- Text Size +
10



The new place on Melrose




“Well if nothing else, dinner should be mildly entertaining now.” I was talking to my brother about some business that needed attending to when he made the mistake of asking me how things were going so far.



“Wow, sounds like everything is how it was before you guys took your break.”



“Yup.”



“Besides Nick, how’s everyone else?”



“Good, all happy and healthy.”



“AJ?”



“Especially AJ.”



“That’s good. Are you going to do what we talked about then?”



“Yeah, I think so.”



“Good luck Howard, just stick to your guns and don’t let them brush it off.”



“I will.”



“Good… Well, I’m going to go take care of this thing now. Talk to you soon little brother.”



“Bye John.”



“Later.”



I hung up the phone with my brother and sighed at myself in the mirror. Tonight I was going to make the suggestion to the guys that I take over the business end of our career. It was something I have been thinking about ever since we made the decision to get back together. One of our biggest problems as a band has always been being too naïve when it came to the business side of things. None of us has ever had a firm grasp on the business side of show biz. We learned by making horrible mistakes, mistakes that cost us so much money and grief. Now that we were all older, there was no way I was going to let those things happen again.



“Hey D.” I glanced over at the door to see AJ standing there putting a baseball cap on his head, “Kevin told me to ask you if you were almost ready.”



“Just about.”



He walked all the way in the room and sat on the bed, the one that Nick should’ve been sleeping in if I wasn’t such a HUGE pushover. I am so getting my master bedroom back tonight.



“So have things calmed down out there a bit?”



“I guess so; the only one out there is Kevin right now. Brian’s on the phone and Nick is in his room getting ready.”



“This is actually his room you know.”



“It is?”



“Yes, I let him sleep in my room last night.”



“The master bedroom is yours?”



“Yes.”



“I was wondering how he got that. You are such a pushover when it comes to that kid D.”



“I know but…never mind, you’re right. I am a pushover.” AJ laughed at me when I gave him the finger.



“You all ready?” I asked finally spritzing myself with some cologne.



“Howie my man…I was born ready.” He winked at me and I shook my head at him. He was such a dork sometimes.



We ventured out into the living room where Nick was sitting, one leg over the other playing on his Sidekick. Brian was off to the side at the table talking to his wife and Kevin was sitting on the couch right next to Nick, looking at his watch.



“All right guys; let’s get this show on the road.” He said when he saw us finally emerge from my bedroom.



“Where are we going anyway?” Nick asked in a whisper. Still not even bothering to look away from his Sidekick thing he was playing with.



“A new place on Melrose, it’s supposed to be excellent.” Kevin answered placing his hotel room key in his pocket.



“Excellent for normal people or excellent for people who eat weird shit?”



“Excellent as in great food AJ.”



“What kind of food though Kevin? I mean your definition of excellent food is different from mine.”



“AJ, I swear when it comes to food you have the mentality of a five year old. Just try it.”



I smiled when I saw Nicky roll his eyes, thinking no one was looking at him. Of course at that point Kevin had glared in his direction but Nicky, oblivious to everything around him didn’t notice. Brian finally got off the phone and off we went to this new place on Melrose.



There were a few paparazzi lingering by the main entrance as we approached. “Great… just what I wanted to see.” Nicky whispered to me as we started for the front door.



A few pictures were snapped but nothing really, most of them were in the process of changing their film to notice or care about us one way or the other. Thoughts about the conversation Kevin and I had earlier ran through my mind. I remember days when all the paparazzi cared about was us. I wonder who was inside to cause such a stir but that was answered by AJ within a beat of my thought.



“Well look who it is, Miss Hilton.”



“The blonde or the brunette one?” I have to admit, I couldn’t remember which was which all I know is I was sick to death of seeing and hearing about them both. They did have nice hotels though.



“Paris, the one who made that tape.”



“Oh.”



Kevin gave the hostess his name and we were all quickly escorted to the back of the restaurant to a small room away from everyone else. We passed by the Hilton table but they didn’t even give us a second glance. “She’s hot.” AJ whispered into my ear just as we sat down.



“Whatever…” I sat down and looked over at Kevin who was staring down at the wine list. Brian had his head in the menu and both Nicky and AJ were staring over at the Hilton table.



It was then I said to myself, ‘maybe I’ll bring it up after we eat and have some dessert.’ already hearing my brother lecturing me about backing down.





