiles’ exploded on each of their faces, but Howie was truly the happiest. Nicola and Lucy had given him a reason to live again.

But now she would break his heart.

It would just happen and life would move on.

And he would never know why.

“I am so sorry, Howie…”

*~*~*


“Nervous, D?” Kevin questioned, standing beside Howie as Nicola’s flight arrived. He offered a bemused smirk while Howie’s dark brows furled with disappointment. However, Kevin simply laughed. It was hard not to be joyous at this specific moment, waiting at the terminal as Nicola’s plane unloaded. All their family and friends were waiting at Howie’s home with a surprise engagement party planned for their return, only Kevin and Hollie had helped Howie to the airport. Not that he needed much help, because Howie was actually standing on his own two feet, without the need for his crutches, though he brought them to increase the surprise when he let them fall to the ground while proposing. It seemed surreal, because no one ever assumed they would be at this point – Howie making a fully recovery from a hellish nightmare that had held them for so long. And now, with faith behind him, he was preparing to marry the woman that made everything possible.

“Don’t tease Daddy!” Lucy threatened, hopping down from Hollie’s arms to skip toward Howie. “He’s asking Mommy a very special question!”

“That’s right, Sweet Pea,” Howie breathed, trying to gather his courage. He had spent the entire weekend planning what he thought was the perfect speech. He wanted this moment to be the most memorable milestone in Nicola’s life. She had taught him so much during the accident. But, most importantly, she loved him unconditionally.

“And what important question is that, Lucy-Lu?” Hollie questioned, gently running her fingers through Lucy’s blonde locks.

“If we can live with Daddy,” she answered simply.

“Well, you would think you already do with the number of times we catch Howie just before he gets ready to sleep with M—”

“Hush,” Howie shushed, glancing toward Hollie with a warning glare.

“Well, Mom always said why buy the cow if you can have the milk for free?”

“Because I love the cow—” Howie groaned as Hollie and Kevin started to laugh. “Not funny!”

“We know, you think Cola Pop is absolutely beautiful,” Hollie promised, not wanting to flabbergast him before the important proposal. “And she’s definitely not a cow.”

“Must you always make my life a living—”

“MOMMY!”

The breath caught in Howie’s throat as he heard Lucy’s excited voice declare Nicola’s presence. He turned from his friends to catch Nicola’s brilliant smile as Lucy jumped into her arms. Her reddish blonde curls were tied into a high bun with several curls falling already. She wore pair of light olive Capri pants and a white button down shirt. She was a vision of loveliness, even in the most simple of outfits. And, just looking at her, Howie knew that his life would be perfect from the moment she agreed to be his wife.

“Mommy! You’re home!” Lucy breathed excitedly, furiously kissing her mother’s cheeks.

“Yes, ma’am, Mommy is home!” Nicola agreed with a soft laugh, kissing the side of Lucy’s curls.

“And Daddy has an important question to ask you!” Lucy continued.

“Oh?” Nicola murmured in surprise, her smile quickly fading as Howie stepped toward her. She had honestly been dreading this moment since Dr. Jacobs threat. The plane ride had been highly stressful, resulting in a mixture of tears and angry sobs hidden in the cramped bathroom. She didn’t know exactly how she would propose the breakup, but wanted it to be quick and simple. Hopefully painless. But she knew better than to wish for that.

“Are you going to let me ask the question, Sweet-Pea?” Howie chuckled, reaching to gently tug on an unruly lock. Taking several steps while allowing the crutches to fall limply to his sides to express a point.

“Sorry, Daddy,” Lucy apologized, affectionately leaning her head against Nicola’s shoulder.

“God… Howie, you’re walking…” Nicola murmured in amazement. She wanted to reach out and bring him close to her body for a sweeping kiss of pride, but kept that excitement maintained inside her bleeding heart. She blinked back several rounds of painful tears, trying to remain strong as Howie continued to smile, oblivious to her heart wrenching news.

“Yeah,” Howie chuckled with pride, demonstrating his ability to walk back and forth just a few short feet before returning to place his hands against her shoulders. “I wanted it to be a surprise for when you got home.”

“Well, it’s definitely a surprise…”

“A good surprise?”

“A good surprise…”

“Can I make it a great surprise?”

“What do you mean—”

“There’s a piece of art in your home that has the Footprints poem scripted along a single pair of footprints along this beautiful beach during a sunset. It says that God always carries us through the worst of times, no matter what hardships, He will always be there. But, as foolish as it was, I truly did abandoned God when I had my accident. I was angry at Him for taking away my entire life. But, then He gave me you, and you carried me through that horrible storm. I am so grateful for everything you’ve done for me. You showed me the world in a different light and gave me back my life. And…” Howie let his voice trail off as he slowly kneeled on one knee, revealing a gorgeous white gold, diamond ring. “I love you, Nicola. And I want you to be my wife, forever and always. So, will you do me the honor of giving me your hand in marriage?”

“God… Howie… No…” Nicola murmured in shock, pressing a hand to her now throbbing forehead. She felt the tears burst forth as she swallowed the hottest lump growing at the middle of her tightening throat. She wanted more than anything to say yes, but quickly remembered Dr. Jacobs’ angry threats. She couldn’t tempt fate and pushed away the never ending love she felt for Howie. Lucy had to come first.

“Nicola—”

“I can’t marry you and we need to stop seeing each other.”

“What? Why?”

“It was a business relationship and it really can’t go any further. I’m sorry for the pain and confusion I caused, but am thankful that you’re completely healed. You’re destined to do great things with your life, Howie. It was great working with you.” Then, with her fake declaration made, Nicola hurriedly turned from him to conceal her burning tears. She hurried away from the lobby, unable to witness the damage she had created.

And everything went black in Howie’s world.