- Text Size +
Really short chapter.. but you'll understand why that is when you read the chapter after this.. So don't throw rocks at us please.. ;o)
_____________________________________

“I’m sorry guys.. I shouldn’t have taken-”
“Nick if you apologize one more time, I’m gonna have to get some ducktape to shut you up, alright?”
Kevin smiled at his youngest brother as he gently slapped his leg. “We know you didn’t mean it, we’re not angry and yes, we know you’re an idiot.”
“Yeah, what he said, especially the last part.” Brian chuckled, followed by laughter from the others at his remark. “Seriously Nick, it’s okay, really.” Howie smiled at him, knowing he was still feeling guilty for the things he said. His apology two days ago was sincere, Howie could tell in the way the youngest struggled with words, tried to explain his behavior and apologized more than ten times.

Nick smiled at the sight of his four friends around and on his bed. He was so blessed to have them as brothers. Brian was sitting on his bed, being as funny as ever, lightening up the spirit every few minutes. His best friend, the guy who had once again saved his ass, but this time, ofcourse it was more serious. He had tried to thank him, but felt like no words could ever expres his gratitude. “But guys..” he tried again. He just felt like he had to make everything right, just in case.. just in case he wouldn’t pull through.
“Nick..” Kevin grinned. “Don’t even think about it.” He cleared his throat before he went onto a serious note. “So is there any news on your treatment or anything?” The youngest shook his head. “Dr. Peterson will come by later today to..”

Nick stopped as he heard the door open and turned his head to see it was actually the doctor himself who stepped in. As he walked towards the bed, he asked Nick how he was feeling. He replied he was doing okay, but that breathing was sometimes giving him trouble and that he was exhausted. The other four looked at him, their expressions filled with worry. They knew about the constant exhaustion, but he had kept the troubles he experienced with breathing from them.

“So, is there any news on how you will treat Nick from now on?” Kevin asked, trying to be the fatherly type by asking the question he knew the others wanted to ask but were afraid to. Dr. Peterson nodded. “That’s why I’m here. Nick, I think I already know the answer, but I still need to ask. Do you want me to tell you in private or..?”
“No.” The youngest shook his head smiling as he felt Brian gently squeezing his leg, followed by a wink that said everything was going to be alright. “They can stay.”
“Alright.” The doctor stood at the foot of the bed, holding Nick’s chart with both hands. He cleared his throat as he watched the five men, each of them looking at him with their expectations set high. This was not going to be easy.

“Nick, I’m afraid I don’t have anything good to tell you. Th-the.. We looked at your case with a team of specialists, and at this point in time, we don’t know how we can help you.”
“W-wait a minute..” Kevin stuttered, being the only one to already realise what this could mean for his youngest brother. “W-what are you saying exactly? There must be something you can do..” he trailed off as he slowly shook his head.

Dr. Peterson focused his attention on his young patient and for now ignored the older man’s question, since it was Nick who had to be told everything as soon and clear as possible, even though he didn’t know how to accomplish both tasks. “I’m sorry Nick, but since you were allergic to the Xialodac, your body weakened even more, and as you know, the tumors grew. Your body isn’t able to handle another dosis of chemo and we see no other way of treating you at this point. We are still investigating other options though, and are in contact with other specialists from all over the world. Again, I’m so sorry Nick, but I think you have to consider the fact that.. that we won’t find a cure.” He sighed and closed his eyes for a second, knowing it was the hospital’s fault his patient got the wrong chemo in the first place. Maybe, if he’d been put on the right treatment from the start, he wouldn’t be in here, he wouldn’t have to tell him that he, a 25 year old man, might die. Surprisingly, it was Nick himself who snapped the doctor out of his thoughts.

“It’s okay.” He said as he lifted the oxygen mask for a second, looking at the doctor, as he tried to avoid seeing his friends, knowing Kevin and Howie were crying, A.J. was getting angry and Brian was just staring at him, trying to read his mind. He himself was calm, even though he heard and understood every word his doctor had just said. “Really, it is.”
“How..how can you say that Nicky?” Kevin wiped away the tears as he stared at him.
“Because..” he coughed, then took in a deep breath before he finished his sentence. “Because I’m gonna be okay. We’ll find a way. Right Frick?” he asked his best friend, who jumped a little in surprise at the question, but quickly recovered his composture. Thesmile he gave him, as he nodded, was sincere. “Right Frack. We can do this. Together, we can win this fight.”