- Text Size +
24





Vacation








The week after I was ‘sent home’ by Mr. No Fun Bushy Brows, we barely spoke one word to each other. I admit, I was really pissed at him the more I thought about it. I am very far from a child anymore and I think sometimes he tends to forget that. True I can be immature but you know what? It’s my right to act like a kid every so often, I mean I didn’t get to really act like a kid when I was a kid because I was too busy having a job and all that crap. Kevin got to be a kid when he was a kid so he can kiss my big fat butt.



I got to the studio first this morning, coffee in hand and carrying not one dozen but TWO dozen donuts for everyone. Since the jerkass sent me home, I have been the first or second person here every damn day, including the day after he kicked me out in the first place.



The thing that sucked this morning was shortly after I arrived, so did he; making us the only two people in the studio. Even the engineers weren’t there yet. Shoot me now please.



I didn’t even look at him when he walked in. I just concentrated on drinking my coffee and looking over the lyric sheet for the song we were going to work on today. He purposely made noise so I would look up at him, but I refused. Hopefully Brian would get here soon and bail me out. When I left, AJ was still in the shower so I know he’ll be awhile yet.



You know what makes me mad about this entire thing? That fact that he didn’t even let me explain or when I tried, he didn’t believe me. Does he think I’m SO irresponsible that I would come to the studio completely shit faced? I felt myself fidgeting in my chair. I hated being angry at them.



What right did he have to send me home anyway? It’s not like he’s the boss of me or anything.



“You’re not the boss of me you know.” Kevin looked over at me and then turned around to see if I was talking to someone else. Can I just say there was no one else in the room but us! What a dumbass! And I can’t believe I just said that out loud! So much for the cold shoulder treatment.



“What?”



“You heard me.”



“Yeah, I heard you but I mean what in the hell are you talking about? Where did that come from?”



“Because I think you feel like you can boss me around just like you used to when I was child.”



“Nick, you haven’t spoken to me in over a week now.”



“Almost two weeks, but who’s counting.”



“Right…which is childish I might add.”



“Or you mightn’t.”



“That’s not a word.”



I looked at him and rolled my eyes. “Well I just made it one.” Okay not the most mature reply, but that’s all I had.



This time it was him that rolled his eyes. “Why bring this up now?”



“Because we are all alone and it needs to be brought up at some point.”



“It should have been brought up two weeks ago.”



“Well, it wasn’t.”



“I know.”



“I wasn’t drunk, I was just tired.”



He let out a huge sigh, I hated when he did stuff like that. The Richardson ‘I am annoyed and fed up because you aren’t as perfect as me’ sigh. “I know, AJ told me that.”



“So, when he tells you something you believe him, but not me.”



“I didn’t say that.”



“So you don’t believe him? You STILL think I was drunk?”



“I didn’t say that either.”



“You aren’t saying much of anything.”



“You aren’t letting me.” He kept getting on the verge of raising his voice but always putting his arms in front of him to remind himself to stay calm. If I wasn’t so friggin mad at him, I would probably be laughing at his corny ass right about now.



“Fine…talk.”



“I guess I was just waiting for you to say something to me, which you never did.”



“Because I was hurt. You hurt my feelings.” Oh my lord…am I having a Dr. Phil moment?



“You reeked of alcohol and I was in a bad mood.”



“And just like always, you took out your frustration on me!” I AM having a Dr. Phil moment. Zoinks!



Kevin nodded, “Nick, you’re right. I am sorry about that. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”



I looked down at the console…the dreaded apology, this is where I finally had to except it and move on. I hated this part. It was always so much easier to stay angry.



“Are you sorry for sending me home?”



He rolled his eyes again but then smiled, “Yes.” He answered after a few minutes. “I am sorry for sending you home. I over exaggerated.”



“You? Nah…”



“Shut up.” He laughed and ruffled my hair. Like I was a child AGAIN! But this time I smiled.



“So, are we friends again?” He asked me hopeful that I put this petty argument behind us.