~*~*~*~*~*~*




I couldn’t take my eyes off of her, she was beautiful, well not in a wow you’re pretty type way but more like an ‘I bet she is a monster in bed’ type way. Did I want to have sex with Miss Hilton? You bet your ass I did.



“AJ, stop staring it’s not polite.” I glanced over at Brian and smiled.



“Sorry dude but she’s damn hot. I’d love to…well you know.”



“You’ll probably have to get in line Boner.” He said motioning his head over at Nick who was also staring over that way.



“I wonder if she always has that many people around her?” Nick asked no one in particular as he finally allowed himself to look away.



“She’s a media whore Nick what do you think?” Kevin said as he laughed at himself under his breath, “Now do we know what we want?”



“Hey maybe I should date her, that would get us some media attention right Kev?” I couldn’t help it. I knew he was no fan of the heiress and he was forcing me to eat at a place where it seemed everything came to your plate alive.



“That kind of attention we can do without thanks very much AJ.” We all laughed as I once again looked down at my menu.



“Good Lord Kev, what on earth are these things supposed to be anyway?”



“It’s called sushi AJ; sometimes I think you are from another planet.”



“Yes I am from a planet where people like to eat cows and not living fish, thanks.”



“Would you like a children’s menu?” I loved when Nick caused Kevin to be in a bad mood, have I mentioned that nothing makes me happier when that happens?



“Sushi isn’t that bad AJ, actually I kind of like it.” And then he starts sucking up to Kevin to try to get back on his good side. Nick is so predictable.



“I’ll just have rice thanks…” I closed my menu disgusted by the whole experience. I would be making a McDonald’s run tonight and how much do you want to bet that Nick aka Mr. Sushi lover, would be joining me?



“We’ll get the house special.” Kevin said totally ignoring my grunt of disapproval.



“Next time I get to pick the restaurant.” I insisted as the waiter came over to fill all of our glasses with water.



“Okay fine next time we will go eat a cow just for you.” For some reason Nick busted out laughing at that and because his laugh was so damn contagious we all just started laughing naturally. I’m sure we sounded like a bunch of jackasses to the Hilton party because as we were done with our outburst I happened to glance over to notice her staring at me and smiling.



“Maybe I should go introduce myself to Miss Hilton. Does anyone know if she’s available?”



“I think she always has a vacant sign over her head at least.” Brian spit out his water on that one. You’ve got to hand it to Kevin; he had a way with zingers. “Besides…” He continued after a few more moments of contemplation, “Only a complete moron would date her. She’s trouble and everyone knows it.”



“Wow I think my cousin needs to be appointed as the new president of Paris Hilton’s fan club.” Brian said with a smirk, adding, “My wife thinks the dog is cute though.”



“Well I’m just going to say that if something comes to this table that calls for me to bat it on the head and kill it, I’m leaving.” Again Nick started giggling. Maybe he was drunk again? No, he’s just an idiot now I remember.



“AJ I promise you will not have to club anything to death, although if you don’t stop complaining I’m liable to club you to death.”



“Yeah J, leave the whining to Nick, it’s what he does best.” I high fived Howie on that one as Nick very maturely stuck out his tongue at us.



The first course of what was going to be a very long meal came out only a few minutes later. It was something wrapped in something else. I know that’s pretty much the general description of sushi anyway but still it didn’t look half bad and by the way Nick grabbed one and ate it, I thought I’d give it a try and you know what? It was friggin awesome! Shows you what the hell I know.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*






I have never really been a fan of sushi, Leigh loves it so we go out and eat it from time to time but I usually avoided it at all costs. I didn’t feel comfortable being here for some reason. Maybe it was the paparazzi glaring at us through the window, even though it wasn’t even us they were looking at. I have to admit I didn’t miss those days, days when I couldn’t eat a meal without worrying about if I had something sticking out of my mouth or if something was on my shirt knowing it would end up in all the teeny bopper magazines.



“Aren’t you hungry Bri?” I looked over at Kevin who was staring at my empty plate.



“I thought I’d pace myself since we are having a five course meal, besides Boner isn’t leaving us much at all is he?” I had to laugh at AJ who did nothing but bitch about going to a Sushi bar to now every five seconds saying ‘wow this stuff is the best.’ He’s funny in a nutso kind of way.



