- Text Size +
The phone call from David Reed cast a spell over both of them for the rest of the day. She and Brian fell silent for long periods of time. Then one or the other would burst out with a question.

“Why can’t someone just open the envelope from the lab and telephone everyone with the results?” Faith sneezed several times into a tissue after asking.

Brian pulled a handful of tissue from a box that sat on the table beside him, and handed them to her. He uttered what passed as a noncommittal grunt.

“I want to know the results. But at this stage, we can’t afford to have anyone cry foul. If Judge Brown opened the envelope, our lawyers could claim grounds to suggest tampering.”

“But a judge?”

“Judges aren’t all squeaky-clean, Faith. I’d rather wait and watch the envelope being opened.” Brian sat forward and rested his elbows on his thighs. He laced his fingers and idly twirled his thumbs. “But part of me wants to put off knowing.”

“Why? Earlier you said the wait was hard on everyone.”

“I know,” he said in a shaky voice, reaching over to rub the back of Faith’s neck. “Guess I’m not as confident about the outcome now as I was during our initial hearing.”

Faith moved away to escape the hypnotic touch of Brian’s fingers. She placed Elyse in the playpen next to her sleeping twin. Evan had drifted off while batting at a soft toy. “Whichever lawyer said it would be harder to give up the twins once I brought them home was a hundred percent correct. I thought I was attached before, but now all I want to do is pack them up and run far, far away.”

Brian dropped a soft yellow blanket over the infants, “Funny, those same thoughts have been running through my head. I don’t even like the idea of leaving them with a sitter tomorrow while we attend the hearing.”

“A sitter! Oh, Bri...I still need to do that. I wish there was someone in the building.” She said half to herself. “Most people I’d trust will be at work during the time we need someone.”

Brian pulled Faith against his chest. They stood in contemplative silence for a moment. Until Faith slipped away and rummaged in the cupboard for a new tissue box.

“This is doubly hard on you, I guess.” Brian said, his gaze sympathetic.

“Because I’m sick, you mean? The medicine helps. I’ll get in three more doses before the hearing. You know how it is with nurses. Unless we’re dead, the hospital expects us to work. It becomes habit to keep on going while we’re sick.”

“Same with doctors. You’d think the medical profession would be more tolerant of staff illness.”

“I remember one time Gwen had pneumonia and our supervisor scheduled her for back-to-back shifts. Hey.” Faith snapped her fingers. “Gwen might know of a reliable sitter. She’s particular about who looks after her kids.” She immediately grabbed the phone and dialed her friend.

Brian listened to one half of the conversation. He heard enough to realize their sitter dilemma was solved. “Gwen came up with someone, I take it.” He said when Faith got off the phone.

“It’s her day off and her kids are in school all day. She offered to come over here and stay with the twins. Said she’s been meaning to call and give me an afternoon out, anyway. Wow, I feel so much better having that settled.”

“Do you feel good enough to eat something? I think you’ve lost weight. More than I’d expect from the bout of flu you had.”

“It’s these sweats. They’re really baggy.”

“I don’t think so.” He eyed her critically and it flustered her. He’d seen almost every inch of her, and his look now reminded her that he, too, was aware of this.

“How can you think about food?” she asked as an obvious diversion. “I’ll be a wreck until after tomorrow’s meeting. As a matter of fact, shouldn’t you go back to your apartment and call James Maxwell to work out your strategy?”

“What good will it do? Any appeal we might file hinges on the DNA results. I don’t know about you, but my philosophy is that misery needs company. I was about to suggest I run down to the video store at the corner and rent a couple of movies to get us through the long night. How does that sound?”

She glanced at the babies. “I probably won’t sleep.” She said. “And after tomorrow we may not be on speaking terms. Depending on those DNA results, this may be our last night with the twins.”

“Why are you trying to cut our ties, Faith? Regardless of the outcome, we’ll continue to see each other, I promise you.”

Faith’s eyelashes swept down, hiding her thoughts. Brian was treading in deep water. He knew Faith’s physical response to him in that cabin hadn’t been accidental. In fact, he had reservations himself. Not about the passion he felt toward Faith. The more time he spent with her, the more sure he was that he’d married the wrong sister. However, he wanted to be a father to Chloe’s babies more than he’d ever expected. Brian certainly didn’t want Faith confusing his two pursuits. Wanting her had nothing to do with wanting the babies. It was important she understand that.

Considering how strong his feelings were, Brian wasn’t sure he could keep his hands to himself if he and Faith sat side by side watching old movies.

