- Text Size +
Kendall rolled down the window, "Andrew!"

"Kendall, is that you?"

"It's me."

She opened the car door and stepped out, overwhelmed with a warmth she hadn't felt in years. Andrew, her oldest brother, seemed taller.

He laid the shotgun across the hood of the car, scooped her into his arms and spun her in a circle. "Where have you been?"

"Around, Andrew. Just around." Relief spread through her, her heart flexed in her chest and she released a swell of teras.

"Mom's going to be glad to see you. She hasn't been well." He set her down.

She gave Andrew a shake of her head, warning him they weren't alone. "I want you to meet my...boyfriend." She couldn't believe what she'd just said, but if Brian wanted to fit in he needed a cover.

Andrew leaned in the door and shook Brian's hand. "Nice to meet you."

"You, too."

It had been years since she'd talked to Andrew. She could only hope he and Brian hadn't crossed paths before tonight.

"Come up to the house."

"Jump in."

Andrew opened the back door, set to get in the car, but stopped when Kaden sat up. "Mommy, where are we?"

Her nerves stretched. "Scoot over and let your Uncle Andrew in."

"Uncle Andrew?" He obeyed and slid into the center of the seat.

"Why didn't you tell us, Kendall?"

"I wanted to. It just got easier to leave it unsaid, then the accident..."

Brian felt like a kid eavesdropping from behind the curtain. Accident? What accident? Were they talking about Natalie and Megan? Curiosity seared a trail from his mind to his heart. How was Kendall involved? Was she so repulsed by what her family had done she'd disowned them? He shifted in his seat, wanting to take Andrew McKinley apart piece by piece to get the truth, but he needed evidence or a confession. Solid proof they were involved in the hit-and-run. Legalities cooled his hot head. He'd bide his time until they confessed. This was the perfect spot to be in.

Andrew closed the car door and Brian edged forward, glad when the road dropped open and turned to blacktop. It was a contrast he hadn't expected. The more he knew about them the less it made sense. A family of car thieves in the middle of nowhere, a secret entrance into their lair...what next?

They rounded the corner and he stopped the car. Like a throwback to midieval times, a massive stone house sat perched on a small knoll. Warm light glowed from tall windows, inviting him in, in a strange and intriguing way.

"Wow." He let the word slip out and stepped on the gas. He knew they'd been successful, but this was success times ten. The car lights swept past neatly shaped trees and chopped grass.

"What do you think?" Kendall asked.

He shot a glance her way, but he couldn't be honest with her. Dirty money still spent. "Great place." He pulled up in front of the house and shut off the engine. "Who lives here?"

"My mom and Andrew." Kendall opened the door and stepped out of the car, stretched and opened the back door. "Come on, Kade. It's time to meet your grandma. I think you'll like her."

Kaden scrambled out after Andrew and took his mother's hand.

Brian zoomed in on Kendall's expression in the glow of the gargantuan light fixtures on either side of a double-doored stone archway. She stood very still. He saw her shoulders rise and fall along with her breath, as if entering would signify some sort of surrender. What war raged inside her? What secrets kept her rooted to the spot, afraid to enter and afraid not to?

"Come on, Kendall. It's cool out here. Let's go inside." Taking her hand, he led her up the steps to the front door.

Andrew moved around them and bumped into Brian. "Sorry. I always miss that step."

"No problem."

He made the landing and opened the door. "Mom." His voice echoed against the high ceiling of the foyer.

Brian led Kendall and Kaden over the threshold and closed the door. A clap like thunder echoed through the house. He felt as if he'd been pushed into the past. They'd stepped into a sixteenth-century fortress equipped with twenty-first-century stuff. Creepy.

"You'll have to excuse my mother, she has a flair for drama. She wants to scare you with a first impression you'll never forget, but she's harmless."

Kaden moved behind Kendall, wrapped his arms around one of her legs and peered out at the massive interior of the home, fixated on the full suit of armor next to a narrow trestle table.

Brian smiled down at him hoping to offer some assurance that everything was cool. There weren't any black knights behind the potted plants ready to ambush them.

"Mom, it's Kendall. She's here." Andrew moved into the great room.