“So guys…does anybody have a song for us when we hit the studio?” I was kind of surprised that it was Nick who said that. Typically he wasn’t the get down to business guy in this group.



“I have some stuff written maybe we can look it over tomorrow.” AJ volunteered.



I had written a lot of songs but most of them were spiritual in nature, I was going to be releasing a Christian album soon. It’s something I have been working on forever and now it was almost ready to go.



“I have a ton of songs for us to try.”



“You do?” Nick looked over at me and nodded. H seemed annoyed that I was surprised by that.



“I have a bunch too.” Howie countered.



“Yeah me too.” Kevin nodded as he placed a sushi roll in his mouth.



“Well at least we have a lot f stuff to choose from.” I laughed for some reason, it sounded like a nervous phony laugh and they instantly noticed it.



“Something wrong Rok?”



“No, just uneasy because of the photographers.”



“I guess it’s something we’ll have to get used to again. I have a feeling as long as Paris is here, they will be too.”



I nodded at AJ, “I know…sorry it’s just weird that’s all.”



“I’m looking forward to all if us singing together tomorrow. I mean we haven’t done that in such a long time.” Again I was surprised that came out of Nick’s mouth and again he looked disappointed in my facial expression. Boy I was really batting a thousand with him.



“I am too buddy.” I thought maybe that would help and I think it did because he smiled at me, and then once again glanced over at the Hilton table. I was kind of hoping they would be leaving soon so we could continue our meal in peace.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




I looked around the table as everyone was eating and had to laugh when I saw Nick attempting to eat with chopsticks. He didn’t think anyone was watching him but it was a pretty amusing site. Especially because it was rice, he’d get it up to his mouth and then it’d fall.



I was glad to feel the tension cease as dinner progressed because that wouldn’t have been a good sign if we couldn’t handle even our second day together without awkward silences.



Seemed like everything was going smoothly, we had discussed song ideas and producers as well as what we should try to sing tomorrow when we tried harmonizing for the first time together in forever. We decided on I Want it that Way and why not, right? I mean that is the song that pretty much changed all of our lives.



I grabbed another piece of sushi and some more Wasabi and placed it in my mouth. “Hey guys…” Howie said sounding nervous as he pushed his plate aside.



“What is it D?”



“I have been kind of thinking…well…we should be thinking about the business stuff.”



“Money you mean?” He nodded at me.



“I was thinking that if you guys wouldn’t mind…maybe I could take over that side of things for us. You know? Be in charge of our finances, keep track of where our money is going.”



It’s weird because I haven’t ever really seen Howie as a businessman before, I mean I always knew he had that in him somewhere but thinking about it, out of all of us he was the one that I would trust most with my money.



“Sounds good to me, does anyone object?”



“Depends…will you be using my money for good or evil?”



Howie glanced over at Nick and winked, “Oh yours? Pure evil of course.”



“Fine than it’s a deal!” We all laughed.



“So since Howie is in charge of the money now and all… does that mean that dinner is on him?”



“Oh nice try AJ.” Howie balled up his fist and shook it at the kid. I couldn’t believe how unthreatening one person could be.



“I thought I was buying you dinner tonight anyway Bone.” Nick’s head shot up like someone had just smacked him in the back. I could tell AJ and Brian’s closeness was hurting him. It’s not like he was doing a great job at hiding it. Although I guess I have always been able to read him. And that, my friends, takes talent.



“Why?” He asked sounding like a hurt little puppy dog.



“Because I beat Rok’s ass at golf today. I mean totally destroyed his ass. His ass is no longer there it was so destroyed.”



“Okay enough…they get it AJ.” Brian laughed as he bit at his bottom lip.



“He beat you?” I couldn’t believe that one at all.



“Yes, but to my defense, I was preoccupied, waiting for the wife to call about Baylee.”



“Oh my GOD! Brian…Leighanne called while you were gone. I’m so sorry I forgot to tell you.” Nick stuttered, falling all over his words as if they were new to him.



“That’s okay, I talked to her already.” I shook my head at our youngest member to which he took note and immediately buried his head back into his Sidekick.



“Anyway…” He continued, “I plan on evening up the score tomorrow.”



“You’re golfing again tomorrow?”



“Yes why not? I mean if it’s nice weather.”



“What’s going to be your excuse tomorrow?”



“Tomorrow dofoburger…I won’t need one.”



“Yeah right.”