“I won’t stay,” he said abruptly. He began to collect his belongings. “You still look pretty peaked, Faith. You can crash at my place tonight if you want. I can sleep here and do the night feedings again.”

Faith couldn’t keep up with Brian’s fluctuating offers. First he wanted them to spend the long, lonely evening together. Now he couldn’t seem to be rid of her quick enough. Did it have to do with her fantasy of stealing off with the babies? Or had something triggered a memory of their indiscretions at the cabin? Were his regrets finally surfacing? Faith decided to make it easy for him. “We’ll rest better in our own beds.” She said. “Don’t worry, I’ll hear the babies. Last night the medicine knocked me out, Today I’ve adjusted to it.”

“You’re sure?” he hesitated at the door until she nodded. “Until tomorrow, then, Faith.” Brian undid all the locks. “You will let me give you a lift to the courthouse?”

Faith caught the door before it closed. “I’ll take a cab, I’m not sure what time Gwen will get here. Not only that, there’s no need to give Burgess and Lang any extra fuel for speculation.”

“Those two will be history once Judge Brown opens the envelope from the lab.”

Faith set her jaw stubbornly. “So you say, Brian. Have you forgotten I plan to contest either way? Chloe named me guardian. Me.” She tapped a fist over her heart.

“I’m sorry Chloe felt so bitter. But the judge will see that and take it into account before rendering the verdict.” Brian’s eyes burned with compassion for Faith.

She read the look as pity. “Good night, Brian. You won’t win. My position is too strong. But for what it’s worth, I think you’ll make a great father someday.”

“Someday I’ll be a good husband, as well.” He informed her. Then, because he faced a closed door, Brian wondered if she’d heard. If she had, would she put two and two together? She was wrong if she thought that slamming a door in his face meant she’d seen the last of him.

***


Another October storm swept in from the sea the next day, matching Faith’s mood. The nearer it came to the hearing, the more Faith’s stomach pitched. The sensation was reminiscent of the flu she’d just suffered, but she knew it was nerves.

Pure and simple nerves.

It was too bad Brian hadn’t popped over for coffee. As he’d said, misery did indeed love company. In spite of how they’d parted last night, Faith was surprised not to hear from him.

Fortunately, Gwen arrived an hour early. “I thought, given how important it is to make a good showing today, you might need extra time to primp,” Hugging Faith, she added, “knock ‘em dead, okay? Show them what you’re made of.”

“Gwen, you’re wonderful. I’ve been so rattled all morning. I think the twins sense there’s something wrong. They’ve been fussier than normal.”

Gwen tossed her purse and car keys on the table and gathered a crying Evan into her arms. “It’s baby radar,” Gwen advised sagely. “Kids act out every time Mom has a chance to go out. The little charmers can turn on the waterworks at will. Their aim is to make Mom feel guilty so she’ll stay home.” Laughing, the mother of four buried her lips in the baby’s neck and blew him a raspberry.

He snorted several times in response. “See?” Gwen said. “What did I tell you?”

Faith didn’t look convinced. “Evan and Elyse are too little for that sort of manipulative behavior.”

“Don’t kid yourself, honey. Babies come out of the womb knowing how to manipulate Mom and Dad. Speaking of Dad, where is that gorgeous hunk of man?” Gwen peered into rooms as she followed Faith to her bedroom

“Which man?” Faith pretended not to understand her friend. “Until Judge Brown opens the all-important envelope today, Ellie and Evan are fatherless.”

“You know perfectly well I mean Brian. Did you know Cicely’s sister works in Dr. Sampson’s office? Carrie overheard Brian telling him the two of you and the babies had spent the night in some fishing cabin down the coast.”

Faith’s sharp exhalation brought a smile to Gwen’s face.

Suddenly smug, she dropped a kiss on Evan's nose. “Hey, Faith, remember how we all used to fantasize about what that man would be like in bed?” she said. “Is he as good as he looks?”

“I wouldn’t know. We never got that far,” Faith’s muffled reply came from beneath the folds of a jade-green dress she’d dived into. “Hey, you were happily married when we both held retractors for Brian. Back off, Gwen, or I’ll tell Jerry what you said.”

“Ouch, the girl plays hardball.” Elyse let out a wail from the nursery then, ending the women’s chat.

But Gwen wasn’t one to give up easily. “You look great,” she told Faith as Faith swiped on pale lipstick and raced for the door to meet her cab. “I’ll bet Brian won’t be able to concentrate on anything but you today.”