“Yeah, I guess.” I gave him one more good eye roll for the road just as Brian walked in.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




“Did I just hear…communication of some sort emanating from this room?”



They both looked over at me and rolled their eyes. I actually have been standing outside the door for about fifteen minutes but when I heard them arguing I wasn’t about to get myself stuck in the middle again. This time I was smart enough to wait for the all clear.



I know it probably sounds wrong of me to say this, but for the two weeks they were not speaking, things ran so smoothly in the studio. We did our thing and got the hell out of there. Nick didn’t act like a doofus and Kevin wasn’t his usual control freak self. AJ, Howie and I kind of enjoyed the peace and quiet. I know when they come in and see the two of them talking again we’ll all have a quiet laugh about it.



“Yeah, we made up finally.” Kevin said matter of factly, as if this happened everyday…which it did.



“Well, isn’t that sweet. I’m so glad the two of you are all better now.” I of course was overdoing it a bit but I kind of wanted them to realize how dumb they were for being so annoyed in the first place.



“Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be okay with you if I took off for two weeks. Leigh really wants to go see her parents and I’m thinking Baylee should go visit mine. I know they can go without me, but I’d really like to go as well.”



“Two weeks?” Kevin asked, by the way he placed his hand to his chin, I knew the answer would be a no. Not a real no but more of an indirect, ‘sure if you want to put us all out go ahead’ guilt trip kind of no.



“That seems like a long time.”



“It’s not though, when you think about it. We did decide to take our time with this record didn’t we? And I think you both will agree with me that we are starting to burn out.”



“I know I’m burnt…maybe we should all do that. Take a little break for a few weeks. I know Paris is going to be on location with her show and she wanted me to come as well.”



“See? That’s the problem right there Bri. Already he’s making plans to go away and notice how it changed from two weeks to a few weeks.”



“God relax Kev, I meant two…You are the MOST anal person I know.” Well the peace was nice while it lasted.



“Excuse me for wanting to work…some of us are trying to take this seriously.”



“I am taking this more seriously than even you, God you’re such a jerk!”



“Guys…come on. If it’s going to cause another argument I won’t go. I’ll just send my wife and child away.” Okay now maybe I was laying it on a bit thick myself, but I needed a break.



Kevin looked over at me and shrugged, “No, it’s okay Brian…if you want to go, you should go.”



“Are you sure?”



“Yes.”



“And not that I’m opposed to it or anything Brian but I have to ask…why is it that once again YOU are the one making this decision. Shouldn’t it be a group decision?” Nick asked Kevin.



“Oh yeah…you mean like the whole going solo thing? That should have been a group decision too.”



Oh boy, here we go. Where are Howie and AJ?



“I can’t believe you are bringing that up again. Every damn time anything like this happens you bring that up.”



“Well, you kind of walked into it buddy.”



“Don’t call me your buddy. I’m not your buddy.”



“Since when?”



“Since you are acting like a dick wad!”



“Guys…”



“Oh, are you the only one that can act like a dick wad?”



“Guys!”



“You know what Kevin?”



I decided before we got a ‘what?’ I would break this up, “Look…enough is enough. This should be proof enough to the both of you that we all are due some time away from one another. I think we should all take a vacation.”



They both looked at me as if I had ten heads but then luckily the attention turned from me to the door where Howie walked in whistling…



~*~*~*~*~*~*




I walked in on a scene; they all were staring at me as if they had just watched me kill somebody. “What?” I asked all defensively. I was in a good mood until this minute I swear.



When none of them said a word, it only heightened my curiosity. “Is something hanging from my nose or something?”



“Hi D.” Nick finally said. Smiling at me and then turning back towards the console.



“What is going on?” I walked slowly into the room and dropped down into one of the chairs. Brian and Kevin were now glaring at each other.



“Brian seems to think we could all use a little vacation…what do you think?” Nick asked the console even though I was pretty sure he was speaking to me, although with Nick you can never really tell.



“Vacation?” I was confused; maybe I should walk out and walk back in again.