My cousin was so competitive with everything. I looked over at Nick as he pretended not to care about what we were saying, and came up with the best idea ever, “Why don’t we all go golfing together?”



“I hate golfing.”



“I know Howie but it seems like it would be a great thing for us all to do after our singing practice.”



“Kevin…you know I love you guys and all but we really don’t have to do everything together. I mean we are going to be spending the next…I don’t know how long with each other.” AJ argued.



“I’ll be right back.” Nick stood up and pushed in his chair.



“Where are you going?”



“Relax Kev…just to the bathroom. No worries, the bar is in the other direction.” He said shaking his head at me as AJ laughed at his smartass comeback.



When he was gone from earshot, I turned to my band mates, “Guys I really don’t think it’s a good idea to split up again tomorrow.”



“God Kev…seriously if this is about the drinking thing again, he said he made a mistake. He wouldn’t do it twice in a row.”



“I know but…”



“I was going to invite him to the beach with me tomorrow if they are going golfing.” Howie said while going over the bill carefully.



See? It was nice to know that I wasn’t the only one concerned. “Hey who wants to do something with me?” I said after a realized that I was the one being left out this time.



“Hey there’s always a mini bar to raid.”



“Enough AJ!”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~






I had to get away from that table for a few minutes. What I really needed was to smoke, so I bypassed the bathroom and headed out the backdoor to light up. They all knew I smoked but since we were on our break I really have taken up smoking almost as much as AJ does. “I’m such a loser.”



“You always talk to yourself?” I looked up at the female voice who said that to see a woman who was sitting over at the Hilton table. She motioned for me to light her cigarette for her which I did.



“Only when no one is listening.”



“Yeah I guess because if they are listening that means you aren’t by yourself.” Okay lady with the stupid cigarette who is making me feel dumb…you can move along anytime now.



“I thought you said you were going to the bathroom…”



“Were you spying on me?”



“You are a pretty loud guy.”



“Yeah I know…sorry.”



“No apologies necessary, we are pretty loud too.”



She held out her hand, “Names Sophie…I work for Paris.”



“Nick Carter.” I said to which she nodded.



“Yes I know, actually that’s why I came out here. Paris asked me to give this to you.” She said handing me a card with a phone number on it. “She said she’d like it if you called her up and asked her out sometime.”



“Really?”



“Really.” She threw her cigarette down and stepped on it, “I better be getting back inside now. Nice meeting you Nick.”



“Same to you.” I think I probably had a stupid look on my face because well…it felt like a stupid look and the way Sophie smiled at me it probably was like how I felt but let’s get back to the point…Paris wants to date me? What the hell?



I shrugged and put my own cigarette out as I moved back inside, not looking where I was going; I walked right into the wall. I hated when I did stuff like that. Hopefully no one noticed though. I looked up to find a few waiters trying not to laugh at me, “I was just practicing walking with my eyes closed….you know…just in case.” I darted out of there before they had a chance to figure out that what I said made no sense, and rounded the corner just in time to hear my name.



Oh joy!



“Nick shouldn’t be left alone…” Kevin said that just as I walked in the room. And of course me being the nice guy I am tried my best to pretend I didn’t hear it.



“Whoa…awkward huh Kevin? Don’t you hate it when you are talking about someone behind their back and they walk in the room? I know when that happens to me I feel like a jackass.” So I changed my mind.



“Sorry but it’s the truth isn’t it?” One thing about Kevin…he doesn’t back down so I didn’t even bother.



I just shrugged, “Yeah whatever.” I know in the end he was just jealous because I was friends with Tommy Freaking Lee! And now I had Paris friggin’ Hilton wanting to screw me! That made me like uber cool.



I almost decided to share this information with them right then and there but instead, I placed the card in my pocket and smiled over at her table just as AJ was doing the same thing.



“I paid for you Nick…” Brian said getting out of his chair.



“You didn’t have to.”



“I know…you can get it the next time. Oh and I’d like to talk to you later if you have a few minutes.”



“Sure…” I smiled at him, hoping that he wanted to talk videogames and pizza just like the old days.



“I think she has the hots for me…” AJ said talking about Paris as he walked past me to leave the room. I glanced at her again and she smiled and winked at me, so I did the same. Then I tripped over my feet…because I’m an idiot.

Thanks for reading and reviewing. You guys are awesome :O) See ya next Monday!