Faith balanced half in, half out the door. “Gwen! Puh-leeze! Nothing happened in that cabin.”

“Of course not. One baby can throw a wrench into sex. But two...” Gwen rolled innocent grey eyes. “The thing you need to remember is that Brian tried to get something going, right?” She smiled widely. “You’re not denying it, I see. He’s interested, and you know it. Think long and hard about that, Faith. Especially if he ends up winning the daddy pool.”

Faith raised both hands in exasperation. “My cab is waiting,” she said. “I showed you where the bottles and diapers are. If the hearing runs late, I’ll call.” Tempted to slam the door, Faith sighed and shut it softly instead. Gwen would have her say, no matter what.

***


The storm caused a traffic snarl-up. Faith arrived late, nearly fifteen minutes after the meeting time. An unsmiling clerk hustled her down the dreary hall and into an already full chamber.

She felt Brian’s gaze. Staring straight ahead, Faith slipped into the vacant seat left between him and David Reed. If she’d arrived early, she could have engineered the seating better and found a place well away from Brian. Now she’d have to act stoic while waiting for one or both of their lives to be ripped to shreds.

“I guess Gwen got there okay.” Brian murmured. “I’d begun to worry. Is she all right with the twins?”

“Fine...shhh...” Faith brought a finger to her lips. “Barbara Lang and Daniel Burgess are watching us.” Faith wondered if they thought she looked entirely too well to have been sick as she and Brian had claimed. Or, on the other hand, did they think she resembled something no self-respecting feline would drag in? As if to emphasize the lingering effects of her cold, Faith’s nose twitched and she sneezed several times in succession.

Even Judge Brown looked up. “Are you all right, Ms. Hyatt? Shall I ask the clerk to bring you a box of tissues or perhaps a glass of water?”

Faith shook her head. Brian had already unzipped her purse and handed her a plastic-wrapped pack of tissues. “Thanks.” She whispered.

“In that case,” the judge said, pausing to run a last glance around the room. “I believe we are ready to begin. It pleases me that you were all able to make it on short notice. It shows that your interest in the welfare of the twins has remained strong.”

“We’re all here,” one of Nick Carter’s lawyers growled, “Please enter in the record that our client flew home from the Bahamas in order to comply with the request that we all assemble on short notice, as you aptly put it.”

The judge seemed to take a long time to acknowledge Keith Schlegel. “So entered.” She said at last, directing a nod toward the stenographer. “I’ve also received a report from Daniel Burgess and Barbara Lang as to their preliminary custody recommendations. I’ll make copies available to all parties, along with today’s transcript, if that’s agreeable?” Judge Brown appeared to be focused on getting a response from each team. If she heard Faith and Brian’s audible groans, she didn’t let on.

David conferred with Faith in low tones. James Maxwell did the same with Brian.

“We can always file a rebuttal later,” he said. "I know you were sick. Dr. Sampson will probably attest to that in a signed affidavit if Burgess and Lang get nasty. I suggest we agree to the copies in order to move on to the primary issue—-what’s in the envelope.”

“If that’s what you think.” Faith said, shredding a tissue. “As I explained yesterday, they showed up without calling first. I—I suppose the damage from their report is done. I mean, the judge has already read it.”

“Brown is known for her fairness. Look, Faith. I’d hate to make a big fuss about something that might not even be an issue.”

“Does your client have a problem with including the Burgess-Lang report in today’s transcript, Mr. Reed?” Judge Brown asked.

“No, your Honor.” David said firmly. “I assume we’ll be able to counter the report if I deem it necessary?”

“You mean, if we don’t conclude this case today?”

“I sincerely doubt that’s possible, your Honor,” David said. “You hold the answer to the question of the Littrell twins’ biological father-—information which in no way changes my client’s claim to custody of the babies, based on her sister’s last will and testament.”

“So you’re saying regardless of the DNA, your client will press for custody.”

“Yes, your Honor. That is what I’m saying.”

The Schlegel brothers hunched around their partner, Nancy Matz. All shielded Nick, Shelby and Nick’s father. The six jabbered, gestured and shook fingers. In contrast, James Maxwell and Brian relaxed in their chairs as if they’d already anticipated Faith’s next move.

The judge spent a few minutes of flipping pages in a day planner. “It would please the court to have the domestic fate of these children settled before the holidays begin. Mr. Reed, can you prepare an adequate case for your client by mid-November?”

David studied his own calendar. “That depends, your Honor.”

“On what?”