From the back of the house a clatter of glass smashing against the tile set Brian's nerves on edge.

"Come on, Ken. Mom's not doing well."

"What do you mean, not well?"

Brian heard Kendall's soft cry and resisted the desire to comfort her.

"She has Alzheimer's. Early stages."

Kaden suddenly changed alliances and wrapped his arms around Brian's leg. His eyes grew to the size of silver dollars as he stared up at Brian.

Brian scooped him up and felt the child relax in his arms once they moved past the armor. They followed Andrew and Kendall down a long hallway with rooms off both sides. It emptied into a large family room. The kitchen was on the right.

He heard Kendall sigh and watched her approach a tall woman who leaned against the kitchen counter, her face in her hands.

"Mama?" Kendall moved toward her mother, unsure of her mood. She never knew how Geneva McKinley would react. She'd given up on second guesses a long time ago. Hundreds of glass shards surrounded her mother and she tried to remember where the broom was.

In surreal time, Geneva raised her face, her eyes transfixed. "Kendall?"

"Yes, Mom. It's me." She blinked back the tears just behind her lids. "I've come back to ask for your help..."

Geneva's expression was stony. Not even Alzheimer's had ground away the edge of disapproval that always seemed to be there.

"You left this house on your own. And when you did, you left my protection."

"I know." She stepped closer, ignoring the crunch of glass under the soles of her shoes. "I wouldn't ask you for myself. I'm asking for someone else...my son. Your grandson."

Her mom put her hand to her chest, as if her heart was swelling underneath it. She clutched her pink silk blouse, a small sigh escaped between her thin lips. "Grandson?"

"His name is Kaden. He's four." Kendall moved closer, craving her mother's arms.

"Four," Geneva whispered the word. Her eyes caught fire as realization smacked her brain. "Jacob?"

"Yes, Mom. Jake's son needs your protection. Will you help us?"

She fidgeted under her mother's glare of disapproval. She'd always hated Jacob Parker, had warned her to stay away from him.

"Where's the boy?"

"Kaden," Turning to look at them, her gaze met Brian's straight on. Did she see sympathy in the blue depths?

Brian set him down and offered quiet reassurance. The gesture warmed her from the inside out.

"Come and meet your grandma."

With timid steps, Kaden came to her side. "Mom, this is Kaden."

Geneva held out her hand.

"Go ahead." A zing of satisfaction went through her as Kaden put his small hand into Geneva's hand. Generations together. As it should be.

"How do you do, Kaden?"

A smile spread over his lips. In that instant, she knew he would be fine. Geneva was a gruff woman, but behind her dark eyes there was kindness.

"What do you say, I show you where the cookie jar is?"

"Yeah?"

"Right there." She swept her hand toward the counter and a ceramic jar shaped like an apple.

Kaden moved to the counter and put his hands on the edge. He raised onto his tiptoes and reached for the jar, but he was too short.

Kendall caught her mother's expression out of the corner of her eye. She wore a curious smile, one that rivaled the Mona Lisa.

Looking around the kitchen, Kaden spied a step stool in the corner. He went to it and patted the seat, then dragged it over to the counter and climbed onto it. Easily he opened the jar and reached inside to pull out a handful of Oreo cookies. Sitting down, he happily bit into one.

"Looks like he can stay, Kendall. He's a lot like you."

"Yes, he is." She looked at her beautiful son, so proud he'd accomplished the task. Ingenuity had always been a prized McKinley trait. "I need you and Andrew to watch over him...raise him, if I don't come back." Reality settled in her mind. He would be safe here.

In a matter of minutes, Geneva McKinley had undone four years of hard work. Four years of trying to distance herself from her family and their illegal activities. Now she was here, standing in her mother's kitchen asking her to protect him, but if anyone could do it, she could.

Her heart broke like the Oreo cookies Kaden bit into. She was going to have to leave him here. Leave him in the very environment she was trying to escape. A hint of doubt crept into her mind. Maybe she should reconsider.

"He'll be fine."

Andrew's voice cut into her thoughts and pushed her decision back in the other direction. She'd always been able to rely on him. He'd always been there. A stalwart advocate, even against Geneva.

