- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy Memorial Day!

And i'm on time for once...yay! lol
33



You know what they say about beans…






We have a very special relationship all of us guys. I know that to the public eye it could seem like we love each other a little too much, but the fact is, we are brothers. All of us have a softer side, I mean come on…we are in a boy band for God sakes. Sorry I had to….anyway, it’s just that we grew up together; we’ve seen each other at our best and our worst. That makes us very comfortable around one another.



So even though to anyone else it might have looked like a scene from Queer as Folk, when I came back to the house and found Nick asleep with his head on Kevin’s lap, buried into a Spongebob Squarepants pillow, MY pillow of course…I knew that something bad had just gone down.



“What happened?” I asked as I put my surfboard against the wall and out of the way.



“The bitch finally gave him the heave ho.”



“Oh…” I took a seat on the recliner across from the two of them.



“Were you here when it happened?”



“No, I guess it happened right before I got here.”



“How did he take it?” Kevin gave me a look like I was a complete an utter idiot for asking that question and then pointed to the wall where there seemed to be a line of red going down to the floor as if it was making an exclamation point.



“What the hell is that?”



“Pizza.”



“We really need to condition the boy not to throw things when he’s upset.” I walked over to the wall and heard my mother screaming at me in my head about how that would permanently leave a stain.



“I made him take a sleeping pill.”



“Was that a wise decision?”



“When he’s awake he does stupid things AJ.” He said once again pointing to the wall.



“That’s true.”



“I was too late to prevent him from calling his dumbass friends though so I’m sad to say that Bean is on his way over.”



“Ugh! We go from a stupid whore to a drunken, money grubbing loser.” Kevin nodded and shrugged. There wasn’t much more to add to that.



Bean, for those of you who don’t know, is what we like to call Nick’s bad habit. He’s the devil that perpetually sits on Nick’s shoulder and tells him that his reckless behavior is okay. Bean is a lot like a real bean…he is a walking brain fart and surrounds himself with weenies…minus Nick of course. We are not fans of Bean but we tolerate him because he means a lot to our youngest member. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.



“I really can’t let Bean stay here because he is an alcoholic. He just hasn’t realized it yet. There’s no way that would work.”



“Bean can rent his loser ass a hotel room.”



I nodded at Kevin; he was always one step ahead of me.



“Paris told him she was better than he was.” Kevin said, getting back to the main topic of discussion.



“If by better she meant sleazy, bitchy and demonic, then yes, she is much much better than he is.”



Kevin laughed at me but he had that intense look on his face. The kind of look that always found Nick and I running for cover. I’m glad I wasn’t the reason for the look this time. If Paris was around she’d be getting a lecture from hell right about now.



“How long has he been asleep?” I asked noting the way he was snoring and dribbling all over MY pillow.



“For about a half hour. I wonder how messy this will get, you know…with the tabloids.”



We all talked about this part of it as well, the inevitable breakup. We knew it was coming and we also knew how she was. The only reason we didn’t want them to break up was because of what we were sure would happen afterwards. “Maybe they won’t make a big deal out of it.”



“Riiight, it’s Paris, if they don’t…she will.”



“Maybe now would be a good time to go camping or something…take a few days off from the studio and just get away for a little bit.”



Kevin nodded at me, “Good idea.”



“I’m not running away from her.” Came a bleary voice from Kevin’s crotch…oh boy did that sound bad. Wow…but technically that’s where he was, of course there was a pillow separating the two…I’m babbling now.



Anyway…



He sat up slowly and yawned, “It’s nice of you guys to think of me like that, but we have to keep working on this album. I’m not going to let that bitch throw us off schedule.”



Is it sad to say that it pleased me to hear him call her a bitch?



“Are you feeling better little man?” Kevin asked in his overly sympathetic voice. That’s the thing with Kevin, he could be the scariest guy on the planet one second but then the sweetest the next.



“I feel like a loser who just got dumped by his girlfriend.”



Kevin pat his back as blondie yawned once again. “I’m sorry buddy.”



“I didn’t think about the tabloids.” The way Nick said that, I thought he was going to vomit right then and there.



“They’re going to be all over this one Nick, that’s why we think maybe we should go somewhere…or if not all of us just you and I or something.” Kevin suggested.



“Bean’s coming; maybe the two of us can head down the coast for a little bit.” Kevin nodded but then looked my way with that worried face of his. Bean is not the guy you want to hide from trouble with.



“Maybe you, Bean and I can all do that.”



Very smooth Kevin…NOT!



Of course that got Nick all flustered, as if he needed more of a reason to be flustered. “I can’t believe you! Rob is my friend and we don’t need a babysitter!” He stood up and staggered into the kitchen. I guess those sleeping pills were still working.



“Way to go Kev.”



He gave me that look…uh oh.



“You should go talk to him.”



“Why me? I think you should, you’re the one that pissed him off. Better go before he throws something else!”



Kevin rolled his eyes at me but then got off the couch and headed for the kitchen. I decided to take that opportunity to go upstairs and shower. I am pretty sure I have sand in every orifice of my body.