“On which gentleman fathered Chloe Hyatt-Littrell’s babies. I hope you aren’t asking me to disclose my strategy?”

“Of course not.” The judge conceded her frown easing. “I understand it will take you longer to research histories that have gone against a married couple than the more conventional cases that have ruled against single dads.”

“Could we get on with the reason we’re all here today?” Nick’s father complained loudly. “Well, what’s the sense in dragging this out?” He said, tossing down his pen. “There are peoples’ lives on hold here.”

Judge Brown picked up the envelope. Turning to a clerk who hovered at the back of the room, she said, “Ms. Carlson, could you please walk this envelope around? I want every counselor and client to verify that the seal on the envelope remains unbroken.”

The elder Carter threw an arm over the back of his chair. “God, we trust you, Judge. Open the damned thing already.”

The judge’s well-shaped eyebrows drew down sharply. “Mr. Carter, another outburst like that and I’ll ask you to leave. The principals in this case have been waiting nearly six weeks for these DNA results. Ten additional minutes shouldn’t cause anyone hardship.”

The young clerk started with the state Social Service representatives. Burgess and Lang each checked the seal and also the postmark and return label.

David and Faith did the same.

Brian gave it a cursory glance, while his lawyer jotted the pertinent details on his legal pad. Finally, every member of the Carter group examined the envelope. As the young clerk returned it to Judge Brown, Faith slid to the edge of her chair and noticed that everyone else did, too. “The anticipation is nerve-racking,” she murmured to David.

Brian heard, “Why are you concerned?”

Faith clamped her teeth over her bottom lip. Under the table she had her fingers crossed that Brian’s name would be inside that envelope. Not because she relished a fight with him, but if she ultimately lost, she’d far rather Brian raise the babies than Nick and Shelby. By now, she would have thought he’d know how she felt.

The silence in the room was taut with suspense as Judge Brown slid a letter opener under the envelope flap. Her agonizingly slow rip of the paper had the same effect on the room’s occupants as running fingernails down a chalkboard.

All drew in deep breaths when the judge extracted two sheets of paper from the envelope. “For the benefit of the record,” the judge stated, “let it show that I’ve removed individual reports on blood drawn September fourth by a hematologist at First Memorial Hospital laboratory. One report is for Nickolas G. Carter II, the other for Brian T. Littrell, M.D.”

Judge Brown perused first one sheet of paper, then the other as the keys to the stenowriter clicked softly. “My God!” she burst out. Both papers slipped from her fingers and fluttered to the floor. The judge’s eyes, indeed her whole face, reflected her shock. Composing herself with an effort, she bent and retrieved the pages. She seemed at a loss for words for several seconds, though she had to be aware that her entire audience leaned forward in their chairs.

“In my twenty years of serving in various capacities with Family Court, I’ve never run across anything like this. Chloe Hyatt-Littrell’s twins were fathered separately.”

The clients all swiveled and looked to their lawyers for clarification. The legal counselors, in turn, peered confoundedly at Judge Brown.

The elder Carter tumbled first to what Judge Brown meant. He clapped his son on the back. “I knew it. I knew it all along. You have a son. I have a grandson at last!”

Pandemonium erupted with his declaration. The noise level in the room rose to deafening heights. In the absence of a gavel, Judge Brown pounded her fist on the desk and shouted for silence. “Stop this!” she ordered in her most imperious voice. “This is not a free-for-all, ladies and gentlemen. This is a child-custody hearing. Now then,” she said sternly, tugging down her suit jacket. “Mr. Carter has the right idea, only he’s incorrect in his deduction. According to the DNA test results, the cord blood of the female child who, for the record, bears the name Elyse Julianne Littrell, matches the blood drawn from Nick Carter. Whereas, cord blood of the male, known for the record as Evan Joshua Littrell, bears the exact imprint of Brian Littrell’s DNA.”

Following a stunned silence, voices again escalated throughout the room. Again, the judge pounded for order, this time with less success.

Bob Schlegel jumped to his feet. He stood, scowling around the room until talk tapered off, the stopped altogether. “Those tests are obviously erroneous,” he bellowed, his face florid. “I’ve handled custody cases for over twenty years, and I’ve never heard of anything as preposterous as separate fathers of twins.”

Nancy Matz placed a hand on her partner’s arm. “I believe it’s possible, Bob. Not long ago, I saw a television documentary that dealt with this very thing.”

He gaped at her. “Twins—-with different fathers?”

