- Text Size +
“This can’t be normal, Kev.” Brian said as he handed Nick a cold wascloth, who gladly accepted it to wipe his face clean for the third time in forty minutes. The older man was rubbing Nick’s back as he looked at his cousin. “I don’t know, Rok. How are you feeling, buddy? Are you still nauseous?”
Nick closed his eyses for a second, rubbing his temples before he looked at Kevin with a sad smile on his face. “No, I’m fine.” Earlier he had decided to fight this thing, and if this was what it took, he’d do it. “But this was only the third time they gave you the chemo, Frack. I think you shouldn’t be this sick already.”
“I don’t know, Frick.” Nick slowly leaned back against the pillows, trying to not think of the nauseau that still plagued him, in which he succeeded, for now. “I’m hungry.”
“Hungry?” Brian echoed. “Now?”
“What did you expect? He’s always hungry.” Kevin chuckled as he got hit over the head by the youngest man in the room. “Thanks, Kev.” But as his thoughts went over to what he was craving for, a hamburger with a large portion of French fries, he felt the nauseau coming back at full force, leaning over the bucket just in time. The two cousins glanced at each other, knowing this wasn’t going the way it was supposed to.

~~~~

"So, how are we doing today Nickolas?" Dr. Peterson sighed as he closed the door behind him, walking over to his desk and taking a seat. Nick simply glared at the older man, rolling his eyes as he sunk further into the chair, his arms crossed defiantely against his chest. "Ah, bright, talkative and chipper as usual, I see."
"Funny." Nick muttered darkly, adjusting his hat with a small huff. The chemotherapy treatments had allowed him to experience one of the most common side effects; hair loss. Something he was extremely aggitated over and just one more reminder everytime he looked into a mirror of the shit hole his life had become. "So what is it this time?"
"Right to the point, aren't you?"

The younger man shrugged, his eyes drifting to the window and lingering on the distant ocean for a moment. God how he missed his boat. And swimming. He hadn't been in a pool or in the ocean for months. "Nick? You with me?"
"Huh? Oh, yeah."
"Okay, now, your recent x-rays have shown that while the chemo is working, it isn't exactly working at the rate I would have preferred it to." A groan slipped from Nick and his head fell back, hitting the top of the chair as he shut his eyes.
"You're kidding, right?"
"I'm afraid not." Dr. Peterson smiled softly.
"So after three months of this shit, nothing has changed?" Nick exclaimed, staring disbelievingly at the man before him.
"Not nothing," The doctor sighed, taking off his glasses and placing them on the desk. "Nick, your results show that the chemo IS shrinking the tumors but it's not working very quickly. The reason I wanted to speak to you this afternoon is because I feel it would be best to double the amount of chemotherapy you're currently receiving."

"WHAT?!" Nick had shot to his feet the moment the doctor had finished his sentence, his eyes wide. "You're fucking kidding me, right?"
"Sit down please." The blonde ignored the request, his chest heaving as he continued to stare. "I'm NOT going to sit! Y-you can't be serious!"
"Listen to me Nick, if you want to get rid of this disease you've got to double your treatments. If not," Dr. Peterson trailed off with a slight shrug. "There's no point in even continuing with everything. Might as well just give up now."
"But I thought you said the chemo was working."
"It is. Slowly. By the time it actually worked in a way that made a difference, your cancer could have spread."

"This is insane." Nick mumbled, sinking down into the chair with a shake of his head. "So you want me to come four times a week instead of two?"
"Not really,"
"But I thought you-"
"I want to admit you premanently, so to speak, into the hospital." Dr. Peterson rushed out, cutting off the young man. Nick's jaw dropped at the suggestion, his blue eyes going wide again. "Are you trying to kill me?" He finally sighed, running a hand over his face tiredly as he sunk further back into his seat.
"On the contrary Nick, I'm trying to save you." The doctor sat back in his own seat, a tired smile darting across his face. "Look, I know this is a lot to take and-"
"You fuckin got that right."
"And," Dr. Peterson continued, rolling his eyes slightly. "It seems like you're doing a lot of shit for nothing." Nick raised an eyebrow at the cuss word, a slight smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "Yes, I can swear too. Anyways Nick, let me explain my reasonings for submitting you into observation."
"Go ahead," Nick waved the man before him forward, after letting out a long breath.

"You know the side effects so far of the chemotherapy." Nick let out a snort at the statement. "Like I said, you know the side effect. Increasing the dosage will increase the side effects. Therefore, I feel it is in your best interest to remain here."
"For how long?"
"A couple of months, at the least."
"I-I really need to think about all this."
"Understandable. While I don't mind you considering moving into the hospital, I must stress the importance of the treatment. And I will need a decision by the time of your appointment tomorrow."
"Alright." Nick breathed, getting to his feet. "I'll see you tomorrow then?"
"Until then." Dr. Peterson nodded, waving slightly.

Nick slowly made his way out of the office, his mind spinning as he walked down the twisting hallways and into the waiting room. He spotted Howie immediately, sitting quietly in a corner chair, reading a Highlights magazine. Smirking at his older friend, Nick entered the room, plopping down in the seat next to the Latino and causing him to jump slightly.
"Hey D."
"Nicky!" Howie cried, his hand moving to his heart as the magazine fell into his lap. "Damn you scared me. How was your appointment with the doctor?"
"S'okay." Nick shrugged, picking up the magazine. "You missed the toaster." He pointed out, tapping at the tree trunk on the page and glancing at Howie who turned red and snatched the Highlights magazine out of his hand, throwing it onto the table beside him.
"I wasn't doing that."
"Uh huh."
"Brat." Howie muttered, reaching over and messing with Nick's hat. The younger man slapped his hands away, frowning deeply. "So what did the doctor have to say?"
"Where's Jay?" Nick interjected, looking around the room.
"Outside. He needed a smoke."
"I thought he was gonna quit? Kevin will KILL him if he finds out."
"He's trying Nicky but he's stressed you know. We all are." A sympathetic smile appeared on Howie's face as Nick looked at him, cocking his head to the side slowly.
"Am I burdening you guys?"
"That's not what I meant," The older man rushed out. "Not at all. Nick we would never, ever think-"
"Dr. Peterson wants to admit me into the hospital permanently D." Nick said softly, his eyes falling to the floor. "What? Why?" Howie's eyes went wide as he stared at Nick, his brown gaze full of worry. "Oh god Nicky, it's not getting worse...is it?"
"Well, it's not really getting better." Nick looked up as a few people entered the room. "I'll explain in the car. I wanna go home anyways."

"Sure bud." They were up and halfway down the hall when they ran into AJ, who greeted them both with a loud yell. "Ssshh!" Howie reprimanded as he slapped AJ on the back, tugging him along. "Would you please remember we ARE in a hospital?"
"Sorry, sorry." The rebel sighed. "So what did the doc have to say kid?"
"I'll tell you in the car." Nick repeated, stuffing his hands in his pocket as he closed his eyes briefly, feeling sick to his stomach.
"You okay Nicky?" AJ asked, rubbing his younger friend's back, his hyper attitude falling away as he noticed the change in the youth's demeanor.
"I need to sit down."
"We're almost at the car," Howie stated, looking worridly at Nick. "Are you okay or do you need to stop?"
"I'm good." Nick whispered, wavering slightly on his feet as he walked.
"Oookay." AJ sighed, his arms coming around Nick's back. "Take it easy, we're about there."