"I know."

Brian watched them. His eyes sharp, interested. Somehow she'd have to keep him at a distance. "We need to go. I can't tell you much--" she pulled out a card "--but here's my cell number if there's a problem and my e-mail address." Her chest tightened around the next question she had to ask. "Is Seth doing his thing in old town?"

Andrew's eyes narrowed. "What do you want with Seth? You should steer clear of him."

"I need to talk to him. Just tell me if he's still over on Wilson."

"Yeah. Same old, same old. Watch your back. Things have changed since the accident." Andrew leaned against the counter. "Does he know about Kaden?"

"No."

"He's blood, Kendall. It's thick."

"I know. Maybe someday."

Brian had moved in beside them and leaned nonchalantly against the counter, mirroring Andrew's easy mood, but she could see him soak up the words of their conversation in cop fashion. Her past was none of his business and she intended to keep it that way.

"We've go to go. Right, Brian?"

He turned a lazy blue gaze on her. "Sure thing, doll."

She looked away, overwhelmed by the easy warmth in his voice. The heat of desire crept up her neck. Brian was dangerous in more ways than one.

"Just let me tell Kaden goodbye."

"No problem."

Kendall moved to where Kaden protected his pile of cookies. "Share?"

"Okay, but Grandma said I can have all I want."

"Yeah. I say you can have six, that's it, and brush those teeth before bed."

"Ah..." he mumbled with his mouth full.

"Give me a hug and don't drive your grandma and Uncle Andrew crazy."

"Okay." He smiled, showing Oreo-stained baby teeth.

Kendall held him close, but holding him didn't feel like enough. She had to be strong. Had to think of him first.

"Kendall, is that you?"

"Yeah, it's me." She took a chance, released Kaden and moved toward her mom.

"How have you been, dear?"

She put her arms around her mother and hugged her tight. "Good."

Geneva patted her back. "Do you want a cookie?"

"No thanks." She stepped back.

"Suit yourself." Geneva put her hand into the cookie jar and pulled out a macaroon. She bit into it, eyeing Kaden with curiosity. "Who are you?"

Kaden glanced up at his grandma and smiled.

"Don't worry. He'll be just fine. Oak Wood has only gotten better with age, just like me."

She hugged her brother. "What about her?"

"Time. She's in the midstage of the disease, her short-term memory is gone, but it's different for every person who gets it."

Brian moved in next to her and took her hand. "Gotta go...it's late."

She waved goodbye and followed him out of the house. The night had grown cold and the smell of rain hung in the air. She wanted it to pour. Nothing like spring rain to wash her emotions away. Her world was inside that house. Safe, but no longer a physical part of her. She ignored the sadness she felt leak into her bloodstream. His safety was more important than a temporary bout of separation anxiety.

It was the right thing to bring him here. Few people knew about the place, still fewer would ever reveal its location. She could focus now. Focus on what lay ahead.

"Kendall...Kendall." Brian's voice interrupted her tangled thoughts.

"It'll be okay." He lifted her chin with his fingers. His gentleness and closeness settled her apprehension. "I know what you just did is eating you alive, but he's safe. Safer than I could have ever made him. I want you to know he'll be home soon. We'll catch these guys. I promise."

Brian's eyes were alive with an intense glimmer. Determination, she guessed. It's what made him magnetic. Made him different from most men she'd met, but something about Brian kept them together. Something strong. Was it need? Did she need him? Yes, she decided. Very aware of his fingers against her skin.

"Let's get out of here." Brian had the urge to move. Restless energy festered inside of him. He was moving closer to the truth.

He took her hand and walked her to the car, ignoring the comfortable fit that existed between them.

He opened Kendall's door and closed it after her. Taking one more look at the fortress she'd called home, he climbed in and pulled away.

The green gate worked the same way from the inside and he was determined to remember how to get to the house.

"Where to?"

"Wherever you want to go. I'm too tired to care."

"We'll get a room."

"Okay."

Silence fell between them and he got into the hypnotic rhythm of the road underneath the tires, but before he had time to get his next move planned, they were at a junction.