James Maxwell, Brian’s attorney, straightened his tie. “I can’t quote names or dates, but my wife read a true account in one of her women’s magazines recently. It dealt with twins having two fathers. She found it so fascinating; she read me most of the article at breakfast one morning. Ahem...we’d need to each document this one ourselves, of course, but here’s the gist of how such a phenomena is possible, if I remember correctly.”

He paused, drawing a hand through his hair. “In a typical ovulation cycle, one or more eggs are released into a woman’s fallopian tubes. After that, there’s a window of two or three days during which conception can occur. So, as you can see, this phenomenon—-two babies, two fathers, one birth—-is certainly possible, although it’s very rare.”

Judge Brown re-read both reports then thumbed back through her notes. “In our initial hearing, both Mr. Carter and Dr. Littrell claimed to have been intimate with Chloe Hyatt-Littrell within a two-day period. Naturally, I’d want to see some expert corroboration before we proceed. But a good place to begin, Counselors, might be with the American Society for Reproductive Medicine.”

“Proceed?” Shouted Keith Schlegel, who’d remained mute during the previous uproar. “The place to start is with new DNA blood work. This must be some lab technician’s idea of a joke.”

“It’s no joke, Mr. Schlegel,” Judge Brown informed him. “I’ll have my clerk run copies of these data sheets right now for everyone involved. The testing lab is reputable. They do the work on some of our most sensitive criminal cases. What we have is an unusual, possibly even test case involving dual paternity.”

Brian groped until her found Faith’s hand. They clung together mutely. Nick and Shelby both slumped back in their chairs, while the separate attorneys rallied and began to argue loudly.

Nancy Matz, after hastily conferring with her partners, paced before the judge. “This case is really open-and-shut. If we all buy into the premise that the DNA testing is valid, then dispensation is simple. Nick and Shelby should be awarded custody of Elyse, and Dr. Littrell gets Evan. Let’s end this today.”

David slammed his hand flat to the table, “Such a decision doesn’t begin to address my client’s claim. I don’t give a damn if the babies have separate biological fathers. They have a common biological mother. A mother who clearly stated, while she was of sound mind and body, that she wanted her sister, my client, to receive custody of her offspring.”

James Maxwell punched an index finger in the air. “I believe that even your client said Chloe Littrell wasn’t aware she carried twins. That fact, if nothing else, should nullify her wishes.”

Bob Schlegel’s voice rumbled from the far side of the room. “My client’s father has offered to pay for new DNA tests. He and his son both feel a strong kinship to baby Evan. They aren’t prepared to accept this lab’s report.”

The judge glanced over sharply. “I’m not sure I’ll agree. Further testing would necessitate leaving the twins in foster care another four to six weeks. That’s assuming any lab you all agree on could draw blood today. And since the cord blood has already been used, you have to petition the court to draw blood from the infants.”

“Couldn’t they have mouth swabs?” this suggestion came from Nancy Matz.

“As complicated as this promises to be,” said the judge, “my bottom-line concern is to impact the children as minimally as possible.”

“We agree.” Chorused the two state social workers.

Barbara Lang pulled out her notebook. “The twins have settled nicely with Ms. Hyatt. Daniel and I recommend in our report that she be allowed to continue caring for the twins while custody can be finalized. In fact, she and Dr. Littrell did a fine job of co-parenting as we noted.”

Faith and Brian both gasped. They hugged spontaneously, expressions of amazement etched on their faces.

A flurry of activity erupted in the Carter camp. Bob Schlegel hitched up his pants and cleared his throat. “On behalf of our client, your Honor, we object to Dr. Littrell being allowed a larger role in the twins’ lives than are Mr. and Mrs. Carter. They have substantial estate to run in New York, as well as other pressing obligations. It places a hardship on them to commute to Boston.”

“What would you suggest, Counselor?” Judge Brown shot back, “If you recall, Dr. Littrell’s home and surgical practice are also in New York. He obviously thought the babies were worth an investment of his time.”

“Surely you aren’t taking sides, Judge?” Keith Schlegel interjected in a calm, reasonable voice. “Haven’t the DNA results moved us into completely different territory? I suggest we all need time to adequately prepare appeals.”

Nancy Matz, who’d been in a huddle with Nick’s father, again got slowly to her feet. “In fairness to all concerned, we respectfully request the babies be placed in state-approved foster care for the duration of this custody settlement.”

“No!” Faith’s cry pierced the air, echoed by David Reed.

“This is obviously not in the children’s best interests,” he went on. “And it is unacceptable to my client.” Faith gripped the sleeve of Brian’s suit coat and implored him with tear-filled eyes.

