- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm quite sorry that it took so long for me to finish the story. It was one of my very first stories that I actually worked quite hard on creating. One that I was very proud of. One that I'm very sad to see end. But, thank you for all the reviews and thank you for being so patient. Hopefully, you love this ending as much as I do.
Chapter 55 – Epilogue

“Well, its official, she’s absolutely gorgeous,” Howie announced with a winsome smile as he crossed the warm beach to his beautiful family, having said quick goodbyes to Hollie and Kevin who were lounging lazily inside the lavish beach house they had rented for several weeks. It was tradition for the men to rent a beach house for chance at freedom and a bit of a vacation. But, this time, Kevin and Howie had decided to take their loved ones as Brian, AJ, and Nick made other plans for their vacations. Not that Howie minded as he glanced out to the small private beach, searching for his family. It gave him a chance to be selfish with Nicola. To celebrate his victory over the car accident that could have very well claimed his life over a year ago. But, he was healthy with only a small limp to show for the accidents. And it was truly surreal when he hurried along the hot, white sand, standing above Nicola, Lucy, and the newest addition to the Doroughs – Maria Yvonne Dorough. The little girl, now nine months old, was named Maria after Nicola’s mother and Yvonne after his late sister. She had been a miraculous birth, especially considering that her arrival had been unplanned. In fact, the pregnancy had been turbulent, Howie working so hard in therapy to overcome the damage that Darcy and Dr. Jacobs had caused. But he had prevailed for the sake of his wife, his daughter, and his unborn child. And, he had stood right at Nicola’s bedside, coaching her through the experience until Maria was nestled sweetly in their arms.

“I think Daddies tend to be a bit biased,” Nicola advised as Lucy wordlessly crawled over her legs to give Howie a spot on the large picnic blanket. Glancing up from her sleeping youngster, she watched Lucy grasp a pale and bucket, hurrying over to the pile of wet sand she had been collecting. Though halfway through her romp to the sand, she hurried back to throw her arms around Howie while smacking a kiss to his cheek. Nicola had to laugh, Lucy was indeed a Daddy’s little girl. Howie was perfection in Lucy’s eyes and Nicola agreed with the assumption, scooting closer to him as he sent Lucy off to play. Reaching to kiss the side of his face, she offered him their lightly swaddled infant.

“So, you don’t think she’s gorgeous?” Howie questioned, helping the infant pull the blanket away from her face as she released a small yawn at the transfer, turning to curl closer to her father’s bare chest. It always amazed him to watch her as she grew into a charming little girl. And, though he was partially biased to his daughters, he knew they were both breathtaking. Lucy with her straight platinum locks and large teal eyes, small and petite, but the smartest child in her class. And Maria was a small infant with a round, cherubic features, quiet and content with the world as long as she was being cuddled. She had no hair yet, which was normal considering her mother and older sister were bald till they were at least a year of age. And, she had the most stunning pair of warm, rich honey colored irises. She was perfection. Lucy was perfection.

“No, Mommies aren’t as biased as Daddies, so, I’ll settle for radiant,” Nicola laughed as she kissed his cheek, tucking her chin against his shoulder so she could watch Maria as well as Lucy. She always warmed at the image of her husband holding their young daughter. The ease of paternal love that flowed from Howie was one of his best qualities. Why she had been so eager to marry him when he proposed for the second time. And why Lucy had shouted ‘I do’ for Nicola at their small wedding ceremony upon the beach during sunset.

“I suppose I could settle for radiant,” Howie mused, leaning to kiss his wife quite tenderly.

“But I’m prettier!” Lucy declared from amongst her large pile of sand, suddenly caught within her parents’ conversation instead of building a dream castle for her princesses. “But only cause I got hair!”

“That was beyond random, Sweet Pea…” Howie glanced to Nicola with an amused smile and also for confirmation, though he was surprised by the serious cast to her beautiful facial features. “Is baldness is a factor of prettiness?”

Nicola shrugged with a soft smile. “She has a point.”

“So, if I was bald?”

“If you were bald what?”

“What would happen to us if I was bald?” Howie ventured.

“Nothing,” Nicola laughed with surprise, rubbing his shoulder. “You’re the father of my children. I wouldn’t run away because you needed a few hair plugs.”

“Then when would you run away?”

“What kind of question is that?

“When I go through my midlife crisis, will you leave?”

“No, I’ll help you pick out a pretty car and a toupee.”

“What about when I retire from the music business?”

“I retire with you.”

“What if I grew terribly ill, would you leave me on my deathbed?”

Never--”

“But--”

“Baby, I loved you when your heart was paralyzed with fear more than your legs were paralyzed with your accident. I never stopped loving you even when I turned away from you. And that mistake is something I’m going to regret for the rest of my life. But I’m never going to make that mistake twice. Trust me, come Hell or high water, you’re mine. You’re always going to be mine. Always,” Nicola enthused softly, hushing his doubts as she leaned to affectionately kiss his neck. “I could never part with you.”

“True…” Howie trailed as he shifted Maria into the car seat tucked safely underneath a large beach umbrella. His dark eyes showed signs of security with her statement as he grinned. Turning on the blanket, he wrapped his arms around Nicola’s bare midsection, pulling her down and tucking her within his embrace as they both faced the ocean and their eldest’s creation. Resting his chin in the crook of her neck, he sighed happily. “And I did keep you through your pregnancy...”

Nicola’s eyes widened in shock as she immediately turning onto her opposite side to face him. “What?”

“You pregnant was not--”

“You better watch what you say ‘cause third time’s a charm and I’m sure it’ll come back to bite you in the backside, Howie Dorough!”

“Third time’s a charm for what?”

“For a miserably pregnant wife.”

“Third time, but we only have… Nic, what are you talking about?”

“Well,” Nicola trailed with a proud smile, reaching to brush her hands down the sides of his face. “I’m no nurse or physician--”

“But a damn good physical therapist--”

“Who can take a home pregnancy test.”

“Oh, Nic… You’re saying… We’re… Again… Really?”

“I’m three months along and it’s a boy.”

“We’re naming him Howie Jr.!” Lucy giggled.

“Hardly,” Nicola laughed. “But I don’t mind Howard or Dwaine in his name.”

“Wait, we didn’t find out Maria was a girl till the fourth--”

“I don’t need medical confirmation, Baby.”

“Well, how do you know then?”

“Because I just know. Just like I knew I loved you the moment I met you. Just like I knew you would wait for me when I was scared to love you. Just like I knew you would be a terrific father for Lucy. Just like I knew we’d find our way back to each other. Just like I knew God would take care of you through both accidents.”

“And now?” Howie inquired softly.

“I just know that we’re going to have everything our hearts desire. A little baby boy in six months that is a mirror image of his Daddy with two gorgeous big sisters to take care of him and all the love in the world that any of us is ever going to need.”

“What more could we possibly ask for if you know all that?” Howie murmured as he reached to kiss her softly.

“Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Absolutely nothing, because we have each other and that’s all we could ever ask for,” Nicola confirmed, reaching to kiss him once more before Lucy tugged them off to spend the rest of the day frolicking amongst the cool waves, thanking God for their chance to live life to the very fullest, basking in the warmth of their romance. The type of romance that would linger in the sweetness of eternity, forever destined for greatness because they knew how to overcome the burdening disasters together. Hand in hand. Heart to heart.