~*~*~*~*~*~






When I walked into the kitchen Nick was staring out the sliding back door. He looked like he was miles away. “I’m sorry Nick…I didn’t mean anything by it. I just want to be there for you.”



He didn’t turn around but continued to look outside. “That’s bullshit. You don’t trust Bean, you hate him even.”



“I don’t hate Bean.” Yes I do, but he didn’t need to know that just then.



“Why am I such a fuck up Kevin? I mean why does nothing ever go right for me?”



I walked next to him, sensing that it was safe to do so without getting punched. “Aw Nick…you’re not a fuck up. You just sometimes don’t make very good choices.”



“You don’t think I make ANY good choices!” He turned his head and gave me a look. I decided to take a few steps back and he was right. I don’t think he makes any good choices.



“Things will get better kiddo…you’ll bounce back and find someone else in no time at all.”



“I loved her.”



“I know.” I sighed; I wanted to shake him…sometimes really hard.



“She was the one.”



“No she wasn’t.”



“Yes she was.”



“No she…Nick, it just wasn’t meant to be.”



He moved over to the kitchen table and sat down, plopping his head on the table with a huge thud. “I’m tired.”



“You should go back to sleep.”



“Someone is going to have to pick Bean up from the airport.” He was speaking into the table so his voice sounded mumbled. I wish I hadn’t heard what he said.



“Maybe he can take a cab.”



“I told him I’d pick him up but then you decided to drug me.”



“I didn’t drug you; I just thought you needed your rest.”



“I can’t pick up Bean like this.”



“I agree.” That was a good choice…but if I wasn’t here he would have left to go get Bean while medicated and without wearing a seatbelt!



“So, then someone else needs to do it.” He mumbled again.



“When does he get in?”



“He said he was coming right away. He knew I needed him.” Oh please! He knew in the state you were in, you’d want to go out and forget all your troubles and treat the entire time. He lives off your vulnerability. WHY CAN’T YOU SEE THAT? I’m so glad I kept that to myself…for now.



“Where is he flying in from?”



“He’s in San Fran…so not far.”



“Okay, well maybe I can get AJ or…I know what I’ll do.” I walked over and made a phone call. I would’ve gone but there was no way I was leaving him alone, even though AJ was here. Okay the truth is, if I went to go pick Bean up I’d most likely end up fighting with him.



So I called…



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




“What?”



“He needs someone to pick him up Howie.”



“So, why don’t you pick him up then?”



“Because I am here with Nick.”



“But so is AJ.”



“Yeah but…”



“Kevin, I have had a HORRIBLE day.”



“That’s why you would probably be perfect to pick him up…hell maybe use some of that Latino anger and scare him the hell away!”



I shook my head, when am I going to learn that I do not need to always take my calls. Voice mail is your friend Howie. That should be my new mantra.



“Please D? You know what will happen if I go get him.”



“Okay fine…but Nicky is going to owe me big for this one!” I took my cell phone in my hand and hit myself with it in the head a few times; softly of course, because I’m not a moron.



Shortly after that I found myself at the airport waiting for probably one of the most annoying people on the planet. When it came to all of us, I guess I managed to tolerate Bean the most. Brian and I tied for that really, we both kept our distance when he showed up for any given leg of any given tour. Part of me thought about calling Brian right then and there. If I had to suffer so should he, right?



I guess the one difference between Brian and I, is that I could actually see why it was that Nick enjoyed hanging with the guy. It was simple really, Bean was fun. No matter what the situation Bean could turn anything into a party. Hell, I remember once during the Black and Blue tour, Bean had come out after going to a funeral of a good friend and that night they had such a huge party, the hotel almost threw us all out.



“Howie D?” I looked up to find him staring at me with arm extended for a hug/shake.



“Hi Rob.” He was wearing sunglasses but I could tell he had been drinking on the plane because of the smell of alcohol on his breath.



“I didn’t expect to see you here. Where’s Nick?”



“He’s back at home; he took a sleeping pill and didn’t think it would be a good idea to drive.”



Bean laughed, “Actually it would have been a riot to watch.” Yup, he’s an idiot, but I smiled at that anyway, more to the thought of what Kevin would have actually said to that one. Now THAT would have been a riot to watch.



“Did you have a good flight?”



“It was okay...so how’s he doing?”



I guess I also got that deep down inside, Rob did care about Nick. “As well as can be expected I guess,” I answered as I put his stuff in my trunk.



“That’s good, I’m sure he’ll be over this in no time. At least if I have anything to do with it.”



“I hope.” Was all I said as we ventured to Nick’s place.



“I’m kind of glad it’s you and not Kevin that picked me up. He hates my ass.”



“No, he doesn’t Rob.” I lied. Kevin does indeed hate Bean’s ass.



“It’s not like I ever did anything to him…I’m not sure what the deal is.”



“He just tends to be a bit overprotective of Nick, that’s all.”



“Well, you all do that…mind if I smoke?” He asked while taking out a cigarette before I could say no I guess.



“Go ahead.”



“Thanks man.”