“It’s nothing…forget I even mentioned anything, I’m going to go call my wife.” Brian walked passed me in a huff and out the door with cell phone in hand.



Kevin let out a sigh and rubbed at his temples, this is not a good thing. “What is going on? Is he okay?” I pointed to the door which Brian just abruptly exited from.



“He wants to go away for two weeks.”



“Oh, is there some kind of emergency?”



“No, he just wants to go home and see his family.”



“Oh, okay…so is he going?” I could tell that was the wrong question by the way Nick and Kevin started to glare at one another. Although for them a glare was a step in the right direction. They haven’t spoken to each other in weeks.



“I don’t know…why don’t you ask Mr. Know it All…”



“I take it, he means you?” I asked Kevin, as light heartedly as possible.



“I told him he should go, unless you have a problem with that?”



“God no, he can go if he wants.” I said within a beat of the question.



“And I want to go spend two weeks with Paris on location for her show. Is that going to be a problem?” Okay this was a trick question…why are they doing this to me so early in the morning.



“Will it be at the same time as Brian goes?”



Nick nodded, his arms folded in front of him. “I don’t have a problem with that either.” I said, but not quite as quickly.



He looked over at Kevin then, apparently Kevin had a problem with it? I was so confused. Someone needs to meet me at the door next time and let me know what’s going on before I walk inside.



“Go, see if I care!” Okay yes is the answer to that question. Kevin did indeed have a problem with that. I mean I guess I did too. Not the fact that Nicky wanted to go away but more that he wanted to go away with that stupid whore. What? Don’t look surprised…that’s what she is!



“Okay good, then I’ll see you guys in two weeks.” Nick said standing up as if his vacation was going to start this very minute.



“Don’t you have to make sure that AJ and Brian don’t have a problem with it? I mean you have been talking out your ass about me making decisions yet you just left that up to me.”



“Hey! You guys are talking again…that’s great!” They both looked over at me as if I had said something dumb.



“Okay, I told Leigh to go without me.” Brian said, walking back into the room and sitting down next to me.



“Why?” Nick asked, now looking guilty.



“Because Nick…it’s not worth all the crap.”



“But we said you should go. I think you should.”



“No, Kevin said I should go, you started fighting with him.” Brian was pissed at Nick…oh boy, here we go.



“I told you, I didn’t have a problem with you going, I just had a problem with him calling all the shots.”



“Well, now I’m calling the shots. I’m staying. End of discussion.”



“Yeah, we better not press or else he’ll send himself home again.” Kevin said laughing under his breath.



“Oh I’m sure that made you mad because you didn’t get to do it yourself!” Brian said, rolling his eyes at his cousin. Of course that reply brought about a smile on the youngest one’s face.



“Hey my bitches…what’s crack a lacking?” We all looked over at the door to find AJ standing there with two coffee cups in his hands.



~*~*~*~*~*~*




Apparently nothing was crack a lacking because ‘my bitches’ didn’t answer me. They all just stared with the stupidest expressions on their faces. I wonder if I have something in my teeth.



When it seemed like no one was going to say a word, I walked over and gave Nick his latte, “Here ya go buddy, caramel latte for you with extra sugar, I told them to hold the diabetes.”



Nick grabbed the cup and smiled at me, “Thanks bro!”



“You should have brought some for everybody.” Howie said jokingly.



“Well D, see if I don’t bring one for him, he’ll drink mine.”



“Yeah, that’s true.”



“So, I take it I’m the last one here?”



“Wow, what a master of the obvious you are.” Brian said rolling his eyes at me.



“Hrmm it appears that someone woke up on the wrong side of our wife this morning.”



He didn’t laugh…oops.



“So, what’s going on?” I asked sitting down and admitting defeat.



“We have been debating whether or not we should take a vacation for a little while.”



“Together?”



“NO!” All four of them responded…I mean shouted at the same time.



I looked over at Kevin confused. “Why?”



“Because we are all ready to rip each other’s throats out.”