White-faced, Brian covered her hands. His thumbs rubbed warmth into the backs of hers. “James,” he recited, never taking his eyes from Faith. “I’ll agree to return to New York if I must. But why disrupt the babies’ lives? They aren’t to blame for how this turned out.”

Hell broke out again, with the Carters’ lawyers shouting to be heard. Judge Brown again demanded order.

“You all seem to forget that I’m the one who makes the decisions with regard to placement of the Littrell twins. I say we leave things as they are for now and reconvene in these quarters three weeks from today at the same hour for the purpose of presenting expert testimony.” She held up a hand when Bob Schlegel started to register an objection.

“My decisions is final. Mr. and Mrs. Carter are welcome, urged in fact, to spend time with Elyse and Evan. Furthermore, I’m ordering Ms. Hyatt to allow them free access to the babies. By that, I mean whenever they can get to Boston.” Her tone held a finality that brooked no requests for change or any dissension.

However, Bob Schlegel was like a dog with a bone.

“If the same applies to Dr. Littrell, he’ll be in Boston every day. It’s evident from the report filed by Social Services that he’s been shacking up with Ms. Hyatt.”

Brian bounded to his feet, fists clenched. James Maxwell yanked him back into his chair. “Don’t play into his hands.” He hissed.

David said virtually the same to Faith, who’d also bristled at the accusation.

The judge sent Schlegel a withering glance. “I’ll ask you to refrain from using crudities in these hearings, please. Mr. Burgess and Ms. Lang verified that Dr. Littrell rented an apartment in the building where Ms. Hyatt lives. Your clients are equally free to take up residence in Boston until this matter is settled, if they so choose. As a matter of fact, I realize I’ve forgotten to set child support payments.” She named a monthly fee. “Both Mr. Carter and Mr. Littrell will pay that amount to the court, retroactive to the children’s birth.” This time she slammed down a gavel, which a young clerk had hastened to bring her.

Reed gathered his legal pads and stuffed them inside his briefcase. He all but kicked up his heels in glee. “Man, oh, man. What a case. Whoever wins this will be assured a niche in legal history.”

James Maxwell did rub his hands together. “Don’t get too far from the phone,” he advised Brian. “Oh. And refuse to speak with reporters. They’ll turn this into a sideshow if we let them.”

“Reporters?” Brian, who’d stood and caught Faith’s arm, turned back. “Why would reporters show any interest in a simple custody case?” He asked James.

“There’s nothing simple about this case now.”

“He’d no sooner spoken then the door flew inward and reporters and cameramen streamed into the room. Ignoring the judge’s admonishments to leave immediately, the men and women stuck microphones in the faces of lawyers and clients alike.

Shelby Carter shrank into her husband’s side. Pushing at the microphone, she began to sob against Nick’s shoulder.

“Who leaked this information?” Bob Schlegel roared.

“Good question,” Brian echoed, reaching for Faith, he sheltered her under his arm and began shoving his way through the mass of bodies toward the back door.

At a frantic call from the judge, policemen armed with nightsticks muscled their way into the room. “All right,” one sergeant shouted. “This is private chambers. Let’s clear the room.”

A particularly determined fellow and his cameraman stuck close behind Brian and Faith.

Out of breath, Brian handed Faith into the front seat of his car. “No, comment.” He growled after each question. “Get out from in front of my car, buddy, or I’ll run you over.”

“What’s wrong with these people?” Faith gasped as the flashes blinded her. “Brian, we have to go back to the apartment. Gwen won't know anything about this. We can't have her opening the door and letting these jerks get pictures of the babies.”

“Those chambers walls must have ears.” Brain said. “There are always reporters hanging around a courthouse for a big story.”

Faith looked stricken. “Now they’ll exploit the whole sordid mess leading up to Chloe’s death.”

She covered her face with her hands to avoid being photographed by a woman who stepped off the curb as Brian wheeled the BMW around the corner of the courthouse.

His expression grim, Brian took the last corner on two wheels. Once they’d left the prying eyes behind, he slid an arm around Faith and pulled her against his shoulder. “The stories can’t hurt Chloe now, sweetheart. My main concern is keeping you and the babies from being hurt.”

Faith hauled in a deep breath. Brian’s jacket smelled of a light, earthy scent she’d come to connect with him...and a feeling of safety. It was odd, given the volatility of their relationship till now, but she did trust Brian to make the right decisions when it came to protecting the babies.

But could anyone protect them from the battle that was sure to heat up over the next three weeks?