"Were you going to ask me for directions, or would that bruise your ego?"

Her question was humorous, but true. He still had no idea where they were.

"Go left."

He turned left, trying to mentally plot the route they'd taken, but things didn't look familiar. It felt like one giant circle. Frustration burrowed just below the surface, ready to break through any moment.

"Go right."

They turned onto a narrow dirt road and crept along until he could see the back-and-forth movement of cars in front of him. A major highway?

"Go right."

"Where are we, Kendall?"

"I'm not going to tell you. I won't betray my family. You think I'm not always aware you're a cop? You think you can flash those lucious blue eyes, smile, and I'll spill my guts?"

He was uncomfortable, as if he'd been turned inside out. All his years of police training tossed out by a beautiful ex-car thief? He was seriously slipping.

"I'm just doing my job. If I don't look at everyone as a suspect, I'm likely to miss something."

"My family is clean. They don't have anything to do with Otis Whittley."

"And you know that for sure?"

"No, I don't. But it's not their style. The McKinley's have a tried and true way of doing things. They'd never resort to murder."

"Really?" He bit back the accusation he'd been about to fling and took a deep breath. Kendall was his pigeon. He couldn't blow it in a fit of ego. "Look, Kendall. I need you. You're a material witness under my protection. You can trust me."

He searched her face in the dimly lit interior of the car, hoping for confirmation that he'd soothed her anger, but she glared at him.

"Trust you? Don't think for one second I don't know what you're up to. I won't let you attack my family." She crossed her arms and sat back.

Brian took his frustration out on the gas pedal. The car shot onto the highway, tires spinning, gravel flying. Arguing with her was taxing. He'd accused her of holding out. But was she?

His heart told him no, but he'd mentally been holding onto the McKinleys. Until that could be proven wrong, he planned to go on believing they'd killed his wife and daughter. He gathered his emotions together and bundled them. He'd have to put his game face on if he wanted the information Kendall had.

"I'm sorry for pushing. I've been doing it for so long, I don't know what else to do." He chanced a sideways glance at her. Her body language had changed. She'd relaxed against the seat, head back, eyes closed. Asleep?

The highway stretched in front of him and a Motel 6 sign loomed in the distance. He was bone tired himself. Brain tired, too. He pulled into the parking lot and shut off the car. His guess put them somewhere on the north side of New Orleans, but he wasn't sure. He couldn't even report where they'd just been. His superior would think he had air for brains when he gave him the details. Brian sighed and climbed out of the unit. They'd get a room for the night and he'd reclaim his bearings in the morning.

The overhead bell on the office door dinged as he pushed into the lobby. A woman sat behind the desk watching a small TV.

"Hello." He moved up to the front desk. "I need a room. Two beds, please."

"We're full."

"Full?" He hadn't noticed many cars in the parking lot.

"You sure about that?"

"Yep. There's another place about a mile down the road. You could stop there."

"I could. Have you got a room with one bed?"

She looked up at him over heavy-rimmed glasses. "Sure. Why didn't you say so in the first place?"

Stifling a you've-go-to-be-kidding-me grunt, he scribbled info on the card she handed him. He wasn't sure how Kendall was going to take the one bed information. "I need some extra blankets."

She stood up and pushed through a swinging door into the back room. A moment later she reappeared with an armload of bedding. "Here you go." She plopped the blankets on the counter. "Will that be cash or credit?"

"Cash."

"I need to see your driver's license."

Brian pulled his wallet out of his pocket and opened it. His license wasn't staring up at him from its usual place inside the plastic cover. "What the...?" Someone had removed it and put it behind his credit cards. He'd been made by Andrew McKinley?

"Sorry." He pulled out some cash and paid the bill.

"Your key. It's room 32. Out the door, up the stairs and to the right."

Brian picked up the blankets and the key. "Thanks."

She'd already turned back to the tiny images on the screen.

The bell on the door sounded as he pushed out into the night. He'd open up the room before he woke Kendall. Climbing the steps, he glanced down at the car.

"Damn." Brian dropped the blankets, charged down the stairs and flung open the passenger's side door.

The car was empty.

Kendall was gone.