“We are? I’m not. I like my throat the way it is thanks and everyone else’s too.”



“Unfortunately you are alone.”



“Did I miss a fight of some kind?”



“Where have you been AJ? That’s all we’ve been doing.” Nick answered, blowing on his latte.



“So, taking a break for how long exactly?”



“I told them not to worry about it. We aren’t taking a break.” Brian replied sitting at the console and hitting the buttons as if they were a whack a mole game. He must have brought up the him and Leigh going away thing to mixed reviews.



“Brian, we told you to go man…you are totally blowing this out of proportion.” Nick said as he grabbed Rok’s arm before he was able to bang another button and break it.



“Am I?”



“Yes.” Kevin jumped in, “You are…”



“Okay fine…AJ?” Oh boy…



“Yes?”



“Is it okay with you if I go away for two weeks?”



“I already told you it was.”



“Oh…so he knew before the rest of us?” Nick asked, sounding hurt. Oops again.



“Well yeah, when we went to the movies the other night, I ran it by him. Is that a crime?”



“No, but…never mind…see? It’s okay with all of us. Go be with your family.”



“Then you should go be with your girlfriend.” What the fuck? I thought Howie hated Paris. Why is he telling Nick to go be with her? I’m so confused.



“I don’t think I have the same standards as Brian.”



“What is that supposed to mean?” Wow, I wonder what the hell I missed. I’m never sleeping in again…oh who am I kidding?



“Relax, I just mean they look at you and they see your wife and family. It seems like you have a valid reason for leaving. They look at me and see Paris who you all hate and don’t think I’m worthy of the same thing.”



“Why does everything become about you? This was about me and my wife going away how did it become Nick wanting to see his lay of the moment?” Whoa! Did those words just come out of Brian’s mouth? What in the world is going on?



It was so quiet in the room that I don’t think anyone was even breathing. I am just glad I’m not the cause of it.



“That’s what I mean.” Nick said in a half laugh.



“Maybe we should all take a little bit of time to ourselves. I know I could use the break as well.” Howie said, looking over at me to agree with him. The problem was, I didn’t want the time off.



Me plus time off equals too much thinking, especially if Nick was going to be away and I’d have the place to myself. But seeing how tense everyone was, I nodded and agreed anyway, “I think that’s a good idea too.”



“Nick…I’m sorry.” Brian said, and I think we were all happy about that. I mean that was just full on too weird for me.



“It’s okay…” But it wasn’t. I could hear the hurt in his voice. He tried to hide it of course. We all know him too well, but Brian didn’t press. He walked over and gave the kid a hug.



“So when are we taking this break?” I asked now that my latte was cold.



“How about the end of the week?” Kevin asked, looking at everyone for a seal of approval.



“Sure, it’s fine with me.” Nick pouted and yes he was pouting.



“It works for me too.” Brian said, staring at the blonde, I could tell he felt horribly guilty for what he just said. Not so much because it wasn’t true but because to Nick, she seemed like the ‘one’ for him and there went Brian who means more to Nick than he’ll ever guess totally brushing it off. Ouch!



“Then it’s settled, I think the break will do us all good.” Kevin said but he sounded as about as excited as I felt.



“Should we actually get to work now then?” Nick asked walking back over to the console and picking up a lyric sheet.



“Yes, I guess we should.” Kevin answered…whoa they actually spoke to each other.



Nick stood up and walked into the booth. It’s funny that whenever a fight like this would occur we were always able to record vocals like nothing had happened. In fact, they usually produced some of the best vocals ever. Listening to Nick you could hardly tell how hurt, mad and upset he was about everything that just happened.



The rest of the session went on the same way. We recorded a song called My Beautiful Woman…probably the best one we have worked on so far. Now whenever I listen to it I’ll remember Brian being mean. Ah the memories!

Thanks for reading :O) I WILL be back on Wednesday with a new Shadow Woods chapter so you all can relax and stop giving me a hard time over at that story! :OP lol