- Text Size +
Brian was still at the chapel thinking back to when things were normal. Eyes closed, all sorts of memories flashed before him. The day the two of them met. They were all young, but Nick was such a kid. Innocent, naive, which was normal for a kid his age ofcourse, but there was something very special about him. Back then, he didn’t notice. That day, the only thing that was obvious from the moment they saw each other, was that the two of them would become best friends. Frick and Frack, pulling pranks on the others, driving Kevin mad most of the time, since they both couldn’t sit still and had a short attention span.

How he wished they could go back to those days, back to normalcy. He knew they still had a long way to go before they even got close to that, if they’d ever find their way back home. Nick had to make it through, none of them would ever be the same if he’d lose the fight. But things hadn’t been going better lately, they only kept getting worse. Before his outburst, he always appeared to be so strong, Brian felt he hardly had to worry about Nick’s mental strength, for it seemed to be unbreakable ever since he had started the treatment.
Ofcourse there had been times of exhaustion, breakdowns, harsch words, but most of the time, Nick kept fighthing. And now, he had blamed it all on them. Even though Brian knew he didn’t mean any of it, it opened the older man’s eyes. Indeed, they kept pushing him, but it was out of love, not anger. They needed him to be around, he needed him. “I just wish I could fight for him.. like I promised him to..” he whispered as he rubbed his face, feeling helpless and lost.

He slowly got to his feet, knowing he should go back to the others to see if there was any news. As he walked towards the doors, for some reason his attention was drawn to the candles next to it. He knew he lit the one in the middle, but it was no longer burning, which seemed strange to him. The others still were, so draught couldn’t have put the little flame out. For the second time, he grabbed a match and lit the candle for his best friend. After a few seconds, the flame was blown out. Brian even saw it this time. At first he thought it was his breathing that put it out, but then he noticed the other candles were still burning strong, their flames not even flickering. “It must be the candle.. the wick or something.” he muttered under his breath, feeling fear creeping up on him, what if this was an omen of some sort?

He shook his head, thinking he was losing it. Ofcourse it wasn’t an omen, there was just something wrong with the candle. For the third time, he struck a match and now lit the candle on the right. “For you Nick. This is our fight, not yours alone.. You fight, I fight.” Having said those words, he turned towards the doors, pushing them open gently as he walked into the hallway. When the doors closed behind him, the little flame was still burning strong.

~~~~~

Nick was slowly rocking back and forth, trying to find the strength to get up again, but the pain was too much, making him shiver and sick to his stomach, a feeling he was familair with ever since he started the chemo. Ever since he got the Xialodac, things went downhill even more. He was exhausted to the point he didn’t think he could ever open his eyes again, and so sick that it was hard to keep even a simple sip of water down. Life sometimes didn’t seem worth while anymore. Occasionally he had thought giving up would be so much easier. The pain, the nauseau were too much to take when he had been throwing up all night, getting cramps, the dizziness and the pain in the eyes of his friends, it was so hard to handle. But now, he wanted nothing more than get back to where they were. If only he knew a way..

Slowly he lifted his head, hoping something had changed, but it was still pitch black, he couldn’t see his own hands or feet. He closed his eyes for a second, not that it changed anything about the situation, but it did gave him a somewhat feeling of safety, which was ridiculous when he thought of the pain he was in. He tried to think of the old days, the way the others were protective of him to the point where he hated them for doing so. But he couldn’t picture any memories from his past, not even the last few days. All he could see was the pain, the throwing up, the hell he went through. It almost felt as if Death was trying to convince him to give up. That feeling scared the shit out of the blonde, but on the other hand it convinced him that he had to try again to go back to his friends. “Brian..please.. I’m so sorry for saying those things.. I need your help, can’t do this alone..” he sighed. “Please.. fi-fight for me..”

As out of nowhere, he was on his feet again, still in excruciating pain, but at least he was standing. Carefully he took one small step forward, immediately another wave of pain hit him, which almost caused him to collapse again, but this time, he only staggered, trying to keep his balance. With each following step, he felt sicker and sicker, to the point where he thought he had no choice but to give up. Just as he was about to, he noticed something in the distance. He squinted his eyes, trying to make out what it was he saw. Curiosity helped him take another three steps forward, still not sure of what it was that was before him.

All of a sudden, a faint light appeared at the end of the tunnel. It wasn’t even close to the brightness of the light at the other end, it was more like a soft gleam. Within that glow, he saw a figure standing. As he kept shuffling, he tried to make out who it was, but all he saw was a silhouette. The pain was still there, but it was softened, and he was no longer freezing. Instead, he felt as if he was embraced, it was slowly filling him with warmth and comfort.
He kept moving forward, still unable to see who was waiting for him at the end, but it all became clear when he heard a familair voice.
“This is our fight, Frack. I fight, you fight..”
A smile danced onto the young man’s face, knowing he could make it through when he was there to help him. “Together we fight..” Having said those words, he knew he made it. “We.. We made it..”

When those words were spoken, Nick felt himself going back to where he wanted to be. At the same time, back in the chapel, the flame of the candle that Brian lit for his best friend, flared up once, before it returned to it’s normal state..