I nodded at him and not much more was said until we got to Carters place, who is going to owe me big time for this by the way…just in case I haven’t mentioned it!





~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~






I hate the way they all treat me when something bad happens in my life. They treat me like a child and if you need further proof of that I can tell you that Kevin is in the process of handing me wet wipes to clean my hands.



This is why I need Bean here because he doesn’t treat me like a kid. He treats me like a friend.



“Did you call Brian back?” Kevin asked me out of the blue.



“Huh?” Kevin gave me one more wet wipe, okay so I spilled some honey all over the place. Okay so I threw it and it broke all over the kitchen and in the process I slipped and now had it all over my hands and legs…okay I’m an idiot.



“Brian…he was on your answering machine.”



“You’re checking my messages now?”



“You should try doing that every once in awhile too you know.”



“I know he called, I’m not in the mood to hear I told you so.”



“Brian wouldn’t say that Nick. Call him; he’ll make you feel better.” There was a time when that statement was true, but nowadays a call to Brian could either be a great thing or a complete disaster and since I needed it to be a great thing, I decided it was best to not call at all…just in case the second scenario happened.



“I’ll call him later.”



He tried to hand me another wet wipe but I stopped him. Where the hell did they come from anyway? Tell me he doesn’t carry them around for emergencies. “Are you sure you didn’t step on any glass?” He asked when his wet wipe come on was rejected.



“I’m sure.”



“You need to control your temper Nick.”



“Kev…I’m not in the mood for a lecture.”



“Are you ever?”



“No, but especially not today.” I needed a smoke so I walked back into the living room and looked under the couch cushions for my cigarettes. I was met with a wet AJ, staring at me as I got on my knees and stuck my head into the couch. Of course Kevin followed with his wet wipes in hand…just in case.



“Um…what are you doing?” AJ asked tilting his head to watch me.



“Looking for my smokes.”



“Oh.”



“You two amaze me, you accepted that answer as if that’s the perfect place to look for cigarettes.”



“It is.” AJ answered and one beat later I pulled my pack out and waved it in victory.



“I swear…” Kevin was about to say more when the doorbell rang.



BEAN! My salvation was here! If anyone could cheer me up it would be him.



I ran over to the door and ignored the looks that AJ and Kevin were giving each other. They think I’m dumb and blind, that I don’t see those looks. When I opened the door he greeted me wearing a beer hat on his head. I love Bean!



“Hey buddy, how’s it hanging?”



“Dude…thanks for coming…hey Howie.” I gave D a hug for picking my friend up at the airport for me.



“How are you Nicky? You smell like honey.” Howie sounded confused when he said that.



“Yeah kid, did you have a honey or two sitting on your face before I got here?” Bean cracks me the hell up.



“Yeah right.” I answered as we made our way into the living room.



“Hey Bean.” AJ said very unenthusiastically.



“Hi AJ.”



Kevin walked over and shook Bean’s hand, “Hi.”



“Howdy Kevin.”



There was an uncomfortable silence in the room, it’s kind of like I brought over my girlfriend for the first time and you could tell no one approved. Oh yeah…I’ve done that as well.



“Well…I guess I better be going home.” Kevin said walking over and giving me a hug. I could tell Bean was happy about that. He was afraid of Kevin…weren’t we all.



“Thanks for everything man.” I whispered to him. I know I was hard on him sometimes. I do realize it’s just because he cares.



“If you need me just call, okay? And try to lay low for a little while.” In other words…stay the hell out of trouble.



AJ stood up, “Howie you wanna catch a movie or something?”



“Sure.” Howie answered so fast I almost started laughing. Could they make it anymore obvious?



“We’ll see you guys later!”



Just like that, all three of them were out the door in no time flat.



“Wow, I sure do know how to clear a room…was Brian here too or did he leave when my name was mentioned? Perhaps he’s hiding in a corner praying for my soul?”



I laughed, “Don’t let them get to you.”



“I’m already over it Nickolas…now what’s say you and me go out on the town and drown your sorrows?”



Have I mentioned how much I love Bean?





~*~*~*~*~*~*~




“So is he coming over?” I bit my bottom lip as I turned to my wife.



“I don’t know, he hasn’t returned my call yet.”



“Don’t you mean calls?” She asked me condescendingly.



I nodded, “Okay fine…calls.”



I didn’t mind being wrong when it came to my wife, everyone else, it bothered me, but not her. Except when it came to the guys, I know sometimes in her head, they are very similar to what I consider Nick’s friend Bean to be, a pain in the ass. And sometimes all it took was something like this to further confirm that fact to her.



I hated the fact that Nick didn’t call me back and not even so much because he didn’t call me but that now Leighanne had more fuel for when I decide to defend him for something and most likely I will need to defend him for something.



“Ah well…his loss I guess. You want to rent a movie?” I moved behind her and hugged her tight. She was lucky I was so madly in love with her.



“A movie sounds good to me.”



We walked into our den hand in hand, to search for a perfect movie to watch, knowing full well it would end up being Thomas the Tank.


Just because I miss writing things at the bottom of each chapter lol *waves*