- Text Size +
Howie sighed hatefully when he slowly wheeled himself toward the kitchen. Somehow, Howie had managed to stumble into his wheelchair from the bed in search of food. He was tired of being in bed without company, although he loathed the heavy chair that limited his physical abilities. However, the chair wasn’t entirely what was plaguing him. His physical therapist had stayed away from him for four entire days. Howie was becoming fearful about the gnawing words she had hissed toward him in the heat of anger. True to Nicola’s word, Howie’s body had become stiffer than before. Howie could barely raise his arms above his head without crying out in agony. Howie was even sore in places that he had never thought could be sore.

When Howie slowly wheeled himself into the vast kitchen, all time seemed to stop for his sister. Pollyanna had offered to stay in Howie’s home while he was healing. Her parents were too stressed to deal with the situation and Howie’s other siblings were busy with families of their own. Pollyanna expected that she would be waiting on Howie at his bedside every day that she stayed. However, when she saw Howie slowly wheeling himself to the kitchen table, she dropped her box of cereal in shock. Pollyanna expected that she would be waiting on Howie at his bedside every day that she stayed. However, when she saw Howie slowly wheeling himself to the kitchen table, she dropped her box of cereal in shock. The cereal spilled across the floor and flew up into Pollyanna’s hair, causing Howie to offer a vague smirk.

“What are you… I mean… You’re up… I, wow!” Pollyanna gushed, unable to finish any of the sentences she prepared. Howie nodded with another small smile, causing Pollyanna to squeal. She quickly stepped over the spilled cereal and reached Howie. She bent down and layered her younger brother’s face with warm kisses. “What are you doing up?” she finally squealed.

“It’s my house, Polly,” Howie replied somewhat bitterly.

“Don’t get defensive, Howard,” Pollyanna immediately chided. “You haven’t been out of that bed since your first physical therapy training. You’ve locked yourself away. I have every right to ask why you’re out of bed.”

Howie winced, knowing Pollyanna was right. “I was tired of sleeping, you know? My bedroom only has so many views. I was bored out of my mind, Polly. So, I want to come join you for breakfast. Do you think you could make me something? I’m seriously hungry,” Howie explained politely, carefully pulling himself to the table and locking the wheelchair.

“I’d be happy to make you something!” Pollyanna enthused. “What would you like?”

“Pancakes sound good to me.”

“Sure, sweetheart,” Pollyanna answered. She walked to the cabinets, quickly gathering the needed supplies for Howie’s pancakes. She was deliriously happy that Howie had actually crawled out of bed. Their mother would absolutely be thrilled with the new results. This was the break in Howie’s coldness that the family had been praying for. She hoped this would end his tantrums and allow him to see the good things Nicola was trying to provide. Pollyanna glanced back to see Howie rubbing his arms. His face was contorted in a look of anguish, causing Pollyanna to narrow her eyes in suspicion. “You okay, baby brother?”

“What?” Howie groaned, unable to shrug his shoulders in question. He felt defeated as he laid his throbbing arms on the table. He hurt worse than when he decided to get out of bed. He was beginning to understand that something terribly wrong was occurring in his body, but he was afraid to admit that his physical therapist might actually be right. He had acted so ill toward the woman, who only wanted to offer assistance to his dilemma.

“I asked if anything was wrong,” Pollyanna repeated.

“Polly?” Howie trailed.

“What’s the matter? Are you having more pain than the usual?” Pollyanna guessed, seating herself beside Howie. She watched him wince in recognition and draw a puzzled look across his silent features. She had found the exact source of Howie’s somber attitude. She reached out to rub Howie’s arm gently. “Don’t look so surprised. Your physical therapist, Nicola Tilley, spoke with us after you practically threw her out of the appointment.”

“Polly, I do feel bad about that. Don’t rub it in. It’s like pouring salt into an open wound.”

“It’s the truth.”

“I know, but what did she tell you before she left?”

“Nicola explained to us that without your therapy that you’ll start to become worse. Not using your muscles causes them to shrivel up, stiffen, and die. Without using them, you’ll soon loose complete control of muscles that you had been able to use and you won’t be able to move at all. She also said you need to keep the muscle tone in your legs in case some medical miracle comes around and gives you the ability to walk again. Then she mentioned that laying in the same position all day with cause the breakdown of skin. You know, bed sores? And if the bed sores get infected there are chances of death or amputation, depending on where the sore is.”

“Do you believe her?” Howie asked.

“Of course! Why would Nicola lie about something like that?” Pollyanna gasped.

Howie sighed with defeat. He bowed his head, allowing his short curls to fall across his forehead. He began to feel guilty about lashing out at the innocent woman. She had just wanted to help his situation. She had done nothing ill toward him. “I was a complete asshole, for lack of better words, wasn’t I, Polly?”

“Honestly, yes.”

“I screwed up,” Howie complained.

“Oh, Howie! It’s truly fixable! Nicola has been calling us every day to make sure that you’re still doing okay. She tells us every day to remind you that all you need to do is call her. If you call her, she’ll be over here as fast as she possibly can. She’s so sweet about it. She seems sad when she finds out you were still locking yourself away in your room. Mom is already smitten with her. It’s cute.”

“She wants me to call?” Howie asked in awe. His eyes sparked with some hidden emotion that Pollyanna had never seen before. Howie was genuinely shocked at the news, but also deeply touched. Nicola still called to check on him every day, even with him treating her so coldly. He barely knew the woman and yet she had already touched his soul in a way Darcy never had.

“Yes, she left you her home phone number to reach her.”

“Home number?” Howie choked.

“Yes, she was afraid that the office might misplace your message if you decided to call. Nicola does really care about your well-being. Howie, you need to give the girl another chance at helping you. She seems like a great person to know and be around.”

“And she’s beautiful, too,” Howie blurted quietly.

“What did you say?” Pollyanna gasped, obviously overhearing Howie’s private comment.

Howie’s cheeks immediately burned with embarrassment. He hadn’t meant to say that aloud, but the damage had already occurred. He couldn’t deny his instant attraction to Nicola’s appearance. She was a beautiful woman with her long strawberry and honey colored curls tied back into a bun compliment her emerald and gold eyes. She was Howie’s height with slim hips and an ample amount of cleavage. The freckles sprinkled against her cheeks made the gold flecks in her eyes dance when she smiled at Howie. He couldn’t help noticing these things about Nicola. It was too tempting to stare at her.

“Howie?” Pollyanna asked with a smile.

“Don’t start, Polly. I said she was pretty, but that doesn’t mean anything special. I’m in love with Darcy,” Howie quickly objected, knowing exactly where Pollyanna was traveling in the conversation. His heart would not be so easily fooled by his sister.

“Darcy?” Pollyanna scoffed bitterly. “You mean the woman that hasn’t been here to visit with you for more than a week? The girl who never calls to see that you’re still breathing? The girl who tells you that she’s so busy? The girl who is too busy to even spend time with her hurt boyfriend? You’re trying to tell me that you love her?”

“Pollyanna, don’t start. Darcy is busy with those fashion sets. It’s not her fault. She does have a life that doesn’t revolve around me directly.”

“A life that doesn’t revolve around you even when you need her the most?”

“Polly!”

“Okay, okay, I get the point. Will you call?”

“Call? Call who?”

“Nicola,” Pollyanna growled.

“Oh, her, you want me to look like an ass?”

“Howie, you’ve always been an ass.”

“Polly…”

“You need her.”

“I know I do.”

“So, will you call Nicola?”

“Start my pancakes and we’ll see.”